Look what was in my newspaper today!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

starsgoblue

Blue Crack Addict
Band’s journey parallels look of frontman Bono
ocowz

Friday, November 26, 2004

Patrick Kastner

THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH
Those who don’t care for U2 are advised not to turn on their television or radio or read any entertainment publications for the next 365 days or so. For this will be the year of U2.

If the omnipresent iPod commercials aren’t enough, consider this: The four lads from Dublin have returned this week with a critically acclaimed new album, How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb, and a world tour will begin early next year. And the band is a shoo-in to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in January.

We didn’t want to be left out of the U2 marketingblitz fun. So, in the spirit of media saturation, we offer a look back at U2 through the fashion statements of the band’s loquacious frontman, Bono.

pkastner@dispatch.com 

ocoph

1. EARLY CLUELESSNESS (1979-82)
Bono’s look: That’s not hair; that’s a dead animal!
Quintessential song: I Will Follow becomes the band’s first hit, featuring a driving beat and guitarist the Edge’s prototypical blistering runs. But the title isn’t inspiring. The future biggest rock band in the world does not follow; it leads.

ocoqf

2. HEARTS ON THEIR SLEEVES (1983-84)
Bono’s look: Yes, Virginia, that is a mullet.
Quintessential song: Sunday Bloody Sunday is the band’s call to arms for peace. U2 finds its voice in songs protesting violence and intolerance — and its fashion sense (in a messed-up, ’80s sort of way).

ocor8

3. THE IMPORTANCE OF BEING EARNEST (1985-89)
Bono’s look: Rail-ridin’ hobo or extra from a Charlie Chaplin movie?
Quintessential song: Where the Streets Have No Name — the slowly building, anthemic opener of the band’s biggestselling album, The Joshua Tree (1986) — drips earnestness, as does everything about U2 during this era. The band’s uber-sensitive look consists of puffy shirts, vests and ponytails.

ocos3

4. LOOK, MA! IRONY! (1990-93)
Bono’s look: Slicked-back hair, big black sunglasses, lots of leather. This is how rock stars dress, baby!
Quintessential song: Mysterious Ways arrives as the hit single you can dance to. In the biggest 180-degree turn ever by a rock band, U2 goes from vomit-inducing sincerity to irony-drenched postmodernism in the course of one album, 1991’s Achtung Baby.

ocosz

5. POP TARTS (1994-99)
Bono’s look: Umm, Robin Williams . . . at a rave . . . with a buzz cut?
Quintessential song: Numb, a throbbing, spoken-word disco song is monotonously recited by the Edge. U2 loses its edge in a world of techno music, giant lemons and failed engagements to supermodels, leaving many of its fans scratching their heads and wishing for the good old days of lectures from Bono on the evils of American imperialism.

ocow7

6. ROCK STARS WHO FELL TO EARTH (2000- PRESENT)
Bono’s look: Distinguished elder rock star
Quintessential song: Beautiful Day, a return-to-the-roots rocker that opens 2000’s All That You Can’t Leave Behind, signals a readiness to marry experimentalism with the arena-rocking U2 of old. And the modern-day Bono needs a multifunctional look: He must be comfortable playing rock star, partying with Christina Aguilera and Michael Stipe or power-lunching with the pope and George W. Bush while championing projects such as Third World debt relief.

I must have this!!! :scream:

I'm trying to put together a comprehensive guide to Bono's clothing... um can you say what paper it was in, the bookstore I go to carries a lot of different papers.

oops, better go take my meds :eeklaugh:

Thank you, stars, from a newbie. :)

I don't know if this is the place to say it, but I love coming to PLEBA. You guys are the best forum on Interference. I've had alot of problems lately with my job, and coming here always makes me smile. You girls really know how to make a person's day. So thanks!

Miss Becky! :hug: I'm a Rebekah too! :D

We always love having others come and join us here in PLEBA....makes us all feel like were not so insane! I can relate, I've had some rough times lately too and the PLEBA girls are always ready to lend a virtual ear.

I'm assuming you're a Bono girl...so here's a little pressie from me to you....Bono being a sexy beast!
ocwvc

Welcome to PLEBA! :heart:

starsgoblue said:
Miss Becky! :hug: I'm a Rebekah too! :D

We always love having others come and join us here in PLEBA....makes us all feel like were not so insane! I can relate, I've had some rough times lately too and the PLEBA girls are always ready to lend a virtual ear.

I'm assuming you're a Bono girl...so here's a little pressie from me to you....Bono being a sexy beast!
ocwvc

Welcome to PLEBA! :heart:

Stars you never disappoint! :drool:

miss becky said:
Thank you, stars, from a newbie. :)

I don't know if this is the place to say it, but I love coming to PLEBA. You guys are the best forum on Interference. I've had alot of problems lately with my job, and coming here always makes me smile. You girls really know how to make a person's day. So thanks!

:hug:

Pleba is a great stress reliever :yes:

Yes, Numb was not on Pop! And that 2004 pic is really 2001! They should have gotten PLEBAns to give them the right stuff!

U2Kitten said:
Yes, Numb was not on Pop! And that 2004 pic is really 2001! They should have gotten PLEBAns to give them the right stuff!

No doubt that PLEBA ladies would not make such mistakes...It irks me when misinformation is thrown out there..Like on the 100 Hotties last year...that ding-bat that was hosting the show *gosh i can't remember her name right now, she is currently married to Charlie Sheen* anyway she said that the Bono-Vox translated to "beautiful voice"....We all know it's "Good Voice'..you know details like that, that to us are so common others screw up....

hey now, i LIKED his boy hair
the mullet i could have done without
and robin williams in POP? what the feck?
its such a treat to find random u2 stuff. I had a heart attack when i looked at a new stand and saw them on the cover of the arizona sunday paper

Lol....well ladies I do know that there was misinformation BUT this was a whole back newspaper page on Bono!!

If you guys are really irked, the email address is in the article (wink, wink)....if you do write maybe make sure to mention PLEBA somehow--if he writes a correction he might jest at the legions of women who adore this man :wink:

:heart:

kellyahern said:

:hug:

Pleba is a great stress reliever :yes:

Absolutely!

I think my favorite thread was a few weeks ago. The one where you guys were giving captions to photographs. The captions were so funny and creative, I was just sitting at my desk at work on my lunch hour, laughing my head off. :)

starsgoblue said:
[BIf you guys are really irked, the email address is in the article (wink, wink)....if you do write maybe make sure to mention PLEBA somehow--if he writes a correction he might jest at the legions of women who adore this man[/B]

Well, I did what you said stars...I wrote a long letter to Patrick K. I probably mentioned PLEBA 20 times, and I made sure to let him know what PLEBA means. I told him that if Bono reads the article his feelings are going to be really hurt....being compared to Robin Williams, yet again! I let him know that all us 'nuts' here at PLEBA loved the article.

Stars, let me know if you come across another article. Paducah sucks....I doubt that there is anyone else here who even knows who Larry Mullen, The Edge, or Adam Clayton are. I do think that everyone knows who Bono is, only thing is everyone pronounces it Bone-O....that just drives me CrAzY!! I know I take it personally...I guess I am a little crazy.

Anyways, thank you for posting the article...it was great! I don't care what anyone else has said to you, you take such great care of us here at PLEBA stars. PLEBA wouldn't be the same without you girl! :D

clementine_rose said:

Well, I did what you said stars...I wrote a long letter to Patrick K. I probably mentioned PLEBA 20 times, and I made sure to let him know what PLEBA means. I told him that if Bono reads the article his feelings are going to be really hurt....being compared to Robin Williams, yet again! I let him know that all us 'nuts' here at PLEBA loved the article.

Stars, let me know if you come across another article. Paducah sucks....I doubt that there is anyone else here who even knows who Larry Mullen, The Edge, or Adam Clayton are. I do think that everyone knows who Bono is, only thing is everyone pronounces it Bone-O....that just drives me CrAzY!! I know I take it personally...I guess I am a little crazy.

Anyways, thank you for posting the article...it was great! I don't care what anyone else has said to you, you take such great care of us here at PLEBA stars. PLEBA wouldn't be the same without you girl! :D

Clementine! You warm my heart...you're so cute! :heart:

I'm writing a little freindly note to Patrick too---hey at the most he'll have to run a little correction, more publicity for the boys, right?!

Hey thanks for sharing, Starsgoblue! I used to live in C-bus. I kinda miss it....mostly I just miss my AWESOME apartment in German Village. :(

PaleBlueDot said:
Hey thanks for sharing, Starsgoblue! I used to live in C-bus. I kinda miss it....mostly I just miss my AWESOME apartment in German Village. :(

:wave:

If I lived in German Village I'd be a huge fatass because I'd be gorging at Katzinger's Deli every day! :drool:

Come back to the C-bus and visit for the tour! :yes:

u2bonogirl said:
hey now, i LIKED his boy hair
the mullet i could have done without

What I find funny is that these writers mock Bono's hairstyles from the early 80s (the shag cut and the mullet), yet they totally forget that nearly everyone wore a shag cut or a mullet in the early 80s! Yeah, those haircuts look silly now, just like a bouffant or a ducktail, but they were quite acceptable in that timeframe. :der:

Back
Top Bottom