Lola's at it again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
biff said:
it is true that I know a lot of personal information about the band that no one else would know.

The only problem with that statement is that it is just not true!

Unless she's referring to the length of their inseams or something like that...and they've had other stylists, so *thats* not exactly exclusive info either.

PM employees, key touring personnel , and their own families are the ones that have that "personal information about the band that no one else would know."

U2Kitten said:

And as far as 'putting his money where his mouth is', NO he doesn't. He puts his mouth where his mouth is, he talks about it all the time, but he doesn't give money.

err... where did you get the idea he's not giving money? :scratch: U2 has officially stated that they won't tell how much money they donate to charity, so we don't know how much they give... but they do!

U2Kitten said:

Ever wonder why Bono doesn't sing "Gloria" anymore? "Oh Lord, if I had anything, I would give it to you..." Now he has so much but he isn't willing to give it away, so he feels guilty singing it!

then why did they sing it on the vertigo tour?

Vertigo Tour
· 2005-03-30 - San Diego, California - San Diego Sports Arena
· 2005-04-15 - Glendale, Arizona - Glendale Arena
· 2005-04-21 - Denver, Colorado - Pepsi Center
· 2005-04-25 - Seattle, Washington - Key Arena
· 2005-04-28 - Vancouver, British Columbia - GM Place
· 2005-05-12 - Chicago, Illinois - United Center
· 2005-05-18 - East Rutherford, New Jersey - Continental Airlines Arena
· 2005-05-22 - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania - Wachovia Center
· 2005-05-26 - Boston, Massachusetts - Fleet Center
· 2005-06-27 - Dublin, Ireland - Croke Park
· 2005-10-14 - New York, New York - Madison Square Garden
· 2005-10-25 - Auburn Hills, Michigan - Palace Of Auburn Hills
· 2005-11-09 - Oakland, California - Oakland Arena
· 2005-12-05 - Boston, Massachusetts - Fleet Center
· 2005-12-07 - Hartford, Connecticut - Civic Center
· 2005-12-09 - Buffalo, New York - HSBC Arena
· 2005-12-10 - Cleveland, Ohio - Gund Arena
· 2005-12-12 - Charlotte, North Carolina - New Charlotte Arena
· 2005-12-14 - St. Louis, Missouri - Savvis Center

That's 19 dates, which means your comment is 19 times declared BullShit!

Last edited:
Originally posted by U2Kitten [/B]

Ever wonder why Bono doesn't sing "Gloria" anymore? "Oh Lord, if I had anything, I would give it to you..." Now he has so much but he isn't willing to give it away, so he feels guilty singing it!

[/B]

You know why NO ONE takes you or your arguements seriously?

Because you don't even bother to use facts!

He performed "Gloria" during the Vertigo tour on several dates...so much for "guilt"!

Worse, when you are given the facts, you disregard them!
"I know the truth--don't confuse me with facts!" blah, blah, blah!!!

U2Kitten said:

OF COURSE he does!! He's the one who brought it up! That is what inspired the African Well Fund! THAT is why I find it so sad and strange that he never acknowledged it until after someone put him on the spot, he never mentions it in any of his speeches, and I am sure he doesn't donate, or he'd make an open plea for others to do the same.

Well, no, it was all over the internet, and the AWF had sent stuff to management about it when they gave him the wells a s a present, waybefore he ever acknowledged it. The problem I have with his 'acknowledgement' is that he only did it after he was put on the spot. I really thought coming from the hearts and small purses of fans it would mean a lot more to him than that.

And as far as 'putting his money where his mouth is', NO he doesn't. He puts his mouth where his mouth is, he talks about it all the time, but he doesn't give money.

I really don't want to feel like I'm "Bono bashing" here, but I do think you devotees need to see the other side to understand how non fans and most average people see him.

Ok..first off no one is a "devotee" in the sense that we don't listen to other people's opinions and consider them. We all are not sitting here going oh, Bono can do no wrong for god's sake! He is human and certainly makes many mistakes. Secondly, none of us I mean NONE OF US really know what Bono truely does with his money in regards to charities. Unless you are his personal accountant or PM's accountant then you have insight as to what is going on. If you are going to state your opinion you should at least make it clear that this is a assumption of yours and not stating as if it were fact. If you have fact then back it up with research (links to articles, statements from books etc.).

um... and to singing Gloria.. He has sung it 19 times this past tour.

Here's the list:

Vertigo Tour

Source: http://www.u2-vertigo-tour.com/song62.html (Axver's site)

EDIT: SORRY GG DIDN'T SEE UR POST.. was taking too long writing mine. :giggle:

weren't we talking about Lola Cashman in this thread? I could of sworn we were..:|

Last edited:
And another thing...
biff said:

"But I know they were angry about even the small details I included in the book. I believe they were concerned that I might spill more details in the future and wanted to silence me.

"The court case was a way to do it and they succeeded. They had the money and the power to steamroll over a small person like me and they did it," she said.

Sure doesn't *look* like they "silenced" her, huh?

The fact that before the law passed Bono said that they wouldn't leave Ireland makes him look a little hypocritical when they did decide to move camp :shrug:

"People think that artists in Ireland are tax free. Our publishing, which is about one third of our income, we have tax breaks on, and that's great and that's encouraged us to stay in Ireland and if that changes, it's not going to affect anything for U2 - but young U2s might have to leave and that would be a shame," said Bono.

biff said:
I guess some people are just easily amused.

As to the "gossip" aspect of this, I still feel that Cashman is looking around for a deal with a tabloid, or even hoping that PM themselves will quietly pay her off to keep her silence. Look at these comments. She has said very much the same thing in each of her recent interviews:

There's still an implied threat here, IMO.

Probably, but I doubt they'll respond to it. Payoffs to keep people quiet seldom work (they just keep coming back for more) and I don't think the folks at PM are that stupid.

As for a tabloid deal...she admits in her own words that she's seen as "unreliable", etc.

Both court verdicts determined that her testimony was inconsistent...which is why she lost.

And I don't know about Ireland, but as someone pointed out in the earlier thread about this, the laws in the U.K. might be different...I read somewhere that the laws were changed; when somebody sues a tabloid over a printed story, the tabloid has to prove the story true ( as opposed to the U.S. where the person suing has to prove it untrue). If this is the case, a woman who has lost two court cases on shaky testimony might be considered a poor risk...not to mention that it was 20 years ago...
...then again even tabloid editors can do stupid things...:|

blueeyedgirl said:

Anita Roddick, founder of the Body Shop, declared years ago she would give away her whole fortune and leave nothing to her children. I can't remember the whole quote but it was on the lines that she had made her way in the world and created her own destiny and she wanted her children to do likewise and not just inherit a living.

Sounds reasonable.

It was probably reasonable for Anita Roddick, and one hopes her children thought it was as well.

However, most parents do work hard and save as much as they can for the express purpose of providing their children with a better and easier life than the one they had themselves. That also sounds reasonable. It's far more common for parents to want to leave their kids an inheritance than it is to deliberately leave them with nothing.

U2Kitten said:

:tsk:

Unless my eyes and ears were deceiving me, I heard them do Gloria live the year before last in Seattle.

I can't imagine what would make you think he doesn't give money away? Rather than bragging about how much he gives, he has decided to use his high profile as a way to encourage other people to give. It shouldn't matter that he doesn't publicly reveal how much he gives, since what is a small amount for him would be huge for most "normal" people. It means more for him to spend his time talking about WHY people should give, and why they should WANT to give, rather than just focusing on *how much* to give.

Chizip said:
The fact that before the law passed Bono said that they wouldn't leave Ireland makes him look a little hypocritical when they did decide to move camp :shrug:

He was talking there about actually physically leaving Ireland, not just moving some of their business offshore. Many artists have become tax exiles from their own countries, and elect to live in other places where they can avoid paying taxes on almost all of their income (Switzerland, for example). U2 still reside in Ireland and pay taxes there. (They are actually paying more tax now than they did before this law was passed, even with having moved the publishing to the Netherlands.)

Chizip said:

I think we have to remember that it's not just Bono's money, and it's not his or even the band's sole decision. You're talking about a corporation with real live accountants and everything.

Not to bash Bono or U2, but it looks bad when we have an idea of how much they are saving in taxes, but no idea of how much they are giving to "charity". I respect U2's decision not to disclose how much they give, but if you are not a U2 fan, then on the face of it, U2 is business savvy, which is fine, and Bono, who is always preaching about "justice" etc is a hypocrite. It's true that Bono is not U2, but he is the face of U2, and I'm sure he has considerable sway in the U2 camp. Some people might go further in conflating Bono and U2 - "Bono IS U2" - and think that U2 are ALL hypocrites. Personally, I believe it looks worse than it actually is.

And I agree that Lola is a sore loser!

Galeongirl said:

err... where did you get the idea he's not giving money? :scratch: U2 has officially stated that they won't tell how much money they donate to charity, so we don't know how much they give... but they do!

then why did they sing it on the vertigo tour?

Vertigo Tour

That's 19 dates, which means your comment is 19 times declared BullShit!

I didn't get to go to any Vertigo concerts, (but I had been to UF, JT, ZOO and Elevation) and I don't follow setlist threads, so I didn't know that. Sure he left that one line in?;)

How do I know he doesn't give his money away? I know it's a good out for those of you defending him to make it okay by pretending maybe he does and we don't know, but come on.

Surely if he did, he'd go public like Gates, to get more attention for the cause, and mostly to inspire more people- and corportations- to give. He doesn't want to get into that, because then people might say, hey Bono, you cry so much for these people, why not cough up the majority of your fortune to save them? What you paid for that new sports car could save thousands of lives. What you paid for your NYC apt. could support thousands of villages for years to come. And think about all the medicine it could buy! But no, one little car and one little 2 bedroom apt. was more important to you. See it's stuff like that which makes him come off as a big mouthed hypocrite to non fans and casual fans.

And since when has Bono ever been 'low profile' about anything? He always says, he wants to use his celebrity as currency. (just not using any of his real currency :lmao: )

Sorry folks if I'm making you think about some things you'd rather not believe, but I would say my view is closer to the truth.

Again I do NOT want to seem like I'm bashing him, but you need to understand how most people who aren't attached to him like us feel about this! It is important even to his cause! I know a guy who frequents general rock message boards, no particular band, and he tells me Bono is universally hated by everyone else but U2 fans (at least that he sees on those boards) as a big mouthed, obnoxious, pretentious, self righteous, hypocritical egotist. If I were him, that would hurt my feelings, and I'd want to do some soul searching and change how I was perceived by the general public. It could also help him with politicians.

Last edited:
mystery girl said:
Not to bash Bono or U2, but it looks bad when we have an idea of how much they are saving in taxes, but no idea of how much they are giving to "charity". I

But if they were really giving a lot to charity, they could write it off on their taxes;) The fact that they won't disclose the amounts makes me even more suspicious the amount is not very high.:sigh:

U2Kitten said:

But if they were really giving a lot to charity, they could write it off on their taxes;) The fact that they won't disclose the amounts makes me even more suspicious the amount is not very high.:sigh:

I hate to break the news to you--but many people don't write off their charitable donations on their taxes. Some take the Biblical "giving in secret" very seriously!

U2Kitten said:

Well, no, it was all over the internet, and the AWF had sent stuff to management about it when they gave him the wells a s a present, waybefore he ever acknowledged it. The problem I have with his 'acknowledgement' is that he only did it after he was put on the spot. I really thought coming from the hearts and small purses of fans it would mean a lot more to him than that.

He acknowledged it the first year of the birthday fundraiser.
http://www.africanwellfund.org/blog/archives/2003_09.html
September 28, 2003

Bono Sends His Thanks

U2's Principle Management has let us know that Bono sends his thanks to the African Well Fund and all who donated to his birthday well with the following message:

To The African Well Fund,

Thanks for the booklet… `U2 O' is the best gift I could have gotten on my birthday. Don't let anyone tell you this stuff is fringe…it's at the very centre of God's purpose for all of us.

Bono, 2003

We are very grateful for this acknowledgement, but the real reward for each of us is the tangible difference that we know we are making in the lives of Africans! Let's keep focusing on that. Thanks so much everyone for all your hard work and contributions to the fund!

I think the last sentence is the most important one.

biff said:

He was talking there about actually physically leaving Ireland, not just moving some of their business offshore.

he said "it's not going to affect anything for U2"

obviously it affected something for U2.

For a guy to go around the world, begging countries for tax dollars, and also to make a big deal about the band staying in Ireland (see the Slane DVD "this is our tribe") and then to move the business operations to another country for tax purposes, he is opening himself up to criticism. Even if it is just the business side of U2, it is still a symbolic move, and it is easy to see how it would rub some people the wrong way.

U2Kitten said:

How do you know?

It's all just generalisations. Just because some people on some rock message boards hate him, doesn't mean everybody who's not a fan does...:eyebrow:

U2Kitten said:
How do I know he doesn't give his money away? I know it's a good out for those of you defending him to make it okay by pretending maybe he does and we don't know, but come on.

Surely if he did, he'd go public like Gates, to get more attention for the cause, and mostly to inspire more people- and corportations- to give.
And since when has Bono ever been 'low profile' about anything? He always says, he wants to use his celebrity as currency. (just not using any of his real currency :lmao: )

Sorry Michelle. I hate to quote myself, but I'll repeat what I said a few pages ago:

On the subject of giving, Bono has several times quoted Matthew 6:

"Be careful not to do your ‘acts of righteousness’ before men, to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven."

"So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you."

And in the Assayas book he said that if he were to give all of his money away, not only would it not be of much help but it would only gain him further criticism. He's pretty much damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

I know many Christians who sincerely believe this, including my
own father-in-law.
As to Bono's own giving, there have been many reports over the years of projects in Africa that he has supported out of his own pocket. He just doesn't brag about it. It's against his beliefs.

Chizip said:

For a guy to go around the world, begging countries for tax dollars, and also to make a big deal about the band staying in Ireland (see the Slane DVD "this is our tribe") and then to move the business operations to another country for tax purposes, he is opening himself up to criticism. Even if it is just the business side of U2, it is still a symbolic move, and it is easy to see how it would rub some people the wrong way.

I agree with you that it certainly opened them up to criticism (no kidding!) and has rubbed many people the wrong way.
No doubt he's managed to square this with himself morally in some way. Who knows, maybe he's given the tax savings to charity. We'll never know (at least not from him).

U2Kitten said:

OF COURSE he does!! He's the one who brought it up! That is what inspired the African Well Fund! THAT is why I find it so sad and strange that he never acknowledged it until after someone put him on the spot, he never mentions it in any of his speeches, and I am sure he doesn't donate, or he'd make an open plea for others to do the same.

I really don't want to feel like I'm "Bono bashing" here, but I do think you devotees need to see the other side to understand how non fans and most average people see him.

There are a lot of things that Bono doesn't acknowledge both positive and negative because if he spent all his time patting people on the back for getting active he'd have no time for anything else. Just because info is sent to management doesn't necessarily mean the band sees it. Because they are such nice guys the people who work for them are generally harder to get through. I personally think that an awful lot gets filtered that maybe the band would like to know about, but if they saw everything then maybe they wouldn't have any time left for family. I would hope that the motivation of those who created AFW was not recognition from Bono. As to matching funds, if he matched funds for everything someone did in his name he'd quite probably be broke.

As for the lines in Gloria, Bono has given his life in service to the poor. Yes, he still lives the high life, yes he still makes music, but the people who work closely with him all comment on the fact that he works the equivalent of a full time job or more on Africa issues in addition to his own personal pursuits and band activities. He has stated in interviews that he will do this for the rest of his life if necessary. You can't state that he does not give money unless you've seen his financial records as they do not publicize their charitable contributions. If you will remember however they did each publically contribute 1 million euros around the time of Live 8. And many of their concert receipts as well as profits from single releases have been donated to charity. Those things are rarely announced by them usually only being admitted to after someone else has leaked the info.

If you are determined to believe Bono is a hypocrit than nothing I say will change your mind, but their is plenty of information available to prove otherwise if you bother to research it. There was reportedly an expose series, not sure if it was TV or tabloid that digs into celebs finances to show what kind of crap they do with their money. After investigating U2 they didn't even do a feature on them simply announced that all they would say on the subject was that U2 has integrity. If they couldn't dig up dirt then maybe there really isn't any dirt to dig up.

Dana

biff said:

Sorry Michelle. I hate to quote myself, but I'll repeat what I said a few pages ago:

On the subject of giving, Bono has several times quoted Matthew 6:

"Be careful not to do your ‘acts of righteousness’ before men, to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven."

"So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you."

And in the Assayas book he said that if he were to give all of his money away, not only would it not be of much help but it would only gain him further criticism. He's pretty much damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

I know many Christians who sincerely believe this, including my
own father-in-law.
As to Bono's own giving, there have been many reports over the years of projects in Africa that he has supported out of his own pocket. He just doesn't brag about it. It's against his beliefs.

Exactly.

And believe me, as for the public giving of Bill Gates, Warren Buffet, and others, I have read plenty of opinions critical of them for giving away money, quibbles about who/ what they gave it to, etc., and so forth. You just can't win!:shrug:

Just can't win w/ U2kitten either, apparently (facts don't matter):(

blueeyedgirl said:

Anita Roddick, founder of the Body Shop, declared years ago she would give away her whole fortune and leave nothing to her children. I can't remember the whole quote but it was on the lines that she had made her way in the world and created her own destiny and she wanted her children to do likewise and not just inherit a living.

Sounds reasonable.

indeed. but i never said anything about inheritance by his children. i was suggesting he wouldnt give it all away and for us to expect him to live on next to nothing when he has 4 children dependent on him and ali while they were young. im sure Bono would want his children to learn the value of money and to earn it not be handed on a plate....i totally agree with that.

Chizip said:

he said "it's not going to affect anything for U2"

obviously it affected something for U2.

First most important point is that no matter what Bono's position is the decision to move the publishing portion of the business to Holland is not just his. There are 3 others in the band and they should not have to pay 42% tax just so Bono won't look bad in the papers. They did not take any money away from Ireland just avoided owing that in the future.

Secondly ALL of the rest of the business remains in Dublin as well as the other investments they have. They employ quite a few people and they provide work for an awful lot of satellite businesses.

Thirdly most of the people who spout off about it publically quickly prove by their comments that they have not done even the most cursory research into the subject as they are woefully misinformed.

I have yet to see negative press about them that has their facts straight and it is refreshing to me that the band does not bother to acknowledge it or try to defend against it. They know in their hearts what is true and that God will be their judge. I don't have a problem with people who don't believe in Bono but if they are going to spout off about him at least get the friggin facts right.

Dana

I am starting to feel that this whole thing is to pull people into a neverending argument. :huh:

If you can't back up what you are stating as" fact " then maybe you should make it clear in what your stating that it's your opinions/assumptions and not necessarily fact.

I do believe (my opinion from what I have read mind you) that the reason Bono and the rest of U2 don't publish/or make public what they give and how much is given to charities has a lot to do with their religious beliefs as others as posted. It just makes sense to me but again I could be wrong..

biff said:

:yes: exactly

as for kitten's point of view saying outsiders see bono as and egotistical blah blah whatever......if he bragged about his charitable donations...those people on these other rock forums you mentioned would be saying "oh look at that egomaniac bragging about his millions and how much he gives away...who cares?! he has so much money that he can afford to give it away blah blah blah"

i guess you cant please everyone all of the time. Bono is trying to do the right thing and being in his position it is very hard to do that for everyone. at the end of the day....he is doing a good thing to try and help change our world and he puts in a lot of hard work. he wouldnt "waste" so much time if he didnt believe it were a worthy cause. we all know Bono has a very passionate nature and he cares deeply about a lot of things. his heart is in the right place

I take U2kitten seriously. U2kitten may not have all her facts straight, but she's made some good points, I think. Even if I don't agree with all of them... I suspect the general public would understand and have much more sympathy for her views than most of us do.

kimby said:

You know why NO ONE takes you or your arguements seriously?

Because you don't even bother to use facts!

He performed "Gloria" during the Vertigo tour on several dates...so much for "guilt"!

Worse, when you are given the facts, you disregard them!
"I know the truth--don't confuse me with facts!" blah, blah, blah!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom