Like all other stars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Traveller

Acrobat
I just had an interesting conversation with a friend of mine. We all think that Bono is great, that he's a great guy, that he's kind, good, nice to his fans, has a big heart, is amazing really. So, the thing we discussed is this. We brought up the subject of someone like us becoming Bono's friend. She basically said that Bono might be a nice enough guy but Bono is a star and all stars are the same. He wouldn't go out of his way to be friends with someone who was on the level of a fan.

I thought that sounded prejudice against stars. But, then it also raised the question, is Bono just like "all other stars" and do you think he wouldn't go out of his way to be a friend with someone at a fan level?

I'm just really curious what you think because everyone thinks he's so good, and I wondered what you'd think about this.

Thanks

I don't know if I worded the question right.:huh: Oh well. I guess that, to me, just makes Bono LESS of a nice guy if it were true, and I was just wondering if you would think the same thing, and if you think it is true. :shrug:

Hhmmm I don't know... he IS a star ya know. But... he's really kind... but I really don't know if he's like teh other stars in the world. I think it would be kinda hard to be his friend though... when would you ever have time to see him? It might be a bit hard to go out of his way to see you once in a while, it probably wouldn't be like he wouldn't want to go out of his way... just a little hard.

But here's my question... is it just me or do a lot of people have that Bono avatar as their avatar?? :huh:

It's hard to answer that one, really. I would say that a good indication that Bono is "not like most stars" is that he has managed to remain close friends with many people who knew him from long before he became famous. He hasn't blown them off or alienated them with "star" behaviour. He has, by all accounts, remained very grounded. I don't believe that's true of many celebrities. I don't think that necessarily makes them bad people. It must be extremely difficult to attain that kind of wealth and fame and still keep your old friends, difficult for both sides.
With regard to making new friends who are not famous themselves, well, he seems exceptionally down-to-earth. He moves about freely without bodyguards or an entourage, and seems very open, even eager, to experience real contact with "real" people. Who knows?

I agree with Biff. And a few of my own thoughts, too. I think it's probably hard for Bono to become friends with someone who has spent so much time as a fan. Even if I where in the position to make friends with Bono (or anyone from U2, for that matter), I know that I'd have a hard time not thinking of him as "rock star Bono". And that, I imagine, would hinder any sort of normal friendship. But, if it's possible to get past that, based on his maintaining lifelong friendships, I don't see it as a complete impossibility, if the circumstances were right.

One thing to consider is that the guy has no time. I mean, think of how hard it is to see everyone you know on a regular basis. He has people he HAS to see, on top of family and close friends. I think as compassionate and open as he is to people that if he met someone he liked as a person he'd consider them a friend but that doesn't mean he would have time to hang out with them.

You confirmed what I see

I appreciate your answers folks. They were all very well-educated and well thought out. I knew I could count on U2 and Bono fans to have studied the guy a little, so you have some basis for your beliefs. I trust what you believe better than what my friend believes who hasn't spent much time watching Bono at all.

You have confirmed pretty much what I believe about Bono. I just don't agree with her assessment that he is like every other rock star. I'm glad to see others noticed what I do.

U2Traveller said:
She basically said that Bono might be a nice enough guy but Bono is a star and all stars are the same. He wouldn't go out of his way to be friends with someone who was on the level of a fan.
I don't know if he 'is the same as other stars', but if I were on his shoes I think I'd have to keep a certain distance. I also think he keeps meeting new people all the time, and it’s not like he we can be friend to everybody.
(I really think any other star would be too puffed up - and I find people like this truly unpleasant; or scared, just by reading what girls at PLEBA write about him).:lol:
Apart from that, I'm sure it all depends on who the person/fan is. He's just a man and he’s not immune to feelings.
I enjoy joking around, saying how much I love him, and all that stuff (which, in part, is true) but I've got my feet on the ground and I don't think that it would happen to me. [starting with the fact that I wouldn't know what to tell him, if I had the chance, because I'll always feel like he has already heard it - this is a problem I think I should get rid off – and I keep avoid any possible chance of being close to him].
I’m saying this because maybe there are fans who think they have that chance, and that might be scary.

Last edited:
Bono seems to be a very stand up kind of guy. I know, sort of an understatement, huh? :wink: Even with the high profile life he lives I believe that if Bono crossed paths with a fan who in some way he had made a connection with that he would allow a quasi friendship to grow. Not saying that he'd be calling every week or jetting you off with him to dinner in Paris. But I think he'd call when he was in town or email you with something of interest the two of you had discussed. :)

I've met some famous people purely by accident here in LA. Mostly just in passing. Though I do have a friendship with one. She is a very outspoken but kind hearted gal who tries her best to involve me in her busy life. I feel honored by that. Not because she's "famous" it's because she took a chance on a total stranger.....she let me inside her world....a world that the public doesn't see.

I think Bono would be just as open.:happy:

Well I suppose it would take alot of ingenuity and "something" to make one fan stand out enough to Bono to want to maintain some form of contact....You know just saying to him "I really admire your work and think you just rock!" isn't going to exactly win him over. :wink: You'd have to like save his child from an out of control trolley or something, even then it's doubtful it's iffy about the friendship aspect. :shrug: I don't know, I really don't. I mean he is just an ordinary man with an extraordinary career.... I think it is to his credit that he has stayed friends with childhood chums...says alot to me. I don't what kind of inferences I can gather though, we only know Bono as far as he has chosen to reveal himself to us...

Last edited:
starsgoblue said:
Well I suppose it would take alot of ingenuity and "something" to make one fan stand out enough to Bono to want to maintain some form of contact....
I wouldn’t say that it’s impossible. It probably has happened before and it would be harder to happen at this point.
I must say I wouldn’t be at this forum ‘worshipping’ someone that seamed to think he’s untouchable. I came to admire him exactly because he always seamed to act like any ordinary person, only he dared to go further and succeeded.
But then again I could be wrong, and I would be admiring someone who does not exist.

Yeah, Bono is a star, but a very grounded one. He's very gregarious and really enjoys meeting people. Everything I've read suggests that he's really easy to work with. Of course artists are perfectionists, I should know this, I'm a visual artist and I'm always trying to make my work "perfect". On the whole, though, he's one heck of a likeable star. Some of the other stars come off as such snots. Not Bono. So I don't think he's your "average" star. Just my purple tuppence's worth.

This raises even more questions. Would Bono be more apt to chat with a regular joe or one thats an obvious fan. I've heard of various occasions where Bono will strike up a conversation with a random someone he has just met. He's interested in everyone and everything and always has a lot of questions. He's naturally curious. But would he be the same with a fan?? Would he ask the fan questions or would the fan bombard him with their own set of questions and freak him out? I really don't know.

Becoming friends with someone is an entirely different idea. To become friends with Bono you would need to be around his world in some capacity. But I truly feel that if you were, he could very well be your friend.

LostAtMoon your admiration is not misplaced. He completely has mine. I don't think I could ever be disappointed in him.

I feel that Bono just likes people in general. He's fascinated by finding out what makes them tick and what gets their blood pumping....no wonder he is so into humantitarian work.

I don't think he's like "all the other stars"....he's proven that in many different ways.

starsgoblue said:
I feel that Bono just likes people in general. He's fascinated by finding out what makes them tick and what gets their blood pumping....no wonder he is so into humantitarian work.

I don't think he's like "all the other stars"....he's proven that in many different ways.

I agree. Most stars don't bust their asses trying to stop the AIDS crisis in Africa. That's a really hard sell. I don't know if he'd be more likely to talk to a fan or not. Somehow I really don't think so. He could always talk about the AIDS crisis if the person isn't a U2 fan. He knows not everyone is. He has enough fans to keep him happy, I think.

sweetie said:
LostAtMoon your admiration is not misplaced. He completely has mine. I don't think I could ever be disappointed in him.
I'm really glad you said that (I'm about to start questioning my intelligence all because of this).

sweetie said:
This raises even more questions. Would Bono be more apt to chat with a regular joe or one thats an obvious fan. I've heard of various occasions where Bono will strike up a conversation with a random someone he has just met. He's interested in everyone and everything and always has a lot of questions. He's naturally curious. But would he be the same with a fan?? Would he ask the fan questions or would the fan bombard him with their own set of questions and freak him out? I really don't know.
Bono will go out of his way to meet and chat up fans if he has the time, and it's true that if he had that chance he is curious about who and what you are about..but be warned..Bono looks you straight in the eye (so ive been told) and I think it would make me nervous...I'm down with that though..he is someone I would like to know personally

LostAtMoon said:

So they say! If that's true, that's something we've got in common.

Well he looks you in the eye cause he is intrested in what you have to say...I mean just having those gorgeous baby blues
staring into yours....:drool: I think I wouldn't be able to contain my self!!...I breifly met Bono last year...Thank God he had his
Wine tinted shades on otherwise I would have :combust:

He does!! He looks you straight in the eye when he addresses you. My friend and I "met"him in July in Boston. He was signing autographs and everyone was talking to him from every different direction. My friend's voice must've broke through the din because he heard her and looked right up at her, met her eyes and replied. I was speechless and it wasn't even directed to me!!

I can only imagine what you've felt like! That's why I keep saying that I don't want to meet him. I'm sure I would make a fool out of myself and give a wrong impression. You will remember that day forever, won't you?

Last edited:
LostAtMoon, don't worry.

If you ever get the chance to meet the B-man, he will do EVERYTHING he can to put you at ease.:yes:

Once you see him and/or meet him in person then it is easy to become convinced that there is something EXTRAORDINARY about this man.

Above and beyond his good looks and Rock n' Roll image, there is something intangible in his demeanor that let's an intuitive person know that they are standing next to Goodness and Greatness.:sexywink:

I have been there several times.

THE GOAL IS SOUL....:bono: :love:

sweetie said:
He does!! He looks you straight in the eye when he addresses you. My friend and I "met"him in July in Boston. He was signing autographs and everyone was talking to him from every different direction. My friend's voice must've broke through the din because he heard her and looked right up at her, met her eyes and replied. I was speechless and it wasn't even directed to me!!

:hmm: Maybe that's the real reason why he wears the shades....to protect us from spontaneously erupting from those piercing baby blues!

LostAtMoon said:
I can only imagine what you've felt like! That's why I keep saying that I don't want to meet him. I'm sure I would make a fool out of myself and give a wrong impression. You will remember that day forever, won't you?

I was a total idiot!!! I was standing there dumbfounded, just drinking in everything he was saying to everyone as his head was bowed, signing autographs. When he ever looked up and responded directly to my friend who was standing beside me I almost felt like I was in a vacuum and all I was experiencing was him and her. It was so simple and short but yes, I will never forget it. He was so completely sweet and kind and he flashed her his killer smile. She was on cloud nine for days after.

My husband (oops..forgot about him!) was on the other side of me snapping pictures. I have to get my hands on a scanner. He was so close...I can't believe I didn't touch him!!!! Just goes to show you that I'm all drool, no action.

Originally posted by sweetie
I was a total idiot!!! I was standing there dumbfounded, just drinking in everything he was saying to everyone as his head was bowed, signing autographs. When he ever looked up and responded directly to my friend who was standing beside me I almost felt like I was in a vacuum and all I was experiencing was him and her. It was so simple and short but yes, I will never forget it. He was so completely sweet and kind and he flashed her his killer smile. She was on cloud nine for days after.

I can understand her. It seems to me that she was more comfortable with the situation than yourself.
I can't believe I didn't touch him!!!! Just goes to show you that I'm all drool, no action.
That's how I imagine myself in the same situation, and I don't think I would touch him either, because it would never be enough. I usually think that a situation like this would cause me some kind of pain or trauma and yet this is so silly (it has to be enough, right?).
This is something that's been giving me some though because there's a tinny chance that I might find myself in the same situation (next year, a gig in town – not confirmed yet), and I don’t know if I’ll be avoiding it again (self protection?), as I’ve done before.
And I think that it's a privilege to keep such a memory. Could I possibly be more confused than this?

Last edited:
Originally posted by Jamila
If you ever get the chance to meet the B-man, he will do EVERYTHING he can to put you at ease.:yes:
That's what makes him so charismatic (sexy) and I like the thought of it. Wouldn’t it be heaven? :angel:

Once you see him and/or meet him in person then it is easy to become convinced that there is something EXTRAORDINARY about this man.
I already think that.:heart:
Above and beyond his good looks and Rock n' Roll image, there is something intangible in his demeanor that let's an intuitive person know that they are standing next to Goodness and Greatness.
:yes:

starsgoblue said:
:hmm: Maybe that's the real reason why he wears the shades....to protect us from spontaneously erupting from those piercing baby blues!
That's what I think too. But I wish he didn't wear them all the time. I also like to look people in the eyes (they can tell more than we would ever do). I keep thinking that Bono didn’t have to graduate psychology to become a PhD.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom