lessons in love pt 16

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

annj

War Child
It was turning out a day for shocks and revelations Antonia realised as she got out of Seamus's car still stunned at the sight of her father standing before her.

He inspected her up and down, "Hello Antonia,you are look well I am glad to see" he remarked.

No smiles, no hugs. no warmth that he was really glad to see her, just this impassive look on his face, that if he had a choice he would have better things to do than waste time on her.

She stood feeling like a small vunerable child once again
not sure what to say or do intimidated by his presence and hating herself for it.

But now Seamus was standing beside her and putting a supporting arm around her, she was grateful to him as it gave her some some of her strength and confidence back .

"W-what are you doing here?" she manage to ask

"I have come to see you of course, so we can talk and get this whole thing sorted out once and for all" he replied in his brisk businesslike tone"

"What exactly would this thing be we are sorting out once and for all?" Seamus queried, eyeing Alex suspiciously

"I think we should go inside and discuss that, don't you think?" Alex suggested, hating even having to awknowledge the Irish man

Feeling how rigid Antonia's body was with anxiety at the thought of what could lie ahead Seamus give her shoulder a supportive squeeze, to let her know she wasn't facing this alone, as they made their way into the house.

Seamus made Antonia sit down on the sofa and went to sit beside her, but her father had something to say about that

"If you don't mind I would prefer to talk to my daughter alone.. this is a private matter" he informed him stiffly.

"Well thats a matter of opinion" Seamus replied his eyes narrowing.

"Seamus stays" Antonia then spoke up firmly, a little surprised at herself, that she was standing up to her father, but she would not have him dismissing Seamus after all the man had done for her, he deserved more respect than that.. "Whatever you have to say to me, you can say in front of him.. it is his house after all, and you are a guest" her heart was pounding in her ears wondering how he would take this defiance.

In the end, much to her relief her father didn't think it was really worth causing a scene over and let it go, even though he was not happy about it. he just wanted to get this all over and done with.

"You have been here for almost five months now, and I have been keeping an eye on your progress, the doctors I spoke to think you have come on well and seem almost better I am glad to say" Alex informed her, "Which is why I am here.. I think its time, and best for all if you came home where you belong"

"Now just hang on one minute" Seamus objected "I think its up to Toni to decide when she is ready to want to come home not you"

"Well I see it differently" Alex replied coolly "Not that I am not grateful for all you have done to help her, despite my misgivings about letting her come here and stay with you.. she seems to have made a good recovery, but there are some things I don't think you realise that makes it imperative she return to London very soon again"

"Oh yes and what would that be?" Seamus demanded.

"This" Alex replied a little grimly as he pulled a folded up magazine from inside his coat pocket.

It was an Irish celebrity magazine, he turned to a certain page and handed it to Seamus.

There amongst the many photos was one of Bono and Antonia together smiling at each other.. it had been snapped apparently the day of the horse race, the photographer an Englishman had recognised her and the caption below the photo queried her relationship with a certain Irish rockstar.

Looking at it Antonia felt herself go cold with dismay inside, realising the insinuations probably going around that there was something going on between her and Bono.

Even though nothing had happened between them she was overwhelmed with guilt because in her heart it felt like she had somehow done something wrong, just because of her strong feelings for him.

Seamus on the other hand was indignant "You are not taking any heed of that gossip trash.. I was there with them that day.. there was nothing going on, I was the one who invited Bono, he was my guest not Toni's"

"I would have thought better of you to encouraging her in this foolishness" Alex replied icily "Surely you realise her being my daughter, it would attract this sort of attention.. and its the last thing I need or want to have someone come up and show me this picture in some cheap magazine...what if the English media got a hold of this story? They would have a field day"

"There is no story.. because there was nothing going on between them" Seamus stated vehmently frowning at Alex "It was just friends on a day out at the races nothing more nothing less and if any one tries to imply any different I will take them up to court myself"

"Well I prefer to handle matters differently.. the last thing I need is this sort of media attention" Alex informed him

"Oh yeah" Seamus sat back in realisation "Local election time coming up soon if I am right, I might have known you had only come here to cover your own ass" he finished scathingly

"I am here because I am concerned about my daughter" Alex insisted, "And doing what is best for all of us, and I believe that her returning to London with me and her husband is for the best"

"You are not letting her go back to that shite!?" Seamus immediatly objected, noticing how pale and drawn Antonia seemed beside him.

"He is her husband and he misses her" Alex stated his eyes narrowing wishing Seamus would stay out of this, he now turned his attention on Antonia, ignoring the look of disgust Seamus was sending him.

"I want you to listen to me carefully Antonia" her father said with some deliberation, "What happened between you and Gareth before.. I had words with him.. he has ..um seen his behaviour towards you was inappropriate, and he as agreed to try and make a go of it again with you, and attend a marriage guidance counselor with you to help sort out your problems.. he really wants you back"

Antonia now stared across at her father trying to take in what he was saying.

The keyword had been her father having a talk with Gareth. He had obviously had used his power and clout to manipulate Gareth in some way, that he had some hold over him to make him promise to behave.. that's how it usually worked and how her father got things done. He was letting her know he had taken care of Gareth, maybe not in the way she had hoped, but still it was something.

"You don't have to go anywhere Toni" Seamus informed her grabbing her hand and squeezing it, "You know you are welcome to stay with me as long as you like"

"I know Seamus" she smiled around at him "But its ok, my father has a point, I will have to go back sometime, and perhaps it is better I do it now"

Alex let out an audible sigh of relief "Well I am glad you are realising the sense in what I am saying Antonia"

Antonia lowered her head unable to meet his eyes, little did her father know it wasn't so much his persausive powers that were making her want to leave, the thought if staying on in Ireland now after what had happened between her and Bono.. and now realising that the media had got hold of it and where trying to put two and two together, she felt she had to get away to protect him as much as herself. Going Back to London seemed her only choice.

"Are you sure this is what you want to do?" Seamus demanded not convinced yet that this was the right move for her.

"Yes I think it is" she replied "Thank you for all you have done for me Seamus.. I can never repay you" she hugged him then
feeling the tears well up in her eyes, the hardest part of this all would be leaving him behind.

Antonia did not get much sleep that night, she tossed and turned her mind going over all the events of the day, espicially about Bono, recalling his words, the feel of his arms holding her, wishing he was with her now, but knowing it was impossible.

Her father turning up had brought her back to the cold realisation of the reality of that. Now she could not wait to leave Ireland, staying now was too painful, knowing that Bono was so close and she could not possibly see him again now under the circumstances.

Her father had arranged for them to catch an afternoon flight back to London the following day, she had spent the rest of the evening packing her belongings feeling strangely numb as she accepted this was how it had to be.

The following day she manage to keep a brave front as she said her goodbye to Seamus, and promised him she would keep in touch with him as much as she could.

As she went to get into her father's car, she paused and glanced up the road towards the direction of Bono's house wondering was he thinking about her, he would be getting ready for going back to Dublin.

But there would be no chance of saying goodbye to him and maybe it was better that way. trying to put all that had happened between them out of her mind she got into her fathers car, it was no good torturing herself with what might have been if things had been different.

Seamus stood watching them driving away, and only when the car disappeared into the distance up the road did he turn and go back into his house.

don't worry this is not the end I am only half way through.. more to come:wink:

Back
Top Bottom