Leather Day: In Action!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
greety said:
Yes Kitten

That was in july 1982 (shortly before his wedding although i didn't know that back then).

I was there:wink: and recently i read the story on a dutch site(I think).
This dutch girl made this sheet at home and she brought a pole with her to Werchter but she wasn't allowed to take that on the meadow with her.
So she entered with the sheet alone.
But she wanted the guys to see it so she and her friends ripped off a treebranch and fixed the sheet to it.
They waved it and of course he saw it and took it on the stage.
So I'd like to think that the flag waving started in Belgium:sexywink: but of course i'm not really sure about that!

Thanks! So cool to know the story behind it!! :happy:

You and Salome have posted some interesting stories about how popular U2 was in Belgium and Holland in the October era, I never knew that. Some people say you guys saved U2, because they might have been dropped by their label after October if Holland and Belgium had not come through. What a loss that would have been, all their greatest days ahead of them!

greety said:
This dutch girl made this sheet at home and she brought a pole with her to Werchter but she wasn't allowed to take that on the meadow with her.
So she entered with the sheet alone.
But she wanted the guys to see it so she and her friends ripped off a treebranch and fixed the sheet to it.
They waved it and of course he saw it and took it on the stage.
So I'd like to think that the flag waving started in Belgium:sexywink: but of course i'm not really sure about that!

Thanks, that's a cool story :bow: I can totally see that it's a branch now, I'd never noticed that before :)

guitar.jpg

kellyahern said:
found another one :)

iwfl.jpg

Thank you Kelly,
I didn't have that one yet (haven't checked out all your albums yet:reject: ).
There's so much to do here!:wink:

Kiiten, yes you might be right about Belgium and the Netherlands.
I also heard that the band first became popular on the continent (outside the UK) in Holland and Belgium.

Quite a mass of ppl watched them on Werchter the first time (1982) but I must also admit that back then nobody in my class (girlschool) knew U2 (what a shame!)

That reminds me of the day in english class when we were talking about musical favours with our teacher (she was only 25 or so, we were 16-17). Most girls were into disco (Kool& the gang etc),
So she looked at me and said : and what's your favourite singer or group and I was like:reject: Oh no, not me.. So i wanted to say I :heart: U2 but I changed my mind and just said 'I like U2' and she had this weirdest look on her face :lmao:
I could actually see her think ' What is she on about?' Can you imagine if I had actualy said that I love U2 (youtoo to her):huh:
The girl in front of me turned around and said 'you're not so bad yourself'.

It's a long story just to say that they were not so well known(only the incrowd, haha). luckily I discovered them through my brother! And it was a looong time ago (feel old now:sad: )

Last edited:
Thanks for the photo/history details, greety! I know from what I've read that U2 love their Belgian & Netherlands fans (and what amazing shows they do there!) and that the people there love U2 just as fiercely. Pretty cool relationship! :up:

If you're interested,I found the link with that flag story. It was the flemish site. Here is the link

http://www.naulaerts.net/u2vl/werchter1/

The home page starts in english and there's some dutch too. But if scroll down, on the right side click on ' concerts in belgium', then go to july 4th 1982 and click. There are some more pics (bad colours though) and a bit of a resume of the concert. Enjoy;)

*edited: with this link you are already on the Werchter page.

Last edited:
that's awesome! :love: I love reading about their early days and the shows they would put on.. I don't think Bono's ever lost that need to reach every single person in the audience. Thanks greety :hug:

Back
Top Bottom