Larry's drumming.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aski

Acrobat
during the Barcelona 7. August 2005 show, during Elevation, Larry forgets to hit the drums at the right spot. Adam, Edge and Bono turns around and smiles at him.

also, during the officially released Chicago DVD, right at the beginning of City Of Blinding Lights, Larry counts in on the cymbals too early, and has to hit them twice!

sometimes i get a bit ashamed of how simple his playing actually is, even if i've been a fan of him since i was 15 years old, and he was the reason i started playing drums myself.

also, just check out '40' from the Chicago-DVD. the way he plays that last coda by himself.... it's so easy and boring. he played that last "drum solo" much more powerfully on the Joshua Tree/Lovetown tour

:hmm: Yeah, he's drumming is simple but it fits the songs, as clarityat3am says :). And he's got some driving drumbeats as well: "In A Little While" :drool: :drool:

There are some very good drummers that I personally don't like much. Eg: in a John Fogerty DVD there's this very powerful drummer, his obviously very good, but just hits the things so hard!! :lol: Maybe it's good for the music he plays, but it stands out sooo much :huh: I like Larry's drumming for U2 songs :shrug:

i dunno understand anything about technicalities of music.. but i there is some pretty sweet drumming in several songs :D
anyways, as far as i understand are non of the U2 members (ok... maaaybe edge but he ain't no Eric Clapton or Hendrix) really acknowldged for their groundbreaking musical skills.. rather how they play together and do it their own distinktiv style :)

I agree a-mole... I hate when people complain that Bono's voice was not strong or that he had a frog in his throat... you don't see U2 live because of the quality of Bono' singing!? You go for the experience, the vibe, the feeling the music gives you.

If you're looking to judge superior music ability & vocals, stick to the symphony and opera... that said, good luck finding a better guitar player than The Edge or a drummer sexier than Larry

Yes, I think with most U2 fans, it's much more about the feeling of the music than the skill involved in playing it. They've always said they're not the best musicians, and that they often struggle with the basics; but the emotions they can provoke are (for me) far stronger than the playing of the most technically proficient musicians in the world.

U2 aren't professional musicians. They haven't had any classical sort of training, BUT they are a BAND. They're music flows together perfectly, it's more the feeling than anything else.

Larry's drumming in particular...I'm a drummer myself, I know that most of his beats aren't too complicated, but it is different than a lot of mainstream rock. He utilizes his toms more (think: Streets) than most. Sometimes little fills here and there are better than long solos anyway. I like what he does just fine, but I wouldn't mind seeing him let loose sometime. Mofo is a hard song to pull off, so I know he's capable of more than we've seen, especially after 25 years.

larrys drumming :drool:
his mistakes and all, everything still flows in the music

i mean he is human.. everyone makes mistakes.
imagine putting yourself in his position, playing in front of thousands.... a simple drumbeat can become a very difficult one. :|

I will say this....Sometimes less is more.

And I'll say this. If you don't play the drums, try to play sunday bloody sunday. Then try again. And again. It will be difficult.

I am a drummer. The reason I like him is b/c he is consistant. He can set a beat, and not speed up the tempo...tho once he did, and Edge got pissed b/c his riff at the end was very difficult when fast. It was sweet. But appreciate his drumming b/c he doesn't try to steal the show. He could if he wanted to. But the music just doesn't call for it.

I will say this....Sometimes less is more.

And I'll say this. If you don't play the drums, try to play sunday bloody sunday. Then try again. And again. It will be difficult.

I am a drummer. The reason I like him is b/c he is consistant. He can set a beat, and not speed up the tempo...tho once he did, and Edge got pissed b/c his riff at the end was very difficult when fast. It was sweet. But appreciate his drumming b/c he doesn't try to steal the show. He could if he wanted to. But the music just doesn't call for it.

Sure he might not be the greatest, fastest, or hardest drummer out there...but if there's one thing he has is style. A style which contributes as much to the music as the other 3 members..and let's not forget that without Larry there would be no U2

These songs below I feel show Larry's restrained yet powerful drumming ...the man has style and skill

Bad
Exit
A Sort of Homecoming
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Until The End of The World
Please
Mofo
Where The Streets Have No Name
Walk On
Acrobat
God Part II
Scarlet
Gone
Wake Up Dead Man
Mysterious Ways
Love and Peace or Else
In A Little While

i agree with all of you, still i agree with Melanya, Larry is capable of more than this after 25 years in the business??

i mean, listen to the live version of The Electric Co. from Under A Blood Red Sky, and compare it with any live version from the Vertigo tour.

he played much more energetic and with a lot more consentration in his early days. listen to the songs on Boy, lot's of cool fills and rythms (An Cat Dubh, The Electric Co., Out Of Control). and he invented great, classic drum parts like Sunday Bloody Sunday, Pride (great snare fill!), Homecoming, Bullet, Streets.

ok, so he still plays those songs, but he doesn't play like that in the studio on their latest albums. in fact, he's playing has just become more simple and straight-forward, especially live.

still, without Larry, no band!

and also, maybe i wouldn't have been a drummer myself in a band today if it wasnt' for Larry.

so my conclusion is, we all love ya pal, no matter what! ;)

I totally understand where you're coming from, it would be nice for us fans to see Larry do somewhat of a mini drum solo in concert :hmm:

Aski, who are your favorite drummers??

mine are max weinberg & stewart copeland

I'm not a musician, so i dont know...
but sometimes i hear gentleness and attention to details in his
drumming..

I agree with a lot of whats been said, for me style and personality is more important than professionalism.

Meghan said:
Yes, I think with most U2 fans, it's much more about the feeling of the music than the skill involved in playing it. They've always said they're not the best musicians, and that they often struggle with the basics; but the emotions they can provoke are (for me) far stronger than the playing of the most technically proficient musicians in the world.
yeah, i agree. you know, the Edge uses practically the same chords over and over, but the way he puts them togehter is so powerful and meaningful and it doesn't sound cliche at all. <3

i agree with all of you, still i agree with Melanya, Larry is capable of more than this after 25 years in the business??

Also, be sure to remember that Larry has carpal tunnel now doesn't he? Probably from not being more careful in his earlier years. It's an easy thing to do, I heard that he has a special technique and set-up to help him with this (anybody got more info.?). I doubt he can still play at the pace he did on say...The Refugee. I bet he could still do a mean solo once in a while though. I'm sure he's capable of it and it's more a matter of choice. You can't be in the biz that long without picking up at least that much!

^Yes, I am suprised no one has mentioned this! He is not 20 years old at this point (nor am I :huh: ). He has endured excruciating (and nearly career-ending, it's been told) tendonitis for years now... and goes through great pains (literally) and routines to keep it under control, so he can continue to play 3 or 4 nights a week, for going on a year and a half now!!

I'm sure he would love to hit them as hard as he did twenty years ago, but he has also added a lot in finesse in what he doesn't deliver in force... and he certainly puts more effort in keeping the faith night after night for each and every audience than you give him credit for!!

^ yeah i admire him so much. when i first started, playing a few songs on my guitar would give me callouses on my fingers. i then appreciated how the edge could rock out for hours on end. now i really appreciate how Larry could hit those drums for hours on end. his hands would obviously get tired, not to mention they might hurt becusae of his tendonitis or whatever you call it, so he's my hero for sticking it through for so long and still being the coolest drummer around >.<

I always wonder how much Larry sees of the show adn the audience, since it always seems like he's looking at his drums or concentrating on them constantly. Edge and Adam can play their instruments and look at the crowd at the same time, you know?

Melanya said:
U2 aren't professional musicians. They haven't had any classical sort of training, BUT they are a BAND.

True, but Edge and his brother had guitar lessons early on and Larry was tought to play the drums in the Artane boys club band.

Also, both Adam and Larry took lessons after Zooropa.

my point is this:

Larry played very simple yet with a lot of signature and power in the 80s (Gloria, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Bad, Streets, Follow etc etc)

but as he grew older (and maybe wore out his arms??) he tended to end up with lot easier drum patterns on U2's 90s/00s records.

this is a bit sad, as most musicians who grow older, tend to become more skilled and develop their style even more, with even more signature and power.

i feel this lacks with Larry's playing nowadays. maybe it has something to do with his injuries in his arms. i dont' know.

but i remember a quote by Sting right after Larry and Adam put out the Mission:Impossible single in '96. he said something to the effect that even his 8 year old child could play that arrangement.

and i have to agree, he's got a point.

elevation2u said:
Sure he might not be the greatest, fastest, or hardest drummer out there...but if there's one thing he has is style. A style which contributes as much to the music as the other 3 members..and let's not forget that without Larry there would be no U2

These songs below I feel show Larry's restrained yet powerful drumming ...the man has style and skill

Bad
Exit
A Sort of Homecoming
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Until The End of The World
Please
Mofo
Where The Streets Have No Name
Walk On
Acrobat
God Part II
Scarlet
Gone
Wake Up Dead Man
Mysterious Ways
Love and Peace or Else
In A Little While

You forgot to add Like A Song.

U2girl said:

True, but Edge and his brother had guitar lessons early on and Larry was tought to play the drums in the Artane boys club band.

Please tell me you know that's not the same as having training for years and years! Classically trained musicians are versed in technique, every genre of music, sight reading, they're able to play endlessly complicated rythyms just after glancing at a sheet of music. There's a big difference between that and a few lessons as a kid, or a few lessons in between albums. My guess is that after Zooropa both Larry and Adam had to learn more technical beats anyway. Larry's drumming on Mofo is pretty impressive, usually overdubs might be used for that type of song.

One thing I have noticed in videos, and live with Larry's playing is that although he's concentrating the entire time, you can also tell he's confident. When you're tense about it, you end up hitting things with much less finesse and things sound forced. It's very noticeable, if you want an example, check out Beautiful Day.

U2girl said:

And I read (somewhere here in PLEBA, probably!! :lol: ) that Larry was only in the Artane Boys Band for 3 days-- he quit, rather than cut his hair short!! :yes: :sexywink:

Interesting side bar: check out the EYKIW thread , also titled "Larry's drumming".... another very newbie (not the one that started it), also starts with an "A", has some barbs leveled at Larry as well... doesn't it sound rather familiar?

:wink:

aski said:
even if i've been a fan of him since i was 15 years old, and he was the reason i started playing drums myself.

I think by inspiring you to play he's done more than anyone else.
what more could he do?

Melanya said:

Please tell me you know that's not the same as having training for years and years! Classically trained musicians are versed in technique, every genre of music, sight reading, they're able to play endlessly complicated rythyms just after glancing at a sheet of music. There's a big difference between that and a few lessons as a kid, or a few lessons in between albums.

Of course there's a difference between having lessons and being classically trained, I'm just saying it's not like they never had any musical training of any kind.

Back
Top Bottom