Larry in the news (gasp)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

biff

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
From The Sunday Independent:

U2's Larry rocks on to new Summit

I'M WITH Boy George: if Bono wants to find what he's looking for he only has to look behind the drums . . .

The incomparable Larry Mullen was behind the drums in his local in Howth last Thursday night. The occasion was Stephen Galligan's going away beano at Dublin's hippest boozer The Summit. The proceeds for Gally's send off to Australia were for the Hospice which cared for Gally's mum in the period before her recent sad death).

The entertainment was provided by El Diablo, a cover band with a strong U2 repertoire. Half-way through the night, the deeply unassuming Mullen was approached in the bar about getting up. To put it in context, this is a bit like asking JD Salinger to appear in Hello! magazine. Larry said he was too shy and too nervous to perform so locally. An hour later he was approached again, and this time, relented. El Diablos' drummer was diplomatically asked to vacate his stool for a mystery special guest and Larry took the seat and played on two U2 songs. According to witnesses on the night: "The place went slowly bananas, including the band themselves, as they realised what was happening. Larry is too modest in Howth and Sutton to raise any kind of profile, but he knew Gally and knew it was a purely local crowd from one of the neighbourhoods in which they first tasted success and he cast a spell."

Much later, the implacably grounded (and groomed) megastar also pulled a few pints behind the bar in The Summit for regulars and his lovely wife Anne Acheson. So if things don't work out for those U2 lads Larry will have at least two gigs to fall back on in Howth.

On Saturday evening, Anne and Larry and their son and daughter attended an end-of-soccer-season dinner in Casa Pasta in Howth. Their son Elvis is in the Howth Celtic under-10s, managed by the redoubtable Shane O'Doherty. (Larry is known to be very protective of his kids. It has worked well, as they have grown up normally in the community.) And then, presumably, Elvis left the building.

I'M WITH Boy George: if Bono wants to find what he's looking for he only has to look behind the drums . . .

:lol: that still cracks me up!

thanks for the article bif! good to hear something about larry, haven't heard of him in along while!

im glad there is no pics, his private life should remain private.

Well, they /are/, for all intents and purposes. A 30 year long relationship is a marriage, whether they signed any licenses or not.

They've been together since the late 70s and she's also the mother of his kids. As far as everyone else is concerned they are married. :) They just don't have a piece of paper formalizing their union.

:hmm: So that means that technically, technically, the man is single? :flirt:

bonofox said:
groomed? hehe hope that means he cut his hair short like B's:wink:

I sure hope not! That would make U2 a completely hairless* rock band, and that's just wrong.

*stubble doesn't count as hair.

Galeongirl said:

somehow in the media Ann always is his wife..
:rolleyes:

I once saw Ali identified in a pic caption as 'Bono with unidentified companion'. :rolleyes: That's pretty sad after 20+ years of marriage.

Babydoll said:
They've been together since the late 70s and she's also the mother of his kids. As far as everyone else is concerned they are married. :) They just don't have a piece of paper formalizing their union.

:hmm: So that means that technically, technically, the man is single? :flirt:

:lol: I was just really worried that I was so out of it that I never heard they got married recently

I've always thought of them as married without documents

Larry & family at Casa Pasta at a soccer party... love it!

Back
Top Bottom