Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > PLEBA > PLEBA Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-07-2006, 01:40 PM   #46
arw
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:35 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Laurel Hill
Even if people don't marry, after living together for seven years, especially if they have kids, they are considered 'common law' spouses in the US and Europe. Anita Pallenburg used this to get alimony from Keith Richards, though they were never married, they were together for many years and had children together. So I guess the rule is, paper or not, if you keep her for seven years, she's yours.

"if you keep her for seven years, she's yours"

I didn't know it was the middle ages....

Anyways, the 7 year rule does not exist. Not all states in the US recognize common law marriages. In fact, only a small portion of states do.

Old 06-07-2006, 02:10 PM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Fanatic4ever
cuz he has managed to keep his private life so private.. I didn't know he had a daughter too. I knew about his son, elvis tho.
Not only do they have a daughter, Ava, but also a second son whose name has never been revealed (although I have seen him) even though he's already five years old! <g>

Old 06-07-2006, 02:29 PM   #48
War Child

Local Time: 04:35 PM
Wait, Larry hates marriage? Hee. Interestin'.
Old 06-07-2006, 04:18 PM   #49
New Yorker

Local Time: 12:35 PM
Thanks for posting that Biff. I love reading Larry stories cause he's so elusive. I can just picture that scene in the bar. I'm glad he got up and did it and I'm sure it wasn't TOO painful. Probably would have been even less painful had they asked him an hour later...lol.
Old 06-07-2006, 06:04 PM   #50
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: 8 years and I still can't think of anything witty to put here
Quote:
Originally posted by Bonochick
Larry has spoken negatively about marriage...but, then again, I refer to marriage as assisted suicide, yet I will most likely get married someday.
Was that from the Zootv book? Something along the lines of marriage being a partnership and if people go into it thinking something different they are kidding themselves (which I don't think is so bad actually, but I might be remembering it wrong). I don't remember the exact quote .
Old 06-08-2006, 07:22 AM   #51
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 05:35 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Merc

Haha, I was just about to post the exact same comment Greet!

Maybe we've been spending too much time "together" (pm's/mails) lately and have started to think alike...

Old 06-08-2006, 07:55 AM   #52
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by arw9797

"if you keep her for seven years, she's yours"

I didn't know it was the middle ages....

Anyways, the 7 year rule does not exist. Not all states in the US recognize common law marriages. In fact, only a small portion of states do.
I didn't mean 'she's yours' as in the Bible days when a guy could work seven years to earn his wife and work another seven to earn her better looking sister. I meant it as a good thing for women, that after seven years she has the same right as a real wife, and if he tried to 'get rid of her' she'd be able to 'divorce' him. Remember the Lee Marvin 'palimony' suit? So while a guy may look at it as 'stuck with her' the 'she's yours' actually benefits the woman. Sorry to sound offensive, didn't mean to. And I'm sorry the old law isn't still in effect in many places. Squatters' rights for land still are suprisingly on the books in many places. "Squat" for 7 years and if no one runs you off you can claim it.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:06 AM   #53
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by kellyahern

Was that from the Zootv book? Something along the lines of marriage being a partnership and if people go into it thinking something different they are kidding themselves (which I don't think is so bad actually, but I might be remembering it wrong). I don't remember the exact quote .
"I'm a cynic about all that lovey-dovey stuff. A marriage is a partnership and you better look at it that way or you're in trouble!
All that lovey-dovey business gets in the way. How's she gonna feel about him in a couple of years when he's pickin' his nose? Or when he's pickin' her nose?"

I guess some might not think that's a negative view of marriage...but I do! I guess if you find someone with the same feeling though...it's an absolutely fine view.

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 06-08-2006, 12:06 PM   #54
Galeonbroad

Local Time: 05:35 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Bonochick

"I'm a cynic about all that lovey-dovey stuff. A marriage is a partnership and you better look at it that way or you're in trouble!
All that lovey-dovey business gets in the way. How's she gonna feel about him in a couple of years when he's pickin' his nose? Or when he's pickin' her nose?"

I guess some might not think that's a negative view of marriage...but I do! I guess if you find someone with the same feeling though...it's an absolutely fine view.

that sounds not that negative to me... but then again, it was larry who said it, and it depends on the way he said it probably..
Old 06-08-2006, 12:24 PM   #55
War Child

He has a point, though. I mean, things dont' stay cutesy for long. What's going to happen when he's fat andbald? (Although Larry will probably NEVER be fat. I'd be shocked.)
Old 06-08-2006, 12:42 PM   #56
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 08:35 AM
... bald Larry...
Old 06-08-2006, 01:08 PM   #57
War Child

Heh. At this point, I'll take it. Anything to get rid of that greaseball effect.

Y'know, it may actually fit him, in a creepy sort of way. :P
Old 06-08-2006, 01:13 PM   #58
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 08:35 AM
He'd look fine I think, not that I want him to, but if he did.... he'd look excellent. I'd like to see him in the crew cut again.
Old 06-08-2006, 01:27 PM   #59
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Larry might look good bald but only if he had some facial hair like a goatee going at the same time. On the other hand, Bono totally bald...
Old 06-09-2006, 10:23 AM   #60
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by Laurel Hill

I didn't mean 'she's yours' as in the Bible days when a guy could work seven years to earn his wife and work another seven to earn her better looking sister. I meant it as a good thing for women, that after seven years she has the same right as a real wife, and if he tried to 'get rid of her' she'd be able to 'divorce' him. Remember the Lee Marvin 'palimony' suit? So while a guy may look at it as 'stuck with her' the 'she's yours' actually benefits the woman. Sorry to sound offensive, didn't mean to. And I'm sorry the old law isn't still in effect in many places. Squatters' rights for land still are suprisingly on the books in many places. "Squat" for 7 years and if no one runs you off you can claim it.

Interesting piece of law...
Tought it doesn't exist everywhere in Europe... i'm a marital lawyer and i'm positive : this rule doesn't exists in my country : no marriage, no inheritance in case of death and no money in case of separation (except for the kids of course !)