Larry in the news (gasp) - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > PLEBA > PLEBA Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-07-2006, 01:40 PM   #46
arw
Blue Crack Addict
 
arw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: walking around 10,000 lakes
Posts: 27,320
Local Time: 11:35 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Laurel Hill
Even if people don't marry, after living together for seven years, especially if they have kids, they are considered 'common law' spouses in the US and Europe. Anita Pallenburg used this to get alimony from Keith Richards, though they were never married, they were together for many years and had children together. So I guess the rule is, paper or not, if you keep her for seven years, she's yours.

"if you keep her for seven years, she's yours"

I didn't know it was the middle ages....

Anyways, the 7 year rule does not exist. Not all states in the US recognize common law marriages. In fact, only a small portion of states do.
__________________

__________________
arw is offline  
Old 06-07-2006, 02:10 PM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Pop Artist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 5,216
Local Time: 11:35 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Fanatic4ever
cuz he has managed to keep his private life so private.. I didn't know he had a daughter too. I knew about his son, elvis tho.
Not only do they have a daughter, Ava, but also a second son whose name has never been revealed (although I have seen him) even though he's already five years old! <g>
__________________

Pop Artist is offline  
Old 06-07-2006, 02:29 PM   #48
War Child
 
Devlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 922
Local Time: 04:35 PM
Wait, Larry hates marriage? Hee. Interestin'.
Devlin is offline  
Old 06-07-2006, 04:18 PM   #49
New Yorker
 
U2FloridaFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: South Florida
Posts: 2,858
Local Time: 12:35 PM
Thanks for posting that Biff. I love reading Larry stories cause he's so elusive. I can just picture that scene in the bar. I'm glad he got up and did it and I'm sure it wasn't TOO painful. Probably would have been even less painful had they asked him an hour later...lol.
__________________
"Baby, it's a Red Flag Day"
U2FloridaFan is offline  
Old 06-07-2006, 06:04 PM   #50
Blue Crack Supplier
 
kellyahern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: 8 years and I still can't think of anything witty to put here
Posts: 34,698
Local Time: 12:35 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Bonochick
Larry has spoken negatively about marriage...but, then again, I refer to marriage as assisted suicide, yet I will most likely get married someday.
Was that from the Zootv book? Something along the lines of marriage being a partnership and if people go into it thinking something different they are kidding themselves (which I don't think is so bad actually, but I might be remembering it wrong). I don't remember the exact quote .
kellyahern is offline  
Old 06-08-2006, 07:22 AM   #51
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
greety's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: smack in the middle of contradiction
Posts: 4,586
Local Time: 05:35 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Merc


Haha, I was just about to post the exact same comment Greet!

Maybe we've been spending too much time "together" (pm's/mails) lately and have started to think alike...

greety is offline  
Old 06-08-2006, 07:55 AM   #52
The Fly
 
Laurel Hill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 150
Local Time: 04:35 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by arw9797



"if you keep her for seven years, she's yours"

I didn't know it was the middle ages....

Anyways, the 7 year rule does not exist. Not all states in the US recognize common law marriages. In fact, only a small portion of states do.
I didn't mean 'she's yours' as in the Bible days when a guy could work seven years to earn his wife and work another seven to earn her better looking sister. I meant it as a good thing for women, that after seven years she has the same right as a real wife, and if he tried to 'get rid of her' she'd be able to 'divorce' him. Remember the Lee Marvin 'palimony' suit? So while a guy may look at it as 'stuck with her' the 'she's yours' actually benefits the woman. Sorry to sound offensive, didn't mean to. And I'm sorry the old law isn't still in effect in many places. Squatters' rights for land still are suprisingly on the books in many places. "Squat" for 7 years and if no one runs you off you can claim it.
Laurel Hill is offline  
Old 06-08-2006, 10:06 AM   #53
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator
 
Bonochick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Cherry Lane
Posts: 40,819
Local Time: 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kellyahern


Was that from the Zootv book? Something along the lines of marriage being a partnership and if people go into it thinking something different they are kidding themselves (which I don't think is so bad actually, but I might be remembering it wrong). I don't remember the exact quote .
"I'm a cynic about all that lovey-dovey stuff. A marriage is a partnership and you better look at it that way or you're in trouble!
All that lovey-dovey business gets in the way. How's she gonna feel about him in a couple of years when he's pickin' his nose? Or when he's pickin' her nose?"

I guess some might not think that's a negative view of marriage...but I do! I guess if you find someone with the same feeling though...it's an absolutely fine view.
__________________
"Knight in shining Zubaz."

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Bonochick is offline  
Old 06-08-2006, 12:06 PM   #54
Galeonbroad
 
Galeongirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Schoo Fishtank
Posts: 70,778
Local Time: 05:35 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Bonochick


"I'm a cynic about all that lovey-dovey stuff. A marriage is a partnership and you better look at it that way or you're in trouble!
All that lovey-dovey business gets in the way. How's she gonna feel about him in a couple of years when he's pickin' his nose? Or when he's pickin' her nose?"

I guess some might not think that's a negative view of marriage...but I do! I guess if you find someone with the same feeling though...it's an absolutely fine view.

that sounds not that negative to me... but then again, it was larry who said it, and it depends on the way he said it probably..
Galeongirl is offline  
Old 06-08-2006, 12:24 PM   #55
War Child
 
Devlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 922
Local Time: 04:35 PM
He has a point, though. I mean, things dont' stay cutesy for long. What's going to happen when he's fat andbald? (Although Larry will probably NEVER be fat. I'd be shocked.)
Devlin is offline  
Old 06-08-2006, 12:42 PM   #56
Blue Crack Distributor
 
bonocomet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: California :)
Posts: 67,032
Local Time: 08:35 AM
... bald Larry...
bonocomet is offline  
Old 06-08-2006, 01:08 PM   #57
War Child
 
Devlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 922
Local Time: 04:35 PM
Heh. At this point, I'll take it. Anything to get rid of that greaseball effect.

Y'know, it may actually fit him, in a creepy sort of way. :P
Devlin is offline  
Old 06-08-2006, 01:13 PM   #58
Blue Crack Distributor
 
bonocomet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: California :)
Posts: 67,032
Local Time: 08:35 AM
He'd look fine I think, not that I want him to, but if he did.... he'd look excellent. I'd like to see him in the crew cut again.
bonocomet is offline  
Old 06-08-2006, 01:27 PM   #59
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Pop Artist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 5,216
Local Time: 11:35 AM
Larry might look good bald but only if he had some facial hair like a goatee going at the same time. On the other hand, Bono totally bald...
Pop Artist is offline  
Old 06-09-2006, 10:23 AM   #60
The Fly
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Earth
Posts: 49
Local Time: 04:35 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Laurel Hill


I didn't mean 'she's yours' as in the Bible days when a guy could work seven years to earn his wife and work another seven to earn her better looking sister. I meant it as a good thing for women, that after seven years she has the same right as a real wife, and if he tried to 'get rid of her' she'd be able to 'divorce' him. Remember the Lee Marvin 'palimony' suit? So while a guy may look at it as 'stuck with her' the 'she's yours' actually benefits the woman. Sorry to sound offensive, didn't mean to. And I'm sorry the old law isn't still in effect in many places. Squatters' rights for land still are suprisingly on the books in many places. "Squat" for 7 years and if no one runs you off you can claim it.

Interesting piece of law...
Tought it doesn't exist everywhere in Europe... i'm a marital lawyer and i'm positive : this rule doesn't exists in my country : no marriage, no inheritance in case of death and no money in case of separation (except for the kids of course !)
__________________

mumu2006 is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com