Lanois and a little news about U2's new album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thankyou

Refugee
Q&A: Film, U2 album keep Daniel Lanois on the go By Jonathan Cohen
Fri Mar 7, 6:51 PM ET

NEW YORK (Billboard) - In between jet-setting around the globe with Brian Eno to write and record with U2, Daniel Lanois is still finding time to work on his own music

A documentary about his recent experiences in the studio, "Here Is What Is," will have its U.S. premiere March 9 at the South by Southwest Film Festival, and Lanois will play a host of shows in the following days during the music portion of the Austin, Texas, conference. The artist also has launched his own digital download store at RedFloorRecords.com, offering a deluxe CD/DVD of "Here Is What Is," his solo albums and a wealth of unreleased material. Lanois spoke to Billboard about his myriad projects. Just before leaving for Dublin to finish U2's new album,
Lanois spoke to Billboard about his myriad projects.

Q: Your "Omni Series" will offer six albums' worth of unreleased music online. What inspired the idea?

Daniel Lanois: "Well, we can be fast and furious. I can record something at midnight and have it available at breakfast, and the money is in PayPal by 5. 'Omni' will accommodate my spontaneous offerings. We're going to put out a steel guitar record in May or June. Then, there's 'Midnight,' which is spooky, late-night stuff; a little more psychedelic and whacked-out. Another one I really love -- about a year ago, I did the music for a Pixies documentary. That little body of work has a nice feeling to it. So I called up all the members of the Pixies and asked if they minded if I could put it out, and they said sure. Finally I have my corner store. I've been dreaming about it since I was a little kid."

Q: You're selling the music as high-quality WAV files. Is there an added cost to you to do this?

Lanois: "No, we offer full fidelity for the same price. We're proud of that. We dedicate ourselves to quality. Part of the deterrent is the receiving end -- you need a high-grade Internet hookup. If you're in the boonies, it might be confusing. And it takes longer to download. It's not as quick and easy -- not quite the TV dinner."

Q: You were able to regain the digital rights to your solo albums. Any advice for acts trying to accomplish that?

Lanois: "If somebody wants to own your master, that's fine, but not for more than four years. That way, everybody has their party and everybody makes their money. I don't think it's necessary for artists to give up master rights forever, because then you become a catalog feather in the cap for a company that just wants to sell its content. It's unfair. I don't think record companies should automatically own your masters for good simply because they've helped you with a campaign. Those days are gone."

Q: Will you be playing any shows in support of "Here Is What Is?"

Lanois: "Our L.A. premiere will be at the Vista (Theatre) on March 27, and Brian Blade and I will play a half-hour set afterward. I don't know that I'll have the time to tour the world this way, but we'll certainly give it a try here in Silver Lake (a section of Los Angeles)."

Q: Besides U2, have you found time for other producing?

Lanois: "I've been avoiding it, but I've been helping out (alternative rock artist) Rocco DeLuca. He's just around the corner. We're coming out with one track a night, so there's practically an entire album done. He has a beautiful falsetto. It's strikingly pure. I've just never heard anything like it."

Q: U2 -- we'd be remiss if we didn't ask how it was going.

Lanois: "We're going to try and break new sonic ground and deliver a masterpiece. The sleeves are rolled up. Bono is all charged up with a lyrical angle. There's so much material. When you get Eno and I and those guys in the room, before lunch there's like eight things. We've had some exciting beginnings via jam sessions. Now we will pick our favorite beginnings and say, 'OK, that's a lovely springboard. Now what are we trying to say?' The springboards are sometimes melodic, sometimes riff-based, but I can assure you they are exciting."

Reuters/Billboard

Thanks for sharing this! What with this and all the news and pics coming out of Dublin, it's all so exciting to know that a new U2 album is on it's way soon, with tours to follow!! :hyper:

Isn't it exciting!!!

According to the most recent stuff on "Where the Album Has No Name", they're about done at HQ and are heading to a warmer area for further recording (maybe South of France?).

Exciting stuff! I can't wait to see if more clips come out! :hyper:

Thanks for posting this article. :applaud:

Before reading it, I had no idea that Daniel Lanois will be in my town this Monday for the showing of the film. I guess I'll check out the SXSW film schedule to see if I can get in....or find out where Lanois will be.

This is some of the BEST news that I've had all week. :dancing:

anything involving danny and brian has to be brilliant

good luck BF1 and Jamila!

EdgeIsTooSexy said:
anything involving danny and brian has to be brilliant

good luck BF1 and Jamila!

Thanks EdgeIsTooSexy - I had to miss the special preview of the movie today but it is being shown again this week and Lanois will be in concert twice this week in Austin so I will definitely be at one of those shows!

I'm going through some changes right now in my life so this will be a welcomed respite from reality.

:hi5: :dance:

Very cool. Is he playing a big/small venue?

hope everything is okay :hug:

-Adge

EdgeIsTooSexy said:
Very cool. Is he playing a big/small venue?

hope everything is okay :hug:

-Adge

Thanks Adge for your good thoughts. :wink:

As far as Daniel Lanois, he'll be playing a couple of clubs on Weds and Friday so they'll be smaller venues.

The film will still be shown a few more times this week so I'll try to make one of those showings too.

Just really good news that he's in town! :up:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

On another note:

If any of you will be traveling to Austin TX this week for the SXSW music conference (www.sxsw.com), then please feel free to join me on Weds afternoon, 12 March, as I staff booths for ONE and the MPWN at a "Progressive Music Fair" associated with the SXSW music conference.

The event that I will be staffing these booths at takes place at the RED 7 (love the name), 611 E. 7th Street, from 12pm-6pm with some EXCELLENT vegan food and some awesome indie music.

I am really excited about this because it gives me the opportunity to meet and network with other organizations around the country who are involved in social change movements.

Hope to see some of you there! :bonodrum: :hug:

thanks for sharing that.

would love to hear DL 's stuff.

Great and exciting news about the album.
I cannot wait. Hope they really will finish and produce by the fall.:drool:

I just wanted to share that I not only got the chance to see "Here Is What Is" last week while it was showing in Austin but I also got the chance to be part of a studio audience for a FREE performance by Daniel Lanois last Friday night!

I am still really excited about all this and would love to share what I can about last week with the new film and about seeing Lanois perform in person but only if people will be considerate of me. ;)

I'm not gloating about any of this but I do think that this was a unique opportunity for any U2 fan/follower to be given these chances to be in the presence of such a creative spirit as Daniel Lanois.

So, starting tomorrow night, in segments as my time allows, I'll start sharing some of my truly wonderful experiences from the SXSW music festival.

I hope that we can all enjoy what I post. :yippie:

To start, here is an interview with a local progressive music station that Daniel did last week in Austin:

http://www.kgsr.com/ip/

I hope that you'll enjoy. :cute:

Jamila said:
I just wanted to share that I not only got the chance to see "Here Is What Is" last week while it was showing in Austin but I also got the chance to be part of a studio audience for a FREE performance by Daniel Lanois last Friday night!

I am still really excited about all this and would love to share what I can about last week with the new film and about seeing Lanois perform in person but only if people will be considerate of me. ;)

I'm not gloating about any of this but I do think that this was a unique opportunity for any U2 fan/follower to be given these chances to be in the presence of such a creative spirit as Daniel Lanois.

So, starting tomorrow night, in segments as my time allows, I'll start sharing some of my truly wonderful experiences from the SXSW music festival.

I hope that we can all enjoy what I post. :yippie:

To start, here is an interview with a local progressive music station that Daniel did last week in Austin:

http://www.kgsr.com/ip/

I hope that you'll enjoy. :cute:

How awesome is that?!:hyper:
Thanks for sharing these news, Jamila.

BonoFox1 said:
If Anyone else want to join me to see Daniels premeire in LA let me know ;)

If the 27th had been a Fri or Sat I definitely would have BF1! But a Thu just won't work :(

If you go let us know how it was!

(Very cool Jamila :up: )

Today has been a very long one for me and I'm going to head in early on this St. Patrick's Day night so hopefully I'll have more time & energy to post with my impressions of the movie "Here Is What Is" tomorrow night.

For now, here is the other interview that I wanted to post with Daniel Lanois from last week in Austin:

http://sxsw.kut.org/2008/03/13/live-thursday-11-am-daniel-lanois/

Hope that you enjoy it.....see y'all tomorrow night. :wink:

Producer is U2's 'gatekeeper of the bedrock'

The Edmonton Sun, March 18, 2008
Jason Macneil

From his work on The Joshua Tree to, more recently, that on How To Build An Atomic Bomb, Daniel Lanois and U2 have a strong and unique bond. Lanois says the relationship is almost other-worldly. "I think we work well together because there's kind of a premonitional force in the room when I work with these guys," he says. "We sense that something might be right but we're not convinced yet and it's still the unknown. It's that unknown that keeps us going. We want to do something original. Bono wants to say something that has never been said before. We know we're going to have to roll up our sleeves, put our thinking caps on and do beautiful work."

A recent quote from Bono also described the relationship the band has with both Lanois and fellow producer Brian Eno. "Daniel Lanois, in a certain sense, is about the ancient," Bono said. "And Brian Eno is about the modern, the future, the things that haven't happened." "I'm about the ancient? I'll take that as a compliment," Lanois says with a laugh. "I'm just on a different floor than Eno. He uses his airplane time to build these rhythmic tapestries that he brings to the studio. And we'll often use them as a springboard for building a song. I've got a good barometer for what feels good so anything we do that we carry on with will have a reliable, emotional plateau in it for us to keep working on it. "I will fight for a very soulful bedrock and I won't carry on until we have it. I'll pay special attention to the ingredients that I deem to be viable as soulful. Eno will come in with these incredible electro-beginnings but in the end the bedrock that we end up with, I'm the gatekeeper of the bedrock."

(c) Edmonton Sun, 2008
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After seeing and hearing this man play his own music, I would definitely agree that he is the gatekeeper of the bedrock. :up:

I'll make my comments about last week very short and in two parts.

The first part:

The film "HereIs What Is" was here this past week in Austin TX as part of the SXSW Film Festival. (I guess it was the film's unofficial world debut since Austin is the FIRST venue which got the chance to see it)!

I saw it on Weds. afternoon (the film had three showings during the week) and thoroughly enjoyed it. When "Here Is What Is" finally gets to your area, I would highly recommend seeing it.

I will not go into a lot of details here because I think that it might take away from your own enjoyment of the film when you finally get to see it but I will say that the U2 part is especially great.

The film is beautifully shot in Fez and has a few special moments along the way.

Any U2 fan will love watching the creative process that takes place between U2 and their producers. :rockon:

Once the film has its showing in the Los Angeles area, I encourage BonoFox to share her impressions of the film -especially the U2 parts.

Tomorrow: the Daniel Lanois performance that I was present at.

:bonodrum: :love:

Last Friday night, Direct TV hosted a number of free concerts from the Austin Convention Center as part of its coverage of the SXSW music festival.

Here is my very brief review of the 45 minute performance that Daniel Lanois gave on Direct TV on Friday night. If you happened to see it yourself on Direct TV, please feel free to offer your ideas on it.

I thought that it was a masterful performance by Lanois and the drummer that he was working with but I felt the crowd was a bit too laid-back.

I don't know if they thought he was going to perform "Pride" or something but this was a Daniel Lanois performance - not a pseudo U2-like performance.

Daniel performed about seven-eight songs altogether including "Here Is What Is" and "The Maker" - both of which are some of my favorite Daniel Lanois songs.

It would have been great to have seen the interview with Daniel Lanois on Direct TV but at least I got the chance to see someone perform in person that I never thought that I would see - and for free, too!

Lanois is quite talented in his own respect which is why he can bring out the creativity in others.

Thanks for reading. It was a GREAT experience. :yippie:

Jamila said:
(I guess it was the film's unofficial world debut since Austin is the FIRST venue which got the chance to see it)!

Huh? Hardly. It was shown at the Toronto International Film Festival last September. Some interferencers actually saw it then and reported on it in detail.

I hope that you were one of them, biff. :sexywink:

It was at least the first showing of the film in the USA that I know of - unless you know of somewhere else it was shown in the USA before the SXSW Film Festival. :wink:

I just got back from seeing Mr.Lanios in LA..he and his band performed before the movie showing..it was exciting to see him live and the movie was pretty cool too..
mostly instudio teh stuff but very intresting. Danny sang some of my favorite songs and we got to meet him afterwards and took a few pics.
We had a lot of fun .. and it was cool too see a lot of my U2 pals tonight :wave:

^I will down load them tonight and post, ..It was cool to see U2 cameos in the film.:up:
Daniel was pleased that there was a packed audience, there was 2 showings one at 6:30 which is the one we attended and the next at 9:30
Keifer Sutherland was there waiting to get into the 2nd show ..it was so packed and afterwards when we were talking to Daniel he shyly stated that he didnt expect such a great turnout ..:)

Back
Top Bottom