Joe Strummer of Clash - Dead at 50

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

YellowKite

War Child
U2 frontman Bono said: "The Clash was the greatest rock band. They wrote the rule book for U2.

"Though I was always too much of a fan to get to know him well, we were due to meet in January to finish our Mandela song with Dave Stewart. It's such a shock," he told the Press Association.

The rest of the story: Clash Star Joe Strummer dies

I'm really bummed out about this. The Clash were a great band. They had a huge impact on music. They made a difference, and Strummer will be missed.:sad: :sad:
Damn.

I Am Heartbroken

The Clash were THE band for me when I was in college. Joe Strummer was my hero. I used to run around Manhattan looking for The Clash when they were in town. I met Joe twice--once at the Gramercy Park Hotel, and again at a press party in Asbury Park that was held at an indoor amusement center. Sad to say, both times I totally lost my cool, my poise and my dignity. Joe was rather underwhelmed by my presence. I don't blame him.

The music--ah, the music. There is only one album that tops "Achtung Baby" in my view, and that album is "London Calling." Rock doesn't get better than this.

I saw the Clash ten times in concert. My favorite show was at the Pier in Manhattan in '82. During the encore, the heavens opened and the rain came pouring down. And it was such so right for the show to end with a cloudburst, after the energy level that just built and built and built during the show.

And of course, we all should be grateful to Joe Strummer and his band for being a major influence on U2.

I am heartbroken.

Diane

i HATE to bump a thread about something like this, since i'm going to jump everytime i see it...but there can't be ONLY four people on this board who like the clash.

i'm a pretty pathetic as far as being a clash fan goes, since i only started listening to them a bit over a year ago, but at this time last year, that was ALL i was listening to...

and the joe strummer and the mescaleros albums are awesome

r.i.p. joe strummer...

:sad: :sad:

This is weird, another U2-related death connection. The Clash are one of their influences and Bono was going to perform with Joe very soon! .*chills* it seems to be all around them like it's following them. I hope they'll all be okay.

Bono said the Clash was his first real concert experience. It's sad Joe had to pass away before his time. RIP :(

On MTV's New Year's party the guitarist for the Foo Fighters had on a Clash shirt and his guitar had "Joe Strummer 1952-2002" written on it in black marker.

Last edited:
Mr Deep has a good photo of Joe and he having a drink at a pub a few yrs back.
I wish he would post that..

DB9

Foadie said:
:sad: Poor Joe. The Clash got me into the punk scene when I was a teen! He was an idol.
Drops in.

Hi Foadie, haven't see you for a while now. :wave:

Drops out.

Back
Top Bottom