It's off to Kansas for me!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moonlit_Angel

Blue Crack Addict
In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de
Just thought I'd let you guys know of this-my dad works at a country station here in town, and he's been scheduled to go down to this country stampede thing (it's kinda like a much smaller, country version of Woodstock) in a town in Kansas, and we're all going with him. We're leaving later this morning, after he gets off work, and we're not gonna be back until late Sunday night. So I'll see you all again next Monday. Until then, adios, amigos :wave:!

Angela

The town you are going to would not happen to be Manhattan, Kansas? I just got back from there this week while visiting my brother and his wife. They were telling me all about this Country Fair that was coming to their town with some big named bands.

tiny dancer said:
The town you are going to would not happen to be Manhattan, Kansas? I just got back from there this week while visiting my brother and his wife. They were telling me all about this Country Fair that was coming to their town with some big named bands.

Oh, yeah? Cool. :).

Yes, that was the town we were in. We went on Friday to the site where it was being held, and checked out a little bit of it. It was okay. We caught the end of this set by a new all-girl group called Cowboy Crush-the last song they did was "The Devil Went Down To Georgia", and they actually did a pretty good job on it-the fiddle player in particular impressed me. Unfortunately, there were some obnoxiously drunk people wandering around, so that kinda dampened things.

Thursday night, the concert had to end early because some nasty storms blew in-my mom and dad had gone up to check it out (my sister and I stayed behind at the hotel), and they said it was really hard to get out because the place was packed and it was pouring outside and everything. And they got more rain down there yesterday, and were supposed to get more today-the people running the thing were debating whether or not to continue it today because of the chances of rain and the way the ground was so muddy and everything, so that's one reason out of many why my family came home early (there's other bigger, kinda serious ones why we came home early, but it's a long story and everything, so I won't go into that).

So for the brief time we were down there, it was okay. I'm not one who listens to country music often, but the small bits I did catch weren't all that bad.

Heh, another thing I found kinda funny, too-people always associate the middle part of the country with the word "flat", but we went through a LOT of hilly areas on our way down there, and there were some pretty good-sized hills, too. The northeastern part of Kansas is quite pretty scenery-wise. :).

Angela

Small world, isn't Angela, that you happened to be in the same town that I was at this time last week. My brother and his wife both teach at K-State. I visit them about 2 or 3 times a year. I plan to go back in the fall for a football game. This last visit was a wash out too with rain.

tiny dancer said:
Small world, isn't Angela, that you happened to be in the same town that I was at this time last week.

No kidding. Small world, indeed.

Originally posted by tiny dancer
My brother and his wife both teach at K-State.

Neat. My dad passed by that college while we were down there, to kinda see what it looks like and everything-he was really impressed with it, said it was quite a good-sized campus.

I visit them about 2 or 3 times a year. I plan to go back in the fall for a football game.

Good deal. :).

This last visit was a wash out too with rain.

Yeah, it's a shame that the rain had to come at this time. The next day when we went down there, we saw all the mud and everything-there was one girl who was trying to leave the concert later that day, and her car wound up getting stuck in the mud, the poor thing.

I felt bad for the singers whose concerts were cancelled because of the storm Thursday night-all jazzed up about playing (and some of them, from what I understand, are just starting out, so they're excited about getting more exposure), and then they can't 'cause of a storm.

Angela

Back
Top Bottom