It's In Our Hands- Stop Violence Against Women

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
Amnesty Intl is launching a new campaign. If everyone reading this can just spend a bit of time on the Amnesty site and read about this campaign..or do something as simple as sending the virtual postcard to your friends and family, that would be great :up:

http://web.amnesty.org/actforwomen/index-eng

Violence Against Women Terrifyingly High - Amnesty
Fri March 5

By Jeremy Lovell

LONDON (Reuters) - From battlefields to backstreets and bedrooms, women across the world are being subjected to terrifying levels of abuse, human rights pressure group Amnesty International said on Friday.

"This is not something that just happens 'over there.' It happens here," said Amnesty's secretary general Irene Khan, launching a campaign to end violence against women.

"It is not something that only happens to other people. It happens to you, your friends and your family," she added. "Until all of us, men as well as women, say 'no, I will not let this happen' it will not stop."

In a report "It's in our hands. Stop violence against women," Amnesty said up to one billion women -- one in every three -- had been beaten, forced to have sex or otherwise abused, often by a friend or family member.

In Zambia, five women a week were murdered by a male partner or family friend, while around the world one woman in five would suffer a rape or attempted rape at some point, and the practice had even become a weapon of war.
"Armed conflict is having a devastating and desperate impact on women that goes far beyond the inherent violence of war," Khan said.

Each year two million girls between the ages of five and 15 were forced into prostitution and the traffic in women was worth up to $7 billion a year, Amnesty said.

The problem was by no means confined to developing regions.

In the United States, a woman was beaten by her husband or partner on average every 15 seconds and one was raped every 90 seconds, while in France 25,000 women were raped each year, the report said.

But such was the stigma attached to rape victims -- some of whom might later be murdered by a family member in so-called honor killings -- that the level of reporting was a fraction of the truth.

"Behind closed doors and in secret, women are subjected to violence by their partners and close relatives, too ashamed and afraid to report it and so seldom taken seriously when they do," Khan said.

In sub-Saharan Africa, the epicenter of the HIV /AIDS pandemic, nearly 60 percent of infected people were women -- a rising trend exacerbated by the belief in some countries that raping a virgin would cure the perpetrator of the disease.

Worldwide more than 135 million girls and women had undergone female circumcision, and the number was rising at a rate of two million a year, Amnesty said.

"The effects of economic globalization are leaving more and more women trapped in poverty on the margins of society," Khan said.

"In this, as in so many other ways, governments are failing to address the real terror of our world that millions of women face every day," she added, urging global action to end the abuse of women.

From battlefields to backstreets and bedrooms, women across the world are being subjected to terrifying levels of abuse, human rights pressure group Amnesty International said on Friday.

"This is not something that just happens 'over there.' It happens here," said Amnesty's secretary general Irene Khan, launching a campaign to end violence against women.

"It is not something that only happens to other people. It happens to you, your friends and your family," she added. "Until all of us, men as well as women, say 'no, I will not let this happen' it will not stop."

In a report "It's in our hands. Stop violence against women," Amnesty said up to one billion women -- one in every three -- had been beaten, forced to have sex or otherwise abused, often by a friend or family member.

In Zambia, five women a week were murdered by a male partner or family friend, while around the world one woman in five would suffer a rape or attempted rape at some point, and the practice had even become a weapon of war.

"Armed conflict is having a devastating and desperate impact on women that goes far beyond the inherent violence of war," Khan said.

Each year two million girls between the ages of five and 15 were forced into prostitution and the traffic in women was worth up to $7 billion a year, Amnesty said.

The problem was by no means confined to developing regions.

In the United States, a woman was beaten by her husband or partner on average every 15 seconds and one was raped every 90 seconds, while in France 25,000 women were raped each year, the report said.

But such was the stigma attached to rape victims -- some of whom might later be murdered by a family member in so-called honor killings -- that the level of reporting was a fraction of the truth.

"Behind closed doors and in secret, women are subjected to violence by their partners and close relatives, too ashamed and afraid to report it and so seldom taken seriously when they do," Khan said.

In sub-Saharan Africa, the epicenter of the HIV/AIDS pandemic, nearly 60 percent of infected people were women -- a rising trend exacerbated by the belief in some countries that raping a virgin would cure the perpetrator of the disease.

Worldwide more than 135 million girls and women had undergone female circumcision, and the number was rising at a rate of two million a year, Amnesty said.

"The effects of economic globalization are leaving more and more women trapped in poverty on the margins of society," Khan said.

"In this, as in so many other ways, governments are failing to address the real terror of our world that millions of women face every day," she added, urging global action to end the abuse of women.

Thanks for the inspirational post Mrs. S. I had read about this online today. :up: Spreading awareness about this issue is something that can stop the violence and tolerance towards violence. No one deserves a life of violence.. I hope PLEBANS get involved in any ways they can. :heart:

I agree oliveu2cm, this stuff is horrible and has got to be stopped. I hope PLEBAns will get involved somehow to stop violence against women all over.

Also join the all year round international campaign to stop violence against women:

www.vday.org

I just participated in performances of the "Vagina Monologues" to benefit V-Day. It was a powerful, extremely moving experience. Every woman should see the show, read articles like Mrs. Springsteen posted and GET MOTIVATED! It's amazing how much violence occurs in the world, and it's also amazing how much we can do as individuals to stop it. :yes:

In my neighborhood, I don't have to search the world for someone to help. I have seen some bad stuff personally. I'm glad they are bringing attention to this problem so women all over the world can be helped.

I saw a show on Lifetime about the Vagina Monolouges...it was so sad and I cried as I watched it, trying to figure out ways to help the women in need. It's horrible what women all over the world have to endure such horrible things every single day. I think everyone should get involved to figure out a way to put a stop to it.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting.
I'm a member of Amnesty International - Italian Section and all the pubblicity we can have will be fundamental so that we REALLY can try and mend the situation.
As you can imagine, we are dealing with cases where women were considered in such absurd ways!
Please, try and help us if you want!

Back
Top Bottom