Is this correct?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thankyou

Refugee
I just got a link to this information in my email box:

Catwalk Queen - http://www.catwalkqueen.tv/

True to form, Edun, the clothing line Bono and his wife launched last year, with the aim of helping the fashion-challenged amongst us to get dressed in the morning, has sold so poorly that Bono announced the closure of the company at a press conference this week. "Edun clothes sold so poorly that we were increasing Third World debt by having them manufactured in the Third World," said Bono.

Is this correct? Does anyone have info on this press conference? Nothing is posted in the U2 news about it. :shrug:

Well, Bono has a weird sense of humor. I'm glad to see it was all just a joke then. :lol:

I'd hate to see Edun not making it, especially for Ali.

thankyou said:
Well, Bono has a weird sense of humor. I'm glad to see it was all just a joke then. :lol:

Yep, those Hewsons must be down to their last 50 million.....

blueeyedgirl said:

Yep, those Hewsons must be down to their last 50 million.....

Eh .......I didn't mean for them financially, :huh: but that it would be hard for Ali to see that she hadn't been able to help the people she cares about and be able to make a difference in helping the african trade. Get real.

i'm all for helping third world debt...but i'm still in my own debt with those jeans I bought!!!

Edun has beautiful clothes , but its so expensive plus there is so much competition out there with everyone having a clothes line...

I hope that they continue with EDUN, but I think the RED campaign will do better..

I only have an EDUN hoodie and that set be back some $$ at the time I bought it..I wish I could buy more but cant at the moment

I've seen pix of celebrities wearing EDUN, and also seen various of their clothing articles in fashion mags.... it takes a while for a label to develop a following... especially when its higher-end.

I'm just happy w/my ONE t-shirt for now!! :)

They should somehow include Edun w/ Red so it could do better or get more publicity. It would be a shame if they really did close down...I love the idea of the company.

Or maybe they should try and make it a little low end for the rest of us! I like buying nice clothes, but i'm personally not going to spend all my $ on designer jeans and $40 t-shirts.

thankyou said:

thankyou, I know that you meant well by your statement so I'm not criticizing you

but as a person that has friends in Lesotho, I know how much this little landlocked southern African country is relying on EDUN (and Bono's and Ali's "star power") to bring back economic investment in their country.

As 40% of Lesotho's GNP is dependent on its textile industry, the real losers if EDUN ever did close would be the people in countries like Lesotho who manufacture these clothes.

And that would be the biggest disappointment. :(

Jamila said:

As 40% of Lesotho's GNP is dependent on its textile industry, the real losers if EDUN ever did close would be the people in countries like Lesotho who manufacture these clothes.

:up: Jamila - this is really important to remember.

and if you can't handle the expense of the clothes line, you can always donate whatever/whenever you can to the AWF. :yes:

sue4u2 said:

and if you can't handle the expense of the clothes line, you can always donate whatever/whenever you can to the AWF. :yes:

Or purchase "fair trade" clothes from one of many other non-profits already in place. EDUN is certainly not unique; they are different in that they are marketing towards higher-end fashion. There are other clothing lines that are more affordable, but unfortunately they go unnoticed unless someone like Bono comes along and makes them cool :wink:

Liesje said:

Or purchase "fair trade" clothes from one of many other non-profits already in place. EDUN is certainly not unique; they are different in that they are marketing towards higher-end fashion. There are other clothing lines that are more affordable, but unfortunately they go unnoticed unless someone like Bono comes along and makes them cool :wink:

Could you tell me which other clothing lines? I'd be interested to know. thankyou.

I can't remember the names since I don't shop any of them (including EDUN) :reject: I think I got them in one of the other EDUN threads, someone posted some labels that had online shopping sites. I looked through a bunch back then and they often had more items than EDUN or (RED) and were sometimes half the cost of EDUN things.

We have a few local shops and orgs around here (since a church denomination is based here, they are a parent to a lot of social justice orgs in the area), but I don't think they have websites or sell online.

sue4u2 said:

:up: Jamila - this is really important to remember.

Thanks, sue4u2, for understanding the spirit of my post.

As I have friends and associates in Lesotho, some of who travel in the same circles as EDUN does, I must admit I am VERY close in my heart to what EDUN and GAP (RED) are doing for the people of Lesotho.

:bono: :heart: :heart: :hug:

Jamila said:

I totally get what you're saying. I agree, the people of Lesotho would be most greatly affected. I just thought about Ali first, because I admire her so much :heart: and how much this would matter to her. You know what I mean, right?

thankyou said:

I totally get what you're saying. I agree, the people of Lesotho would be most greatly affected. I just thought about Ali first, because I admire her so much :heart: and how much this would matter to her. You know what I mean, right?

I know that your intentions were good, thankyou, in thinking about the effect that any major problems with EDUN would have on Ali (and Bono).

That's why I didn't criticize you.

I was simply bringing up how desparate the people of Lesotho are for these two clothing enterprises (EDUN and GAP RED) to succeed for the future survival of their country.

Maybe we can't afford an EDUN pair of jeans (if we could even fit in them :sexywink: ) but we can afford a few of the cheaper EDUN tees to "help the cause" of keeping these impoverished people in Lesotho working.

Just an idea. Thanks for the polite discussion. :dancing:

Liesje said:

I agree with this, in part. Anyone looking for another ethical and affordable brand - American Apparel brand is a good brand to start.

http://www.americanapparelstore.com/main.html

It is true that there are several other fair trade lines, but very few of them are manufacturing IN Africa. So I do think Edun's commitment to not only be fair and ethical, but also committed to that specific region, makes the brand unique in that respect.

Manufacturing in Africa poses a lot of business challenges, and Bono and Ali certainly are putting in more money to this brand than they are getting out of it - but somehow I doubt that is a huge problem for them ;)

Back
Top Bottom