Is this an Interferencer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

biff

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
I saw this article in this morning's Toronto Star. It's part of an ongoing series about otherwise ordinary people who are also fanatics. This week, it's a woman who's a big U2 fan (although MANY of the people here would put her to shame, fan-wise). There's a picture of her in the paper, surrounded by mountains of U2 stuff, but I can't find the picture online.

Anyway, I was wondering if she's an Interferencer. Any "real" fan is, no? LOL

What more, in the name of love?

Mar 11, 2007 04:30 AM

Malene Arpe

Sarah Stone is a fan of The Police. She's got tickets to the upcoming show. She's also excited about Crowded House getting back together. And she's a big fan of the Toronto Raptors.

But, "in the hierarchy, U2 is No. 1."

It's No. 1 to such a degree that her three daughters, aged five, six and 10, jokingly refer to their "Uncle Bono." The 37-year-old medical insurance underwriter and her tolerant family live in Waterloo. Uncle Bono doesn't live with them.

"I would probably go to every show within a six- to eight-hour radius if money wasn't an issue," says Stone.

What is your first memory of U2?

There are a few. I sort of became aware of them around Grade 9 or 10. One of the strong memories is hearing "Pride (In the Name of Love)" on the radio and a couple of other defining moments for me was the Red Rocks concert in Colorado and there's this iconic image of Bono with the white flag singing "Sunday Bloody Sunday." And at Live Aid, the huge, defining moment for the band was when Bono jumped off the stage. I'd never seen anything like it.

When did you know you were a fan?

Their music has been the soundtrack of my life since my teenage years. But it's ebbed and flowed. The Joshua Tree was such a huge album and it almost got played too much, so for a time I got out of it. And it's funny when I met my husband, he was a huge fan. That was around when they took the band in a different direction with Achtung Baby and my husband reintroduced me to the band. And that's when I went over the edge and eclipsed my husband in the fandom.

How does that fandom manifest itself?

Any social gathering inevitably turns to U2 and Bono and his extracurricular activities. I've been able to convert people to be fans of the band's music and also their philanthropic efforts; Bono with the debt relief and the Red campaign and the Edge with Music Rising that gives instruments back to musicians in New Orleans. I have a little Product Red (AIDS fundraising) poster at work and people will ask what it's about. It's exciting. It's more than just the music.

It sounds almost religious ...

It sounds that way, doesn't it? I certainly have no illusions about the band or Bono – who kind of is my primary interest. I have no illusions they're perfect people. I see Bono as a prophetic voice in our culture and using his fame the best possible way he can. And there's a definite spiritual undercurrent to the music. ... People have often referred to being at a U2 concert as being in church. ... I'm happy I'm not the only person to think that.

How much money do you spend?

When they're touring, huge amounts. Especially if we can't get tickets the conventional way. ... Some people go on vacations and lie on beaches or take cruises. My husband and I go to concerts.

Have you met and made friends with other people through your fandom?

I waited in line all day for one of the shows in Toronto to get good spots and we made really good friends with some other fan club members. And later I went to Buffalo with a couple of great girls I met there. It's great, you have that sort of instant bond, instant recognition.

What is the absolute highlight of your life as a fan?

We were in general admission, at the rails, near the catwalk. I brought a funny sign and Bono responded to the sign. It was really exciting.

Alisaura said:
If money wasn't an issue, I'd go to every show on the planet... but maybe that's just Australian tour-deprivation talking. :reject:

If I could, you know I would....

Yes, I would take any journey if I had the money.

No 8 hours range.
I sincerely thought on going to Hawaii which is halfway round the world. I just hadn't nearly enough money to do so. :(

I went in to debt to fly from San Diego to Portland for the last Vertigo concert here on mainland US. But then I'm always in debt so I didn't care. :wink:

What exactly does she mean by a "six- to eight-hour radius" when it comes to going to a U2 concert? Does that mean the time it takes to drive to the venue, see the concert and the trip back home? Coz if that's the case, if she lived here, out in the back of beyond, an eight-hour timeframe to see U2 in concert just wouldn't cut it!! :eyebrow:

Even when U2 come to Finland, it's a 1 hour trip to the nearest train station and another 5 hours on the train down to Helsinki!! I've travelled to Sweden, Ireland (twice) and Denmark in order to see U2 live. And, I'm hoping the next time U2 tour, they'll come to Finland, I plan on staying at hotel not too far from the one U2 usually stay at! :wink:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom