In the maze of her imagination- pt 8

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sweetie

Refugee
MA - the land of every weather pattern imaginable
Hello everyone! I'm so glad that you're enjoying the story. I completely welcome feedback. I've always written short stories and fan fiction but never really shared them except with the person that I wrote about (the civilian--not the entertainer :) )

This story wrote itself and swept me away. I guess Bono was my muse. :heart:

Disclaimer - Completely fiction. About as fake as my tan. :wink:

With barely a word to each other they dried off the best they could. They back tracked to the bridge, picked up the backpacks, headed over the bridge, and walked along the only path visible to them, along the river.

Bono had briefly eyed the spot where the railing was demolished. He felt a rush of anger. This was no accident.

Gioia ’s mind was a complete blank. She was numb. From start to finish, the episode at the bridge lasted no more than an hour. She didn’t know what to think. Bono hadn’t said a word.

After a few minutes, Gioia started to hear squeaking. She ignored it for a minute or two, but then her curiosity started to get the better of her. She looked around her and behind her.

Squeak! Squeak! She looked up at the trees.
Squeak! Squeak! She stopped walking. Bono didn’t notice and kept going.

Squeak! Squeak! Squeak!

Bono noticed that Gioia wasn’t behind him. He stopped and turned around. “What?”

Gioia melted into laughter. She couldn’t catch her breath. “You’re squeaking!!” She couldn’t stop. She was doubled over and finally sat down in the middle of the path and roared.

Bono grinned. He knew what she was letting out. He imagined that he had added a bit to her anxiety. He squeaked over to her. Gioia lay back in the road and her entire body shook with uncontrollable laughter.

He stood over her. He crouched down and pulled her into a sitting position. Weakened with laughter, it took a few minutes for Gioia ’s breathing to return to normal. She was left looked dazedly into Bono’s smiling eyes.

“Are you alright now?”

She nodded. She felt so foolish. “Sorry. I don’t know what came over me.”

Bono helped her to her feet. He held her face in his hands and moved in close, holding her wide-eyed gaze captive with his intenseness.

“I know exactly what came over you.” He said huskily. He kissed her deeply, ending it with his teeth gently tugging on her lower lip.

Gioia felt the power of that simple kiss settle in her belly, but before she could collect herself to respond he pulled away.

“Let’s go. We still have a long way to go.”

She nodded. “But at least we’re heading in the right direction.”

Bono smiled. Yes we are, he thought to himself.

They were walking along in silence. Water squished in Gioia ’s shoes. She had taken off her socks, and tucked them into her back pockets, hoping that they would dry. She also prayed that she wouldn’t develop blisters. She felt like a mess.
Her beautiful blouse was torn and wrinkled and covered with grass stains. A smile flashed across her lips. She looked over at Bono but he was staring off into a point in the distance. She sighed.

It had been a few hours and they had barely spoken to each other. She wished she knew what he was thinking. She had replayed the scene by the river many times and each time she remembered it the same way. Romantic, loving, and extremely sexy. But now that more time had passed, she wondered if Bono was remembering it differently. Or worse, with regret.

She spared him another look. She couldn’t tell if he was dry, but if he was uncomfortable he wasn’t complaining out loud. Although he did seem to be walking funny. It was good thing he had decided to forego the leather pants for the concert.
She thought he looked adorable. His pants were speckled with dirt and were sticking to him. His black shirt was now streaked gray, wrinkled, and missing a few buttons. She wondered if she had had a hand in that. A giggle escaped her.

Bono heard this and looked at her in surprise. He smiled his roguish smile. “Are you laughing at me again?”

“I just think you look—dapper. Especially with that smear of dirt across your cheek and the dandelion stuck to your butt.”

He wiped at the seat of his pants and came away with the offending flower. He snickered. “Don’t you dare laugh at me until you take a good look at yourself!”

Gioia laughed, not taking any offense. “Honest to God, Bono. What I wouldn’t give for a shower!”

He raised his eyebrows in disbelief. “What? The river wasn’t enough for you?”

That sobered her and she placed a hand on his arm. They stopped walking. She looked up at him but hesitated before speaking. She realized that she had never thanked him for rescuing her.

“I –I wanted to thank you for saving me. I have felt safe with you and have trusted you all along, and now I understand why.”
Bono shook his head and pulled her into an embrace. “You’re so silly. You don’t need to thank me.”

“Yes I do.” She muttered stubbornly against his chest. Bono chuckled and kissed her on the nose.

They continued to walk.

“Bono?”

“Mmmmm?” He murmured.

“Are you ever going to tell me what’s going on? I wasn’t lying to you when I said that I trusted you. I do know that you’re trying to protect me, but I need to know.”

Bono nodded but was silent.

Gioia was patient. She could tell that he was trying to sort his thoughts. When did she get to know him so well? The thought warmed her.

“Truth is”, he started. “I really don’t know what’s happening.”

This surprised Gioia . “But—back there. Fletcher said—And you got angry—I saw you get angry with him as if he said something that you didn’t want me to find out about yet!”

Bono shook his head. “That’s not it at all. I thought I knew. I thought I’d be able to control what was happening!”

He took a deep breath and looked at her. She was patiently listening to him. She trusted him and was giving him the chance to explain things.

“According to Irish folklore, Aine is considered a queen among the goddesses. Every year three days are dedicated to her. On the third day Aine claims a life as a sacrifice for the prosperity of her people. Some say it’s for love and fertility. Some also say that she was very revengeful and didn’t care for her people, only for her own power and youth. Then others say that the sacrifice is someone willing while still others say that she chooses the sacrifice.”

“Well, which of those is true do you suppose?” Gioia questioned softly. She tried to ignore the knot of terror that was rising in her throat.

Bono shook his head. “Its folklore. Irish mythology. None of it’s supposed to be true. We’re not supposed to be here!” He sighed and calmed down. “ I’m trying to figure out what exactly is true or not. I feel that we’re being led unknowingly into something. Don’t you see that everyone we’ve met could just be a part of this—this--game? Each can tell us whatever the f*ck they want to and it’s up to us if we believe them or not. They have us caught in indecision. But one thing is consistent. Everyone is leading us to Leanan Sidhe and Aine.”

Gioia saw the worry on his face. She was surprised at herself for appearing outwardly calm with the knowledge that she may be Aine’s next sacrifice.

“Not Fletcher.” She said.

“What?”

“Fletcher told us not to go Leanan Sidhe. He said that rumor had it that Aine was angered that her amulet had been taken. Maybe this is not a trap or a lure. Maybe everything is as it should be. Maybe we just need to return this necklace to Aine and then we can go home.”

Bono looked at her while considering her words. She could be right. He could be reading too much into this. The Wareings recognized the amulet and gave them instructions on how to return it. And then Fletcher gave them a warning not to go to Aine’s fortress for fear of her wrath. Gioia ’s theory could be true. Except –

Bono shook his head. “I’m sorry Gioia . I don’t buy it.

“The amulet has power. It brought both of us here. What was it doing in the middle of the jungle? The Wareings recognized the necklace. I saw fear in Thornton’s eyes! And this—this ridiculous map!” He waved the map for effect.

“These aren’t directions! They feel almost like incantations. It’s all too ritualistic.”

Gioia absorbed this and still tried to stay calm in the face of Bono’s mounting fury.

“So you think that Fletcher was helping us?”

Bono shrugged.

“Then why did you get angry at him?”

“I still don’t know what he’s about. He’s a goddamn bullfrog; an enchanted one at that. Who the f*ck cast a spell on him?”

Gioia thought for a moment. “Aine?”

Bono shook his head. “We’re going around in circles. We’re missing something. Maybe we were meant to find the amulet. Maybe someone was meant to find it, not specifically us. Certainly doesn’t explain why we were both pulled in”.

“I don’t understand. Why us? Why the both of us?” Gioia sounded frustrated.

“I don’t know.” He said softly. “Apparently there may be plans for the both of us. We’re not even sure that what happened to you at the bridge was an accident.”

That startled Gioia . They truly had no idea what there were up against. They could either continue on their way to Leanan Sidhe and return the amulet or veer off and find alternate help. They hadn’t encountered anyone else on the road except for Fletcher and the Wareings. It seemed as if they were part of some master plan and the stage was set specifically for them. This rationale frightened Gioia but she was willing to accept it. With Bono beside her she was willing to meet fate head on.

“Bono, I think we should stay on course. We really don’t have any clear cut choices.”

He marveled at her cool. It dawned on him how deeply he was starting to feel for her. How much he respected her courage. He also felt helpless, but he needed to make a decision. She had to know that there were no guarantees. That they may never get back. He thought about this for a moment. His career, his music, friends, and family – never to see them again? He may not have a choice.

And what about her? Her sacrifices were no less important. She had friends and family at home as well; people who loved her and would miss her.

And just because she had reacted to his kiss and to his caresses certainly didn’t mean that she’d be thrilled with spending her life with him. Providing there was a life here to be spent. His mind was racing. Again, they may not have a choice.

“I agree.” He said to her. She gave him a hesitant smile before taking his hand and continuing their trek.

That night they set up camp under a massive oak tree. Their ration of food had dwindled down to bread and a quarter skin of water.

Gioia couldn’t have cared less. She was in love. She was certain of it. She didn’t know how to describe the feeling. All these years she had considered herself in love with Bono. She had known so much about him. Following the media’s eye with a devoted heart, she had followed his journey to stardom, laughing with his triumphs and crying with his heartaches.

But now she realized that although it was true that she loved him, she was now experiencing the true exhilaration of falling in love. In a sense, she couldn’t believe this was all happening. It was as if this scenario had been fashioned from her imagination. She doubted that back home, meaning in the current year, never mind Massachusetts, she would’ve ever gotten the opportunity to get this close to him. To be able to converse with him, to hold, to kiss him – to love him. Come what may, Gioia wouldn’t change any moment from the past week, even if it meant an uncertain future.

She looked up at Bono and drank in his presence with her eyes. She couldn’t take her eyes off of him. He had his shoes and socks off. He had a couple of days worth of stubble since he had given up on the daisy razor. His dark hair was tousled. His shirt, un-tucked and torn, was opened at the throat, his rosary visible against the dark hair of his chest. He sat cross-legged on the blanket and he was studying the map intently. He looked adorable. Her heart constricted with love for him.

She concentrated hard and willed him to look up and make eye contact.

“Ah!” He exclaimed suddenly. “We’re looking for a f*cking waterfall!”

Gioia chuckled. “Did anyone ever tell you that you have a f*cking potty mouth?”

Bono looked up and grinned widely and their eyes met. Bono took note of her beauty in the moonlight. Her direct gaze stirred a longing in him. Her lips were inviting as a slight smile teased them. ‘Kiss me’, they seemed to say to him.

Damn it!! Demand it of me, his thoughts raged. Tell me to kiss you!

But the moment passed and Gioia looked away.

Bono regained control and chuckled softly to himself.

“What are you laughing about?” She asked.

“I find it a sweet contradiction that you use f*ck and potty mouth in the same sentence.”

“Are you saying that I’m amusing?” She teased.

Bono looked at her warmly, his eyes speaking volumes. “No—just sweet.”

Awkward silence. Both wanting each other, but neither making a move.

“A waterfall?” Gioia broke the silence and scooted closer to Bono.

Bono nodded, unable to find his voice as quickly as she had. He showed her the map and she agreed that the clue meant a waterfall. But where was it? And what were they supposed to do once they got there?

Toodles until Monday!

Monday????? We have to wait until Monday??????

Oh, wait! I won't be near a computer until Monday, so that's ok.

Really, though, I sometimes wish I hadn't found this until it was complete because then I could just read straight through.

I love this story! They need to make this into a Fantasy film, have Bono playing himself and me as the leading lady. :D Keep up the great work! I'll definately be checking out the next installment Monday. :)

great story!!! :up: i just got back from my snowboarding trip tp find all this here and it's excellent :bow: :bow: keep up the good work

Back
Top Bottom