In the maze of her imagination - pt 4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sweetie

Refugee
MA - the land of every weather pattern imaginable
Hi there!
I hope you like it so far :)

Disclaimer - absolute fantasy.

Bono reached out and grasped Gioia’s hand and pulled her close to him as they walked toward the cottage.

Gioia was starting to feel panic. The scene seemed completely out of place in the jungles of Brazil. She didn’t want to admit it, but suddenly everything felt and looked differently. The air was cooler. Not the sticky humidity of just a few hours ago. The trees by the road were not the lush wet vegetation and underbrush of the rainforest, but oak and willow. And of course, there was the cottage and farm that they were about to approach. Gioia squeezed Bono’s hand in apprehension.

“Hello there!” The woman walked over to them amicably. She was short and plump with a round smiling face. White hair peeked out from under a bonnet on her head even though she hardly seemed older than middle aged. She wiped her hands on her apron and extended a warm welcome.

“Welcome! My name is Madeline Wareing. My husband, Thornton, is out in the fields this time of day.” She had a bit of an odd accent, one that Olina couldn’t place.

Bono smiled warmly and shook her hand.
“My name is Bono”. He paused and watched her face for signs of recognition. There was none. He raised his eyebrows in surprise and glanced over at Gioia.

“And this is Gioia”.

“How do you do Mrs. Bono?” It came out sounding like Buh-nu. Madeline extended her hand to Gioia . Gioia grinned widely and shook her hand.

She then hooked an arm under Bono’s and Gioia ’s and started to pull them toward the house.
“You two have the look of weary travelers.”

She was shocked at their clothing. Never mind that they were dirty and bedraggled, but the dear girl was wearing men’s trousers and an indecent sleeveless chemise. And her husband, handsome devil, looked like a highwayman, with a few days growth of facial hair and dressed head to toe in black.

Madeline wasn’t worried about them though. She could always tell a person’s character by their smile. His smile was charming and sincere, while his beauty of a wife had a sweet and loving smile.

“Poor things, you must be starved and tired”. She chattered on as she ushered them into her home.

Against his better judgment, Bono let the kindly woman lead them into charming cottage. He looked around and found the main room to be homey and clean. There were many hallways leading away from the main room that must lead to the other rooms of the home. The cottage looked bigger on the inside than it did from the outside.

Inside were the smells of food cooking over the hearth and bread baking in the brick oven. Bono felt his stomach contract in hunger. He realized that they hadn’t eaten since before the concert. He noticed Gioia ’s eyes were looking longingly at the hearth as well.

He leaned over and whispered to her, “We’ll stay for dinner and then find out where the f*ck we are”.

For some reason that cracked her up and laughter bubbled out of her. Bono chuckled and kissed her on the cheek.

That sobered her up instantly.

Later that evening Bono was pacing outside. The sun was setting. Orange, gold, and purpled hues streaked across the sky.
He was smoking a cigarette of sorts. It tasted odd. Not unpleasant, just without the addiction sustaining tobacco and nicotine. Madeline’s husband had rolled it for him. He took a deep drag. He didn’t care. He had needed a cigarette badly; didn’t matter what it was made up of. He stopped pacing and closed his eyes. He tilted his face up to the twilight’s sun as the events of the past few hours replayed in his head.

Madeline had fed them bowls of hearty lamb stew with crusty bread and cupfuls of ale. Bono thought he had died and gone to heaven. They ate in silence while their hostess pitter-pattered about the room and chit chatted to them.

She mentioned the name Munster, and Bono perked up and frowned. “Did you say we’re in County Munster?”

“Why yes dear. Where is it that you are heading?”

Bono was silent for a moment and looked around the room. A strange look passed over his face and Gioia thought she saw a trace of fear in his eyes.

“We’re trying to get back to Rio.” He said woodenly, as if not understanding his own words.

Madeline shook her head. “Don’t know how to get there dear. But maybe my husband does. Here he comes now”.

Bono stood and met her husband, who greeted them warmly.

With their meal over, Bono and Gioia graciously thanked their hosts for a nourishing meal and announced that there were going to continue on their way.

“Nonsense!” Madeline raised her hand in protest. We would be happy to have you stay the night as our guests”. Her husband seemed shocked by her invitation but still nodded in agreement.

Gioia glanced over at Bono trying to discern his thoughts on this. Bono knew that they had to rest and have a good night’s sleep. His thoughts were fuzzy and he really needed to figure out a way to contact someone who could help them. A quick scan of the house yielded no telephone and no electricity for that matter. Bono was confused and the lack of rest wasn’t making his befuddlement any easier. Plus, he needed to look out for his companion. He gave Gioia a warm look.

“As long as it’s not an inconvenience and I insist on repaying you for your hospitality once I get back to….civili—er--Rio”, Bono replied. He hoped to get some bit of recognition out of the Wareings.

The kindly couple looked at each other in confusion.

“That isn’t necessary. We don’t get many visitors around these parts.”

Bono nodded, “Can’t imagine that you do”.

Gioia sat quietly. Why was she getting an image of axe murderers?

“Come along dear. I’ll show you to your room and I’ll draw a lovely bath for you. Poor thing, you lost your baggage…tsk tsk”. Madeline led Gioia away.

Gioia caught Bono’s eye before she was ushered out of the room. He winked at her. He was wondering how many rooms they were going to occupy tonight.

He was still watching Gioia’s retreating form when Thornton starting talking with him.

“Pretty girl, your wife.”
Bono chuckled. “Yes, yes she is”.
“You’ve been traveling long?”
“Only a few days. We got caught in that storm yesterday”.
Thornton frowned. Storm? It hadn’t rained in weeks.
“Tell me….Bono was it?” Bono nodded.
“Where did your wife find the amulet of Leanan Sidhe?”
Bono looked at him strangely. “Pardon?”

“The amulet! The neck chain and the talisman of the goddess Aine!” Thornton seemed anxious and his voice was getting higher in pitch.

“I’m sorry sir. I don’t know what--.” Bono stopped. He must be referring to the necklace that Gioia was wearing. The one that she had found on the ground. Jesus! She had complained of feeling lightheaded and the sensation of floating. She attributed it to hunger and exhaustion. Could it be that it was because of the necklace?

Bono cleared his throat and tried to calm himself. “What exactly is the amulet of Leanan Sidhe?”

Thornton lowered his eyes. He didn’t know what to make of this Irishman who didn’t know what Leanan Sidhe was. He didn’t know how this couple found the amulet but he knew that they had no idea what it was. Either way, he could not risk having it in his home. After tonight, they would have to leave.

“Sit down my boy. And pay close attention.”

Bono felt a chill race up his spine but he searched for his open mind and sat down.

Bono opened his eyes. The sun had already set. He tossed his cigarette and headed back into the cottage. He needed to rest but with his mind laced with disturbing thoughts, he doubted he would get much sleep tonight.

Gioia was soaking in a deep tub, the heat of the soapy water calming her. She closed her eyes and sighed contently. If she could’ve purred, she would have. She had scrubbed her hair with the travel-sized bottle of shampoo from her backpack until her scalp tingled. She put a droplet of scented bath gel in the water and the subtle aroma of citrus filled the air.

Madeline had been in and out of the room at least a ½ dozen times. Oh, she had been polite about it, always knocking first. A few times for the water, then the linens, then of course, she had to fluff the pillows. Gioia almost laughed out loud when she saw her sniffing the air, wondering where the citrus smell was coming from. It had been a few minutes since her last visit so she had finally relaxed in the tub.

There was a soft knock at the door and she sighed and smiled to herself. Without opening her eyes, she replied, “Come in”.
The door opened. There was silence.

Gioia opened her eyes and gasped. Bono was standing at the open door with a dumbfounded look on his face. His hand was still on the knob. For a second she could only stare at him. He must’ve washed up in another area of the house because his hair was damp and he was freshly shaven. She still could not believe that he was near to her. They were traveling together. Getting to know each other, relying on each other. When she actually gave the reality of it some thought, the situation was surreal. And here he was, in her room.

Gioia sank deeper into the tub so that even her shoulders were submerged.

Bono was mortified. He may have his outrageous streak above all he was a gentleman. He instantly turned around.

“I’m sorry Gioia”, he said gruffly. “I-I-I’ll come back in a bit”. With that he left the room and closed the door behind him with what could be considered a slam.

Gioia groaned and covered her eyes with her hand. She had no idea what he had seen. She couldn’t remember how much the water covered. She had known the man for only two nights and he had already seen her in a tub! She was so embarrassed! No wait! Embarrassed? Bono saw her naked in the tub! She thought about this for a moment. She could not have mistaken the look on his face. She couldn’t read his mind but the look spoke volumes. It spoke of shock and surprise but not annoyance. A warm flush crept over her but it definitely wasn’t embarrassment anymore.

Bono took a moment to compose himself. He leaned heavily against the door he just slammed. He closed his eyes to revisit the absolute vision he just experienced.

The twilight sun had bathed the bedroom in a soft glow, almost as if by candlelight. In the center of the room was a deep brass tub and in it sat Gioia, eyes closed, reveling in its steamy, soothing caress. Her moistened lips held a slight smile as if her thoughts were entertaining to her. Her wet hair curled around her ears and against her forehead, most becomingly.

Despite her initial reaction of dunking deeper, she was completely covered by the soapy water. Her shoulders had been just above the water’s level, her arms and hands beneath its’s surface. For an instant, Bono pictured that her hands were running up and down the length of her body, helping the water in its caress. That image had been his undoing, and he felt himself harden in reaction. He needed to leave the room quickly.

“Is everything alright with the room, son?” Thornton’s voice broke through his thoughts.

Bono shook his head. “My-uh--wife wanted some privacy”.

Thornton winked. “Ah – getting ready for you is she? Come. Let’s have a drink together. It’s the least I can do since I’ve frightened a few years off your life”.

A bit later, a more calm, together, and slightly intoxicated, Bono opened the door to the bedroom and slowly peeked inside. Gioia was already in bed, curled up on her side. Soft moonlight filtered through the window.

Bono crept toward the bed. He pulled his boots off. They thumped on the floor and he winced. Next came his socks and his shirt. He let them fall into a small heap on the floor. He unbuttoned his pants, all the while watching Gioia’s form. Did he want to wake her? He wasn’t sure. He left it up to the fates. He unzipped his pants. The slight sound seemed deafening in the silence.

He slipped out of his pants and stood there a moment in his underwear. What if she woke up and saw him standing there? He looked down at himself and smiled wryly at the part of his body that lacked control.

He would’ve laughed out loud if he didn’t feel slightly pathetic.
He put his hands to the waistband of his briefs with every intention of removing them. He hesitated. He pictured Gioia’s sweet face and sighed. He decided not to. Instead, he lifted the downy soft covers of the bed and slid between the cool sheets.

It never occurred to him that she might have expected him to sleep on the floor or the settee. He lay on his back, hands behind his head, staring at the ceiling. He could feel her close beside him.

His heartbeat was a bit erratic and he contemplated this for a moment. He was attracted to her. But was that it? He didn’t think so. But that didn’t matter. He couldn’t touch her. He would feel that he was taking advantage of her. He wanted to protect her. He wanted her safe. From what Thornton had told him this evening, they were going to be together for a while, in possibly perilous situations, and he needed her to trust him.

He smiled in the darkness. It was good thing she was asleep and didn’t witness his less than seductive disrobing.

“Good night, Gioia”, he whispered.

Silence.

“Goodnight, Bono”, she whispered back.

Did he detect a touch of mirth in her voice?

“Sh*t”, he breathed and turned on his side away from her and tried to sleep.

Toodles all - til tomorrow :wink:

Back
Top Bottom