In the maze of her imagination - pt 16

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sweetie

Refugee
MA - the land of every weather pattern imaginable
Happy Friday everyone!!!

This chapter is in two parts--Enjoy

Disclaimer - Fiction - Fantasy

Creide was elated. Her delight was apparent as her constant smile received her many guests’ congratulations. Many of them wanted to wish the new bridegroom well but Creide told them its best if they wait until after dinner which would be served shortly.

She didn’t know how Bono was going to react to everyone congratulating him on his pending nuptials but she had a feeling he would not be very receptive to their sentiments. She could tell by the look he had given her while he stood embracing Gioia instead of coming to stand by her side.

Reluctantly, he had left Gioia and walked up to her and kissed her hand, and then stonily kissed her cheek. She knew then that she would never have him and for a moment it enraged her. But before she could react, Andrew was there and with disrespectful familiarity he put his arm around her waist, pulled her close and planted an exuberant kiss on her cheek. He shook hands with Bono and congratulated him on his success. Despite the fact that the terms of the curse decreed that she was to wed Bono, Andrew was ecstatic that she was now free. Andrew truly cared for her. And how did she respond to him? By firmly removing his hand from her waist and glaring at him. She was such a fool.

When she had a free moment she assessed the situation in her hall. Andrew was alone and leaning with his back against the far wall with his arms crossed. She was surprised to find he was watching her intently. She felt guilty excluding him from her joy. It certainly wasn’t intentional. Well, maybe it was. She wasn’t sure how she was going to fix it, but she didn’t have the time to handle this now. She needed to be married soon lest she find herself cursed once more.

Her eyes searched out Bono. He was sitting with Gioia in a quiet corner of the room. Creide felt a pang of jealously. She knew that they would be wed only to appease the curse. Although she cared very deeply for Andrew, she knew she would be pleased if Bono would be her husband in truth as well as in name. Could he be forced? Creide knew of a way. She could send Gioia away and –and what? Keep him prisoner? She knew she could not. What could she do? Andrew had spoken to her about an idea he had. Neither of her choices held any appeal. Which would be more humiliating and hurtful? Staying trapped in a second loveless marriage or being abandoned by her new husband?

Gioia was stunned into silence. Bono held her hands as he gave her a chance to absorb the information he gave her.

He was going to marry Creide. Gioia felt as if she had been punched in the stomach. He told her about the fairy that was helping him. She had told him that even though he would need to go through with the wedding, once they returned home then the marriage would be null and void for him, but not for Creide. The terms of the curse would be satisfied and she would be considered a widow. It seemed like the perfect plan. Except. What if they never returned home? That was Gioia ’s worry, but it seemed like they had no choice. Creide was desperate and Gioia knew that she would stop at nothing to get what she wanted from Bono. But never his love, never that! Gioia would move mountains to make sure that never happened.

She nodded. “What makes you think that Creide will be open to you not being—oh how should I put this? ---the perfect husband??”

Bono frowned for a moment until he realized what she was referring to. “Creide is an intelligent woman. I will talk with her reasonably and hope that she understands where I stand on this.”

“You hope? Have you seen the way she looks at you? You are like presents on Christmas morning! I don’t know how you’re going to get out of this.”

Bono saw the serious worry on Gioia ’s face. He thought this over and couldn’t help himself. He started laughing. The entire situation seemed so dire and at the same time so ridiculous that he didn’t know what to say nor did he want to think about it anymore.

Gioia looked at him incredulously as he chuckled loudly. His hand was on his chest, eyes closed and his head thrown back as he gave in to the hilarity. She smiled slightly. She reached over and ran her hand through his hair. It was so soft and she let it glide through her fingers. Her hand lingered and she caressed his cheek.

“Are you alright?” She queried softly. She couldn’t imagine what an emotional mess he must’ve been this evening.

He stopped laughing and pressed his cheek against her warm hand. He grasped her hand with his and moved it so he could kiss her palm. He noted the concern in her eyes. Her love and warmth was what he needed now. What he needed in his life.
His tongue traced a circle on her palm.

“I want you so badly.” He uttered hoarsely, his blue eyes pleading with her.

Gioia could barely breathe. She nodded to him. Please God! There had to be a chance for them.

After dinner was completed, Creide stood to once again address her guests. Bono was sitting beside her, glumly looking at his half eaten plate.

“Thank you all for sharing this momentous occasion. Please join us”, she smiled down at Bono, “tomorrow morning when we will be wed. The ceremony will be followed by the grandest banquet my cooks can envision.” The guests applauded. Gioia felt sick.

“Are you alright?” Andrew was sitting beside her, since losing his usual spot next to Creide. He sounded like Gioia felt.

Gioia smiled at him. He must be hurting as much as she was. “Why haven’t you ever told her that you love her?”

He shrugged. He looked over at Creide who was trying to draw Bono into a conversation. “Sounds silly but I wanted to hear it from her first. Now, I may never.”

Gioia frowned. “When Bono and I are gone then you two will be free, will you not be?”

Andrew sighed. “I thought I had control. I don’t. I’ve hurt so many people for revenge. When in truth it wasn’t revenge that I wanted.”

Gioia could feel his ache. “It was Creide that you wanted.” He nodded. “But why do you feel that you cannot be together once we’re gone?”

Andrew looked away. “Creide still hasn’t agreed to letting Bono go. She has the power to keep him here.”

Gioia pursed her lips in anger. “And me? What about me?”

“You and I will return the necklace to Aine.” He didn’t have the courage to tell her that Aine would probably kill him on sight. He doubted that Creide had given any thought to that fact. He tried not to think about that. He truly didn’t know if she hadn’t considered the possibility or that she didn’t care.

Gioia looked up at Bono and their eyes met. He would not take being married against his will lightly. He told her that the only reason he was willingly going through with the charade was because he was told by the fairy, Aisling, that she would find a way to send them home. Gioia wondered what his course of action would be if he were to be told that he would remain there as Creide’s husband, indefinitely. Whatever his reaction would be, it couldn’t be good and that worried Gioia to no end.

“Andrew? Would you take me back to my room? I don’t see the need to stay here and join in the festivities when I’m feeling far from festive.”

He nodded to her and stood up.

Bono watched them both intently. He scowled angrily as he saw Gioia take Fletcher’s arm and the two of them walked out of the hall together. He hoped that Aisling would come through for them. For he doubted that he would willingly consent to remain here and remain wed to Creide. And there was no way that he would stand idly by while Andrew woo Gioia because he lost his chance with Creide. Their fates rested on Aisling and her promise to him.

Andrew walked Gioia back to her rooms in silence. At her door he put his hand on her shoulder to keep her from leaving him so quickly. She turned around and looked at him questioningly.

“Let me stay with you tonight.” He said simply. Gioia gasped and then understood that he must not realize what he was saying. He was hurting. She shook her head and smiled sadly.

“Andrew, I’m sure if you stayed it would be a night to remember. And maybe it’ll make us forget for a short time what’s going to happen tomorrow. But it’s not what either of us want.”

He nodded and exhaled. He had been holding his breath worrying what her response would be. She was beautiful and desirable. He doubted he would get any sleep tonight and making love to her would’ve been a way to lessen the ache. But she was right. He had done enough damage for one person. He leaned down and pressed his lips to hers. Gioia let him and for one brief moment she kissed him back.

He pulled away and opened his eyes hesitantly. He was greeted with her smile and that gave him comfort. He leaned in for another and Gioia put her hands up to his chest and gave him a little shove.

A dimple appeared deep in his cheek. He chuckled and backed up. “Good night, my sweet.” He turned and walked away.

She smiled. “Andrew?” He stopped but didn’t turn around. “Go to her Andrew. Go to Creide tonight.” He raised an eyebrow at her suggestion. Why the hell not? Without a word he walked away.

Gioia didn’t see the expression on his face but his merry whistling was a good sign that he was considering her suggestion. After she saw him round the corner, she turned the doorknob to her room and stepped inside. She closed the door behind her and leaned heavily against it. She looked around her room. Prisoner or guest, she never knew from day to day. After tomorrow she didn’t know what Creide would have in store for her.

From the moment she had arrived in this land with Bono, they didn’t have any plans. No direction. Even though that was true, Gioia knew that she would be going home eventually. She didn’t know how it was going to happen but they couldn’t possibly stay here very long. They didn’t belong here. And then, little by little, day-by-day, she found out their true purpose for being there. It wasn’t an accident. Bono could’ve been hurt. They were brought here without any concern at all for their welfare! So why couldn’t she find it in her to hate Andrew? Why did she have it in her to feel compassion for Creide? She could control her emotions. Right there were the two examples that proved it. Then why was her heart now breaking? Why couldn’t she control the overwhelming despair that threatened to split her in two?

A sob rose in her throat. She crumpled to the floor, wrapped her arms around her, and cried until there were no more tears left to cry.

Back
Top Bottom