In the maze of her imagination - pt 12.5

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sweetie

Refugee
MA - the land of every weather pattern imaginable
Hi there. I figured since I wouldn't be able to post again until Monday I would post another chapter. Enjoy!

disclaimer - not true!

Gioia was out on her balcony, leaning on the railing, staring into space. Oh there was plenty to look at. The sun setting beautifully over the ocean (interesting fact since just this morning she commented to herself the beauty of the sun rising over the same ocean---hmmmm), the dolphins doing flips in the water, or the pelicans flying effortlessly through the sky.

She just didn’t feel like paying attention to the picturesque splendor of the land. It had been three days since she had last seen and spoken with Bono. That first morning after their arrival was the one and only time. She was going crazy with worry. She didn’t know if he was already at work creating the poem for Creide. She had tried to get information out of Andrew but he wouldn’t budge.

Andrew, on the other hand, she had seen every day. He took her on carriage rides through the kingdom, down to the village to view the wares being sold by the local villagers, and picnics by the river. And throughout those times he refused to speak of Bono, nor of Gioia ’s situation. Also, other than that kiss he bestowed upon her in the tub, he had behaved like a perfect gentleman.

Gioia actually enjoyed his company. He told her a lot about the land and its customs. He told her how life had been here with Creide and her people and the constant talk about the curse. He also spoke of Creide. He explained how she cared for her people and all she does for them. He portrayed her as a kind, sweet woman. He knew she would never retaliate against Aine. She was stern and powerful, but she had a heart and a conscience. He was determined to help her.

Gioia unconsciously fingered the amulet. She knew it had to be returned. What she couldn’t find out is how she was supposed to return it.

She sighed. She knew less about what was in store for them than she had when they had first arrived here. She tried to summarize in her mind what she did know.

She knew that Aine had cursed Queen Creide because she was the cause of her son’s death. Only a poem of poignant meaning would release her from this enchantment. Andrew had known of Bono’s talent and told Creide that he was going to bring him to her kingdom to free her from the spell. Andrew still would not explain to Gioia how exactly he found out about Bono.

Andrew took Aine’s amulet of Leanan Sidhe, which had the power to open portals and transport. Again, Andrew would not explain how he had stolen the amulet without Aine’s knowing.

Gioia knew that only Bono was supposed to find the amulet. The plan was that he would find the Wareings cottage. They were going to tell him the story of Aine and provide him with the map to return the necklace. Andrew was to take it from him along the way to return it quickly. But when they had seen Gioia wearing the necklace, they knew that the plans had gone awry. It was too late. Once worn, Aine would be aware that the necklace had been taken.

Andrew had found the Wareings to be the perfect innocent couple for his plans. No one would suspect them of being dishonest and involved in a plot. They had been paid a hefty sum by Andrew to help him in this, so they still gave Bono and Gioia the map, sent them on their way, and divulged nothing of what they knew. For in truth, they knew nothing.

Apparently they did not want the necklace in their home, and hadn’t wanted to be involved anymore than they had to.

What bothered Gioia about Andrew were all the loopholes in his story. Such as, what would’ve been Bono’s ultimate fate if the only means to return him to his own world, the necklace, had been returned to the goddess?

With everything she knew, she still didn’t know why she was there. She didn’t know what Creide’s plans for her were. The necklace had to be returned, didn’t it? Why hadn’t Aine come after them already?

There was a knock at the door. Gioia sighed. That was Andrew, coming to take her to dinner. He had been paying a lot of attention to her the past few days. He was good looking, charming, and a flatterer, but Gioia knew another truth about him.

He was in love with Creide.

Gioia entered the Great Hall on Andrew’s arm. Tonight she was wearing a gown of rich royal blue with silver piping along the neckline and the along the hem. She still wasn’t used to wearing such clothing. Clothing that Andrew brought to her each evening. The snug bodice lifted her breasts so they nearly overflowed the dress. The necklace was cradled between her bosoms. Under the dress she was virtually naked and the sensation of the rich fabric caressing her thighs left her feeling beautiful and exotic. She also wasn’t used to the maid that came in each day to help her dress and fix up her hair with ribbons or circlet of fresh flowers.

She was being treated like a princess and she felt that it was wrong. She wasn’t supposed to be here so why was she being treated so well?

She scanned the room as she had every night, fully expecting to be disappointed again. Instead, her breath caught and her heart slammed against her chest as she locked eyes with Bono from across the room. Quite unconsciously she removed her hand from Andrew’s arm. Andrew looked down as she did this and raised his eyebrows in surprise, until he noticed what held her attention. He frowned at this and nudged her.

“Come, let’s have a seat so we can be served.”

Gioia let herself be steered toward the table near the Queen, and Bono dropped his gaze to his own plate. Gioia noticed that he was sitting alone and she wondered about that. She questioned if he was being treated as well as she.

“Of course he is, dear.” Andrew replied. “He is Creide’s hope. It would’ve been unwise of her to mistreat him or make his stay uncomfortable.”

Gioia nodded. “I suppose.” She couldn’t take her eyes off of Bono. She had missed him so. He was wearing a black tunic laced at the neckline. She smiled despite it all, picturing him picking out his clothing, requesting his trademark black.

After the meal it was customary to have some entertainment. One night there were jugglers, another night, acrobats, and another a magician, who totally bored Creide. She had witnessed natural powers that were much more impressive, and his attempts seemed pathetic.

Tonight’s entertainment was being announced and Gioia saw Bono stand up and walk toward Creide’s table to stand before it. Gioia swallowed hard when she realized that Bono was the entertainment for the night!

His expression was stony and it was difficult to discern what he was thinking or feeling. He was holding a U-shaped lyre and Gioia noticed that he was breathing heavily. He hadn’t looked in Gioia ’s direction at all. His attention was on Creide alone. Gioia swallowed hard and tried not to let her imagination get the better of her. Just because she hadn’t seen him in days did not mean that he was spending that time with Creide.

Creide smiled at him and nodded in his direction. The hall went silent and Bono began to strum the oddly shaped instrument. The stirring music filled the room.

Gioia felt the goose bumps raise on her arms as she recognized the song. He began to sing and she felt herself flush with love for him. His voice had the power to seduce and mesmerize. He had a way of combining pleas with commands and the listener becomes intoxicated by his intensity. She looked around the room and saw that everyone was spellbound by the sound of Bono’s voice and the haunting strains of his song.

See the stone set in your eyes
See the thorn twist in your side
I wait for you
Slight of hand and a twist of fate
On a bed of nails she makes me wait
And I’m waiting for you

Through the storm we reach the shore
You give it all but I want more
And I’m waiting for you

Creide didn’t realize that she was leaning forward in rapt fascination, listening to Bono weave his web of seduction with only the erotic use of his sensual voice. Her skin tingled and her heart raced. The words he was singing helped create an erotic vision in her mind. She wanted to make eye contact with him, but his eyes were scanning the room, keeping his audience captivated.

Andrew stood with his arms crossed, scowling at Bono and disgusted by Creide’s fascination with his song and interest in the man himself. Andrew glanced at all the women in the room and found them with smitten expressions upon their faces. The men were merely curious. Some were even casting glances over to Andrew to follow his reaction. Andrew ignored them and looked over to Gioia . Ah-Sweet Gioia . Her love for this man could not be disguised. The evidence was clear on her lovely face as Bono’s gaze settled on her. He was singing to her.

My hands are tied, my body is bruised
And she’s got me with nothing left to win
And nothing else to lose
With or Without you
I can’t live
With or without you
With or without you
I can’t live
With or Without you

Andrew was envious. He knew he had no chance of ever winning Gioia ’s affections, but now he wasn’t so sure he could ever have Creide’s. Not after this. Not after this proof of Bono’s talent. This was testimony that he indeed would be the one to release Creide from enchantment.

Andrew shook his head as the room erupted in applause when Bono finished his song. He needed air and walked out of the room and headed for the gardens. Once outside he took a deep breath. The song had also affected him. The rousing lyrics were accentuated by Bono’s deep and husky voice. The song had been an emotional plea, laced with lust and yearning. He could relate to the words and the underlying sentiment.

“I told you he’d be the one.”

The musical voice came from behind Andrew and he spun around. He was startled by the vision of Aisling standing calmly in the moonlight.

He groaned and turned away. “Yes. You were right. He’s perfect and he’s going to release Creide from her spell. And, as the terms of curse specifies, she will marry him. Yes, it all works out lovely doesn’t it.”

Aisling smiled in sympathy. She was well acquainted with the specifics of the curse. Along with not being able to use someone from Creide’s own kingdom and not being able to invite someone specifically to help release her, she was bound to either kill the one who failed or marry the one that did not. So it was not difficult to understand why after fifteen years no one has come forth of his own accord to help Creide.

Aisling touched his arm and he turned to look at her. Her large violet eyes instantly mesmerized him. She lightly placed a kiss on his lips. He smiled and reached for her but she pulled away with a giggle.

“Don’t worry Andrew. I did not bring him here to wed Queen Creide.”

Andrew frowned in confusion. “You didn’t bring him? I understand that you found him and suggested him, but bringing him was my idea.”

Aisling laughed nervously. “Yes, yes, of course that’s what I meant.”

Andrew shook his head. “No. I don’t believe that’s what you meant, Aisling. You said that it was not your intention for him to marry Creide. What do you mean by that? Do you have other plans for him? Is that why you helped me?”

Aisling pressed her fingers to his lips. “I wanted to help you Andrew. You’ve been wronged and you’re in pain. Queen Creide is a good woman and you deserve to be with each other. I will do everything I can to make sure of that. Bono will not marry her. I will arrange it.”

Andrew didn’t know what to make of her declaration. He didn’t know what her true intentions were. She was a powerful fairy but he didn’t think that she was malicious. But before he could question her further she vanished.

Have a nice weekend everyone! :wave:

Wonderful description of Bono singing 'With or without you' :drool: OH SO SENSUAL!!!!!!!!

It'll be a terribly long wait to see what happens AAAHH!!!! :hyper:

omg....I just got goosebumps myself when I got to the part where he was about to sing because I have my cd on and With or Without You just came on. I'm freaked out!

This is a great story!

man oh man...it was so great I couldn't even type right. I had to keep starting over.

can't wait till monday!!!

Thank you for two updates in one day. They are both wonderful!!! I can't wait for Monday either.

I just got to read both of your chapters--what a romantic story. I just know they are going to get back together. Bono singing :drool:

Back
Top Bottom