I Will climb the highest mountain

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WildHoney

Blue Crack Distributor
A REAL Life PLEBAn and proud of it....YES we are R
Ascend it like Beckham - an article from The Sun newspaper today

DAVID BECKHAM could scale dizzy new heights – by trekking up a MOUNTAIN.

The 33-year-old soccer hero has been asked to join showbiz mate Bono on an expedition up Africa’s highest peak Kilimanjaro.

Despite a busy schedule Becks is “absolutely set” on making the climb after campaigning U2 frontman BONO asked him to help raise funds for children’s charity Unicef.

A source said the ascent of the 19,340ft snow-capped peak was “outside of Becks’ normal comfort zone” – but he was determined to do it.

The source added: “He was a bit uncertain at first but he found out, like many celebrities before him, that Bono can be very persuasive.

“No date has been set as yet because David is very busy with his LA Galaxy commitments.

“There is also the insurance situation to iron out but he is absolutely set on doing it.”

The trek up Kilimanjaro, a volcanic peak in northeast Tanzania, will take six tough days.

Bono, 48, and ex-Man Utd hero Becks could also be joined on the trip by West Ham ’keeper ROBERT GREEN.

Becks is developing a role as a charity figurehead after going to Sierra Leone as a Unicef ambassador in January.

He also helped Bono during Live 8 in 2005, when he took to the stage to introduce Robbie Williams.

Crusader Bono is also involved in his own charity Red, which encourages people to buy gadgets such as iPods with some of the profit going to fighting Aids

Link To Article here

:lol:

Bono wants to climb the Kilimanjaro.

No wonder he's starting to look fitter, he must do a lot of workout for that.

I believe it when I see it.

Actually, this might help to explain a quote in U2 by U2 that has always intrigued me:

Larry (talking about Bono):

He's got an insatiable appetite for adventure and he will do almost anything and go anywhere to satisfy that.

I wish he had given some examples. Maybe this is one.

(On the other hand, it is The Sun, so who knows?) :shrug:

saw this article today.. and had to read it twice to believe it.. Still not so sure.. but hey Bono go for it! wonder if there is an elevator he can take just in case.. :giggle:

sue4u2 said:
Wonders how many mountain climbing paparazzi will try to follow..:lol:

LOL, loved that mental picture!!!

Actually, I've been on the road up Mt. Kili. and it's really neat, just one small road going up to the "base" which is a nice place for a picnic and some hiking. We got dropped off and then walked down the mountain from there (did not do the climb up obviously, I am NOT fit for mt. climbing!). It's very beautiful scenery, people living and farming on the mountain as usual, not a giant tourist trap like the US parks have become. You cannot see the top of the mountain while you are on the mountain b/c it pokes into the clouds. That was probably one of my favorite days ever, just walking down that mountain with no city traffic...

sue4u2 said:
Wonders how many mountain climbing paparazzi will try to follow..:lol:

Helicopters will be buzzing the peak.

I'm still not buying this one. I could see them driving up to base camp, but you need to train, really train, for months to cilmb a mountain like this. I just saw the documentary on PBS about Mount Everest and it was scary.

silvrlvr said:

Helicopters will be buzzing the peak.

I'm still not buying this one. I could see them driving up to base camp, but you need to train, really train, for months to cilmb a mountain like this. I just saw the documentary on PBS about Mount Everest and it was scary.

Exactly.
And while Bono's been looking a little bit more fit than he has in the past few months, he's nowhere near "climbing a mountain" fit.

A friend of mine climbed Kilimanjaro a few years ago. It's not a dangerous or technical climb, just a long one. And even the fittest people can struggle in their brains as the altitude gets higher. This is a climb that Bono could do with proper fitness training. The story seems outlandish to me, but he could do it if he wanted to. And the article gives no timetable (or sources :) so who knows -

cg said:
A friend of mine climbed Kilimanjaro a few years ago. It's not a dangerous or technical climb, just a long one. And even the fittest people can struggle in their brains as the altitude gets higher. This is a climb that Bono could do with proper fitness training. The story seems outlandish to me, but he could do it if he wanted to. And the article gives no timetable (or sources :) so who knows -

True, and I believe the lesser peak is actually more difficult b/c it's steeper and more jagged.

I'm not counting on this either though. Gotta love the Sun...

Why does he always go to Tanzania when I'm not there or not able to see him?????????????????????????????????

:banghead: x 84378435734857328493`

I wonder if he can handle it though... it gets harder to breathe the further up you go, the oxygen decreases and you get headaches... Also need to be extremely fit to go all the way.

Babydoll said:
Why does he always go to Tanzania when I'm not there or not able to see him?????????????????????????????????

:banghead: x 84378435734857328493`

Up for some moutain climbing?

I am so freaked out right now becuase I had a dream a couple of weeks ago about U2 climbing a mountain. It was the whole band, though. :slant:

Back
Top Bottom