I trust you guys to make up my mind...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BluRmGrl

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
I used to write a lot in high school... I enjoyed it and my reviews were pretty good. :) Haven't done it in a lonnnnnnnng time, but I came up with what I feel is a pretty good premise for a fanfic the other day. I've got a general overview of the story, some character development, etc., already worked out in my head. So it's more than just an idea - I've done a little work on it.

Actually, I have two pages typed out so far & like the way it's progressing, but I've developed what I call a "confidence cramp". One of those 'If nobody's going to be interested, why am I even wasting my time?' sort of thing. :huh:

So here's my question for you FanFic readers - keeping in mind no one's going to see a WORD of this until (if) I finish it. Would you be interested in a fanfic that A) is being written by an absolute novice; B) maintains a completely platonic relationship between the main character and the band; and, C) pretty much keeps known facts about the band (their wives, kids, personalities, etc. etc.) in place? In other words, this won't be a steamy fantasy, :lol: - would you still care to read it?

I'll judge whether I continue or not based on the quantity and content of the replies that I get. And thanks in advance for your honesty!! :heart:

Blu

Yeah, sure! :) It could be great fun. Never stop writing something because other people might find it boring.

:wink: Of course, I'd read it!!! Like someone have wrote before, if you love what you've wrote you shouldn't care about what other people are thinking...if it's not good reviews!!!!

Good luck!
I'm sure it'll be good!!!

Yeah, I'd read it, it sounds good...anf truthful :wink:

Good luck with writing it :up:

I have to plug my fanfic 'cos i dont get many comments made :lol:

It started with a dance parts 1-4 on the forum now :wink:

Most definately. I prefer to read a good story that's not just all sex anyway. A good plot, realistic characters and a tiny bit of giggles thrown in for good measure is wot I like to look at. I hafta admit I get bored with the usual 'lets go to bed' stuff. I like to read about a character whom I can identify with, someone with soul, guts but who has issues with their own personality.

Ok, I'm rambling.

Back to my own drawing board.:D

So, yeah, go for it. (and yeah, I liked to write in school a lot. Spent all my free time scratching away at wrinkled paper and even when I left I'd have a note pad stashed away in my job so I could 'write' when things were quiet. I guess once it's in the soul it ain't going to go away).. I'm rambling again aren't I...ack...

youvedonewhat said:
Most definately. I prefer to read a good story that's not just all sex anyway. A good plot, realistic characters and a tiny bit of giggles thrown in for good measure is wot I like to look at. I hafta admit I get bored with the usual 'lets go to bed' stuff. I like to read about a character whom I can identify with, someone with soul, guts but who has issues with their own personality.

Ok, I'm rambling.

Back to my own drawing board.:D

So, yeah, go for it. (and yeah, I liked to write in school a lot. Spent all my free time scratching away at wrinkled paper and even when I left I'd have a note pad stashed away in my job so I could 'write' when things were quiet. I guess once it's in the soul it ain't going to go away).. I'm rambling again aren't I...ack...

Had any luck with drawers yet YDW?

youvedonewhat said:
Yep. Eleven pages and counting...:drool: :drool: :drool:

And in celebration of THAT glorious fact, :dance: I'll get back to writing tonight. I'll let you guys know how it's coming along over the next few days. :yes: :hyper:

Go for it, Blu. You never know what may happen ... :wink:

(by the way, I worked on chapter 8 of Story Without Me earlier tonight. I have no idea when I'll post it, but I worked on it.)

:heart: Thanks for all the encouragement, guys! I've been pegging away on the story during down times at work - which is very frustrating! Just about the time the words start rolling really well, I get interrupted by my paying gig. Man, it sucks to have to work for a living! :D

Anyway, I've got several pages typed AND SAVED already. I just keep worrying that it's too wordy or too slow (it'll be 4 or 5 pages in before the band ever makes an appearance! :yikes: ) I'm not going to share any of it 'til the whole thing's finished, though, so all I know to do at this point is just keep typing. Heck, even YDW's 'So Bono was in my Drawers" (which isn't finished yet) is already over 200 pages! The hard part for me is going to be figuring out how to break the story down into sections so it can be posted here.

But that's worrying about problems that I don't have yet, so I'm going to let it go. I'll just focus on all the support you've given me and get on with the story! :yes:

BluRmGrl said:
:heart: Thanks for all the encouragement, guys! I've been pegging away on the story during down times at work - which is very frustrating! Just about the time the words start rolling really well, I get interrupted by my paying gig. Man, it sucks to have to work for a living! :D

Anyway, I've got several pages typed AND SAVED already. I just keep worrying that it's too wordy or too slow (it'll be 4 or 5 pages in before the band ever makes an appearance! :yikes: ) I'm not going to share any of it 'til the whole thing's finished, though, so all I know to do at this point is just keep typing. Heck, even YDW's 'So Bono was in my Drawers" (which isn't finished yet) is already over 200 pages! The hard part for me is going to be figuring out how to break the story down into sections so it can be posted here.

But that's worrying about problems that I don't have yet, so I'm going to let it go. I'll just focus on all the support you've given me and get on with the story! :yes:

When I first began the Diary of the Downcast, it was about 8, maybe 9 pages before Edge or Bono made their first appearence and my paragraphs were much longer in those days to the ones I do now. If I were to write it again now, I'd probably be looking at around 12 pages before the delicious B showed his fine mug.

Sometimes it's nice to build up the central character first before bringing in 'the heros', or whatever so the reader can get a 'feel' for who that character is.

Regarding where to leave off for each instalment will come naturally. You have to decide if you want each peice to be left as a 'cliffhanger' or a little mini story in itself. Me, I prefer the cliff hanger. Besides, a little trade secret here: Sometimes it's easier to finish half way through a scene because (a) it gives the reader something to wait for
:rant: and (b) :scratch: it gives you the chance to give it some more thought.

I dunno if this makes any sense?:confused:

:laugh: It makes perfect sense. And thanks for the help... your writing in particular is what made me want to start back up. You do such a great job of making Mia AND the predicaments she gets into so believable. I think that's what I like the best about your writing... to me, it comes across as completely plausible. :yes:

I continue to work on my story daily - maybe I'll name it soon, :lol: - and so far, it's coming along nicely. I'm just going to let the thing flow, even if turns into a 1000 pages! :laugh:

BluRmGrl said:
:laugh: It makes perfect sense. And thanks for the help... your writing in particular is what made me want to start back up. You do such a great job of making Mia AND the predicaments she gets into so believable. I think that's what I like the best about your writing... to me, it comes across as completely plausible. :yes:

I continue to work on my story daily - maybe I'll name it soon, :lol: - and so far, it's coming along nicely. I'm just going to let the thing flow, even if turns into a 1000 pages! :laugh:

Go for it..lookin' forward to reading it.:)

Back
Top Bottom