I think my mom is on to my "obsession"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JessicaAnn

ONE love, blood, life
Yesterday I picked up the U2 calendar. I was looking at all of the lovely pics when I got home. My mom asked to see it. Here's our conversation ...

MOM: So, how old are these guys.
ME: 40 or 41.
MOM: Ok.
DAD: So who is the oldest?
ME: I think that's Adam. The yougest just turned 40 in October. It's more than the pictures mom ... the calendar doesn't play their songs.
MOM: Riiiiiiight. So how long have they been around?
ME: Their first album came out about 20 years ago.
MOM: Ok. Really ... that long. I must be out of touch.
ME: You know I could be interested in a lot more weird and bizarre things.
MOM: Whatever. *hands me back my calendar*

Everytime I record a program from tv, she makes some comment like "Oh, is U2 going to be on." Or I buy a new cd, she is shocked to discover that it isn't U2.

My mom officially thinks I am weird and perhaps is concerned about my obsession. I know that most of you probably go through the same thing, but I am 24 years old and my mom can't get over the fact that people my age can still enjoy rock & rolllike when we were younger AND be normal well adjusted adults.

------------------
Jessica

"I turn slightly and catch Bono with half a Perrier bottle in his mouth. He's sucking the thing in such a manner it would put Madonna to shame!"

"I'm very secure with the fact that I'm not black. I'm white, pink and rosy. But I've got soul."
--Bono

?We make music you can have sex to.?
--Bono

"Girls boys listen me kiss love fun drink sick kiss cuddle sex swim sea rock and rub." (from the gates of Bono's house)

[This message has been edited by JessicaAnn (edited 12-12-2001).]

Originally posted by JessicaAnn:
Yesterday I picked up the U2 calendar. I was looking at all of the lovely pics when I got home. My mom asked to see it. Here's our conversation ...

MOM: So, how old are these guys.
ME: 40 or 41.
MOM: Ok.
DAD: So who is the oldest?
ME: I think that's Adam. The yougest just turned 40 in October. It's more than the pictures mom ... the calendar doesn't play their songs.
MOM: Riiiiiiight. So how long have they been around?
ME: Their first album came out about 20 years ago.
MOM: Ok. Really ... that long. I must be out of touch.
ME: You know I could be interested in a lot more weird and bizarre things.
MOM: Whatever. *hands me back my calendar*

My mom officially thinks I am weird and perhaps is concerned about my obsession.

and well she should be....with all of us to feed your bad habits....but you can tell your mom...at least your not as bad as Elisabeth
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
Elisabeth I'm just kidding..but you do frighten me a little
wink.gif

LOL....tell your Mom it's all gonna be O.K.
wink.gif

[This message has been edited by browneyedgirl (edited 12-12-2001).]

Well, My Mom is 'older', and when I showed her the calendar, she joined me in 'drooling' over the pics!

The only one she doesn't think is 'hot' is Adam-oops, sorry Sparky gals.
wink.gif

She's even been to several shows w/ me, including one Elevation show.
smile.gif

------------------
If you are really good friends with The Edge, you can just call him The~ Adam

The right side of my brain is kinda redundant~ Larry

My mom is 46, but let's just say she's not the hippest person when it comes to pop culture.

She did admit to thinking Larry was cute a while ago
eek.gif
That was actually a pretty funny moment. It was just after the Elevation concer in my town on May 9. Some DJs on the radio were saying something about Bono being ugly and I said something like, "Well he's not conventionally good looking like a model. He is actually just very normal looking ... which can be very appealing." So my mom asked to see a pic of the boys. I showed her the tour program. She asked who each of them were. She said "That Larry guy is pertty cute." LMAO.

I guess Larry has my mom's seal of approval.

------------------
Jessica

"I turn slightly and catch Bono with half a Perrier bottle in his mouth. He's sucking the thing in such a manner it would put Madonna to shame!"

"I'm very secure with the fact that I'm not black. I'm white, pink and rosy. But I've got soul."
--Bono

?We make music you can have sex to.?
--Bono

"Girls boys listen me kiss love fun drink sick kiss cuddle sex swim sea rock and rub." (from the gates of Bono's house)

[This message has been edited by JessicaAnn (edited 12-12-2001).]

that's really funny, because my mom is actually supportive of this obessession of mine. she hasn't been quite this good about the others...she stopped making the comments like "aren't you a bit old to be obsessed with rockstars" back when i was 16 LOL. she's just accepted that i have an obsessive personality. but i think she sees u2 as being a normal rock group, so...she doesn't mind. i'm away at school so she doesn't quite know the extent of the obsession, but over thanksgiving i had to tape leno and the elevation vh1 thing, and she had already caught on...
me: *puts tape in vcr*
mom: oh is u2 on?
me: yes

she even bought me the dvd for xmas, and we went to the book store and i was like "ooh, a u2 calender. mom look, u2 has a calendar. yah its right here on the shelf. it's really cool. yeah they have a few left, RIGHT HERE on the shelf." LOL

------------------
~sara
sle2@geneseo.edu
http://www.platinumcomplication.com

i'd sell my soul, my self esteem a dollar at a time, for one chance, one kiss, one taste of you...
"The Fly has to be the Fly!"

Stop stop girls! All this MOM talk is making me feel old! I'm thirtysomething and have kids! What a shame a woman 46 is not into pop culture. I thought everyone 30-50 were pop culture experts because of the time we grew up in. Probably over half U2's fan base is in their 30's and 40's. Not like this is a kiddie band. I was actually surprised to see how many young fans there are here. Thumbs up to you all for having good taste in music much of your generation lacks!(Sorry but you know it's true!)

LOL...Well my mom and dad have come to accept my obsession because well...they're surrounded by U2 in my house. My mom thinks Larry doesn't look a day over 25 and calls him her "Son-in-law".

My aunt thinks Bono's cute. She came last week from mexico and I showed her my Bono pic from when I met them in Austin and she was drooling all over it...I was like "hey no drooling on my pics" LOL
biggrin.gif
My mom's 53 and my Aunt is 51 I think...but they're really kewl. They'll sing along to U2. LOL It's funny

------------------
The U2 revolution has been reinstated.

THE Larry Mullen Jr. Page
http://www.geocities.com/kiti_regia/index.html

Meeting Larry:
*MG shows Larry poster*
*Larry reads poster*
*Larry smiles and says "Thank you that's very nice of you"*
*Larry signs paper, shakes MG's hand*
*MG almost dies then sees tearaway pants and gets bad ideas*

Originally posted by JessicaAnn:
My mom officially thinks I am weird and perhaps is concerned about my obsession. I know that most of you probably go through the same thing, but I am 24 years old and my mom can't get over the fact that people my age can still enjoy rock & rolllike when we were younger AND be normal well adjusted adults.

LOL give your Mom my email address. I'm probably her age and am at least as bad as you are.
biggrin.gif

------------------
She's gonna dream up a world she wants to live in / She's gonna dream out loud.
Visit my web page at www.u2page.com

You're right Crzy! Jessica I'm sorry but your Mom is an old fuddy-duddy. Once again I'm surprised someone who grew up with rock music has that attitude. I mean she's not from the 1930s what's the deal? I still enjoy rock like I always have and will continue to rock until the day they put me away. One song my kids will never identify with: "Your Mama Don't Dance and Your Daddy Don't Rock and Roll!" Fortunately most people I know are cool and still rock hard. We always will!
smile.gif

My mother has always been supportive of my u2 love!!!Once ,years ago,I had a few friends over and "Two hearts beat as one" was on MTV(must have been 1983 or so)and my mom came into the room saw Bono onscreen and said (no kidding here)what a cutie!!!!!!My friend thought my mom was so cool after that!!!LOL

im lucky in that i have a u2 loving family. my mom and dad saw them in 1982 with the j geils band(my dad doesnt remember but i took him to the san diego show). my mom likes to tease me about it but she is fond of telling me how sexy bono is everytime the conversation turns to him.

alison

------------------
It doesn't matter what songs we sing. I'm a drummer. Chicks dig me. - Larry

Still my favorite Mom story:

MOM: *is watching Elevation video with me* *sees Edge* OOO who's THAT? Richard GERE?!

MONA: Em...no....

MOM: The clothes are done! *runs to laundry room* *comes back* So....is this...NSync or the backstreet boys, then?

MONA: *Falls off sofa*

MOM: WHAT?

------------------
~*Mona*~ 97% compatible with Bono
Love me, give me soul.

A little less circuitry,
a little more poetry.

"For the good of the nation, you must defile Bono!" ~Echo~

The Latin Americans have the sexy end[of Catholicism]~BonoBaby~

7:00pm Bono plays Tetris on Powerbook instead of writing lyrics.

Well I sure am lucky then! My parents and aunts are cool! They got me hooked on U2 at a very early age. I recall Live Aid when I was only 3. I come from a very cool rock and roll family!
smile.gif

------------------
~Just as you find me, always I will be, a little bit too free, with myself~

Thanks the good Lord above for my parents. they're the ones who made me U2 fans!

And my Mom has a thing for Larry too (but my Mom is also only 35)..... she sits through every U2 video saying "when are they gonna show Larry again?!"
My fave U2 moment w/ her was watching Stuck in a Moment

Mom: Wow, I've never seen Larry so animated in a video before!

But she doesn't approve of me going to PLEBA.....
frown.gif

------------------
*~*?*~*~ Katie ~*~*?*~*

I wonder what's gonna happen to you
You wonder what has happened to me

You mean...there is a person...nay PEOPLE...who haven't heard...goodness I can't even bring myself to think it let alone type it..of U2?!!!
I don't feel too well...maybe I should just sit down, read my new SPIN magazine, pop in a little POP while wearing my homemade t-shirt of Adam in drag smoking and not think of that...

------------------
Go lightly down your darkened way.

*patient sigh*

just show her the pants. that will clear everything up.

problem solved.

*nod and a wink*

[This message has been edited by elizabeth (edited 12-12-2001).]

Originally posted by wildhoney22:

Mom: Wow, I've never seen Larry so animated in a video before!

But she doesn't approve of me going to PLEBA.....
frown.gif

lol!!!!!! *Larry lust*

------------------
Love me, give me soul.

A little less circuitry,
a little more poetry.

I must be doing SOMETHING right with my mommy, cause we were in the car yesterday, and we were listening to the Best of cd and I saw her singing along to "Sunday Bloody Sunday"

Me: 'Mommy, do you want me to make you a Bono CD?'

Mommy: 'I would like all of them...'

Me: 'OOh...MOMMY you also want Edge, Adam and Larry? This is a very proud day for me!'

She tells me that I need help with my obession. I look at her like she doesn't know what she is talking about. Ma is a Larry fan I think. She saw a picture and pointed at Larry and said, "WHO IS THAT!?!" hehe!

------------------
Dana

"I simulate love making by beating a piece of wood with a metal wire on which it vibrates."
-Adam, when asked, 'If a martian landed and was introduced to you and asked what you do, what would you say?'

IM me: ghettopoptart83

My mom asks me if Larry is "THAT GUY from that space man movie" meaning Kevin Bacon in Apollo 13. Ew!

------------------
Love me, give me soul.

A little less circuitry,
a little more poetry.

Originally posted by WildHonee:

lol!!!!!! *Larry lust*

Yeah, she's got it bad.......
biggrin.gif

I can't see the Larry/Kevin Bacon thing though...... *imagines Larry dancing like Kevin in "Footloose"*
biggrin.gif

------------------
*~*?*~*~ Katie ~*~*?*~*

Yeah, she's got it bad.......
biggrin.gif

I can't see the Larry/Kevin Bacon thing though...... *imagines Larry dancing like Kevin in "Footloose"*
biggrin.gif
LMAO!!!!!!! I JUST SNORTED PUDDING UP MY BRAIN!!!!!!!!

------------------
Love me, give me soul.

A little less circuitry,
a little more poetry.

LMAO!!!!! Um.... what flavor?
biggrin.gif

Chocolate.

lmao WHY DO I EAT IN PLEBA!!!!!!!!!!!!???????!!!!!!

------------------
Love me, give me soul.

A little less circuitry,
a little more poetry.

Originally posted by WildHonee:

I don't know..... I think snorting all that food up your brain could do some damage! Imagine brain surgery!

Surgeon: Okay, we have Kool-Aid, Butterfinger, what is that?! Chocolate pudding?
biggrin.gif

------------------
*~*?*~*~ Katie ~*~*?*~*

[This message has been edited by wildhoney22 (edited 12-12-2001).]

I don't know..... I think snorting all that food up your brain could do some damage! Imagine brain surgery!

Surgeon: Okay, we have Kool-Aid, Butterfinger, what is that?! Chocolate pudding?
biggrin.gif

oooo where are those pics of Dr. Edge? HOO-AH lol

------------------
Love me, give me soul.

A little less circuitry,
a little more poetry.

Eat what exactly?
wink.gif
HOO-AH!!!! I'm a bad girl
biggrin.gif

------------------
The U2 revolution has been reinstated.

THE Larry Mullen Jr. Page
http://www.geocities.com/kiti_regia/index.html

Meeting Larry:
*MG shows Larry poster*
*Larry reads poster*
*Larry smiles and says "Thank you that's very nice of you"*
*Larry signs paper, shakes MG's hand*
*MG almost dies then sees tearaway pants and gets bad ideas*

Hey! My mom LOVES U2. She has a major thing for Bono. She totally cracks me up! She is the one who got me into U2 in the first place and we can still enjoy them together! By the way you guys are hilarious! I always laugh so hard whenever I come here! Jen
smile.gif

Back
Top Bottom