I need a hug *meep*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bajagirl

The Fly
So i went to my meeting with my dissertation advisor and he told me that:

#1 My research is WRONG

#2 If I continue on this line he will NOT SIGN MY THESIS :ohmy:

Now, the thing is i have already worked for 3 years on this and HE OKd it :mad: :mad: , and now since his interests are shifting (and he wants to get some more cheap labor out of me) he wants me to start over. This means another 4-5 years.

Sorry, i cant do that. Im 30 yrs old (Hears gasps from all of you) and I need to get on with my life, and staying here for 4 more years is NOT part of the plan.

So the decision is to either start over or quit school and not get my degree.

*wails*

(sorry, had to get it off my chest *takes deep breath*)

Is there an academic committee or a Chair that you can appeal to? How major a change is he suggesting? Why would this take 4 or 5 more years? What's the nature of the research?
Sorry for all the questions; I'm intrigued by your situation. (I'm an academic.)

biff said:
Is there an academic committee or a Chair that you can appeal to? How major a change is he suggesting? Why would this take 4 or 5 more years? What's the nature of the research?
Sorry for all the questions; I'm intrigued by your situation. (I'm an academic.)

Well the problem is he is the head of the department. He wants me to change the scale and focus of the research, which entails setting up a whole new sampling net in order to get the data (which is what i was working on for the last 3 yrs), so that implies at least 18 months of sampling, plus writing. Also, the scale he wants is over 100 times the original study area.

Right now im in the middle of finishing the proposal and he wont even read it, he wants me to change it to incorporate his new ideas so thats going to take another 3 months.

They've done it before to other students, one guy took 9 yrs, another 7 yrs to finish their PhD's b/c they made them change their topics halfway.one b/c someonelse published somehting similar and another cause their grant was used up so he had to chuck his stuff and restart.

Any advice would be apprecciated. Im a lot calmer now, and have set up a meeting for today with them to see if we can work it out. I had set up one for yesterday but my advisor didnt show up for it, so hopfully he will show for this one. Will keep you posted.

While I'm basically a good writer, I could never get papers right when there were so many rules, I'd always do something wrong :scream: Good luck!

Your advisor is treating you with a terrible lack of respect. You actually had an appointment booked, and he didn't show up? That's disgraceful. And he won't even read your proposal?
Do you have an ombud on campus you can speak to? You could sound him/her out on how to respond to this unprofessional and arrogant behaviour, and whether a complaint can/should be lodged. I'd go to the ombud and ask for advice on this.
Whatever happens, good luck with your dissertation!

wow, bajagirl, that totally blows. i'm a recovering professional student myself, so i can understand your frustration. it sounds like your advisor is being unreasonable and unprofessional. hope you can get this worked out. hang in there and keep us posted.

ps: ditto biff's last post

Last edited:
Bajagirl said:

Well the problem is he is the head of the department. He wants me to change the scale and focus of the research, which entails setting up a whole new sampling net in order to get the data (which is what i was working on for the last 3 yrs), so that implies at least 18 months of sampling, plus writing. Also, the scale he wants is over 100 times the original study area.

Right now im in the middle of finishing the proposal and he wont even read it, he wants me to change it to incorporate his new ideas so thats going to take another 3 months.

They've done it before to other students, one guy took 9 yrs, another 7 yrs to finish their PhD's b/c they made them change their topics halfway.one b/c someonelse published somehting similar and another cause their grant was used up so he had to chuck his stuff and restart.

Any advice would be apprecciated. Im a lot calmer now, and have set up a meeting for today with them to see if we can work it out. I had set up one for yesterday but my advisor didnt show up for it, so hopfully he will show for this one. Will keep you posted.

The man answers to someone. Find out who and set up a meeting. Bring anything your advisor signed off on or okayed.

That blows hardcore. I would fight it if I were you. Hopefully your meeting went well.

:hug:

I don't even know what to say, this isn't right. :mad: :madspit: :censored:

Hope you get some resolution. This guy sounds like a real creep. :mad: I'm your age ;) and about to finish my second degree. I can't imagine being told to start all over at the point... *angry emoticons*

Thank you all for your support, I really apprecciated it.

I had my meeting with him and my co-advisor, and basically my co-advisor changed his position from yesterday when I met with him (agreeed with me) to agreeing with the boss today.

I understand he didnt want to get into problems with the boss, so instead of getting combative with them, i tried to rescue the most I could of the situation.

So, I managed to argue and got to the point where we could find a common ground (i.e. none of us was happy). I get to keep the same line of research, but i do have to change the scale, but i wont have to do more sampling (my biggest worry).

Yes, its probaly gonna add another year to the time im stuck here, but it will be less than what he had planned for me.

As for complaining, wont do any good, last summer several of the grad students got together and compalined to the head of the department and college and the complaint was forwarded to the dean.

The deans response was : You shouldnt complain, he and his poeple get to do whatever they want. (We figure its because he is the one that brings the most money into the department, ah the glory of politics in academia).

Besides, I think i should cut my losses and save it in case a need it for a bigger fight. Yes, im being a wimp. I admit it.

.Biff: thank you for the advice, yeah he does stuff like that all the time *shrugs* I am wriitng everything down jsut in case i need to have documentation in the future. Sadly, he did have a valid point in some things he said, the communication style was what pissed me off( and his little comment of not signing :grrr: ) I really dont like being told my research and ideas are stupid, none of us do.

Will keep you posted

Last edited:
Cutting your losses is not being a wimp. :) I'm sure you know what you can handle. Sounds like maybe the best thing you can do is just that, cut your losses and finish as fast as you can.

It sounds like you did pretty well to me, it must have been hard not to just go in and blow up or cry and just make it worse. :hug:

Stick it to 'em! Compromise is a good thing, I'm glad y'all were able to work out what you could. while i'm not even in college yet my dad has taught at several graduate schools and he would work with the student to make the process as painless as possible, not as painful as possible. you'll work it out! :hug:

Back
Top Bottom