I knew there was something I had to do... fünf

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kristie said:

Apparently it should be higher than 100Hz to (help) avoid such seizures. It's the same problem when kids who watch pokemon have seizures.

100 Hz? Good Lord, I've never had/worked with a CRT that even went above 75. At work, I try to keep them at 75 (highest), but sometimes they start buzzing. It's this extremely high pitched noise that's excrutiating and we end up having to set them back down to 60. But then the CRT looks like it's possessed. I can't believe there are people on campus who get two LCDs b/c they think their desktop just isn't big enough while I work for the friggin HelpDesk and all I get is a 15" shitastic CRT. These days I've been bringing my own laptop to work and using that in protest of the HelpDesk somehow getting stuck with the most buggy and outdated equipment. :rolleyes:

ooo, baby... congrats!

my cousin's pregnant too, but that's not a yay situation

I saw a couple websites that recommended at least 70Hz for monitors, so 100 might be on the high end.

The one I'm on now only goes up to 75 too... my monitor at home tends to flicker sometimes, I wonder if changing the refresh rate would help that. :hmm:

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

100 Hz? Good Lord, I've never had/worked with a CRT that even went above 75. At work, I try to keep them at 75 (highest), but sometimes they start buzzing. It's this extremely high pitched noise that's excrutiating and we end up having to set them back down to 60.

I just ran across the answer to why this happens... I think I'm on some kind of "Problems with your monitor!" page.
makes faint high-pitched noise
Yes, really. CRTs make some people want to climb the walls. My mom can hear them just fine. The noise comes from the horizontal refresh. As the magnets bend the electron bean (at 15 kHz for example - it varies), they also vibrate. Humans sense vibrations as sound, so there you go.

this also explains why I can hear TVs and the anti-theft devices at the library
though if I go to many more U2 concerts without earplugs pretty soon I won't be able to hear ANYTHING

Hmgfpf! My main harddrive crashed down, the guy told me I have to change the disc card or something if I want the datas back, but I won't complain because:
1. it was just a harddrive
2. I have the datas (almost all my concerts!) from my 2nd harddrive put on an external one (new one! :D)
3. I don't have time, my exams start on Monday and I didn't understand a single page from this stupid Gaddis book!!

Apart from that, I have to reinstall everything on da machine, learn using Mozilla (much more easier than IE!!), send a few CVs around cause summer is coming closer (yay!).
Have to work on my exams as well, but already seen Ep III (twice lol) and rewatched the old ones *again*....

Oh yeah, also spent a week-end on the Riviera with some friends for my birthday, we went to Cannes (it was the last day of the Festival, insanely crowded) and to St Tropez, very cool!

All of that to say I'm glad to be back here!!:wink:

Yes I did know that!

Did you all also know that Russell Crowe + Jon Stewart = hilarity?

Russell Crowe should do books on tape. Of all my books for next semester. Really. I could pay him. In Mountain Dew.

hippy said:
:wave: Welcome back Advah :D

And I wish I could have YOUR vacation :D

Thanks! :) And you guys (ladies?) will get pics asa I have them!:wink:

Never read T.S. Eliot poems. Added to my summer readings list!

I wish I was in the Riveria right now :sigh:

Sometimes, I hate my job. They don't pay me enough to referee stupid arguements between senior citizens about who gets which pool table. I just don't care. I could have been a kindergarten teacher if this was going to be my job. They make more money and get the summers off :madspit:

kellyahern said:
I wish I was in the Riveria right now :sigh:

Sometimes, I hate my job. They don't pay me enough to referee stupid arguements between senior citizens about who gets which pool table. I just don't care. I could have been a kindergarten teacher if this was going to be my job. They make more money and get the summers off :madspit:

:hug:

We still have to take classes in the summer if we want to move on the ol' pay scale.:|

I have hives
I have no idea why
but they appeared ALL OVER the night before last
:sad:

and I want advah's vacation too, mine will consist of few days in Dallas. Yee-haw!

Well I get the nice vacations, but you guys get multiple U2 concerts. I had to wait for all those years before going to a concert.:(

Nice question though: would I switch my vacations for a U2 concert?:hmm:

Can't find to have the pics!!:hyper:

Sorry to hear about the hives as well Kristie..:huh:

I'd pick vacation, especially one in the Riviera or similar. :reject:

Once I got really bad hives from laundry deterget. Which was great cause like...all my clothes had been washed in it and stuff...
Anyway, I hope you feel better Kristie!

In other news, I had a dream last night in which I spoke with a British accent the entire time... :huh:
Also, I think Colin Firth was in it. :hyper:

Hmm it's getting more difficult: what to choose between nice vacation, U2 concert or Colin Firth/hottie guy dream??:uhoh:

:lol: at the British accent though!

I actually do get allergic reactions from laundry detergent, but I haven't switched them or anything and I know the stuff I use is generally ok for me.

and I STILL have hives.
I got some antihistamine cream to put on them, and it helps a little, but they're still getting worse and I can't figure out WHY because all I do is sit in my apartment!

boo power off... at least it was only three hours

...when the power goes off here I'm still amazed that you can use the bathroom. We have well water and a pump at home and you can't flush the toilet or use water at all.
Which starts sucking when the power is off for more than a day.

It's our first really hot and muggy day this year. The air conditioner is tempting me.

Ah, Michigan, land meteorological extremes. I swear it was just last week I was still wearing my winter coat to work and people were covering their flowers b/c of frost. It FINALLY warmed up today, and by warm up I mean 89 degrees w/ 78% humidity (a whole 6 degrees hotter than southern Fla!), severe thunderstorms, and a tornado watch until 8pm. :huh: And yet, I LOVE THIS. I finally got to hang my fan in the window and my hair is curling. This is the first day since.....October that my skin hasn't been dry and itchy and my eyes aren't burning.

I just drove home my my aunt's house and it rained SO hard. It was honestly the most dangerous thing I've ever done. It stopped and the sun came out in a matter of seconds, and I saw that most people had pulled off to the shoulder and waited. Oops.

I really like my room b/c the upstairs deck is right above my window, so I can leave it totally open w/ the fan running during storms and nothing besides the window ledge gets wet.

Last edited:
It's kinda a weird sound that we don't really have in English. It's like the "oo" in book or look, but...different. I dunno...I'll have to think of an English word w/ the ü sound...

I think "foonf" is close enough for the average american layperson... it's spelled "fuenf" if you can't handle the umlauts.

and yes, yes we did get toasted, but only briefly. It was worse at home. Though apparently it seems there was a tornado south of town, so the sirens went of and I had to go sit in the bathroomf... but the whole thing was one of those ten minute storms we tend to have. Not too exciting.

The irony is that my roommate went stormchasing this weekend and there was a tornado HERE. Heh.

The land of meterological extremes applies to us too... crazy midwest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom