I just had my cat put down

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gluey

Blue Crack Addict
Hi all, feeling pretty sad at the moment. I just had to have my 6yr old cat, Molly, put down. She has started losing the plot and used my wardrobe and bathroom as a toilet.....nothing helped her. The worst part is that my hubby bought her for me as a kitten on the day I had a miscarriage, so she was very special to me. :sad: I know it's for the best, but it still hurts....I think I will immerse myself in some U2 DVD's this afternoon....that's pretty good therapy!

I am soooooooo sorry to hear that. I know what a sad thing it is to do. Don't immerse yourself in U2, submerge yourself in it. Here if you need me as always. JC

4-1.gif

I understand, completely. About a year ago we had to have our 14 year old cat put down. I was devastated for months.....I'd go in pet stores and come out crying. This past summer I got another kitten and then in the fall I got another one! I'm so glad I did. What a difference it makes. It is always sad to let go of your pet, but time will help.....my new fur-babies make all the difference in the world. :wink:

Im Sorry Gluey:hug:,I have lost a cat I bought when it was a kitten,but she got killed by someone:sad:
I`m very sorry:hug:

:hug: Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I'm feeling a bit better this afternoon. I've just finished playing Elevation Boston REALLY loud (sharing the love with my neighbours) and I already feel more uplifted than I did a little while ago. Nothing like a Bonobite of U2 medicine to take the Edge of things :wink:

The Rainbow Bridge - Author Unknown

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

:hug:

Rainbow bridge still makes me cry... I lost my lovely dog 6 years ago. He was 13 and my best friend. I'd had him since he was a few weeks old and he'd grown up with my sons. When we put him down it was like a part of me was gone forever. We all cried, even hubby. He was a great big furball of softness, totally stupid and dopey. He'd greet everyone he met, it didn't matter who they were.

I still miss him. I stil cry. I still ache to see him again. I'd like to think that one day we'll be together again. I know it sounds totally mad but that's the way I feel. I have to thank U2 for pulling me out of the black hole I fell into when he passed away. I totally absorbed myself in them and their music. They were like a safety net, their songs written for me and I guess I've never let go.

I do hope I'm making sense to someone. And Gluey, my heart goes out to you. It does get better but it'll never go away. Not quite. Just do as JC says and 'loose yourself'in the greatest band...they wrote their songs for you now.

...this time will pass...

Oh no, gluey! :sad: :hug: I am so sorry to hear about your loss. My cat of 17 years got put down on Sunday night, I'm absolutely gutted. I share your grief. :( :hug:

So sorry to hear that Gluey :hug::hug:
this september it'll be one year ago that my kitten got under a car... I know the feeling of losing a pet :( it sucks!
:hug: but it'll get less worse after a while, and I"m not saying it'll go away on purpose, 'cause things like this never completely go away!

I'm so sorry gluey. :hug:

That Rainbow Bridge piece made me cry. I'd never read it before, and I'm sitting here at my desk almost bawling. It reminded me of losing my dog when I was 17. It's such a heartbreaking thing to go through, no matter how you lose your pet. They are a part of your family, and it's so tough to see them go.

Wishing you peace and healing. :hug:

oh no:( I'm so sorry for all the lost pets...it's totally heartbreaking:(

I still cry over my cat of 18 years that I lost 2 years ago:( rip spikey.

OMG! the rainbow bridge is so beautiful but so heartbreaking:(

Last edited:
Bonochick said:
Oh no, gluey! :sad: :hug: I am so sorry to hear about your loss. My cat of 17 years got put down on Sunday night, I'm absolutely gutted. I share your grief. :( :hug:

I'm sorry about your cat. 17 years is almost a life time. Our animals form such a huge part of our lives... The only way I got through my loss was to concentrate on the wonderful life he had. We surely made sure of that. It helped but the hole is still there..

:sad: :hug: :hug:

Everyone, I feel your pain. And, Mia, the Rainbow Bridge story makes me cry every time I read it--let's hope it's true!

A little over two years ago, I had to have my kitty Miss Purrl put down--she was 20-1/2 years old, and had lived with me since she was 4 months old. She had a good, long life; but she got cancer in her jaw and it very quickly spread to her sinuses. She was such a good girl, and never complained. It was awful, but MrPurrl and I stayed with her while she crossed over; and I told her that Grandma (my mom) would catch her.

The day after I picked up her ashes from the vet, I went to PetSmart, just to look at the kitties and for some "fuzz therapy." At the cage at the end, a little white paw reached out to me, which belonged to a calico girl that we ended up taking home. (There was such an empty hole in our house!) Then last summer we also took in a stray from the neighborhood. I know that the new "furkids" don't replace the lost one in our hearts (I still cry over Miss Purrl sometimes), but they help. So cry all you want and need to; you'll know when the time is right for a new baby. :hug:

Mia :hug: Rainbow Bridge is beautiful. I cried, but it was a 'good' cry. Bonochick I'm so sorry to hear about your cat, it hurts so much doesn't it. No matter what people say (those that don't have pets mainly), a pet really does become an integral part of the family. I have an 11yr old cat who is like my best friend. She has got me through so many things, I almost cry with the thought of losing her....so expect me to be a mess when her time is up.

I do need help with a dilemma though. Because it was so quick with me finally catching her and having her put down (she has spent the last 5 months literally living wild and avoiding all human contact), I haven't told my kids yet.....we got little 'Bonita Ali' (thanks for the naming help!) just before Christmas to give the kids another focus, as we knew dear Molly's time was basically up. They haven't noticed she's gone yet, as they're used to not seeing her around much. Do I tell them, or do I pull the wool over their eyes and just let it be.......I don't want to upset them, but I don't want them to hate me in 10yrs time for not telling them the truth.....does that sound silly? :huh:

Tell them the truth and then tell them thats why Bonita Ali was brought into their lives. Not as a replacement, but to make everyone feel better when Molly went to heaven.

I know the one in my family to be an emotional wreck will be me if anything every happens to Riley. I will need therapy.

:hug: :hug: :hug:

Rainbow Bridge is so beautifully sweet. I lost my first Golden 11 years ago. I still think about him often, all the silly quirky things he did. When we saw Riley I knew he was the right one and I look at him and I see "Nugget". When I recieved his AKC papers, it turned out that his mothers name was Nugget and his dads name was Dustin. Before we knew this, we named him Riley Dustin. His AKC name is Life of Riley - Dustin the Roads.

I don't know why I told this story but reading everyone just brought back bittersweet memories.

:hug: Thanks for sharing JC....it's nice hearing other peoples pet stories.....

I think I will sit them down and tell them tonight.....ugh....I'm dreading it....I had making my babies sad :(

:hug: :hug: from us all in the wildhouse specially Beep, Effy and Specks.

Definitely second JC's comment on sharing the truth with the littlies, they'll be sad, yes, but later on they'll appreciate you being straight with them - that's been my experience with the Slopster and various furry tragedies, anyway.

You don't want a Plecko, do you? Good for cleaning windows with ...

Sorry to make so many cry :reject: it was given to me when I had to put down my dog of 10 years.

Gluey, I'd go ahead and tell your kids. It will be difficult, but I think the best way for you and your family to get through this is to experience it together. You all can bring each other your own unique gift of comfort.

Effanbee said:
[BYou don't want a Plecko, do you? Good for cleaning windows with ... [/B]

:giggle: and follow it up in the grill??? Maybe clean it with Bam??
You're so naughty!! :giggle: Thanks for the hugs... :hug:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom