I just had my cat put down

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:sad: So sorry gluey and Bonochick. :hug: It's such a heartwrenching decision to make. My Biddy Biddy crossed the Rainbow Bridge in 2000, after blessing me with her presence for 17 years. (She's my avatar.) I still cry over her at times; heck I dream about her too. I'm convinced that's when she comes to visit me, in my dreams. One time she even let me touch her for awhile. I remember the good times - the times she bossed Mr. LG around (which was frequent!), the times I carried her around on a pillow like a queen, the times she kicked me out of bed (man that cat could stretch herself out!). There will always be a space in my heart for her. I'm glad I finally thought to use pictures of her for my avatars here; in a way, she kind of lives on here in blue crack land.

Big :hug: to all who have furbabies waiting for us on the other side of the bridge.

And gluey, yes I definitely think you should tell the little ones the truth. It will hurt, yes, but in the long run, I think it's the right thing to do. Good luck with that.

Last edited:
Well I told my 7yr old tonight. Her heart broke, but with talking to her we were able to get it all into perspective. She realised that Molly hadn't been right for a while, and understands the significance of getting Bonita....She spent a long time cuddling her Dad (daddys girl :D) before she went to sleep. My 4yr old doesn't really get it. He's convinced that although she's 'up in the clouds', she'll come back down the next time it rains!! So cute. I will tell my 5yr old tomorrow. She was so tired tonight, that I thought it best to just let her be, and she was sound asleep before I even got a chance to talk to the other two...You were all right, I feel better for telling them. I think as a Mum you just want to protect them from bad things, and that's why I was in turmoil about telling them. I feel like a great weight has been lifted from my shoulders. :hug:

Lemon Grrrrrl said:
:sad: So sorry gluey and Bonochick. :hug: It's such a heartwrenching decision to make. My Biddy Biddy crossed the Rainbow Bridge in 2000, after blessing me with her presence for 17 years. (She's my avatar.) I still cry over her at times; heck I dream about her too. I'm convinced that's when she comes to visit me, in my dreams. One time she even let me touch her for awhile. I remember the good times - the times she bossed Mr. LG around (which was frequent!), the times I carried her around on a pillow like a queen, the times she kicked me out of bed (man that cat could stretch herself out!). There will always be a space in my heart for her. I'm glad I finally thought to use pictures of her for my avatars here; in a way, she kind of lives on here in blue crack land.

Big :hug: to all who have furbabies waiting for us on the other side of the bridge.

And gluey, yes I definitely think you should tell the little ones the truth. It will hurt, yes, but in the long run, I think it's the right thing to do. Good luck with that.

LG, I never thought of it like that; you saying that you're convinced when you dream about your cat, it's when she visits you! My mother (whose elderly) said the other day that when you dream about them they're nearby but I never really thought about it until you wrote about it. I dream about my dog, Josh at least once a week if not more and he's been gone since 13 Feb 01 (1:05 in the afternoon to be precise). It's really a lovely thought. I only dreampt of him last night so it's comforting. Thanks.

gluey said:
Well I told my 7yr old tonight. Her heart broke, but with talking to her we were able to get it all into perspective. She realised that Molly hadn't been right for a while, and understands the significance of getting Bonita....She spent a long time cuddling her Dad (daddys girl :D) before she went to sleep. My 4yr old doesn't really get it. He's convinced that although she's 'up in the clouds', she'll come back down the next time it rains!! So cute. I will tell my 5yr old tomorrow. She was so tired tonight, that I thought it best to just let her be, and she was sound asleep before I even got a chance to talk to the other two...You were all right, I feel better for telling them. I think as a Mum you just want to protect them from bad things, and that's why I was in turmoil about telling them. I feel like a great weight has been lifted from my shoulders. :hug:

:hug: It's done now. Now you can all grieve together as a family. When my Josh passed away, Andrew, my youngest (and now largest, hee hee) would rush to me and hug me til it stopped. He was a great help....

Awww gluey I'm so sorry. But it looks like you and your kids are healing so thats good. It was definitely better to tell them the truth. When my dad was a boy he had a dog he loved. It disappeared one day, his parents told him it had run away. He spents weeks searching the neighborhoods and calling for his dog until dark every day. It wasn't until years later they told him they had given his dog away. I can tell to this day that story still hurts him, and he's nearly 70. When it comes to losing a dear pet, the truth is always best. :hug:

youvedonewhat said:

LG, I never thought of it like that; you saying that you're convinced when you dream about your cat, it's when she visits you! My mother (whose elderly) said the other day that when you dream about them they're nearby but I never really thought about it until you wrote about it. I dream about my dog, Josh at least once a week if not more and he's been gone since 13 Feb 01 (1:05 in the afternoon to be precise). It's really a lovely thought. I only dreampt of him last night so it's comforting. Thanks.
:hug: Sometimes it just takes a different perspective for things to make sense. :) That idea just came out of me one day when I was in massage school. I was working the student clinic (read: slave labor) and had the sweetest client. She had cerebral palsy and had to have a dog help her out. The dog was so sweet, and the two of them were never apart - they'd been in each other's lives for 12 years. Then one week I saw her, and the dog wasn't there. She'd passed away suddenly, and it almost crushed my client - all of a sudden she was without her trusty companion and truly didn't know what to do. My client ended up having an emotional release on the table when I was massaging her (totally understandable) and said she felt guilty for enjoying the massage and relaxing when her Maime wasn't with her, and that when she got relaxed and closed her eyes, she could see Maime clear as day. I knew I needed to offer some words of comfort, and it just came to me - it's okay to relax and feel good, because that's when they come see you. So I told her, "That's when she's closest to you," and it offered her a lot of comfort and she was able to enjoy the rest of the massage.

Of course it's not like it hurts any less, but it definitely helps and lets us know it's okay to feel good without them.

gluey, I know your children will be glad you told them the truth (at least in the long run), and it's good to know that a weight has been lifted from you by doing so. :hug:

Aw, Gluey, I just saw this and am so sorry. I feel your pain...my little JRT, Guinness, died on Good Friday. It's been hard. I can't look at a box of Cheerios yet! (His favorite "treat.")

They say it gets better. Until then...:hug:

Bono Mot said:
Aw, Gluey, I just saw this and am so sorry. I feel your pain...my little JRT, Guinness, died on Good Friday. It's been hard. I can't look at a box of Cheerios yet! (His favorite "treat.")

They say it gets better. Until then...:hug:

It does get better, or rather it fades. And with my lovely boy Josh, it was sausages.... if ever I made sausages I'd always make an extra one for him. And he always expected to get his sausage.... we haven't had sausages since...

Thanks to everyone who offered me kind words, I didn't mean to infringe on gluey's thread with my own stuff, but I do appreciate it. :hug:

Bonochick don't ever apologise, because there is more than enough hugs and thoughts going around to share. That's why I love this place so much. :hug: Hope you're doing ok....

Back
Top Bottom