I have a question....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I tend to switch the switch the POV in my fics back and forth a lot, simply with a clear line break inbetween the sections, but then again, I write in third-person (usually) so that makes that a lot easier.

Since you're writing in first-person, it'll make it a little bit harder to seam the switchover smoothly, but if you really need to do it, do it. Just make it really clear at the beginning of the chapter whose POV you're going into.

Or perhaps you could make it a little less confusing by writing the other person's perspective in third person. For example, instead of having Bono say 'I looked over at Edge then, and I couldn't believe what I saw.', you could just do 'Bono looked over at Edge then, and couldn't believe what he saw., this way it's still clearly from Bono's POV, but not as confusing as it would be if you suddenly switched from one person's first-person POV to another.

We're smart readers here, and I think we can handle whatever decision you make without it hurting our interest in the story. I would say that putting the alternate POV into third person would probably be a better idea though, simply because when you've been reading a first-person POV for a while, your brain gets used to the I in the story referring exclusively to one person, so if it switches, it can throw the reader off.

...God, that was a longwinded post. Forgive me, it's an outrageous hour here!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom