I didn't actually 'meet" Bono

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BAW

The Flower
But after 20 years of seeing him only in pictures and far, far away on the stage, I finally got within a few feet of him!!!!

Yesterday we decided to go the arena a few hours early to hang around the GA line and hopefully meet some other Interference people. When we drove into the back entrance, we saw one of our very good friends standing on the corner and she tipped us off that Larry, Edge and Adam were already inside at souncheck but Bono had not been through yet. Knowing he habitually runs late, everyone was fully expecting him to pull up any minute. We hurried up and parked, got ourselves over to the guard gate area and within 20 minutes, it happened.

A black GMC Yukon SUV approached and started coasting very slowly along the curb. I could see Bono sitting in the front passenger seat and I could not believe he was right in front of me. There were probably 10 or 15 others standing behind the barricade and we were all hoping he would actually stop. The driver rounded a little curve in the driveway and stopped. And here is where it goes kind of bad. :(

The second Bono stepped from the SUV, several girls/women went completely nuts and started screaching "BONO, BONO, omg, BONO!!!" Someone who has met the band several times was begging them to settle down and stop screaming but they got even worse and almost knocked the barricades over. They were pushing and trying to run behind security and I think they made John Sampson nervous because he got Bono back in the truck right away.

Bono did manage to shake a few hands we all got pictures but it could have been so much better if people hadn't mobbed him. They just didn't understand that he probably would have stayed and actually posed with some of us if they had shown a little self control and treated Bono with a little more respect.

Anyway...he looked GREAT. He is really thin and in great shape, he was clean shaven and best of all, he was wearing THE PURPLE SHIRT!!!! :combust: :faint:

His smile was dazzling and I was shocked at how small he really is. I never noticed what great bone structure he has in his face lol :wink: I wish I could have gotten close enough to shake his hand but I am just thrilled to have caught a glimpse. And it only took 20 years!!! :D

(pics in next post)

These pics aren't the best but the sun was against us. And a big :kiss: to my sweetie Mr. BAW for taking the pics while I swooned!!!

DSCF0421-vi.jpg

DSCF0422-vi.jpg

Me after I realized I had just seen Bono :laugh:

DSCF0426-vi.jpg

OMG! That is terrible that those fans behaved in that way! It's so bad for them not to show a bit more respect, be patient&wait for him to come over to them, which he probably would have! :yes:

What a pity you didn't manage to get closer, but well done for seeing him and still pretty close!

:up:

stupid ass fans. don't get me started...

that's SO great char, that you got so close.

on monday afternoon, he waved at us, but never got out. :angry:

It didn't get much better inside the arena either Mindy :|

The people next to me thought the floor was supposed to have seats, that the people inside the elipse won a radio station contest and complained through the entire show that this was not "a fucking save Africa show, it was U2 show" I seriously wanted to throw beer at them.

There was a major brawl on the floor before the show even started.

Our ENTIRE section sat for 90% of the show and looked bored unless they were playing Beautiful Day or SBS. :sigh:

stupid teeny bopper antics spoil it for everyone and will probably stop Bono from greeting the fans today.

Mr Clean should come out first and explain to these idiots that Bono wont come over if hes mobbed or have people rushing towards him.

:angry:

It really makes you wonder about some people.

I won't be seeing them until they hit the Uk in June but i had similar problems last tour

For example... Earls Court the day Bob Hewson had passed away :sad: In GA and these back packers( whose nationality won't be mentioned as i don't want to offend anyone) did nothing but complain

1. They had their gigantic back packs on their backs obstructing my view...how they gotthem past security i'll never know:shrug:

2. Didn't sing along to any song and when they played 11 O'Clock Tick Tock looked at my mates and i as if we were mad because we were singing and jumping about...

3. Moaned how "emotional " Bono was and that he hadn't been at his best...

I was mad i can tell you:mad: :mad: :mad:

In the end my mate told them to :censored: off if they didn't really want to be there and to show compassion as Bob had passed away

That is horrible. I cannot believe that some people do not show any compassion during an individuals suffering. That is really sad. :( I would have been just as angry as you.

That's completely sick&scandalous, Wild!!!!!!!! :rant: :angry: :grumpy: :down: :slant:

What a bunch of wankers they were! They ought to be ashamed!

Celticfc said:
stupid teeny bopper antics spoil it for everyone and will probably stop Bono from greeting the fans today.

Mr Clean should come out first and explain to these idiots that Bono wont come over if hes mobbed or have people rushing towards him.

:angry:

A few of us were trying to get them to calm down and explained that Bono would come to us if we gave him a chance but I guess they couldn't hear us over their own screaming or didn't care.

Hopefully someone will come out ahead of time today and make it clear that screaming and hysterics = no Bono/Edge/Larry/Adam.

Congrats on your Bono meet!!:wink:

Shame a few fans didnt behave themselves but at least you have now done it!! It took me over 20 years to meet him as well!!

I'm a bit concerned about the comment on him being thin, he was just perfect on the Jonathan Ross Show in December when you hugged him he didnt feel boney or chubby just about right really!! :wink: :drool: :drool:
I hope he hasnt gone too thin.

Well done!!

Thanks! :D

He didn't look overly thin just much thinner than he looks in pictures. I've never seen him that close before and everyone says the camera adds 10 pounds so maybe he just looked a lot smaller to me because of that. He's probably dropped a few pounds being in rehearsals the past few weeks too but he did look really healthy and fit :up:

He had plenty of energy on stage too :wink:

i love the photo of you after seeing bono up close- the look on your face is one of pure bliss!!! :)

i am sorry that people were so out of control when bono came out- i heard the same thing happened after the 3/28 show. i am sure you'll get to have a "proper" meeting soon! *sending good vibes*

Bono's American Wife said:
It didn't get much better inside the arena either Mindy :|

The people next to me thought the floor was supposed to have seats, that the people inside the elipse won a radio station contest and complained through the entire show that this was not "a fucking save Africa show, it was U2 show" I seriously wanted to throw beer at them.

There was a major brawl on the floor before the show even started.

Our ENTIRE section sat for 90% of the show and looked bored unless they were playing Beautiful Day or SBS. :sigh:

:tsk: man, it's like all the old spirit of it is just gone.

i LOVE that picture of your face after you saw him.

OMG!! Bono's American Wife: The people next to me thought the floor was supposed to have seats, that the people inside the elipse won a radio station contest and complained through the entire show that this was not "a fucking save Africa show, it was U2 show" I seriously wanted to throw beer at them.
:scream:
AAAHH!! some people are so ungratefull!! U2 might not even come to Australia and there are people complaining about the show!! those people are CRAZY!! :censored:

Those people (or is that assholes?) make me sick, hay! :mad:

They don't even deserve to be there at all!!!! Grrrrr :madspit:

And to think of all the deserving fans on this site who'd kill to have been there! Shame on them!!! :rant: :grumpy: :angry:

WildHoney said:
For example... Earls Court the day Bob Hewson had passed away :sad: In GA and these back packers( whose nationality won't be mentioned as i don't want to offend anyone) did nothing but complain

Hey, that's OK WildHoney, if by "backpackers" you mean Aussies, go right ahead, I'm not offended. It's well known I reckon in Australia that 'packers are the biggest load of fuckwits ever born and actually it's a joy to get them out of the country. Unfortunately they do tend to go the UK in huge numbers (where they then get pissed in "Aussie" theme pubs and drink Fosters). :madspit:

I am so sorry for you Bono's AW. I once saw something similar in Sydney for ZooTV where a bunch of us were waiting (quietly in my case!) outside their hotel and Bono graciously came out to greet the fans. I've only seen similar mob scenes in Beatles movies. I was stood on a planter box about 30 feet away watching girls SCREAMING IN HIS FACE! :mad: He didn't hang around. :( I wanted to yell to them that if they shut up and were respectful, he would stay and talk to everyone, (as happened in Adelaide a week earlier when I met him :happy: , the only time by the way and it took 12 years!)

I don't understand screaming. I go the other way and am gobsmacked into silence and ga-ga. :huh:

:sigh:

Bono's American Wife said:
These pics aren't the best but the sun was against us. And a big :kiss: to my sweetie Mr. BAW for taking the pics while I swooned!!!

Me after I realized I had just seen Bono :laugh:

DSCF0426-vi.jpg

The look on your face is priceless! And Richard is a saint! :D

Congrats!

I know about these hysterical fans!! Happened to my friend and I in San Diego, and at the second LA show, they need to get a grip!!how can we spread the word? I was thinking of calling a local radio station and see of they would announce it... I still might for the next La shows.
take care all,
Dorene:huh:

Back
Top Bottom