How did you meet them???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

youtwohearts

New Yorker
I asked this in a thread but now I am asking anyone who will answer me. How did you meet them? My obsession is going on 20 years. I NEED to meet them. How do you get them to come over? How do you form a sentence? I want a picture with them, okay truthfully I'd like to have a conversation but I will settle for a picture. This is going to be my year or at least this year going into next (tour may be easier). HOW????:crazy:

one4u2 said:
Shall I answer those questions????

**Adjusts Halo**

No. You are in the same boat as me. I was asking for both of us since I know you will be there with me. Hopefully we get good answers. I know from the last thing I read that standing on the beach singing Desire isn't the way to go.

youtwohearts said:

No. You are in the same boat as me. I was asking for both of us since I know you will be there with me. Hopefully we get good answers. I know from the last thing I read that standing on the beach singing Desire isn't the way to go.

Standing on the beach singing desire??? What?? I've met Bono remember?? You were with me! I saw him so up close I could see up his nose!

youtwohearts said:

Really? I would have thought you would have certainly had the opportunity. You seem just as crazy about them as me. I've been close. Meet Paul but no band. :sad:

I will hope for you two, no pun intended!

I walked right past Paul McG. and didn't even know who he was! :der: I got close to them at a couple of GA concerts, and people at the same shows I was at met them at soundcheck but I ALWAYS miss out! I cannot ever find them at the right place at the right time. I have no money or ability to go to Dublin and hang out at the studio so that's out. I'd love to have a chance meeting with them on the street or on the beach like some have.

In all the years it seems they were easier to meet on the Elevation tour than any time before. I read so many meeting stories here and on wire I got my hopes up, I shouldn't have :sad: :sigh:

that's cause you're not hanging with the right crowd! LOL! I met Paul Mcg on the elevation tour, he gave me the setlist of the evening, pretty cool and a really nice guy! I also met Bono about a year ago at an interview he did for the new york times, I ran up to him told him it was my birthday and he said "oh it's your birthday?" Keep in mind I had no motor skills whatsoever! and he wrote Happy Birthday Heather on my ticket! Another instance, on the elevation tour I waited outside forever with 'youtwohearts, 'finally the van pulled up and I shoved my Details magazine quickly through the window. I peeked in and saw the edge sitting there also, but I got my mag signed!

Last edited:
Patience is a virtue :wink:

I didn't get to meet him, but I did get to snap a photo!
5af4d7e7.jpg

First of all One4U2 I don't think shoving a magazine or a ticket at Bono and having him sign it constitutes "Meeting". You know that it is all about the picture.

I AM GOING TO MEET THEM!!!!! I just don't know how.

Starrgoblue-which I sing every time I see your name- I am too short for GA so I don't have to worry about standing on that line so I can't help you there. I also have no money for a trip to Dublin at this time (Although One4U2 is driving me crazy about the trip) and I have a five year old daughter that likes Bono but won't go hang out somewhere with me a wait until I catch a glimpse.

I am determined and so should you be. You can come to NY and hang out with two crazy fans if you want. Anytime. He does have an apartment in NYC.

You need luck on your side as well!!

I waited over 20 years to meet Bono then I met Bono and Edge before a concert(we waited outside all day!!) then 4 times in Dublin at Hanover Quay 3 times all on seperate occassions I hasten to add I dont sit there for 15 hours a day for weeks on end!! and at the Newspaper Editors conference at the RDS in Dublin last June.

Dont give up it will happen look at me!!

one4u2 said:

Standing on the beach singing desire??? What?? I've met Bono remember?? You were with me! I saw him so up close I could see up his nose!

Check out the thread Meet Bono and family on Holiday. It explains about the nut jobs on the beach staring at their hotel room floor singing Desire. Needless to say they didn't come out for them.

Bono's Tart said:
You need luck on your side as well!!

I waited over 20 years to meet Bono then I met Bono and Edge before a concert(we waited outside all day!!) then 4 times in Dublin at Hanover Quay 3 times all on seperate occassions I hasten to add I dont sit there for 15 hours a day for weeks on end!! and at the Newspaper Editors conference at the RDS in Dublin last June.

Dont give up it will happen look at me!!

I am so jealous.:sad:

okay, here's my experience. i met bono twice on the elevation tour. well, i guess i only 'met' him once. that consistutded talked and such. the other time i was standing there when he was signing auotgraphs through a fence. so anyways, back to my story. someone posed the question above, that if back of the arena is the best place to meet them, then how do you stand in line for GA's? well, my answer would be, YES, outback of the arena is the best place to meet them, and YES, that does mean that you are forfeiting you GA's. However, when planned properly, they can both be accomplished.
I had tixs to both Calgary shows. The 2nd night i had GA's, the first night i had a seat. So, i waited before the first show out back of the arena. I waited for 5 hors for them to arrive, but meeting bono and shaking his hand, and him telling me that i was 'cool', was all worth it! Then the next day i was free to stand in line, and after 8.5 hrs, i made it into the heart. It was awesome that it worked out for me like that. So thats what i would recommend. Hang out to meet them when you don't have GA's. If you only have tixs to one single show and they are GA"s - then you have to make a choice. Go with your gut feeling. I wope up that morning and i KNEW i was going to meet Bono that day. its hard to explain it, but i was assured of when i woke up in bed that morning. Another option would be to have a friend in line hold your spot, while you camped out to meet the band.

Here is my advice by going onmy experience :) If you have GA get there early enough to get a good place in line and sign in. Throughout the day if the loading dock is in plain sight scope it out that was you can get a good idea if that's the area they come into.

In Austin during the elevation tour I got there at 10 in the morning and there were already 100 or to 117 people there . I signed in and spent the day talking and listening to music periodically checking the loading dock. I met a couple girls who had the edge barcelona shirts....nice ladies :) anyway they got there for soundcheck between 5 to 6 and all of em except Adam came out and signed I got edge on my stub so basically if your looking to meet em just have someone keep your place and check back from time to time and you might end up with something like this

edgeauto.jpg

jealous. never even been able to see a concert except in the uncomfort of my own living room. i vowed to everyone this year that it was going to change on the next tour. i told my dad that i didnt care if he ever helped me with anything again but if i needed his help getting money or time to see them then he was helping me and that was that. :D hes like "whatever". he knows ive been obsessed since i stole his u2 albums in 6th grade. seven years later im gettin serious!!!

u2bonogirl said:
jealous. never even been able to see a concert except in the uncomfort of my own living room. i vowed to everyone this year that it was going to change on the next tour. i told my dad that i didnt care if he ever helped me with anything again but if i needed his help getting money or time to see them then he was helping me and that was that. :D hes like "whatever". he knows ive been obsessed since i stole his u2 albums in 6th grade. seven years later im gettin serious!!!

Okay I am slightly older but understand where you are coming from. I have like them since 1981. War. They toured JT in the coliseum by my house (about 15 minutes away) I was 16 ish and my parents wouldn't let me go. You'll get there.

I have a feeling it's gonna happen this year....maybe because I'm crazy enough to do whatever I can. :huh: Thanks for the advice! So it's ALWAYS the rear of the arena that they enter for soundcheck and could really be anytime of the day right? (obviously not super early since they are rock stars :wink:)

youtwohearts said:

Okay I am slightly older but understand where you are coming from. I have like them since 1981. War. They toured JT in the coliseum by my house (about 15 minutes away) I was 16 ish and my parents wouldn't let me go. You'll get there.

I remember not getting to go to the ZooTV show when I was in highschool and the next day all the "cool" kids were wearing their tour shirts (it wasn't because my parents wouldn't let me, I just had no way of getting to the show :reject: )

but it all worked out eventually because my sister and I went to the Elevation tour show in Tampa :)

In my case it also too a long time...

1987: First U2 concert - no meeting
1992: Didn't have ticket for the show (still can't believe it) but went to an hotel for a drink after work thinking that they might be staying there and at least being able to take a look at them ;-) Got there, nobody outside, tought that they were not there but went with my friend anyways for a drink. But suprise! Daniel Lanois was at the bar and Bono came to join him a little bit later... Nobody went to talk to them and I didn't want disturb them... so it's not a real meeting lol
2001: Went to 2 Elevation shows - no meeting (didn't try because I went alone both times (my friends really have no taste in music what so ever)
2002: Went to Dublin (with new friends with good tastes ;-), saw Bono and Edge while checking-in at The Clarence (still didn't talk lol) and the next day managed to get a lift from Bono from the studio to Temple Bar. :drool:
2005: ?

Last edited:
2001 Vienna, U2 concert - no meeting :eyebrow:

2002 May - I went to Dublin, i didnt meet with U2, but i had a great time, I went to the Clarence, to the Dockers and to the windmill lane wall and of course to Bono's gate (I saw Ali and the kids :wink: )

2003 June: I went to Dublin again, and I met with Mr. Bertie Ahern :wink: and we talked a few words about Bono :p

and finally:
2004 May - we went to the u2 studio and we met 3 times with the band (bono, adam, edge), we took lots of photo, video... it was amazing! They were really kind to us. :wink:

it has been a long way from Budapest to Dublin, but it was worth it! :love: :D

Last edited:
I meet Paul M. at the second concert in Copenhagen in 2001. I couldn't say any thing but "thank you" and the likes. It was rather nice, he gave me (and my friend, Mona) a setlist of the night... Of course I didn't get an autograph (DOH!)....

And I got a close look at Edge, when they said Goodbye to the fans :)

But, I hope that U2 will come to Denmark again in their upcoming tour. I don't have the money to travel alot :S So i'll just hope and pray that i'll get the chance to meet them.

I'm just worried because I'm so shy I might mess up my chance...I can just see myself getting shoved aside by some nutball.... I'd never want to rush at them, I'd rather have them acknowledge and choose to meet me--if that makes any sense.

Just be patient is all I can say...You've got to treat them with respect as well. Don't be shy...they're quite friendly :) When I met them I didn't go nuts or pass out because I felt like if I were talking to an old friend. :hug: I'm sure if you meet them you'll do fine :)

Mullen-Girl said:
Just be patient is all I can say...You've got to treat them with respect as well. Don't be shy...they're quite friendly :) When I met them I didn't go nuts or pass out because I felt like if I were talking to an old friend. :hug: I'm sure if you meet them you'll do fine :)

Oh...I do agree with you a LOT! :)
It's really all about LUCK, I'd say...and something beyond that!
When I woke up (oh...by the way, exactly 5 months ago...on April 30th!!) if someone told me: Tania, today is your day, you are going to meet Bono...I'd say for sure: C'Mon, don't you have someone else to joke?? But...it happened....I know I fought a lot to make it happen, but...it's like looking for a needle lost in the sand!! They could be ANYWHERE...and the chances where not on my side! Anyway, against all odds, I was helped by people...and things DID happen!! And I cherish that day like no other! Not only I got a kiss...a hug...autographes to remind it forever....but I WE (me and Bono) also were photographed by a newspaper...the pic came out ..and I was interviewd by a radio station....HOW DOES ALL THIS HAPPENS??
I really don't know!! FAITH?? BELIEVE?? PRAYING?? Who knows??
The only thing I know...is that I love those guys more then I can say! :):wink: If they had a clue...just a clue of HOW much they changed my life....I think they wouldn't believe! :)

Back
Top Bottom