How did you meet them??? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > PLEBA > PLEBA Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2004, 08:50 PM   #16
Refugee

Local Time: 10:01 PM
okay, here's my experience. i met bono twice on the elevation tour. well, i guess i only 'met' him once. that consistutded talked and such. the other time i was standing there when he was signing auotgraphs through a fence. so anyways, back to my story. someone posed the question above, that if back of the arena is the best place to meet them, then how do you stand in line for GA's? well, my answer would be, YES, outback of the arena is the best place to meet them, and YES, that does mean that you are forfeiting you GA's. However, when planned properly, they can both be accomplished.
I had tixs to both Calgary shows. The 2nd night i had GA's, the first night i had a seat. So, i waited before the first show out back of the arena. I waited for 5 hors for them to arrive, but meeting bono and shaking his hand, and him telling me that i was 'cool', was all worth it! Then the next day i was free to stand in line, and after 8.5 hrs, i made it into the heart. It was awesome that it worked out for me like that. So thats what i would recommend. Hang out to meet them when you don't have GA's. If you only have tixs to one single show and they are GA"s - then you have to make a choice. Go with your gut feeling. I wope up that morning and i KNEW i was going to meet Bono that day. its hard to explain it, but i was assured of when i woke up in bed that morning. Another option would be to have a friend in line hold your spot, while you camped out to meet the band.

Old 09-10-2004, 08:55 AM   #17
War Child

Local Time: 09:01 PM
Here is my advice by going onmy experience If you have GA get there early enough to get a good place in line and sign in. Throughout the day if the loading dock is in plain sight scope it out that was you can get a good idea if that's the area they come into.

In Austin during the elevation tour I got there at 10 in the morning and there were already 100 or to 117 people there . I signed in and spent the day talking and listening to music periodically checking the loading dock. I met a couple girls who had the edge barcelona shirts....nice ladies anyway they got there for soundcheck between 5 to 6 and all of em except Adam came out and signed I got edge on my stub so basically if your looking to meet em just have someone keep your place and check back from time to time and you might end up with something like this

Old 09-10-2004, 03:37 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 05:01 PM
jealous. never even been able to see a concert except in the uncomfort of my own living room. i vowed to everyone this year that it was going to change on the next tour. i told my dad that i didnt care if he ever helped me with anything again but if i needed his help getting money or time to see them then he was helping me and that was that. hes like "whatever". he knows ive been obsessed since i stole his u2 albums in 6th grade. seven years later im gettin serious!!!
Old 09-10-2004, 03:47 PM   #19
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by u2bonogirl
jealous. never even been able to see a concert except in the uncomfort of my own living room. i vowed to everyone this year that it was going to change on the next tour. i told my dad that i didnt care if he ever helped me with anything again but if i needed his help getting money or time to see them then he was helping me and that was that. hes like "whatever". he knows ive been obsessed since i stole his u2 albums in 6th grade. seven years later im gettin serious!!!
Okay I am slightly older but understand where you are coming from. I have like them since 1981. War. They toured JT in the coliseum by my house (about 15 minutes away) I was 16 ish and my parents wouldn't let me go. You'll get there.
Old 09-10-2004, 04:25 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

^
so close! and you couldnt go. how terrible.
Old 09-13-2004, 07:27 AM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:01 PM
I have a feeling it's gonna happen this year....maybe because I'm crazy enough to do whatever I can. Thanks for the advice! So it's ALWAYS the rear of the arena that they enter for soundcheck and could really be anytime of the day right? (obviously not super early since they are rock stars )
Old 09-13-2004, 08:16 AM   #22
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: 8 years and I still can't think of anything witty to put here
Quote:
Originally posted by youtwohearts

Okay I am slightly older but understand where you are coming from. I have like them since 1981. War. They toured JT in the coliseum by my house (about 15 minutes away) I was 16 ish and my parents wouldn't let me go. You'll get there.
I remember not getting to go to the ZooTV show when I was in highschool and the next day all the "cool" kids were wearing their tour shirts (it wasn't because my parents wouldn't let me, I just had no way of getting to the show )

but it all worked out eventually because my sister and I went to the Elevation tour show in Tampa
Old 09-13-2004, 10:38 AM   #23
The Fly

In my case it also too a long time...

1987: First U2 concert - no meeting
1992: Didn't have ticket for the show (still can't believe it) but went to an hotel for a drink after work thinking that they might be staying there and at least being able to take a look at them ;-) Got there, nobody outside, tought that they were not there but went with my friend anyways for a drink. But suprise! Daniel Lanois was at the bar and Bono came to join him a little bit later... Nobody went to talk to them and I didn't want disturb them... so it's not a real meeting lol
2001: Went to 2 Elevation shows - no meeting (didn't try because I went alone both times (my friends really have no taste in music what so ever)
2002: Went to Dublin (with new friends with good tastes ;-), saw Bono and Edge while checking-in at The Clarence (still didn't talk lol) and the next day managed to get a lift from Bono from the studio to Temple Bar.
2005: ?
Old 09-14-2004, 02:50 AM   #24
The Fly

Local Time: 10:01 PM
2001 Vienna, U2 concert - no meeting

2002 May - I went to Dublin, i didnt meet with U2, but i had a great time, I went to the Clarence, to the Dockers and to the windmill lane wall and of course to Bono's gate (I saw Ali and the kids )

2003 June: I went to Dublin again, and I met with Mr. Bertie Ahern and we talked a few words about Bono

and finally:
2004 May - we went to the u2 studio and we met 3 times with the band (bono, adam, edge), we took lots of photo, video... it was amazing! They were really kind to us.

it has been a long way from Budapest to Dublin, but it was worth it!
Old 09-14-2004, 03:50 AM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I've met them a few times.

Once in Austin Elevation show...before the show I got to meet all except Adam.

When I was living in Dublin I met them a few times. You can see our pictures and stuff at
http://limelight.pcdome.hu/dublin/

Old 09-20-2004, 07:53 AM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Ugh...I'm obbessing way too much about this....I want the oppurtunity really bad.
Old 09-21-2004, 02:40 AM   #27
Babyface

I meet Paul M. at the second concert in Copenhagen in 2001. I couldn't say any thing but "thank you" and the likes. It was rather nice, he gave me (and my friend, Mona) a setlist of the night... Of course I didn't get an autograph (DOH!)....

And I got a close look at Edge, when they said Goodbye to the fans

But, I hope that U2 will come to Denmark again in their upcoming tour. I don't have the money to travel alot :S So i'll just hope and pray that i'll get the chance to meet them.
Old 09-27-2004, 01:11 PM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

I'm just worried because I'm so shy I might mess up my chance...I can just see myself getting shoved aside by some nutball.... I'd never want to rush at them, I'd rather have them acknowledge and choose to meet me--if that makes any sense.
Old 09-29-2004, 03:50 AM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Just be patient is all I can say...You've got to treat them with respect as well. Don't be shy...they're quite friendly When I met them I didn't go nuts or pass out because I felt like if I were talking to an old friend. I'm sure if you meet them you'll do fine
Old 09-30-2004, 03:03 PM   #30
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by Mullen-Girl
Just be patient is all I can say...You've got to treat them with respect as well. Don't be shy...they're quite friendly When I met them I didn't go nuts or pass out because I felt like if I were talking to an old friend. I'm sure if you meet them you'll do fine
Oh...I do agree with you a LOT!
It's really all about LUCK, I'd say...and something beyond that!
When I woke up (oh...by the way, exactly 5 months ago...on April 30th!!) if someone told me: Tania, today is your day, you are going to meet Bono...I'd say for sure: C'Mon, don't you have someone else to joke?? But...it happened....I know I fought a lot to make it happen, but...it's like looking for a needle lost in the sand!! They could be ANYWHERE...and the chances where not on my side! Anyway, against all odds, I was helped by people...and things DID happen!! And I cherish that day like no other! Not only I got a kiss...a hug...autographes to remind it forever....but I WE (me and Bono) also were photographed by a newspaper...the pic came out ..and I was interviewd by a radio station....HOW DOES ALL THIS HAPPENS??
I really don't know!! FAITH?? BELIEVE?? PRAYING?? Who knows??
The only thing I know...is that I love those guys more then I can say! If they had a clue...just a clue of HOW much they changed my life....I think they wouldn't believe!