How did you discover U2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pax

ONE love, blood, life
True story: I was five when The Joshua Tree came out, and my mom is kind of young, for a mom. I was in the car with her one day, and "I Still Haven't Found..." came on the radio. She ran right out the same day and bought TJT, and we both loved it. (My dad didn't, but, well, he's an accountant and not terribly hip.
wink.gif
)

And I've been in love ever since. They're one of the few bands/musicians that I liked when I was five that I still like...other than Madonna, I guess. My mom says that I would dance around my playroom and try to sing "Where the Streets..." just like Bono. Now I don't want to sing like him anymore...I just want to, well...you know what I mean.
wink.gif

------------------
If you cannot live together in here, you cannot live together out there, let me tell ya. --Bono

You've got to cry without weeping, talk without speaking, scream without raising your voice... --Bono

I was 5 when the Joshua Tree came out as well. However, I didn't realize how incredible the album (and the band) was until my parents bought it for me 8 years later.

------------------
"I don't know you,
But you don't know the half of it..."

Gosh I fell in love with U2 in in the early 90's with Achtung Baby!! I was a junior or senior in high school at the time.

I remember watching MTV and they kept announcing the return of U2 and there new video "Mysterious Way." Everytime the video came on I would turn the channel. I didn't know who U2 where. So one day I was lazy and didn't turn the channel when the video was on. I remember seing the video and thinking " OH MY GOD.... WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT!!" From that one viewing of the video I have been hooked!!!

I actually thanked God for being lazy and not turning the channel! Now all these years later I am having the time of my life going to and listening to U2 concerts and music!!!

For once MTV didn't suck!!!!

Weeeelll, I wasn't five when JT came out... I was 14.
smile.gif

I remember hearing their songs off and on, but the U2 rush didn't hit me until I was a senior in high school sitting in my then-boyfriend's truck, listening to "With or Without You" and em, making out.
icon35.gif

Needless to say, I've been a U2 fan ever since. So much so, that I now am a proud owner of a personalized plate on my truck that reads: U2 ROKS.
smile.gif
I love it. And, I was finally able to have Edge sign it in LA at the last show. That was surreal. Oh, and not the plate on my truck, but the front plate that I never got around to attaching to the front of my truck (shhh! don't tell anyone - see, it fell off, and um, well, you know.)

Moonie

------------------
If you ask me, I think it's all about drums.
Tonight the moon has drawn its curtains
It's a private show no one else going to know
I'm wanting
(If You Wear That Velvet Dress)
Hit Gurl

[This message has been edited by moon_is_playing_tricks (edited 12-03-2001).]

[This message has been edited by moon_is_playing_tricks (edited 12-03-2001).]

I was 12 years old when I saw U2 live at Red Rocks concert on Night Flight, a music show that came on the USA network in the 80s. I would make it a point to go visit my mom on the weekends so I could see if they were going to show that concert. I just fell in love with U2 after seeing it, it was just amazing. I actually bought it thru ebay a few years ago.

I was about 6 or 7 when I was first exposed to U2...It was the video "Gloria" that got my interest, but I really have to say I got hooked when I was about 10 when I saw the Red Rocks concert on TV...I think I saw all the repeats of the show...
smile.gif
Oh yeah, my first U2 concert was in 1992, when they came to Atlanta for ZooTV...They were the first band to play in the Georgia Dome!
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by MissVelvetDress (edited 12-03-2001).]

I knew U2 when I was really young, but I was not interested in them.I heard the songs on radio, but nothing more.
About 6 years ago I heard "with or without you" and I fell in love with the song! I ran to the store to buy JT, and then just kept discovering all their fabulous songs!!! I've Been a u2 fan (almost obsessed lmao) ever since!
smile.gif
smile.gif

------------------
"The goal is elevation"
"Midnight is when the day begins"

I posted this a while back...but there's a lot of new people here that haven't read it, and it's relevant, so here goes:

Have you ever hated a band for no reason? By that I mean, you hadn't really listened to their songs, but for some reason you just got this vibe, and decided to despise them, however irrationally?
I confess: I felt this way about U2 for six years!

I first heard U2 in 1992, when Mysterious Ways was being plastered all over the radio. I didn't have anything against the song, it was okay, but for reasons which I cannot explain I just thought to myself, "U2 sucks!" It might have been because they were so popular and I have a thing against really popular bands (like today's N'Sync or Limp Bizkit). If anyone asked me what I thought of U2, I would say, "Yeah, Mysterious Ways isn't bad, but other than that I don't like 'em."

A short while later I turned on MTV for the very first time. I saw a leather-clad man wearing enormous sunglasses and bounding across a concert stage. In the corner was an icon reading "ZOO-TV."
"What is THIS?" I said, and changed the channel.

A couple years later, I think 1995, I was riding in the car with my best friend at the time and her mom. Her mom was a big U2 fan, and we were listeing to Zooropa in the car. The only songs I specifically remember having heard were Numb and Lemon. When I heard Numb I thought, "Wait a sec...I remember seeing this guy on TV! They were like, tying him up and stuff!" Lemon I liked but was kind of freaked out by the falsetto vocals. I thought it was a woman singing "She bought lemons..."
So from then on, if it was brought up, I said "Well, I like Mysterious Ways and Lemon and Numb, but other than that U2 stinks."

In 1997 I did two reprts on Northern Ireland. One was a history of the conflict there, and another was an argument paper about whether I thought the situation would ever be resolved. It was a long and involved process, writing these, and one night in the middle of it I was listeing to the radio and "Sunday Bloody Sunday" came on. I'd heard the song before but not known what it was about. But now it had a very significant meaning to me. Thankfully the DJ came on immediately afterwards and said, "That was U2 with Sunday..." and I thought, "You mean U2 does that song too!?"
So I went out and bought a used cassette of War. (Wouldn't want to risk spending too much money on these guys!) I listened to the first three songs, then ran out of patience. New Years Day was good, too, but Seconds was kind of boring.
And so then, if someone brought up U2, I had to say, "Well, I like Mysterious Ways, and Lemon and Numb and New Years Day and Sunday Bloody Sunday, but thats IT..."

In 1998 I became obsessed with Tommy Lee Jones. I rented and watched all his movies, including "Blown Away," a film about Northern Irish terrorists. In the film Tommy's character buys a copy of the Joshua Tree (even though he's never heard of U2) and listens to it while he builds his bombs (Bono would NOT be happy to hear this). They played WOWY, ISHFWILF, and WTSHNN. The songs actually went really well in the movie, and I thought "Hey, I've heard these before. I LIKE these songs! You mean U2...? Oh dear."
So I went out and bought a copy of the Joshua Tree. I listened to it alone one night at full blast while I was cleaning my room. And I thought, "You know, maybe U2 isn't so bad after all..."

------------------
*Echo the Pimpstress* ... Proud Owner of Animatronic Edge!

"Sting, you know I love you but you got a hell of a lot to learn about Rock n' Roll." -Bono

"We're fighting something we barely understand...Esperanto!"

"For the good of the nation, you must defile Bono!" - Me

Bono-Man! An Epic Superhero Adventure!

The Official PLEBA Glossary: Delicious AND Nutritious!

Hmm my memory sucks but I believe it was when With or Without you came out.. the song and the video.. I was 14. And my best friend and I fell in love with the song, and well when we saw the video we were drooling of course and decided we must get the album.

The concert was friggin awesome. We cried during the whole thing. I was very obsessed back then .. some of you have seen just how obsessed. hee hee.

Here's a picture I drew of Larry when I was 14. I know its not all that.. but I'd like to post it anyway.
smile.gif

W249091.jpg

------------------
These days, days, days run away like horses over the hill...

Sicy's Website

Photo Albums

The first time I was exposed to U2 had to be the WOWY video. I was...9. My real obsession started when my parents got the Time with them on the cover. My grandpa gave me a bunch of albums that a neighbor was tossing. I saw Red Rocks soon after that, the rest is history. My first show was in 1992 in Tinley Park, IL. Zoo TV and AB rocked my world.
PS Joshua Tree was my very first CD, I bought it the same day I bought my CD player
biggrin.gif
! I had to go out and buy another this year b/c it's so scratched.

------------------
~*Honey*~

The doors you open
I just can't close...

If you dream,
Dream out loud

Hmmm...

This is hard to remember. I was about 13 years old. I kept seeing the video for Gloria come on MTV. Why the heck are they singing on a barge I thought? Loved the song, instantly loved Bono.

A friend of mine at school bought October. We were quite into our faith at the time and I remember us playing "tomorrow" and "October" over and over and writing the words out because they weren't on the album. For some reason when you are a high school freshman, it's cool to write out the lyrics on notebook paper? Even back then I was just so impressed with Bono's lyrics. (even tho I find out years later he made up a lot of the lyrics to that album since they were lost!) "Tomorrow" is stll one of my favorite U2 songs.

Then later in the year or next, u2 did a concert in Kansas City. Alas, I was too young to go into downtown to a nightclub ( as it was known at that time) so the first concert I actually attended was Joshua Tree 1987.

Well, things really haven't been the same since...!

oktobergirl

Ahhhh, beautiful memories of youth....

Remember Live Aid concert? (just kidding...)
I think it was the first foreign concert broadcasted by polish national tv... Imagine what it was for the young ppl in Poland - we had no MTV, we had no western bands coming to our country, if you had foreign vinyl records you was a most popular person and always invited to the parties (government policy:
icon38.gif
, everything coming from western part of the world was evil, rock also...)
I was glued to the tv set all the time 'cause I didn't wanted to miss anything... And I saw a man with a mullet (yes, I'm not afraid to say this word!!!) dancing with a girl on stage during neverending "Bad". He was so charismatic and their music was so different from the other bands performing... Even though I didn't understand what they were singin' about (I learned English later especially to know what U2 was trying to tell me) I was mesmerized. And I stayed in this state since then.

Here in sydney we had a music show on tv each afternoon that showed video clips. I used to race home from school to watch it. When I was about 12 I saw a clip of 'I will follow' and thought to myself 'that drummers cute' and have been hooked from that day.

I must say that my feelings for U2 are as strong today as they were 20 years ago!

------------------
'well...2 years and finally we make it down the end of the yellow brick road to sydney australia...' Bono Zoo TV

My brother brought home UF and JT at Christmas one year. (I was around 11) I listened to UF and was hooked for life. Been a fan for 14 years now.
smile.gif

------------------
"It's all about drums."

"What's with all the glitter? I thought you didn't like our mirrorball lemon and shit. Well it's too late to change your mind now." -- Bono, Indianapolis, May 10, 2001

"Tonight with us, we have people who turned celebrity on its head. Celebrities are supposed to be somebody special, film stars, rock stars, we're celebrities. Supposed to be heroes, but we're not heroes. We're very selfish people who enjoy what they do, thank you very much. But here tonight we have from the fire department of New York City, from the police department of New York City, men and women that came down to catch the U2 show tonight. Theirs is the kind of bravery that can truly change the world." --Bono, Notre Dame, October 10, 2001

Whether you love me or hate me you can still email me: clarityat3am@hotmail.com

My Dad has always been afan of u2.on sunday mornings he would make me watch R&H.it used to drive me crazy lol.
then one day my brother was listening to ALL I WANT IS YOU and i fell in love with it,so i borrowed the album and the following christmas i got all their albums,thts how my obssession started.i was only 14 when i got into u2 and none of my friends could understand my obssesion.i dont think they still do !!!!!!!

------------------
a vampire or a victim it depends on whos around

Dont let the Bastards grind you down

i'm not sure how but i think that axl rose did something about it

------------------
a mexican poet, but not a very good one

Well I was about 6 or 7 years old when JT came out and I was at my cousin's house in Mexico and he'd always blast it, and whenever Streets would play, I'd run into his room and I'd start dancing and jumping up and down....

But I didn't become a real fan until I was about 11 when AB came out, my cousin bought it for me when I was having a tough time and he played One, and I heard the first verse and I broke down crying, and it's been a special song for me ever since
smile.gif

------------------
The U2 revolution has been reinstated.

THE Larry Mullen Jr. Page
http://www.geocities.com/kiti_regia/index.html

Meeting Larry:
*MG shows Larry poster*
*Larry reads poster*
*Larry smiles and says "Thank you that's very nice of you"*
*Larry signs paper, shakes MG's hand*
*MG almost dies then sees tearaway pants and gets bad ideas*

I heard Street back in 1987 and since then there has been no other band
smile.gif

I was 15 back then...

------------------
"The bass player's got it. The bass player's fucking got it." Bono, Boston 6-9-01

My brother 'introduced' me to them w/ the War album.

Really the only nice thing he's ever done for me
wink.gif

------------------
If you are really good friends with The Edge, you can just call him The~ Adam

The right side of my brain is kinda redundant~ Larry

Well, I'm a very new fan compared to a lot of you. I only got into U2 this year.

It started when I first heard Beautiful Day on TOTP. I didn't completely love it but I thought it was a cool song so I got the single. I usually only buy singles when I'm not going to get the album, and at the time I didn't think I'd ever be buying a U2 album. They were one of those bands that I'd heard of, but I couldn't really think of any songs they'd done.(I was only 16, but I still think not knowing any songs is inexcusable now I think about it.)

Anyway, at the time I was really obsessed with Savage Garden. And you know sometimes when you're really obsessed you start deliberately trying to like things the band like. Well, I knew Darren(singer in SG) really loved U2, and that they were his favorite band, and how on tour SG sometimes covered WOWY and things like that. So I thought, "Well, If I like U2's next single I might just buy their latest album." The next single was "Stuck," and I didn't particularly like it at the time, but I thought it was OK, so I bought ATYCLB. I was thinking "wouldn't it be cool if I liked U2, seeing as Darren does and he's my idol, blah blah blah..."

Well, you can probably guess what happened next
biggrin.gif
. I was like "Uh oh, this wasn't meant to happen. I can?t love them more than SG. That wasn?t in the plan." But that's what happened. And then I asked on the SG message board I went to if anyone knew a good U2 message board, and I was pointed in this direction, and this place just fuelled my obsession further
biggrin.gif

The moral of the story is ? "Be careful where you aim, Cause where you aim you just might hit."

[This message has been edited by Truly (edited 12-04-2001).]

Originally posted by Gina Marie:
My brother 'introduced' me to them w/ the War album.

Really the only nice thing he's ever done for me
wink.gif

lol ditto but it was JT

I was 15, when I fell in love with a girl that was in the same class, we studied english in an academy.
I stared at her all the class, and the only thing she did was writing..she wrote,and wrote, anything seemed to care to much for her...
one day I asked her what she was writing....and she answered me..."U2 songs"...that would be in 1992...the first album she lend me was TJT ...next day I bought it next to Achtung Baby...
We went togethert to ZOOTV in BCN...then she was my girlfriend!!!
I have a fantastic memory from her...not just it was my first time with U2,,,because it was too my first time....ah! the first time...

Oh gosh...this is going back lol...I remember when all my friends were listening to umm New Kids On The Block, and I just didn't understand all that glitzy stuff...and I was with my old brother, and some of the kids of co-workers from my mother's work, and we were in some place in upstate NY, and "One" came on the radio, mind you, I was like 8 or 9 and I remember the line, "Have you come here for forgiveness have you come to raise the dead..." just blowning my mind at the time. And I remember hearing "Mysterious Ways" and I loved that song, then I guess my brother, who now claims to hate U2, got Achtung Baby. Fast foward to oh, 1993 when Zooropa came out, my family was on vacation, again, but this time we were on our way to Niagra Falls, and the whole trip, we listened to Zooropa...and we stopped one night and my brother and I were watching MTV (back then, we didn't have MTV at my house, so this was an extravagence) and the video for "Numb" came on...I remember being quite amused by it...I don't know why. Then let's fast forward to 1998...when I decided I had enough exposure from my childhood, and I saw the video for "The Sweetest Thing" and I had to run out and get the best of cd, a funny side note...when I finally got around to hearing Zooropa again a few years ago, I remembered every word from every song, okay, I didn't know all of "Numb", but I guess the whole album must have been stuck some where in the back of my brain...

------------------
Dana

"I simulate love making by beating a piece of wood with a metal wire on which it vibrates."
-Adam, when asked, 'If a martian landed and was introduced to you and asked what you do, what would you say?'

IM me: ghettopoptart83

Red Rocks!
smile.gif

------------------
Visit my U2 webpage! <A HREF="http://community.webshots.com/user/u2kitten

"Walk" TARGET=_blank>http://community.webshots.com/user/u2kitten

"Walk</A> On, stay safe tonight"

I liked U2 since I was a child, but my love became real on 1997. I was with my boyfriend (at that time we were just good friends), and we were listening and singing "Staring at the sun". Well, in that moment I felt that their songs would have changed all my life. And I thought right:)

--------
*Scarlet*
THE ROYAL KITE OF LANGUAGE FOR L.E.A.T.H.E.R.

I can remember U2 all my life. My family always liked them. I watched them on MTV when I was little and remember watching Live Aid even though I was just 3. I was raised on them and they are encoded in my DNA!
smile.gif

------------------
~Just as you find me, always I will be, a little bit too free, with myself~

I didn't become a fan until about a year ago. I loved the song "Beautiful Day," so I asked for their new album for Christmas last year. I got it and loved it. My brother bought the "Best Of" Album and I fell in loved with that album as well. There were a lot of songs on that album that I liked before, but I didn't know that U2 performed all of them. So I started looking them up on the internet and finding out more about them. And now I am a huge fan
smile.gif

I've been a fan since I was in the womb
smile.gif

My mom has been a fan since their existence, and she made my dad a fan back in the early 80's, and then I came along in '86, and I've been a fan ever since....

Back when I was 2 or 3 I used to promenade around the house singing "Sunday Bloody Sunday" acting like I was Bono at the Red Rocks. When I was 5 and ZooTV came out, my parents bought me black fly shades and U2 pins and took me to see ZooTV. We were pretty damn close too, cause Bono saw me sitting on my Dad's shoulders and smiled at me
biggrin.gif
(yaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy!)

And when I was 8, we got a black cat which we named Macphisto
wink.gif
(but he's gone now, and I miss him
frown.gif
) Up until I was about 9 or 10 I only listened to U2, and I only watched MTV if U2 was on. I was one of the few who was sheltered from New Kids, Vanilla Ice, Hammer, all those early-90's dance acts, etc.... I had no idea who any of these people were until I was about 11 or 12, when my friends would reminisce about them and I had no clue who they were talking about.... which isn't a bad thing in my opinion (I was spared!
smile.gif
)

Well, that's my story, and I am so lucky to have been a fan of U2 all my life, and I know that's not gonna change.....

------------------
*~*?*~*~ Katie ~*~*?*~*

I wonder what's gonna happen to you
You wonder what has happened to me

Back
Top Bottom