How did you discover U2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have always known about U2, just never really got into them. That is, until last year.
I was having a really bad day one day in late 2000 (not a great year in general), and I was about ready to give up everything. I went to bed really depressed. Well, for some reason the next morning I turned on the tv to VH1 (which I almost never do) and there was the "Beautiful Day" video. I was stunned for awhile and then I broke down. I couldn't stop crying and ended up not attending school that day. I watched VH1 constantly trying to see that video again. I needed it. That afternoon I saw it again and I knew that I needed to get the album as soon as it came out. So I was in line and waiting when the stores opened the day the album came out. Unfortunately I had to go to school and couldn't listen to it...but that evening I sat and listened to the entire album 3 times in a row and sobbed. I was completely amazed that a world famous band could write lyrics that spoke only to me. I felt that the album was written for me.

I'm still in awe. And I knew that they were great. So now I own every work they've produced and am slowly feeding my obsession with the greatest band in the world.

hippyactress

------------------
One love, one life...
Give peace a chance!
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

I've been hearing their songs ever since I was little. I grew up hearing the JT songs but never knowing who sang them. And here comes the stupid part you guys will all laugh about....when I heard someone say "U2" on the radio, I thought U2 were two black guys!!!!!! LOL!!!!! When I was 13 I heard "Sweetest Thing" and saw the video. I thought it was an awesome video cause it was so weird. Then they said it was by U2, and I was like "What? I thought they were black guys!!" My friend got me hooked by playing War excessivly, and then I saw Larry....and the obsession has never faltered. :p

------------------
The Proud Owner of the ONLY Cardboard Larry!!!

God Bless America and my city, NYC!

Bono urged, "Hey Lawrence, tell them your drummer joke."
"That's a bit mean, asking a drummer to tell a drummer joke," Larry replied, but he told the joke anyway. "Three guys are sittin' down having a rap and the first guy says, 'I'm a nuclear scientist and I have an IQ of 170'. The second guy says, 'I have an IQ of 140 - I'm a neurosurgeon.' The next guy says, 'I have an IQ of seventy.' The other two guys say . . . [You're a drummer!']."

Hee hee! I love Larry!!!!
And drummers! *oops*

Well, I became kinda aware of their existence somewhere around 1996, but didn't care much at all about them, although I remember hearing "Mysterious Ways" on the radio once or twice and thinking, that's a cool song. Anyway, because of my ignorance on the subject, I thought that "Mysterious Ways" would be on the "Greatest Hits 1980-90" collection (LOL!), so I bought it. Initially I was very disappointed because, surprise surprise, the song I wanted wasn't there, but I distinctly remember the way "Pride" and "Where the Streets..." sent a chill down my spine. At around that time, I also saw the band for the first time in the "Streets..." video on TV. I don't remember a lot of my first impression, except that I thought that Bono was kinda dorky and kinda ugly,
smile.gif

So, I was a semi-interested, casual sort of fan for a couple of years, until one night I decided to watch this U2 video marathon on TV which ran full-on for three or four hours. Well, during that viewing I completely reversed my opinion on Bono (hehe), and decided that U2 were definitely way more interesting than I originally imagined. Couple of months later, ATYCLB came out, and I a few weeks after I've bought it, I sort of realised that I've been playing it non-stop and was completely in love with it, and off my obsession went...

The first time I discovered U2 was when I was riding in the car with my friend Aaron and One came on the radio, and I was like "Oh i like this song, who sing it?" (This was like 3 yrs. ago) And Aaron kirked out and proceeded to give me an hour and a half U2 lesson on the way back from Memphis. We listened to Achtung the entire way! I've been hooked ever since!

Fishy <><

------------------
It's fascinating to think that all around us there's an invisible world we can't even see. I'm speaking, of course, of the World of the Invisible Scary Skeletons.

I liked U2 ever since I saw the Gloria video on MTV. I lived in a rural-ish area, so they weren't played on the radio. I bought Under a Blood Red Sky after seeing the SBS video (again, MTV), and played it til I wore out (and bought Boy, October, and War and wore them out, too). I bought all the rest of the albums as soon as they came out...

But the *addiction* didn't come until I was watching R&H on opening night with my college roommate. Please forgive me if I can't remember the song, but at one point, Bono, with his guitar slung behind him (Exit, maybe?), runs his hands up and down his body, eyes closed. My roommate and I looked at each other in total shock (giggle), and we were both completely hooked from that moment on. She eventually became an Adam fan (also liked Axl Rose and that guy from the Blow Monkeys... go figure), we drifted apart... But we had a kickASS room in college--U2 posters on every single surface, including the ceiling. I'll have to dig those pictures out and scan them.

So, I know I'm showing my age, here, but gang, that just proves that true love never fades.
smile.gif

---
You give it all but I want more
And I'm waiting for you

With or without you
With or without you
I can't live with or without you

Back
Top Bottom