How did PLEBAns first meet U2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I became U2 crazy with the War album and then seeing the videos and Red Rocks. I loved Bono's voice and thought he was the sexiest thing ever, the way he looked and the way he moved around. Oh, and I still think that too
wink.gif

It's hard to condense 20 years of being a fan. I liked U2 from the time I first heard them, around 1981. I especially loved the videos for "Gloria" and "New Year's Day," so I'd say MTV had a BIG hand in my enjoyment of the band. U2's performance at LiveAid was the best of the day/evening. I bought British singles, then I started collecting the albums with "The Unforgettable Fire."

My best friend Kathy liked U2 even more than I did, and was lucky enough to get tickets in the New York area. We went to shows at Pier84, what is now the Continental Arena in New Jersey, Madison Square Garden and ZooTV at Yankee Stadium. ZooTV was my favorite because of the venue; I am a big New York Yankees fan and it was a trip to see my favorite place used in another way. Of course, I was also thrilled to see U2 again!!!

"Achtung Baby" was my favorite album of the 90's. And I had the good fortune from '94 to '96 to share a workspace with a MAJOR U2 fan,and has met and talked with them all. We'd get all giddy when they were played on the radio, and even posted the infamous Bono/Liam Gallagher "kiss" photo on the wallspace between our desks! (I was a huge Oasis fan at the time, but I got tired of Liam's act a few years ago...)We still keep in touch, and she's one of my favorite people.

I loved ATYCLB from the get-go, and was thrilled when they won the 3 Grammys for it in '01 and the 4 in '02. I was extremely disappointed in not being able to attend any Elevation shows. Kathy called me well into the tour to suggest "We have to do a road trip. We have to see U2!" But there was no time to plan and get tickets...sigh...next time...!

So...I called my former workmate for our 2nd annual Post-Grammy Wrap-Up, in which we'd discuss U2's success and how good they looked and all. And that night, I started thinking "Ummm, Bono." Now, I'd had some "Ummm, Bono" thoughts during the prior six months, but I'd quickly remind myself that he was married and had 4 kids, then I'd go on to something else. Well...this time, the night after the Grammies, I just thought of him...and reminded myself he's taken...and thought of him...and told myself I was being ridiculous...and thought of him!

In the past month, I've been learning more about U2 than I had in the previous 20 years. I've seen them plenty on TV, what with Bono on C-SPAN2 and VH1 and all. And my Internet search for U2 websites led me to the Interference board...and PLEBA. PLEBA's like this great alternate universe, with the PLEBA Mansion stories and the pictures and all and this is now my favorite site on the Web.

I'm sorry that I was more of a casual fan for those 20 years than I am now, but better late than never!

Diane

Originally posted by Chrissie Clayton:
and he was watching MTV and Staring at the sun was on and I asked him who was this
band.

wow it all started for me with staring at the sun too. i was about 11 and my bro was a huge u2 fan. one day i went messing around with his cds, and i decided i liked the name staring at the sun so i put it on and fell in love and the rest is history.
biggrin.gif

------------------
i'm already gone, felt that way all along

u glorify the past while the future dries up.

For me, as an ape, it all started when I first came to the big city. First, I got an apartment. Inside, I found a box...a giant glass box! And when I would hit the control thing with the end of my banana, the box would come to life. I was mesmerized as sound surged out of the appliance. "It's a Beautiful Day!" shouted the box. I mimicked the singer in my skillful ape voice.
Then, suddenly, from another room, came a hairy primate, a human I later learned, in a bathrobe, interrupting my blissful interlude.
"What the bloody hell!?" he exclaimed, much to my surprise. I threw a banana at him and squawked in response. "ALI!" he said, "Call animal control! There's an ape in my new apartment here in New York!!"
But Ali did not come. For you see, my apey friends, he was alone in the apartment, but for me. The hairy man sighed, and offered me a bagel.
Eventually we established that the apartment was his. I felt shameful and angry, for I had been exposed as a mere squatter. But I still had a lot to learn about your human practices...
"Do you like beer?" he asked, too kind a soul to kick an ape out into the cold winter air.
I squawked in response, with a positive tone to my voice. He comprehended perfectly, and went to the kitchen and returned with some frosty brews.
His name, my new friends, was Bono. He was very lonely, in that ginormous, posh apartment. He told me his life story; I squawked mine in reply. He seemed, unlike so many others, to understand me.
"Would you like to be my helper ape, Gramps?" he asked. He was without the fatherly Edge, the motherly Ali, the no-nonsense Larry, the wise Paul McGuinness, or even the posh Adam to give him guidance. He needed someone to make his dinner, reply to some of his emails, do odd jobs for him, and pay his bills online.
"Yes!" I squawked. He smiled warmly. And that day, after I fixed the shower curtain rod and made breakfast, we got down to the business of writing songs. You see, dear humans, "wild honey" is the story of my one true love, grams magee. But she is no longer with us, and that story is for another time.
I thank you for reading my tale of how I became involved in the music of U2, and I look forward to becoming your apey friend.

*extends banana of friendship to other U2 fans*

------------------
"You might say I'm the 'top banana'!" ~ myself

I got into them because of MTV too. We didn't have good cable until 1984, so the first U2 video I saw was "PRIDE" the version with the castle and I thought Bono was really sexy! Then when the Joshua Tree broke, it was total love.

I'm so jealous of you all who have known U2 for such a long time! I feel like I missed the boat and there's so much good stuff I missed...
frown.gif

*sniff* Ah well, at least I get to read about it now, huh? That is something good
smile.gif

------------------
And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.

Originally posted by hippyactress:
I'm so jealous of you all who have known U2 for such a long time! I feel like I missed the boat and there's so much good stuff I missed...
frown.gif

*sniff* Ah well, at least I get to read about it now, huh? That is something good
smile.gif

AWWWWWW (((((hippy))))))

Don't feel bad, the important thing is that you like them now.
I always love it when a fan discovers something "new" about them. It's like I'm discovering it all over again too.

Ya know, we could ask Edge to invent a time machine, so everyone can go back and see what they missed
wink.gif

------------------

daisy.gif

*wink*

Daisy

I'm wide awake.....I'm not sleeping

Originally posted by GrampsMagee:
For me, as an ape, it all started when I first came to the big city. ...
*extends banana of friendship to other U2 fans*

lmao I love Bono and apes!

------------------
Laura
~~~
Something to do with politics, kids, freshness, and breakthrough.
And love.

(Joan Baez)
~~~

...what's a Bono?

Originally posted by hippyactress:
frown.gif

smile.gif

ditto twin.. but at least ya caught the next boat
wink.gif

------------------
~ALOTWU!~
"It never ceases to amaze me. Here, we have a man who claims professes to enjoy flower arranging, has no qualms over donning a skirt at any given time and, now we learn, prefers to use the ladies' restroom. And yet somehow he manages to embody all that is masculine and sexy. I don't know how he does it. " ~Gina, on Adam
Gina: WOOHOO!

I watched the super bowl halftime. I hrd of them b4 but tht made me relly get intrested in them.

i was about 15 when i got in to u2. my brother in law had their cd's and when i heard them i was hooked. before then if it wasnt guns n roses it was crap. now u2 is my church. in good times and in bad i turn to their music for inspiration. ive seen them live several times and nothing even comes close.

i will try to do a quick summary:

it was my older sister and brother who intro. to U2 back in the early 80's. I than saw the Gloria video on MTV and fell in love with them, I could not get enough of that video or their songs. I would steal my sister's War LP and try to learn New Years Day on piano. Then one rainy day i was watching Nickelodeon (lol) and low and behold the wonderful vision of Bono in tight Black jeans appeared before my eyes, and I was realized than I had enter puberty...lol.that was shortly followed by Live Aid and i was forever lost to U2 and all of their wonderful music and hotness. I missed them on the Joshua Tree tour and was highly upset, thank God for Rattle and Hum, that was the closest I was going to get to seeing them live until they toured again. My friend and I swore to each other that the next time they tour we will go see them, we kept that promise and I was able to see them for the first time my senior year in HS in 1993 during ZooTV.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
To pay my sister and brother back for intro. me to U2, I bought them tickets to go see Elevation in Nov.

I was 18 in 1984 and I had just started college. A girl on my floor was a fan from way back and she totally got me hooked on Boy and I had a total crush on Larry. She had met them several times and she said when they came around for the Unforgettable Fire tour she'd introduce me to them and that Larry and I would make a "perfect match" (I know this sounds psycho, but we were very young and stupid!!) Anyway, we went to see them at the Nassau Colleseum in April of 1985 and by the second song I had forgotten about Larry and it was all about Bono. We did go backstage (Steve Iredale, who is still with them, graciously let us in--I'll never forget him!)I got to talk with everyone except Larry, my love match (haha). Bono, Adam and Edge were --as it seems they always are!-- very kind, attentive but not the least bit cheesy or sleazy . Bono gave me a kiss (on the cheek), which was amazing of course.

Flash forward 16 years (and tons of concerts and U2 memories!) to last June. I was 8 months pregnant and taking my 3 year old son to the Swan Boats in Boston. My husband and brother were going to the Boston Elevation show, but I didn't want to go into labor in the Fleet Center so I couldn't make it! I walked over to the Four Seasons hotel and saw a bunch of people waiting for the band. My son (who is a huge fan!) was into it, so we hung out. They all came out and we got to say hi to everyone but Bono. It was very weird contrasting my young 80's coiffed self and UF-era U2 and with the older versions we had all become, but it was so great seeing them. Just as in 1985, they were totally nice (chatting with my son and asking me about my pregnancy--like i said--very weird!) Anyway, thanks for listening to an occasional lurker blab!

Originally posted by promenade:
I was 18 in 1984 and I had just started college. A girl on my floor was a fan from way back and she totally got me hooked on Boy and I had a total crush on Larry. She had met them several times and she said when they came around for the Unforgettable Fire tour she'd introduce me to them and that Larry and I would make a "perfect match" (I know this sounds psycho, but we were very young and stupid!!) Anyway, we went to see them at the Nassau Colleseum in April of 1985 and by the second song I had forgotten about Larry and it was all about Bono. We did go backstage (Steve Iredale, who is still with them, graciously let us in--I'll never forget him!)I got to talk with everyone except Larry, my love match (haha). Bono, Adam and Edge were --as it seems they always are!-- very kind, attentive but not the least bit cheesy or sleazy . Bono gave me a kiss (on the cheek), which was amazing of course.

Flash forward 16 years (and tons of concerts and U2 memories!) to last June. I was 8 months pregnant and taking my 3 year old son to the Swan Boats in Boston. My husband and brother were going to the Boston Elevation show, but I didn't want to go into labor in the Fleet Center so I couldn't make it! I walked over to the Four Seasons hotel and saw a bunch of people waiting for the band. My son (who is a huge fan!) was into it, so we hung out. They all came out and we got to say hi to everyone but Bono. It was very weird contrasting my young 80's coiffed self and UF-era U2 and with the older versions we had all become, but it was so great seeing them. Just as in 1985, they were totally nice (chatting with my son and asking me about my pregnancy--like i said--very weird!) Anyway, thanks for listening to an occasional lurker blab!

that is a great story! thanks for sharing and welcome to PLEBA.
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by promenade:
(chatting with my son and asking me about my pregnancy--like i said--very weird!)

Omygosh... They're so fuzzie inducing. XD That's a great fanship story...

------------------
Laura
~~~
Something to do with politics, kids, freshness, and breakthrough.
And love.

(Joan Baez)
~~~

...what's a Bono?

Back
Top Bottom