How big is your city?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Liesje

Blue Crack Addict
...and by big I mean populated. I don't really travel to cities a whole lot (usually state parks for camping) so I'm always interested in how big/populated the places are that people I know are from.

Go to www.areaconnect.com , click on your state, click on your city/town, then on the lower right hand side under ---- Statistics, click on the Population link and it will give you the 2000 Census info. (there's some other interesting stuff like crime level too)

Grand Rapids, MI = 197,800 (2000). The GR metro area (Holland to Muskegon for those that care) has over 1 million people.

edit: the closest population of a more "recognized" city than GR I could find so far is Richmond, VA at 197,790

Last edited:
ok, posting in one's own thread is kinda dumb, but Ellen and I think it's notable that it's safer to live in NYC than here in Grand Rapids. :ohmy:

Birmingham has about 350,000 metro, but we have many many suburbs, which are commonly considered part of the city in practice if not in theory, so that's about 650,000 total.

i live in moncton, new brunswick at the moment, unfortunately. :yuck: we've got about 120 000 people here. oh to be in a real city with real theatres and restaurants and actual bands playing near by...

I live in a suburb on the Minneapolis side of the Twin Cities. Since I spend just about as much time in St. Paul as I do in Minneapolis I consider myself from the Twin Cities, not just Minneapolis. But since "the Twin Cities" isn't really a city itself I decided to look up both. :eyebrow: There wasn't anything for St. Paul statistics, which is odd since it's the capital of MN.

This is the population of just Minneapolis: 382,618. I don't think it's accurate of where I live and it's probably just the actual city of Minneapolis. I don't think it includes the suburbs so I'd probably double that number. :shrug:

Wilmington, NC
Total Population: 75838 <-- This must refer to ONLY the population within the city limit. I imagine it'd be closer to 90K if you consider the surrounding 'burbs.

Male Population: 35397
Female Population: 40441

Median Age: 34 (Yaaay - I'm average! :lol: )
Average Household Size: 2.1 (".1"????? Surely my puppies count as at least .5 of a household member!)

Last edited:
* The population of the Norwich Travel to Work Area is 367,035
* In 2001, the City Council area's resident population was 121,700
* Norwich is the fourth most densely populated Local Authority District within the Eastern Region with 3,179 people per square kilometre (8,241 per square mile).

West Lafayette, IN
population: 28778
Median age: 22

...west lafayette is almost exclusively Purdue students, if you include Lafayette
Lafayette Population: 56397
median age: 32

and, just because, here's home home
Mishawaka Population: 46557

Richmond sure has shrunk in population over he last 20 years it used to have over 250,000!

I'm scared, when I clicked on my city and put in my name in the yellow pages thing my address came up :yikes: Hope a killer doesn't see it!

2001 Population: 634892

The saddest thing is that Alaska ranks the highest in the rape and murder on women. Scary. But it's really not that bad, these are isolated incidents mostly. :sad:

São Paulo

Founding : 1554
Population: 9.968.485
Area : 1.528,5 km²

São Paulo is a big city

:wave:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom