HOTLINKING - all PLEBA members please read!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2Girl1978 said:
No, ydw, you aren't hotlinking if you quote pics. But if someone, posted a pic and you right clicked on it and saved it to your desktop without putting it in photobucket or any other pic sites and you put the pic in another post then that's hotlinking.

Urghhh... Am I making sense? :huh: :|

okay, disregard what I just asked---i should've went through the whole thread...
so, my apologies for committing such a heinous act... like I said, i've no clue what i'm doing computer-wise half the time so....:angel:

forgive me, o please forgive me... :bow:

Bonochick said:

Saving a picture to your desktop isn't hotlinking. That doesn't use up any bandwidth. Once a picture is saved on your computer, all it is doing is using up space on your computer.

once more, shoulda just kept on reading....

so disregard the TWO previous posts, I did not commit a heinous act :dancing:

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
What granny said ^

Also, here's a quick lesson on "bandwidth" for those who might know what to do, but not why it matters.....

When you have a website, you really have two things: first, you buy the domain. Then, you either use your own webserver, or buy space on someone else's server to host the actual site. Sort of like when you buy a house, you still have to pay the property taxes and utilities.

Bandwidth = The amount of data that can be transmitted in a fixed amount of time. When you buy the hosting plan for your sites (the second part desribed above), part of this is bandwidth. Most plans have a bandwidth quota, meaning, only a certain amount of data can be transfered over your domain in a month. So, I own www.alihewson.com and I have a large photo gallery. Everytime someone loads that gallery, data is being transfered because those pics are being downloaded. Hotlinking means instead of saving it to your OWN domain and using your OWN bandwidth that comes w/ your hosting plan, you're using the images as they exist on MY domain. So everytime someone opens the thread and that image loads, data is being transfered over my domain and my bandwidth is getting closer to quota.

For free sites like Snapfish, Webshots, and Photobucket, you're not paying for hosting plans or the domain, they're giving you free access to a certain amount of space on their domain. Other free sites like Geocities and Angelfire have hotlinking disabled in order to cut down on stealing bandwidth.

So back to the house analogy - say I had guests over to my house...since they were invited to stay with me, I don't care if they use my water and electricity while they're in my house. "Stealing bandwidth" would be like if my neighbor came in and then ran extension cords to HIS house and used MY electricity outside of my home without my invitation.

Make sense?

See? that's all I needed to understand--a very good analogy, Thanks!!
Sorry for so many darn posts in a row....

Not sure where the photo thread went so i am just gonna try this here!

u2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom