Hey, Kelly Ahern

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm okay :hug:

I may be stuck at work for a few days, but I'll be okay :) We're pretty far inland.

The rec center where I work is being used as a shelter for "city employees and their families" and all of the recreation staff get to man the facility and work through the storm, yippee :| I go in to work at 9 a.m. tomorrow, so at least I get to sleep in maybe :lol:

I don't know what we're gonna do, emergency volleyball game maybe :lol:

Thanks for asking :hug:

ooo, I just saw one of the county guys I know on TV :)

Last edited:
Glad to hear you're okay. My aunt lives in Wilmington, NC and has had to evacuate many times. I've never dealt with a hurricane just earthquakes.:ohmy:

Last edited:
Kelly - glad to hear that you are safe - I have a friend in Brandon that had to evacuate
Stay safe!

Glad to hear that you're okay! Hurricanes are pretty scary. My step-grandparents are up here from Daytona Bch right now, and they are, of course, really worried about their family. I don't blame them.

I hope you make it through the rest of the storm all right! :hug:

Thanks guys :hug:

I went into work this morning, with all my stuff they told me to bring because we might be there 3 days. After I unloaded the stuff, they say, "Um, we don't need you right now, so you can go home. But leave your stuff here and stay by a phone so we can reach you if we need you to come it later."

Oooookay :scratch:

I guess they figured since I live so close, there's no sense in paying me to be there when they can just call me in later :lol:

So far no bad weather yet, but we're supposed to start feeling the first effects around noon I think.

I had no idea there was a hurricane over there! I guess I have to read the newspapers more often! ;)

No, seriously. I'm really glad you are ok, Kel! Otherwise, who's gonna provide us with tons of cool pics? :hug:

Oh take care, Kelly! :hug: If we don't see you we'll know the power went out, but I hope it doesn't! Hurricanes suck! I had no power for days because of Isabel. We are going to get the after effects of this one I hear, six inches or more of torrential rain over the weekend :scream: after my mudhole yard finally dried out after Alex :banghead:

Stay safe tonight! :wave:

Stay safe Kelly! I'm not that far away in Birmingham. Our weather is nice, thank goodness. I'm sure we'll get storms when the hurricanes start hitting our part of the Gulf Coast. :scream: :scream: :censored: :censored: :censored:

Niamh_Saoirse said:
I had no idea there was a hurricane over there!

:ohmy: I didn't hear of it either! I hasn't been in the news here yet - the journalists here are too occupied with the fact that more and more of the population is getting older and older and need more money... which the state doesn't have! :shrug:

But Kelly, you take really good care of yourself, ok?! Don't want you to get hurt or anything!!! :hug: Let us know how it goes... :yes:

Sidenote: We had the worst weather here today with several centimetre rain comming down in few minutes - the streets almost turned into little rivers... and I was out in the the worst of it - waiting for the bus! :huh: I got completely soaked and very cold :grumpy: I'm so glad we never have hurricanes here!

RocknRollKitty said:
Actually we've got DOUBLE hurricanes coming, Bonnie and Charlie :down:

:ohmy: :yikes: That does not sound very nice! :no:

Please, everybody, take good care of yourself!

RocknRollKitty said:
They should have called them Bonnie and Clyde because they're so much trouble :huh:

:lol: Yeah, I guess that would be more appropriate... :uhoh:

U2Kitten said:
Oh take care, Kelly! :hug: If we don't see you we'll know the power went out, but I hope it doesn't! Hurricanes suck! I had no power for days because of Isabel. We are going to get the after effects of this one I hear, six inches or more of torrential rain over the weekend :scream: after my mudhole yard finally dried out after Alex :banghead:

Stay safe tonight! :wave:

Isabel! :no: Don't remind me of that one. I made a huge mistake in thinking there was no way she would come this far north (I'm outside of Washington DC). No power for over a week, no real food (made do with what little can goods I had) and because I had essentially ignored all the warnings, I had to triple boil water for a week. All my own fauly, except for the power outage.

It was an adventure, but I don't think I want to repeat it anytime soon. Needless to say, I'm prepared for whatever Charlie may or may not do up here.

ylimeU2 said:

Isabel! :no: Don't remind me of that one. I made a huge mistake in thinking there was no way she would come this far north (I'm outside of Washington DC). No power for over a week, no real food (made do with what little can goods I had) and because I had essentially ignored all the warnings, I had to triple boil water for a week. All my own fauly, except for the power outage.

It was an adventure, but I don't think I want to repeat it anytime soon. Needless to say, I'm prepared for whatever Charlie may or may not do up here.

I know what you mean! There had been so many 'false alarms' and overractions to past hurricanes it became like the boy who cried wolf. When the people started stocking up on batteries and water and canned goods I only laughed, yeah right, this one will blow over and out to sea like all the rest. Even when the storm was scarier than I thought and the electric went out, I still expected it to come back any minute. It was five days! Miserable and hot! Even most stores didn't have power, it was like a war zone! Everything in my fridge went :barf: I got so sick of canned spam and peanut butter I don't think I can touch it to this day. My husband was worse than the kids about not having any TV or AC. We finally went to a motel way out in the mountains in a town that had not been hit and stayed 2 days. When we came back it was still not on for another day. I didn't want to evacuate because of all my stuff and my cats I couldn't take with me, but if another one comes I will be better prepared in case of a long haul of no power again. Though I have always been a negative person, I did come to take the warnings lightly because nothing had ever happened. But I won't anymore.

How goes it, Kelly? My grandma's place is near Naples and looks like it took a direct hit instead of the Tampa area. I guess what's done is done, but her place down there isn't insured so we'll hope for the best. Now my bf's brother might have to flee b/c he lives in North Carolina near the coast. And my cousins live in Virginia, but it looks like the storm won't have much left by the time it reaches that area.

Yes, I think we dodged another bullet here in Tampa, but I'm sorry about your Grandma's place :(

Actually, they did call me back to work a few minutes after my last post and I did, um not much actually. I put ice in cups and poured some soda for the Public Works and other staff. The we sat around, ate lunch, sat around some more, ate dinner. Then they let us go home just as the weather was starting to get bad. :shrug: It's a little windy here, but not bad.

I hope everyone else is okay. :hug:

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
How goes it, Kelly? My grandma's place is near Naples and looks like it took a direct hit instead of the Tampa area. I guess what's done is done, but her place down there isn't insured so we'll hope for the best. Now my bf's brother might have to flee b/c he lives in North Carolina near the coast. And my cousins live in Virginia, but it looks like the storm won't have much left by the time it reaches that area.

I'm glad to see you still have your power and phone and it's over for you Kelly! :) :hug:

LivLuv, as you know I live near your cousins and not far from your bf and right now we have almost nothing. It was raining all day but right now it's almost cleared up (still wet and muddy though :mad: ) But they say we will get the remnants tommorrow in the form of long hard rain. It shouldn't be anything worse than a bad thunderstorm but I am not looking forward to being wet. Well we'll find out tommorrow!

Glad to hear you didn't get hit too badly, Kelly. How high did the winds get? I think I saw around 80 in the Tampa area on the Weather Channel. Does that sound right?

It's just starting to rain here. I think that is what's left of Bonnie and the rest of it should hit here Sunday evening/night.

Last edited:
It passed through, rained like hell, flooded out the road, but it's over now and I didn't lose power or phone!

Gosh, I'm glad everyone is OK! I was out of town at a motel in Cullman, a small town near Birmingham, yesterday morning and was watching the weather station in the motel restaurant at breakfast. It showed the storms. They were nasty! When the storms hit the Gulf Coast we're going to get nasty rainstorms in Birmingham. I'm not looking forward to that. :scream: :censored: :censored: :censored:

Back
Top Bottom