Help with irish!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wildhoney88565

The Fly
Hey all!
I was wondering if you can help me, I want to go to Ireland and i want to know the "lingo", you know like what is Craick?, ive seen people spell it crack aswell..im not sure.
So any useful irish phrases I can use or just understand would be appreciated please!!!

Craic is an Irish term referring to times of good fun. It's always amusing to go around saying things like "That was some great craic" and have people think you're talking about doing drugs :lol:

:madwife: ".... dreadful face(s) of Bono and ....." :madspit:
I know that site didn't just call B ugly!!! :twosnapsinacircle:

Wankers. :giggle:

lmao i just read it xD
Thanks for the link but its basically how i speak now lol...or how anyone british speaks...basically its how to sound british for americans xD
lmao
oh funny

wildhoney88565 said:
lmao i just read it xD
Thanks for the link but its basically how i speak now lol...or how anyone british speaks...basically its how to sound british for americans xD
lmao
oh funny

Was just going to say that - a lot of these terms are very much Scottish, but then we are just a stone's throw from Ireland :)

Whats the craic ?

a friend askes me that ..he refers to it like saying whats going on..

i only know northside dublin lingo. people greet one another by saying "story?" lol they got a kick out of it when i said "sup?"
also, an exclamation they often say is "jaynie mac!" or just "jaynie"

...thats all i can remember right now.

The Fiddler said:

Was just going to say that - a lot of these terms are very much Scottish, but then we are just a stone's throw from Ireland :)

According to Billy Connelly Scotland is a colony from Ireland :lol: So maybe thats why the lingo is so much alike :wink:

But If you look at the history off both countries, they were Alies during the time of William Wallace and all the rest of it, so maybe thats why they are so much alike :shrug:

Anyoone kno any kind of welsh-irish history? id like to think my little country get on well
"Aye up the celts! lol"

Cool thread! And since we're on the topic, I have a word I want to add - what does 'punt' or 'punter' mean? I'm really into British detective novels and I see this word used all the time in really different contexts. I've seen it used to describe football players, rowing a boat, gambling - does it have more than one meaning?

wildhoney88565 said:
Anyoone kno any kind of welsh-irish history? id like to think my little country get on well
"Aye up the celts! lol"

Im sure you could ask your History teacher, but as i said during the time of william wallace It was the English and the Welsh vs The Scottish and the Irish. Some people still see it like that today, but im sure its not

From what I was told, by my father who visited Wales a loooooong time ago, some Welsh people are still very hostile towards English people (something about colonisation and such)... but I'm sure that most of the younger ones aren't. :)

There's an Australian film called The Craic, it's about some Irish guys (including Jimeoin!!) who are on the run here from Immigration (and also some unpleasant other guys). It's a cool film. :D Bud Tingwell is awesome.... "F:censored:in' crows!! *BLAM*

A colloquial British use of the word "punter" can mean any random average person, I think. That's how I saw it used when I used to watch The Bill, anyway.
"To punt" is to push along a barge with a pole, or to gamble, or to kick a football.

English is a bizarre language. I'm glad I never had to learn it as an adult! :huh:

Ralphie said:
Cool thread! And since we're on the topic, I have a word I want to add - what does 'punt' or 'punter' mean? I'm really into British detective novels and I see this word used all the time in really different contexts. I've seen it used to describe football players, rowing a boat, gambling - does it have more than one meaning?

Ok, a punter is some ordinary person, a member of the public, someone in the audience, customer etc. Also someone who gambles.

A punt is a rowing boat and apparently some kind of Irish coin although I thought it was euros these days? :confused: Dunno, not sure.

Anyway, hope this helps.

youvedonewhat said:

Ok, a punter is some ordinary person, a member of the public, someone in the audience, customer etc. Also someone who gambles.

A punt is a rowing boat and apparently some kind of Irish coin although I thought it was euros these days? :confused: Dunno, not sure.

Anyway, hope this helps.

Yeah, the punt was the currency of the ROI before the Euro took over (was literally the 'pound', similar to Great Britain).

Right! Irish colloquialisms 101! It's time for me to pretend that I am all-knowing, and will keep up such pretences for as long as possible!

The most common terms you will come across (IMO, and trust me, I'm Irish ;)) are these:

'Craic': A really flexible term, generally means good time etc. But 'what's the craic?' is, as quite rightly said, used to ask, 'What's new with you?' or something along those lines.

If you get into any kind of conversation, it's inevitable that 'yer man/woman' will crop up. It's just a term that's used to refer to a person whose name the speaker can't remember (often, on this board, used to refer to Bono!). Can also be followed by the name or surname of the person who they're referring to, in which case the term's just used for emphasis. eg. 'You heard what happened to yer man Mc Guinness last night?' And so on, and so forth...

'Eejit': It's not a harsh word really (don't listen to that site!). It's actually a very endering way of calling someone an idiot or fool. I say it to my friends all the time (along the lines of, 'Aw, you eejit!' if they've done something laughably stupid). Word of advice, never say it to a stranger. It does tend to take on a less affectionate form if it's used with someone you don't know!

'The Black Stuff': Guinness. Easy enough, but much more simple just to say Guinness if you're ordering it at the bar.

'Aye': Generally sarcastic intonation (e.g. 'Aye right, away on!' - meaning, very emphatically, that the speaker does not believe the person they're speaking to). Can often be used to mean 'yes', though.

If you want any more, there are plenty of sites on the web (I'd post one that I think is very good, but my post count's too small!) so just Google 'Irish slang'.

In case you come across the term 'culchie' on your travels, it's advised you don't use it. It's a pretty derogatory term used to describe country folk, and, like 'eejit', is only ever unoffensive between friends.

All that's probably more than you need to know, but I thought my apparently abundant knowledge of colloquialisms might as well be put to use. And seeing as my job here is done, I'll just retreat back into my lurking habits. Hope you found some use out of this!

Back
Top Bottom