Help w/ U2 creative project

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Liesje

Blue Crack Addict
I got a new laptop and I want to get a skin for it to protect it. The skin sites allow you to upload your own image.

I found these two Elvis skins I like, but ideally I want something along these lines w/ Bono or a Bono silhouette.

laptop_default37918.jpg

laptop_default37584.jpg

I like the pink one b/c I prefer the solid background, but I like the silhouette idea. I also love stills from the iPod ad, but I like my Bono w/ a little shorter hair, so if that could be recreated using a different silhouette, that would work.

Anyway, if anyone can make something like this and I use it, I will give you some kind of prize (to be determined). It has to be a hi-res image for it to work. My computer is black and silver (HP dv2000). The only colors I don't particularly like are purple and orange.

So, if anyone wants to have a go, or even post some great hi-res photos of Bono onstage, that would be awesome!!

Galeongirl said:
I can change the pic into the style of the above if you have a hi res you like :)

:drool: OK, I'll have to find one. I might just pick one of my own since I have the high res copies and then I'm not stealing someone else's, but I have another in mind.

I'll find them and post them....

That is a great site Edge89!:drool:
Lies here is a pic I took in Hawaii of Bono's shadow on the big screen.
bonads9338cn8.jpg

However if you want a "one of a kind" GG can make just about anything you like.

Good luck with your project:up:

It's a pretty simple effect to do (well, depending on the picture used), it's basically just a matter of outlining the figure using the freehand selection tool, filling it out in black, and filling the background out in a colour (well, there's a little bit more to it than that, but those are the basics):

bonogreen1wi3.png

This other version, is more of a "shadow" version, which takes a little bit more work, but provides a nice effect:

bonogreenrs4.png

These I just whipped up in about 15 minutes or so :shrug: I could make more specific ones if you had a particular photo and colour in mind.

EDIT: Oops, I should probably read a thread all the way before I post in it. Looks like GG already beat me to the offer :wink:

Last edited:
DreamOutLoud13 said:
It's a pretty simple effect to do (well, depending on the picture used), it's basically just a matter of outlining the figure using the freehand selection tool, filling it out in black, and filling the background out in a colour (well, there's a little bit more to it than that, but those are the basics):

This other version, is more of a "shadow" version, which takes a little bit more work, but provides a nice effect:

bonogreenrs4.png

These I just whipped up in about 15 minutes or so :shrug: I could make more specific ones if you had a particular photo and colour in mind.

EDIT: Oops, I should probably read a thread all the way before I post in it. Looks like GG already beat me to the offer :wink:

:shocked: :love:

That's right on track! What program do you use? Is there any chance making that in a bigger size? It won't print right unless it's at least the size of the computer (14.1" widescreen").

So, you could do that with any photo and color I choose?

Liesje said:

That's right on track! What program do you use? Is there any chance making that in a bigger size? It won't print right unless it's at least the size of the computer (14.1" widescreen").

yea as she said, it's pretty easy..
I use Photoshop, and with it you can cut out the figure from the background... and just change the background colour to any you like, or just paste it on a background of the colour you like... and you can make itr black by lowering the brightness, but to get the shadowy effect you just need to half the brightness instead of putting it to zero... :)

and If you give me the exact measurements of the size you need, I can cut it... doesn't matter whether it are cms, inches or pixels :)

Liesje said:

I use Paint Shop Pro, but it goes just about like how GG said with Photoshop. Basically you just outline Bono's figure (I use the freehand selection tool aka the lasso for this) then I paste it onto a seperate layer (feathering the edge by a pixel or two, for smoothness). Then it's just a matter of darkening the top layer and floodfilling the bottom layer with a solid colour.
But for my shadow effect, I go a step farther. It's actually three layers. There's an effect in PSP called Threshold (in PSP 7, it's through the Colors menu: Colors > Adjust > Threshold). This turns the image to just two colours: black, and white. All the dark areas become solid black, all the light areas become solid white.
I apply threshold to Bono's figure on the second layer, then hit copy. Then I hit undo and revert the image back to how it was. Next I add a third layer, paste as a transparent selection (that's in the paste menu), first making sure that I have the background colour in my palette set to white. This way, anything white in what I'm pasting, will become transparent, and only the black areas will end up being pasted.
Then I go back down to the second layer and colourize it to match the solid colour background (in this case, green), and darken it some. After that it's basically done except for maybe some softening around the edges and touchups.

Making it bigger is just a matter of having a bigger photo though. I'm a bit lacking (and sadly so) in awesome high-res PopMart photos.

Back
Top Bottom