HELP!!! I want to go to Dublin.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrs.Clayton

Refugee
Oh Girls, I need your opinions and advice. I have been saving money for about 3 years now, for no specific reason. Originally it was funds to go back to college, but that won't happen for awhile. About a month ago,I made a list of things I wanted to do by the time I hit 30, going to Britain and Ireland was #1 on that list. I realized that it might be easier than I thought, since I already had most of the money saved. So I approach the parents with this theory, and they give me all sorts of reasons why I should not travel abroad. New car, college, move out, save for later.
I feel like this is the perfect time for me to do something like this. I have no husband, no children, no serious career to keep me down, no schoolwork I would miss.
No one agrees with me in my house.
What do you think???
I've never met anyone who traveled abroad and didn't enjoy it.
I need all sorts of advice and opinions, especially if you've traveled far away(even if you haven't)
Oh please help me,
Mrs.Clayton

DOOOOOOOOOO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's as fun as fun can get
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
I'm going to Rub a Dub and the rest of the Uk in the summer
smile.gif
I've been to Europe 2 times and both times I didn't want to come back...that's how kewl it is...*huuuuuuuuuuugs*

------------------
The U2 revolution has been reinstated.

THE Larry Mullen Jr Page

*Carries picture of Larry in her wallet* (Sad but true)

clarityat3am: Buy our booooos Discobooooos!
MG: Edge can really get his groove on. Look at him go!

Go to Dublin.

Traveling is what keeps me sane, and Dublin is a beautiful, safe city. I go to ireland almost every summer to visit my husband's fammily, and I love it there. You will, too.

Go to Dublin.

I think all those reasons your parents/friends stated are valid, but I think it is very important for the soul to get out there and see the world. I mean, you can always get a car later. And you get around without a car....life is too short.

Go to Dublin.

You will always want to, so why not do it now when you have the time and the money? Sometime later in life you might not have this freedom!!

Go to Dublin.

This message brought to you courtesy of Bord Failte.

Step 1: Get a passport.
I'm picking up the application today.
Step 2: Find someone to go with.
This is the next problem I face...

Keep the advice coming!

Adam_81_October_era.jpg

ADAM: If you don't come to Dublin, I'm growing back the fro.

------------------
Jessica

"I turn slightly and catch Bono with half a Perrier bottle in his mouth. He's sucking the thing in such a manner it would put Madonna to shame!"

"I'm very secure with the fact that I'm not black. I'm white, pink and rosy. But I've got soul."
--Bono

?We make music you can have sex to.?
--Bono

"Girls boys listen me kiss love fun drink sick kiss cuddle sex swim sea rock and rub." (from the gates of Bono's house)

No ifs ands or buts about it. Go! Travel is easier than you would think. I just did 2 months in Europe for about $3000 and I wouldn't trade my memories for all the job stability, cars, and college in the world. If you need any advice on cheap travelling, feel free to ask.
biggrin.gif

Here's another picture push. all photos taken by me.
smile.gif

The green green hills of Ireland
3334%3A37523232%7Ffp36%3Dot%3E2325%3D623%3D587%3DXROQDF%3E2323253829735ot1lsi

The lovely beach in front of some famous rock star's house.
wink.gif

3334%3A37523232%7Ffp36%3Dot%3E2325%3D623%3D587%3DXROQDF%3E23232538296%3C3ot1lsi

The cozy countryside of England
3334%3A37523232%7Ffp7%3Enu%3D3234%3E532%3E496%3E448%3C4%3Ca33444235%3E23232844585%3C5otb3%3B2gi1lsi

You can't miss Scotland.
3334%3A37523232%7Ffp7%3Enu%3D3234%3E532%3E496%3E448%3C4%3Ca33444235%3E2323284458644otb3%3B2gi1lsi

-sula

p.s. Don't fret too much about travelling alone. It's really quite easy and especially if you're in an English-speaking country.

------------------
~I want to play the guitar very badly, and I do play the guitar very badly - Bono~

Take a virtual tour of U2's Dublin... Crzy4Bono's U2 page with some of Sula's Dublin pic's

Sula's Europe and U2 Concert Pics

Ik ben een vrouw, hoor mij eens brullen!!

OMD (as some say here !)
It sounds as though we have a few things in common.......
biggrin.gif

I have wanted to go to Dublin since I was about 14 !!!!
Also I don't have a very supportive family when it comes to travel abroad......
I also don't have a husband or children telling me what to do !!!!
wink.gif

I think that maybe I'm a little apprehensive because I've never travelled outside of the country and I feed off of my family's vibe....
I think we should both go !!!
I also have told myself I'd get there before 30....I'll be 29 this March....times a wastin'.....
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

e-mail me sometime if you want, maybe we can encourage each other !!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

fxxamm@aol.com

Dublin is soo great..i love it there, i feel so privilaged only living 2 and a hlaf hours away from dublin

next tuesday *coughcoughimtakingthedayofschoolcough* and getting the bus to dublin with my friend so she can meet some guy from Stargate and she bribed me into going be saying she might meet Larry....so i HAVE to go now...

But im sorry i wouldnt say Dublin is a safe place, be careful with your belongings if you go
biggrin.gif

Hummmm...someone who lives in Ireland.
Why is Dublin not safe?
Is the whole country not safe?
Fill me in.

ireland is safe but dublin well its a huge city, you're at risk from getting things like money stolen from you..just be careful that you keep valuables @ home and money well hidden. But I love living in Ireland i just dont like Belfast cus i live here and Dublin is sooo much better, you would really enjoy it if u came
biggrin.gif

OK, more questions...
If I want to hit Scotland, Wales, and Ireland, and not feel rushed, how long should I plan on being there? I know that unless I live there, I'll never see everything. I'm planning on skipping London, I'd rather spend time and money on other places. Originally I thought no less than three weeks, is that about right?
All of you have been so helpful, I'll probably keep bugging everyone until I actually go. I don't know anyone who has gone, so I must turn to my internet friends.
Oh, and I was planning on going off-season, October. What do you all think of that?

Count me in too. I'm mentally planning my trip for summer this year and really hope it works out. I'd love to go for St. Patricks day but don't think I'll have the money by then. So I'm thinking summer as well, and I hope a certain band might have a date in Ireland or England while I'm there! ( waiting to plan trip's specific dates until I heard more on this little tidbit)...

I think Dublin is safe, I haven't been there but I think it's as safe as any other large city , right ???

a week in each place would be perfect, a week in dublin means you have plenty of time to walk about (we walk loads when we go there) and see all the tourist type places
biggrin.gif

Lets be honest....its always cold here but we've had a realy mild winter, best times to come are around Febuary (to celebrate St.Patricks Day on 17th Feb in Dublin always something big happens) July/ August (Summer
biggrin.gif
) or Christmas and New Year, i prefer going in Dec b/c there is a busy atmosphere its great
biggrin.gif

Definitely go off-season (anytime after the first days in September)...you'll get better airfare rates, places of interest will be less crowded, and you will have the luxury of making your itinerary up as you go rather than be in a set one because of limited hotel/hostel accomodations. Also, check out Icelandair. They run specials on airfare to most cities in Europe and you can stop over in Iceland for free. Sign up for their weekly deals.

I've only been in Dublin when I was in Ireland, and I'd give yourself maybe a week...possibly a bit less to see everything there. You'll want to go to Bono's house and find Edge's house. Also go find their studio at Hanover Quai and make sure to visit the HotPress Irish Music Hall of Fame...lots of U2 goodies there. I've heard Galway is really beautiful...but AM could tell you more about that.

I spent about five hours in London and found that to be quite enough. lol. Enough to see Big Ben, Picadilly Circus, Westminster Abbey, and London Bridge. Quite frankly, I had better things to spend my money on, and I have heard from most sources that London is expensive! English countryside...I only was in Staffordshire, Derbyshire, and Cheshire. Loved my time there as I was staying with a friend and he had a car and could show me round.
smile.gif

I adored Scotland. Make sure to visit Edinburgh and Glasgow (I have some names of good hostels if you want), and also make sure to get up north to Stirling and then up to the Highlands. I just went to the Western Highlands because I had a limited amount of days and could only travel by train. They were awesome!

3334%3A44723232%7Ffp7%3Enu%3D3234%3E532%3E496%3E448%3C4%3Ca33444235%3E2323284458642otb3%3B2gi1lsi

Speaking of cars and trains...you'll want to decide how to get about. I personally dig trains, but cars will give you more flexibility. Also, trains are expensive in the UK (and usually late) so you may do better renting a car.

Finally, just make sure to leave your schedule open enough to allow for things to go wrong. That's half the fun of travel. Being flexible and seeing what happens! You may end up going to a Scottish ceilidh and dancing the night away with strangers that you just met hours ago at your hostel. You might have a nice chat with little old ladies in the tea parlor at the seaside.
biggrin.gif
Soak it all in! Travelling is like life accellerated and magnified. It's my personal drug of choice.
wink.gif

-sula

p.s. Invest in a good pair of walking shoes that aren't tennis shoes and start breaking them in NOW.

i cant wait im goin on friday with UV2002 and i plan to get very very sloshed
biggrin.gif

------------------
"was she askin for it,was she askin nice ,if she was askin for it,did she ask you twice"

You all have made me so very happy, I have this goofy grin on my face! Everyone's advice I am taking to heart, you all are the inspiration I need.
I feel so pumped up, I wish I was going now.

I say we make it a PLEBA field trip, it's about damn time.

Originally posted by Mrs.Clayton:
Hummmm...someone who lives in Ireland.
Why is Dublin not safe?
Is the whole country not safe?
Fill me in.

It is as safe as any city, in my opinion. I vacationed in Derry and Belfast this summer and felt perfectly safe.

Go for it. There are loads of cheap places to stay in Dublin. You can get flights there from England from less than ?25 return and if you wanted you wouldn't have to stay in a hotel/hostel in England. I could put you up and that way it would save costs for you. Dublin is a beautiful place. I'm going AGAIN in 2 days
smile.gif
can't wait. it is the most amazing place
smile.gif
You really have to go. Also if you want to stay at mine in England and you want to see castles and 900 and odd year old cathedrals and stuff like that (some people do especially Americans because there aren't any in the USA) but if that interests you there are loads in the local area.

I am glad to see I am not the only one who has made these lists to do while I am single and before I turn 30. I have been wanting to travel over seas to visit Ireland, UK and Spain for years now. My co-worker has told me that she really wants to travel to these places this summer with me, but I am not sure if she can afford it. I will be out of work for a while after March 31 and I figured that the time for me to actually obtain one of my goals has now presented itself. I have already knocked one of my goals off of my list by going skiing for the first time. (i did that this past week). I was so happy and thought to myself during my plane ride home that I have got to go to Europe this year to achieve the rest of my traveling goals. I too have to find a traveling partner. Maybe us PLEBANS who want to travel overseas but not by ourselves should consider hooking up for travel? Seriously...we already have two things in common...U2 and travel.
smile.gif

AHHHHHHHHH!!!!
I'm getting shot down in my own home.
Now my sister is pulling the "you don't have the money to do this, and if you do it would be a total waste of time and money"
That's it, all the support I have is from you PLEBA sisters, strangers yes, but at least we are all on the same page.
Maybe we need to have a support group of our own.
If anyone wants to rant with me,
magenak@hotmail.com
Mrs.Clayton

AHHHHHHHHH!!!!
Now my sister is pulling the "you don't have the money to do this, and if you do it would be a total waste of time and money"

how can this be a waste of time and money?
Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:

The green green hills of Ireland
3334%3A37523232%7Ffp36%3Dot%3E2325%3D623%3D587%3DXROQDF%3E2323253829735ot1lsi

The lovely beach in front of some famous rock star's house.
wink.gif

3334%3A37523232%7Ffp36%3Dot%3E2325%3D623%3D587%3DXROQDF%3E23232538296%3C3ot1lsi

The cozy countryside of England
3334%3A37523232%7Ffp7%3Enu%3D3234%3E532%3E496%3E448%3C4%3Ca33444235%3E23232844585%3C5otb3%3B2gi1lsi

You can't miss Scotland.
3334%3A37523232%7Ffp7%3Enu%3D3234%3E532%3E496%3E448%3C4%3Ca33444235%3E2323284458644otb3%3B2gi1lsi

you picking up your passport application has reminded me that I need to get my passport renewed.
wink.gif

Oh, you're on your way! You HAVE to have an adventure while your're young. Best way to travel, I think, which is what I did, is with a backpack, and just explore the whole country. You can get a transit pass in Ireland and travel cheaply around there for a period of time. Hostels and B&B's abound, very cheap and clean, you'll meet lots of fellow travellers, too. Get a good touring book to help plan out where you want to go (but be prepared to change plans!) A fun way to get to Ireland is by ferry, if you plan to visit England, too. Okay, go go go.

Step 1: Get a passport.
I'm picking up the application today.
Step 2: Find someone to go with.
This is the next problem I face...

Keep the advice coming!

book your flight with Icelandair, cause then you can stop for 3 nights in Iceland for free and visit MEEEE!!!!!

I?ll show you all the cool places, promise!

You really should go, girl, especially while you don?t have a family on your own. Once you have kids and husband it soooo much harder

------------------
"The bass player's got it. The bass player's fucking got it." Bono, Boston 6-9-01

GO NOW, WHILE YOU HAVE THE CHANCE!!! Did I make myself clear?
smile.gif
Don't wait and say you will do later. If you wait until you have the car, finish school, establish a career, save more money, etc, one day you will wake up at 35 (my age) and ask yourself why you didn't travel when you were young and had your freedom. Don't get me wrong, I adore my husband and kids but its just so much harder to do any kind of traveling until your kids are grown. Just trying to work out the logistics of going to Vegas for U2 was a major deal for me. I got married at 18 and had two kids before I was 21. I'm only now starting to do all the things you have the opportunity to do right now. Go to Dublin and any other place your heart desires, you won't regret it. I understand where your parents are coming from but it is your life. GO GO GO!!! Send me a postcard!

AHHHHHHHHH!!!!

don?t listen to them. just GO GO GO GO GO GO GO GO GO GO GO GO GO GO GO GO GO!!!!!

------------------
"The bass player's got it. The bass player's fucking got it." Bono, Boston 6-9-01

Dublin Dublin Dublin.....I went last summer and was ready to go back the minute I got on the Plane to come back to the US. My feelings are if you want to go and have the money to go, then go. You only live once and who knows what tomorrow brings. It will give you another entire perspective on life and that is far more valuable then a car or a semester in school. And in a few months, years or whatever, a trip to Dublin will be worth so much more to you then going to school or working at some random job. Go to store buy some books that you will actually learn something from (i.e. not textbooks) then get a ticket and you can kill two birds with one stone. I can't wait to either go back there for vacation or to live for a while.

view pics if you want at www.15five.com/ireland2001

John

Back
Top Bottom