HELP!!! I want to go to Dublin.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Originally posted by JessicaAnn:
Adam_81_October_era.jpg

ADAM: If you don't come to Dublin, I'm growing back the fro.

Oh good god, Mrs. Clayton, go to Dublin! Stop the 'fro!
biggrin.gif

We went to Ireland for our honeymoon last May(left Dublin 1 day before the newest Hewson was born!) Dublin is an amazing city. I never felt unsafe there at all, although around Temple Bar, there are signs posted all over to watch yer gear. There is so much to see and do in Dublin...however, it did seem as if the whole city was under construction, lots of renovating going on...and the traffic is HORRID...lots and lots of it plus it takes a bit getting used to the driving on right hand side. We bought a multi-day bus pass and road the bus all over town. Great way to tour. But we also walked all over too...it is definately a walking city...I always felt safe and at home. The people everywhere, in Dublin, in the countryside, in Galway, were all so friendly. And in general, I think the Irish love Americans. We had sun-shiney weather every day, up until the day before we left. I will definately go back someday. You would be safe on your own. DO IT! Have tea at the Clarence...it's a hoot...kind of a stodgy place...The Kitchen is more lively, that's the bar in back...The Botanic Gardens are awesome as well...GO!

Hi Mrs. clayton! Yes-do it! I have all my life wanted to go to Uk-so I DID! 1985-I moved to London for 6 months! Hey-it was everything i dreamed it would be, but it was reality also.i.e., people worked there, went to school there, met people fell in love there..and it was all worth it! But unlike me, do do some planning, good you saved money, first. but do you want to work there, p/t just for the experience? better find out what visas you will need then. but definetly plan to rent your own flat, get a Railpass that you can travel on Weekends and check out the country-you don't want to be cooped up in one place all the time. Get out and meet people they can be so helpful and friendly besides the fact that the guys, whew-you'll see!:> ) So go for it! You will be glad you did! peace...

Yes yes let's get a bunch of us and do it! would be cheaper that way and you all won't hafta be alone! would be fun Mrs. clayton and all! here's my e-mail if ya want to hook up, forbonou2@hotmail.com PS: i too went to Ireland and it's safe to be there, i had no problems but the stiff enck i got seeing all those good looking guys, whew..peace ya all..

Originally posted by elizabeth:
This message brought to you courtesy of Bord Failte.

Ha! Since I just returned from Dublin (and the rest of Ireland) a week ago, this made me laugh out loud.

I had a wonderful time in Ireland. And no matter what kind of experience you have, I don't think that traveling abroad is ever a waste of time or money.

One thing -- as I found out last week, the Hot Press Irish Music Hall of Fame is, sadly, gone. There are still signs up, but it left the building it had been in a few months back, and has yet to relocate. (I have photos of my friend and I standing under a sign pointing in the supposed direction of the Hall of Fame and shaking our heads sadly.)

------------------
"The minute anybody starts telling you what God thinks, or exactly why he does such and such, beware. People should never try to make God in man's image, and that's what they're constantly doing." - Madeleine L'Engle, 1963

"Some of my best friends are women. Some of my best friends dress up as women too." - Bono, Hot Press interview

"don't give up, you've got the music in you..."

Originally posted by dizzy:
Oh good god, Mrs. Clayton, go to Dublin! Stop the 'fro!
biggrin.gif

LMAO
biggrin.gif

------------------
"was she askin for it,was she askin nice ,if she was askin for it,did she ask you twice"

Go. GO! (this from a 39 year old mom)

I took my first trip to Europe when I was in my early 20s kind of similar to what Sula did, backpacked around and met up with people here and there, but basically travelled alone. I had NO money - it was the definite budgetel trip - hostels are the way to go and you can really go cheap that way. And airfares are at a super low rate right now. I've never, not once ever, regretted the time or the money I spent doing that.

I absolutely love Ireland. I've been to Dublin twice before, and am going back again over St. Patrick's day (yay! I'm glad to hear that's a good time!)

On the safe thing - I would just say that I felt really safe there. You may run into the occasional pickpocket so watch your stuff, but it is waaaaaaaay safe by US big city standards.

Good luck to you. Maybe you and browneyedgirl should go together!
smile.gif

------------------
She's gonna dream up a world she wants to live in / She's gonna dream out loud.
Visit my web page at www.u2page.com

And to elizabeth and sula-Beautiful pictures!!! Wow-you make ME want to go back! And don't forget Wales-the people are gr-8, and the serenery-breaktaking! And sadly-i lost all my pics of Ireland! Shoot-that does it-i SHOULD go back, too!! Let's go(good book!)you all!

Every day I say "hmmm, let's go to Ireland" at least once. One day I swear I'm gonna go. Who needs college $ when they can go to Ireland?
rolleyes.gif
riiiiiiiiiight.

*thinks of the time when her best friend picked her up in the morning before school and said, "let's go to Hawaii". we ended up skipping a few hours and actually spending them at the airport. but alas, no hawaii...*

------------------
It's the puppets that pull the strings.

Hey Everyone-Guess what???
I came up with very rough figures to present to my parents about a trip abroad.
Can you guess what they said?????????
"You should set up a seperate bank account for your trip, add to it and then go"
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Then I told my mom that I already have an account set up('cause I always try to think ahead)
Oh, and I got a raise!!!!
Yipee!!!!!

Originally posted by Mrs.Clayton:
Hey Everyone-Guess what???
I came up with very rough figures to present to my parents about a trip abroad.
Can you guess what they said?????????
"You should set up a seperate bank account for your trip, add to it and then go"
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Then I told my mom that I already have an account set up('cause I always try to think ahead)
Oh, and I got a raise!!!!
Yipee!!!!!

That's great!!! I really hope that you get to take this trip! If I had the time and money I'd jump at the chance. I'm only 19 so I have some time, but I've promised myself that I will go to Europe before I'm all settled down.

oh dear.
Just the other day, I thought, "Maybe I should go back to Ireland this year, instead of 'someday.' " Such thoughts usually come to me not as possibilities but as directives, and woe to my bank account.
biggrin.gif
I was avoiding this thread before that. And now... the momentum in here is infectious.

Mrs. Clayton, awesome that it's coming together for you! I went to Ireland in fall of 2000 for three weeks. It was a long-time dream -- quite apart from U2, actually; more a spiritual call, and I was "called" to the countryside, not the city. I only spent two nights in Dublin, as a stopover to Galway and the West. I travelled alone (to the quiet concern of my family), but fearlessly. Did B&Bs, wasn't interested in hostelling because I wanted solitude and privacy. They were uniformly fabulous! And the country stole my heart. I actually feel lonely for her at times, homesick. I cried on the plane home when I saw the green hills receding below me. *sigh*

I'd never travelled overseas before, and when I was married, with a mortgage, it was a distant dream. yet, I'm a FIRM believer in grabbing life by the neck and making memories, pouring newness and risk into your life every year, just like when you were a kid and it came naturally. I ploughed myself deeper into debt to take this trip, but -- I'd got the call.
wink.gif
The time was ripe, and the expense is quickly forgotten, while the experience feeds you for years.

this year, my finances will change (divorce settlement at last
biggrin.gif
), I won't have to incur debt, and my sister the Emerald Isle is calling. Maybe it'll even be a U2ey trip this time. Maybe it'll be when some of you are there... I'll be watching this space!

*sigh* *all tingly now*
oh dear.
biggrin.gif

Deb D

------------------
in memoriam
Peter Gzowski (1934-2002)

He set my feet upon a rock
made my footsteps firm

the greatest frontman in the world -- by truecoloursfly: http://www.atu2.com/news/article.src?ID=1575

Definitely GO! Traveling is always a good idea! I went to Dublin last year.. I had a job making no money, I had all sorts of college loans to pay off, but my friend and I found a cheap flight in April, and went! It was the BEST time I've had in my life! I was almost in tears flying back on the plane... Thats how much I didn't want to leave.. I can't wait to go to Europe again.. Hopefully Germany in the summer to visit friends..

Back
Top Bottom