HA HA HA.....is this stuff true?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dismantled

Blue Crack Addict
Bono: Famous Last Words

"Bono's not great at the old driving," U2's Larry Mullen Jr once revealed. "It's not a good look for him." Mullen wasn't kidding. While researching his book on the band (U2: At the End of the World), Bill Flannagan got a first-hand taste of Bono's driving skills:
"While parading through the auto tunnel Bono throws himself so completely into 'The Monkees Theme' that he doesn't see the car headlights bearing down on him until I yank him out of the way," he recalled. "Imagine if I had not. People would be asking me Bono's last words and I'd have to say, 'Hey, hey we're the Monkees and people say we monkey around!'"

[On another occasion, Bono offered a ride to three young travellers. "He had absolutely no idea where he was going... He clutched the wheel desperately, careening through the city streets and running red lights, so that when he asked the girls were they near their place, they answered that this very spot right here would be perfect. And they made their escape - thrilled to have been in Bono's car - even though they were farther away from their hostel than when they'd started."]

Bono & the Twilight Zone

"I got into bed," Bono recalled of one drunken evening, "and I must have fallen asleep for an hour when suddenly an explosion went off in my head. It was the doorbell. I got down, fell over all my cassettes and records, and went to the door. I looked into the little hole that we have in our doors as paranoid rock 'n' roll people, and on the other side of the door I saw myself, just about two years younger. And I thought, 'What's going on? What am I doing out there!?'
"Anyway it turns out it was some guy from a Bono look-alike competition."

Bono: Mr & Mrs B.

"During the Joshua Tree tour Bono registered in hotels as 'Tony Orlando' until one night he ended up in the same hotel with the real Tony Orlando and chaos ensued. He then switched to a name no one else was likely to have: 'Harry Bullocks' [testicles]. He had to give that up when Ali [his wife] refused to be Mrs. Harry Bullocks."

[Adam Clayton's alias? "Maxwell House." Larry Mullen Jr's? "Mr. T. Bag."]

Bono: Young Punk

"Sometime in Autumn '77 [future U2 frontman] Bono came into school with a tight haircut, snappy sixties-style clothes and wearing a chain that stretched from an earring to a safety pin in his mouth," a former classmate once recalled. "He caused a minor riot in the school corridors, as young kids burst into tears and ran away from him. His girlfriend, Ali, would not go near him and broke off their romance (to be patched up later in the day). Teachers were not amused. But Bono was.
"In the prefects' room (neither of us were prefects, but it was a place to hang out), he winked at me and removed the safety pin demonstrating how you didn't actually have to pierce your cheek to keep it in place. He seemed mightily pleased with the response his appearance had provoked."

Bono's Gay!

"After a concert in San Francisco, U2's Bono gave winsome Winona Ryder and - surprise, surprise! - a bubbly Chelsea Clinton (accompanied by Secret Service dudes) a champagne flight back to LA aboard his private jet. As Bono chatted with Chelsea and Winona, things REALLY started rockin' when turbulence violently shook the plane! Seeing the fear on their faces, Bono suddenly shouted 'I'M GAY... I'M GAY!' - reprising that memorable scene in the flick 'Almost Famous,' in which rockers fearing their plane's about to crash start blurting out shocking personal secrets! The girls got the joke and cracked up, but the Secret Service guys...? They apparently missed the movie!"

from anecdote.com....its full of funny stories about famous people, quite funny actually:wink:

"I was at this party and completely and totally off my face," Robbie Williams once recalled. "Mushrooms, Ecstasy, all sorts of s---. And I was staring at this painting for ages. I was just mesmerized by it. And [U2 frontman] Bono comes up and asks, 'Robbie, what are you doing?' And I said, 'Bono, man, this f---ing painting is incredible.' And he went, 'Robbie, that's a window.'"

During one of the band's early gigs, U2 frontman Bono Vox spotted two young ladies dancing in front of the stage. Bono crouched down, thrust his microphone toward one of the girls, and asked, "What's your name?" Her response? "F--- off, dickhead! Get on with the bleeding music. Who do you think you are, David Bowie?"

What a bunch of girl losers....:madspit:

Dismantled said:
"I was at this party and completely and totally off my face," Robbie Williams once recalled. "Mushrooms, Ecstasy, all sorts of s---. And I was staring at this painting for ages. I was just mesmerized by it. And [U2 frontman] Bono comes up and asks, 'Robbie, what are you doing?' And I said, 'Bono, man, this f---ing painting is incredible.' And he went, 'Robbie, that's a window.'"

:lmao:

Oh, man.

I don't care if that didn't happen, I'm just going to believe it did.

That's hilarious.

Dismantled said:
Bono & the Twilight Zone

"I got into bed," Bono recalled of one drunken evening, "and I must have fallen asleep for an hour when suddenly an explosion went off in my head. It was the doorbell. I got down, fell over all my cassettes and records, and went to the door. I looked into the little hole that we have in our doors as paranoid rock 'n' roll people, and on the other side of the door I saw myself, just about two years younger. And I thought, 'What's going on? What am I doing out there!?'
"Anyway it turns out it was some guy from a Bono look-alike competition."

Oh man, these are really FUNNY!..Thank you for posting them...are there more??

Sweet Jaysus

One day in 1977, future U2 frontman Bono Vox was driving with some school chums looking for the home of another friend. When they stopped at a traffic light, Bono jumped out of the car and mooned his fellow motorists and several elderly pedestrians - two of whom were treated to a view of Bono's privates. "Jaysus," they exclaimed, "look at the size of it!"

this one is kind of embarressing:faint:

Bono: Blowin' on the Stage

Bono was once invited to join Bob Dylan onstage in the middle of a show. "Bob Dylan took me to the side of the stage," Bono recalled, "and said, 'You know the words to "Leopardskin Pill-Box Hat"?' And I said yes. I was lying.
"So I came onstage and just sang. And I think a lot of people were very unimpressed by my performance. [He howls with laughter.] I left the stage, and I said, 'Oh, God, what have I done?' And then Dylan's son came over and said, 'Listen, Bob would like you to close the show. He'd like you to sing "Blowin' in the Wind."' He obviously figured I knew the words to 'Blowin' in the Wind.'

"I went out there, and Dylan sang all the verses I knew, so it was either go back and begin the song again or go forward - and I ... just wrote this other verse. In the middle of this, Dylan turned round and said to his bass player, 'What key are we in?' 'Cause I'd changed the tune as well as the words!"

["Hugo needed Bono's lyrics... but the singer became mysteriously unavailable when the photographer went searching for them," Bono biographer Bill Graham once recalled. "Once Bono even darted down a side alley when he saw Hugo approaching him on Grafton Street. A fortnight later, Bono's elusive behaviour was explained. He didn't have any final set of lyrics, he was improvising them on stage."]

Bonohead

Though notoriously absentminded U2 frontman Bono Vox usually lost nothing more important than keys, money, socks, and underwear, he occasionally lost more significant articles. Shortly before entering the studio to record October, for example, Bono lost the lyrics to all of the album's songs.

[Some time later Bono almost lost his life: "At the beginning of the 'October' tour, Bono marched out into the audience waving a white flag. One time, he stepped off a balcony into thin air. His roadie caught him by the belt. The roadie managed to pull the wriggling rock star back up onto the balcony. After that, Bono stopped the flag routine."]

the last part about him almost falling off the balcony is scary
:yikes:

Bono: White Knight

U2 frontman Bono once found himself aboard a plane on which the legendary beauty Sophia Loren was also travelling. They soon encountered a violent storm and the plane was struck by lightning, temporarly disabling its lights and radar. When Sophia Loren began to cower in her seat, Bono leaned over to comfort her: "God," he said, "must have been taking a picture of you!"

awwwwww
:flirt: thats our Bono...smooth and sweet

Dismantled said:
Sweet Jaysus

One day in 1977, future U2 frontman Bono Vox was driving with some school chums looking for the home of another friend. When they stopped at a traffic light, Bono jumped out of the car and mooned his fellow motorists and several elderly pedestrians - two of whom were treated to a view of Bono's privates. "Jaysus," they exclaimed, "look at the size of it!"

Heh, heh, yeah embarressing, uh huh, sure!:D

BonoFox1 said:

Heh, heh, yeah embarressing, uh huh, sure!:D

ok ok...maybe embarressing isnt' the word for it.....my cheeks flushed pink reading it though......:wink: :drool:

Dismantled said:
Sweet Jaysus

I don't usually discuss this stuff, but did they mean that in a bad way? From interview clips and quotes from Adam and Edge, it doesn't seem that Bono is the most gifted man in that department.

Ok, i'm blushing just saying that.

beau2ifulday said:

I don't usually discuss this stuff, but did they mean that in a bad way? From interview clips and quotes from Adam and Edge, it doesn't seem that Bono is the most gifted man in that department.

Well, it's common for guys to joke about the "size" of their friends - usually in a negative sense. So when they say that, they could just be winding him up.

On the other hand, they might not be!

"look at the size of it!" kind of suggests it is meant in a good way...

But who knows!

I've seen all of those stories before, but they're always fun to read again. Many are taken from various books on the band, including the Flanagan and Dunphy books. That story about Bono dropping his pants in the middle of the road came from Dunphy's book. (He mooned frequently when he was a teenager. Ah to have been in Dublin in the 70s!) I always took the old lady's exclamation to be meant in a good way. This is a guy who makes a habit of stripping off his clothes in public; there have been many recorded instances of this. (Remember the Russian restaurant? Remember that digital film which prominently featured his wedding tackle, and that was shown at an art gallery for goodness sake!?) I don't believe a guy with obvious "shortcomings" would persist in putting them on display.

Dismantled said:
"While parading through the auto tunnel Bono throws himself so completely into 'The Monkees Theme' that he doesn't see the car headlights bearing down on him until I yank him out of the way," he recalled. "Imagine if I had not. People would be asking me Bono's last words and I'd have to say, 'Hey, hey we're the Monkees and people say we monkey around!"

Hehe, I've told my mom this one before, 'cause she loves the Monkees :D. And my mom also got a kick out of a story she'd heard one time about how the band was going to register at a hotel under the names of all the guys in the Monkees, but then decided against it 'cause they felt that if they did sign in under the Monkees' names, they'd get MORE attention than they would if they just signed in under their own names :p.

I've heard a lot of these other stories before, too-even the mooning one :ohmy:. The Robbie Williams one is insanely funny.

And I love this one-never heard this story before:

Originally posted by Dismantled
Bono: White Knight

U2 frontman Bono once found himself aboard a plane on which the legendary beauty Sophia Loren was also travelling. They soon encountered a violent storm and the plane was struck by lightning, temporarly disabling its lights and radar. When Sophia Loren began to cower in her seat, Bono leaned over to comfort her: "God," he said, "must have been taking a picture of you!"

Awww, indeed-he always seems to know just the right thing to say to comfort people :). Geez, where the hell was he when the plane that my family was flying on on the way back from our trip to California one year was experiencing turbulence as a result of flying aqround a nasty storm? I sure could've used that comfort *Pouts*.

Angela

All of those stories are great! Bono sure does seem to be an odd guy, but in a good way! He seems to have a bit of a quirky personality. I also think he likes attention a little too much. :der:-(no not our Bono) I think that my favorite story has to be the one with Sophia Loren....that has to be the absolute sweetest thing I have ever heard. Thank you for posting the stories, they made my day!

beau2ifulday said:

I have heard Bono is "very gifted" in that department:hmm: Did you read the Russian restaraunt article about Bono stripping naked for an interview...even taking off his "black bikini briefs"....(excuse me for a sec:combust: ) the jounalist said bono wasn't embarressed at all and "had no need to be". THat makes me think something right there.

Back
Top Bottom