HA HA HA.....is this stuff true?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Shortly after Jacques Chirac was elected President of France in 1995, U2 frontman Bono Vox attended the second MTV European Awards ceremony in Paris. "What a city, what a night," he declared. "What a wanker you have for President!"

["I could go onstage, unzip my pants, and hang my d--- out," Bono once remarked, "and people would think it was a statement about something."]

OH MY GOD.....*blush blush blush at the Bono quote.......and you know its probably true:wink:

Bono: Clarence Hotel

In June 2004, shortly after Ireland's passage of strict anti-smoking laws banning smoking in public places, U2 frontman Bono Vox was reprimanded after lighting up in Dublin's Clarence Hotel. When staff and friends asked him to stub it out, he apologized and agreed. The hotel's owner? Bono and his U2 bandmates.

["I was quickly reminded by the staff and a few friends. I apologised then and I apologise now," the singer said. "It was the wee small hours," Bono said. "I was in the company of people from out of town who didn't know about the ban and for a moment nor did I."]

clementine_rose said:
All of those stories are great! Bono sure does seem to be an odd guy, but in a good way! He seems to have a bit of a quirky personality.

:yes:. He's a little insane, but insane in a good way :D. You'd kinda have to be to come up with some of the crazy things he's done and said over the years :p. I like his quirkiness, it makes him interesting. Dull, thy name is certainly not Bono.

Originally posted by clementine_rose
I also think he likes attention a little too much. :der:-(no not our Bono)

LOL, he sure does. I was watching the performances U2 did at Live Aid on the DVD last night, and yeah, Bono was doing everything in his power to get people's attention (and it worked-when I was watching them do the song "Bad", before Bono'd gone down into the crowd to dance with the girl, the little area in front of the stage had a couple of people, the microphone guy and maybe a cameraman or two. After he'd danced with the girl and come back up on stage, there were TONS of journalists there with cameras and they were all snapping pictures and everything. Thought that was rather funny (that performance was simply AMAZING, by the way-I can see why people talk about it so much)). Yeah, Bono's definitely one of those "Look at me, look at me!" types of people. Not that that's a bad thing, mind you, 'cause those kinds of people are fine so long as they're doing things worth looking at, and that definitely applies to him.

Originally posted by Dismantled
["I could go onstage, unzip my pants, and hang my d--- out," Bono once remarked, "and people would think it was a statement about something."]

OH MY GOD.....*blush blush blush at the Bono quote.......and you know its probably true:wink:

Hahaha, I've heard that quote before, too...oh, Bono...*Shakes head, chuckles* And you're right, it probably is true :p.

Angela

Dismantled said:

I have heard Bono is "very gifted" in that department:hmm: Did you read the Russian restaraunt article about Bono stripping naked for an interview...even taking off his "black bikini briefs"....(excuse me for a sec:combust: ) the jounalist said bono wasn't embarressed at all and "had no need to be". THat makes me think something right there.

That IS one of my absolute favorite funny Bono Stories!!!
AAHHH!! To have been that journalist!!:eek: :happy:

Moonlit_Angel said:

:yes:. He's a little insane, but insane in a good way :D. You'd kinda have to be to come up with some of the crazy things he's done and said over the years :p. I like his quirkiness, it makes him interesting. Dull, thy name is certainly not Bono.

To me he is Spontaneous!! and Charasmatic, and it seems that he has been like that all his life...That is what I LOVE about Bono, is that he is not afraid to do and say what he feels and wants!!!

I:heart: :bono:

Last edited:
About his driving, I have a bootleg of one of the Zoo TV shows that includes a radio article on them in Australia, and the female reporter was driving in Bono's car. I will write this from my memory but you can picture it, I'm sure:

Bono is talking about Zoo TV and Achtung Baby and the reporter says:
"Can you just put your hands on the wheel while you're talking, please?"
*nervous laughter on her part*
*Bono laughs*
Reporter continues: "I actually heard you're a particularly lousy driver.."
Bono: "I was just about to say you're a very brave woman for getting in the car with me."

-driving car noises, beeping

Bono: "Oh, I'm on the wrong side of the street, sorry about that."
- more beeps
*both of them laugh*
Bono: "Ooh, messy."
*more laughs*
Bono: "I wish I could say that never happened before...they know me."

Dismantled said:

I have heard Bono is "very gifted" in that department:hmm: Did you read the Russian restaraunt article about Bono stripping naked for an interview...even taking off his "black bikini briefs"....(excuse me for a sec:combust: ) the jounalist said bono wasn't embarressed at all and "had no need to be". THat makes me think something right there.

Oh!!:drool: Hurt me why don't you!!!! oh no..the visuals have taken over.

I love Bono stories. He's is so funny and quirky..and utterly human. The best stories came out of Bill Flanagan's U2 at the end of the world. I'm currently reading Killing Bono.

Thanks Dismantled!! I remember the general gist of the stories but I love being able to read them all in one thread.

Dismantled said:
Bono: Famous Last Words

"Bono's not great at the old driving," U2's Larry Mullen Jr once revealed. "It's not a good look for him." Mullen wasn't kidding. While researching his book on the band (U2: At the End of the World), Bill Flannagan got a first-hand taste of Bono's driving skills:
"While parading through the auto tunnel Bono throws himself so completely into 'The Monkees Theme' that he doesn't see the car headlights bearing down on him until I yank him out of the way," he recalled. "Imagine if I had not. People would be asking me Bono's last words and I'd have to say, 'Hey, hey we're the Monkees and people say we monkey around!'"

[On another occasion, Bono offered a ride to three young travellers. "He had absolutely no idea where he was going... He clutched the wheel desperately, careening through the city streets and running red lights, so that when he asked the girls were they near their place, they answered that this very spot right here would be perfect. And they made their escape - thrilled to have been in Bono's car - even though they were farther away from their hostel than when they'd started."]

I couldn't help but laugh! ;) :laugh: We love you Bono!;):hug::hug:

Lucy3011 said:

Is that book any good?

So far so good. I'm only a few chapters into it but because of the holidays I had to put it aside. I can't wait to pick it back up and settle in for a long read.

I don't know if you already know what the story is about. Neil McCormick is a childhood friend/acquaintance and the short short of it is that Bono is living the life that Neil always wanted and had set himself up for. Neil has some interesting stories from when Bono was in school.

I like the author's writing style. Sarcastic and bitter...LOL! But you feel for the author's agony. The story is very funny so far.

Dismantled said:
Bono's Gay!

"After a concert in San Francisco, U2's Bono gave winsome Winona Ryder and - surprise, surprise! - a bubbly Chelsea Clinton (accompanied by Secret Service dudes) a champagne flight back to LA aboard his private jet. As Bono chatted with Chelsea and Winona, things REALLY started rockin' when turbulence violently shook the plane! Seeing the fear on their faces, Bono suddenly shouted 'I'M GAY... I'M GAY!' - reprising that memorable scene in the flick 'Almost Famous,' in which rockers fearing their plane's about to crash start blurting out shocking personal secrets! The girls got the joke and cracked up, but the Secret Service guys...? They apparently missed the movie!"

:lol: :lol: Bono sure is creative!:);)

U2girl said:
About his driving, I have a bootleg of one of the Zoo TV shows that includes a radio article on them in Australia, and the female reporter was driving in Bono's car. I will write this from my memory but you can picture it, I'm sure:

Bono is talking about Zoo TV and Achtung Baby and the reporter says:
"Can you just put your hands on the wheel while you're talking, please?"
*nervous laughter on her part*
*Bono laughs*
Reporter continues: "I actually heard you're a particularly lousy driver.."
Bono: "I was just about to say you're a very brave woman for getting in the car with me."

-driving car noises, beeping

Bono: "Oh, I'm on the wrong side of the street, sorry about that."
- more beeps
*both of them laugh*
Bono: "Ooh, messy."
*more laughs*
Bono: "I wish I could say that never happened before...they know me."

:lol: :lmao: ;) I :heart: :bono: 2!!

In the interference/Achtung Baby video, isn't there a moment when all 4 are asked if they ever thought they were going to die, and Adam, Larry and Edge all say "Only in the back of Bono's car."

:laugh:

sweetie said:

So far so good. I'm only a few chapters into it but because of the holidays I had to put it aside. I can't wait to pick it back up and settle in for a long read.

I don't know if you already know what the story is about. Neil McCormick is a childhood friend/acquaintance and the short short of it is that Bono is living the life that Neil always wanted and had set himself up for. Neil has some interesting stories from when Bono was in school.

I like the author's writing style. Sarcastic and bitter...LOL! But you feel for the author's agony. The story is very funny so far.

I finished that book a month and a half ago..I liked though there are not too many things on Bono, whatever there is I'ts amusing,
the book focuses more on Neil and his quest for stardom,
I have to say that I really felt sorry for him yet I hated him too, but in the end I cheered for him (Neil that is)
Great book, I think U2 fans should read...

Thank you, Miroslava! I had never read this before. I'm cracking up laughing.

Q: What is the best thing about you?
Bono: My nose.

Q: What is the worst thing about you?
Bono: My nose.

Too funny! :lmao:

BP: What turned you on to rock'n'roll?

BONO: There was a few incidents - seeing Elvis, seeing Tom Jones - yeah! - and realising I fancied Marc Bolan and he wasn't a girl and I thought this rock'n'roll was quite a potion if it can do that to me 'cos I'm very heterosexual.

:laugh:

:lmao:...oh, Bono! Lucy, that's a great quote!

BonoFox1 said:
To me he is Spontaneous!! and Charasmatic, and it seems that he has been like that all his life...That is what I LOVE about Bono, is that he is not afraid to do and say what he feels and wants!!!

I:heart: :bono:

:yes:. Exactly. Something tells me his motto is something along the lines of "Life is short...live it up!" I loved it in the "End Of The World" book when U2 were in Japan toward the end of their tour...Bono's just wandering around to all these bizarre places and experiencing some SERIOUSLY weird moments...but it was so funny to read about all that stuff, 'cause he didn't care where he went, he just wanted to take in everything, he just went wherever his curiosity led him (felt awfully bad for his security guy, though-the poor man was running all over the city trying to keep him out of trouble!). I just found that amazing and really cool. If I ever got the chance to be lucky enough to sit down and talk with him sometime, I'd love to hear all his stories about all the places he's been...he'd have quite a few fascinating tales to tell, I'm sure.

Originally posted by U2girl

Haha, yeah, no kidding-I've heard the horror stories about Bono's driving before, too (although I guess I'd be one of those "very brave" women, too, 'cause if I were offered the chance to get a ride in Bono's car, I'd be kicking myself if I refused the offer :D).

Angela

I've been hearing a lot about this Flanagan book lately. Oddly, I've never read it. Looks like I'm gonna have to!

BP: Have you ever slept in the open?

ADAM: Yeah, quite often actually. Well, I once slept on a roundabout in London in Camden, no sorry not as glamorous as Camden, it was Catford. I'd been to see Thin Lizzy play the Wembley Arena in their 'Live and Dangerous tour' so it would have been about '76. This time I'd been in the West End in a few clubs and didn't have any money to get home so I started walking. And I just walked as far as I could go before I fell asleep and I chose a roundabout and woke up at rush hour. It was a bit disorienting because I couldn't find my glasses so all I knew was I was on this patch of green and there were cars driving round me, so it was a bit of a strange way to wake up.

BONO: Yes. More than a few times. When I was sixteen, myself and the Village which was Gavin, Guggi, all those, it was like a street gang, I talked them all into going over to this old seaside town in Wales to try and meet my summer love from the year before whose name was Mandy. The only problem was it was November so when we got over to this place Criccieth in North Wales, absolutely beautiful seaside town, great place to fall in love, we pitched the tent on the seaside on the strand. They had record gale force winds that year and the tent was taken away in a tornado and thrown about a mile down the beach and I remember curling up in a puddle and trying to get the puddle warm! It was then I discovered the great invention that a women's toilet is when they have those air heaters, to dry your hands vibe. We slept in a lady's toilet, taking turns keeping on the dryer to keep warm.
Both those answers cracked me up. Bono's was kinda cute, though.

I love all of their answers to this one:
BP: Who's your hero?

EDGE: God.
BONO: Very ordinary people are heros to me, people who face up to the facts and get on with it.
LARRY: Jesus was a cool guy.
ADAM: Robert Mapplethorpe. He did some great photographs of male nudes that really make men proud of their bodies. At the same time I don't like the Bruce Weber boys. I just think the male body is something that shouldn't be covered up.

*sigh*
I should shut up, but this is the most adorable thing I've ever seen/read/heard Larry say:

BP: If you were an animal, which animal would you be?

LARRY: Aaah! A fly. Because Bono wrote about a fly and what's good enough for Bono is good enough for me.

Lucy3011 said:
Both those answers cracked me up. Bono's was kinda cute, though.

No kidding-aw... And he slept in a woman's bathroom. LOL. Nice. But hey, whatever helps keep him warm. And Adam's was rather cute, too...just imagining him wandering around town until he gets tired and falls asleep.

Originally posted by Lucy3011
I love all of their answers to this one:

:yes:. Those were good ones. And that Larry one's cute, too :cute:. I love how sentimental these guys can get sometimes when talking about each other.

Angela

In the same spirit, there's a quote from the John Water's book "Race of Angels" from - and about - Bono riding through Beverly Hills on a Harley Davidson "wearing nothing but warpaint and underpants" - I think it was during the post Rattle and Hum period.

Back
Top Bottom