Grace - Chapter 10

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Serena Vox

ONE love, blood, life
I can't believe I'm this far already! Thanks again to everyone and my wonderful beta. I still don't know how she does it. :D

Disclaimer: Don't own/know U2, don't make money of this, never happened, etc, etc...

Warnings: Little bit of language.

---

The band continued to work on their album, each of them getting to know Grace a little bit better in the process. She obviously wasn’t going to be going anywhere anytime soon as Bono wouldn’t let her out of his sights unless it was with one of them. Over protective was one of many ways to put it, for sure. Surprised that no one had tried anything funny since the incident with her parents, she knew whatever it was, wasn’t over yet. And this was a fact that most definitely frustrated her to some extent. The thoughts and the wondering never would go away for such matters and this only served to keep her even more on guard.

The young woman was seated on one side of the couch inside the studio that they had apparently been using. Edge explained that they hardly ever use the same studio for all of their recording and Bono’s interest in New York made this studio the perfect place this time around.

She looked over at the other end of the couch, seeing the guitarist scribbling on some paper. The rest of his band mates, Bono included had gone to fetch something to eat for the evening. He was rather quiet, from what she’d observed. Hardly said but a sentence in the entire time that they’d been sitting there.

Deciding to break the silence, she spoke up, “So, how far along is this album?”

He looked up from his notes, his eyes scanning over her curiously. He put his pencil down and set down the notes, “We are almost done. Bono is still implementing some new lyrics and we’re working on the sounds. We’re on the final leg of the work, I suppose you would say.”

“I can’t wait to hear it,” She remarked, looking down at the floor.

“I take it you’re a fan of our music, then?” He asked.

“Not hardcore or anything. I know some songs and I always liked the sound. Bono’s got a lovely voice.”

“If he’d lay off the caffeine and cigarettes…” Edge commented, slinging his arm over the back of the couch, “Sorry, I like giving him hell.” He forced a smile.

Grace laughed a little, looking over at him, “That’s what band mates do, right?”

“You bet,” He replied with a smug grin, getting up. He picked up his guitar and leaned it against the other wall to avoid kicking it over. Turning back to face her, he got a bit on the curious side, “How exactly…did the two of you meet?”

“Who? Bono and I?” She was confused. The thought crossed her mind that surely Bono had already bragged it off to everyone under the sun. But apparently, this was not the case.

“Yeah.”

“Well, I was out one evening and I went to the coffee shop. He was coming out of the door and we ran into each other. Literally speaking.” She explained, folding her hands together in her lap.

“Well…” He trailed off, placing his hand on top of the guitar, “That’s pretty neat. Listen, not to be nosy or anything and I understand if you don’t want to say anything, but I was wondering…are you and he…?” He suddenly asked, walking back towards the couch.

“Are we what?”

“Ya know…together?”

“Oh…I guess so?” She shrugged, looking down at the floor. She wasn’t even really sure about that.

“Ahh…” The guitarist replied simply, sitting back down. He knew how his band mate was. Leading women on seemed to be one of the things he was best at and this woman was one who did not need that, at least in his opinion. “He tends to be like that. Doesn’t really know what he wants. Suppose it’s why he’s not and never been married.”

“What do you mean?” Grace asked, curiosity beginning to get the better of her.

“He’s not exactly…what you’d call very stable. I love the man to death, don’t get me wrong. But he doesn’t have it together.”

“Oh…I see.”

Silence then followed. Edge couldn’t be as blunt about it with her as he could with Bono. She had done nothing wrong, there was no reason to tell her what she could and couldn’t do when it came to the lead man. It wasn’t even that he wanted the two to remain separate so much as that he didn’t want to see her get hurt by him. Despite his good intentions, he began to feel bad about it. Not only was he getting on his band mate’s nerves, but now he was nosing in on their relationship, if it could even be called that.

Simple fact was, this wasn’t any ordinary woman. This was a woman who was they had all known once upon a time. Things were different, to say the least. Very different.

“I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have brought that up,” He finally said, getting up once more, pacing the room.

“It’s fine…” She replied, waving her hand at him.

Adam, Bono and Larry had all went together in Bono's car to get some food. The drummer went in ahead, looking to have quite the wait on his hands while his two mates sat out in the car, talking to one another. Bono drummed his fingers along the steering wheel, looking up at the upholstery.

His mind was elsewhere. Stuck on Grace. He wondered about her feelings, if what he was reading was right, among other things.

“I figured we’d have this long of a wait,” The bassist commented, peeking around at all different angles from the back seat.

“Don’t we always?” He mumbled, leaning his head back against the seat.

“Is something wrong?” Adam asked, turning his glance onto the lead man.

“No. Yeah. I don’t know,” He babbled, waving a hand.

“What are you thinking?” His band mate asked, leaning forward in the back seat to rest his head on the top of the passenger side seat.

“Just…things.”

“Is it about Grace?” The question was definitely an expected one.

Bono fell silent. It was as dead on to the truth as one could get. His mind raked over their exchange at the apartment just before they'd gone to see her parents, to the new feelings that had followed Grace into the picture of his life. He glanced down at the steering wheel, ceasing the movements of his hands. He slid his hands down off it and rubbed his palms against the material of his pants, finding they were clammy. A sigh escaped him, he turned back to face Adam and spoke, “Yeah.”

A cell phone jingle interrupted the two and Adam patted himself down, “It’s not me.”

The lead man dug around his pockets, having a problem finding the phone as usual. Once he located it, he blindly hoped it wasn’t Edge calling to say something was wrong or something of the sort. Taking one look at the caller ID, he recognized the number to be the one of the same woman who’d called shortly after the coffee shop incident. This said woman was one he’d met not too long after he’d purchased the apartment here in the city. He moved the phone out of sight from the bassist and turned it off, stuffing it into his jacket pocket.

“Who was that?” Adam asked, curious as to why he didn’t answer it.

“Wrong number.”

“If that isn’t the biggest load of—”

“Hey, shut up,” Bono snapped, sitting up in the driver’s seat to see if he could spot Larry in the busy restaurant.

Adam lifted his hands up in mock surrender, shaking his head. He wasn’t stupid, he knew what was going on. The calls he’d been previously running as far out of earshot as possible to tend to, he was now hanging up to or turning the phone off for. And it was being done out of guilt. The guilt that had come from his feelings towards Grace. The singer’s lifestyle was catching up to him; quickly.

Silence lingered for a long moment before Bono spoke back up, “Sorry…”

“It’s fine. If you don’t want to talk to her, just answer it and tell her not to call back anymore.”

He whirled around in the seat, almost surprised. At least until he realized that none of his friends were clueless to what he’d been doing with his life for the last fifteen years or so. Even the media had been knowledgeable of his personal life. Many articles had been published over the course of the years that pointed to his foolish decisions regarding a partner and such. With a long and drawn out exhale, he said, “Yeah…”

A frustrated Larry finally came back out of the restaurant, bags in hand and got into the passenger seat, shoving them onto the floor board between his feet. He turned to face Bono. “Now, can we get the fuck out of here? I’m starving!”

Adam sat back in the back seat, watching as Bono started the ignition and pulled out of the parking spot.

After they’d eaten, Bono and Edge went to work on some more lyrics and guitar tabs, Larry had taken off to spend the rest of his evening with his girlfriend, leaving Grace with Adam this time, in the same area where she’d previously sat with the guitarist. She had to admit, she felt more comfortable around Adam than she did Edge. Something about him seemed more calm and open. And chances were, that was why it was easier to feel more at ease with him.

Random talking and cursing could be heard from the other room as the two stayed still, neither saying one word to the other.

Her eyes wandered the room. Random, empty beer bottles were scattered about from the day, the bags and containers that held their food earlier were littered about too as well as guitar picks and the like. She sighed, looking down at the floor. The bassist eyed her carefully, wondering if something was wrong with her at first.

“Everything alright?” He asked, holding a hand out to her.

“Yeah, it’s fine. I’ve just had a bit of a rough week is all,” She replied, shrugging her shoulders.

“Is the radio station a lot of fun?” A random question.

“It can be.”

“I usually listen to you in the morning; it’s kind of cool when you know the person.”

She smiled, “Thanks.”

Another examination of her mood and he decided he ought to do something. He realized that lately, Grace and Bono hadn’t spent any kind of time together that wasn’t involving some kind of issue whether it be her family or their album.

“Hey, I’ll be right back,” Adam suddenly said, waving a hand as he got up from the other end of the couch, walking towards the door. He went into the other room briefly. A few more mumbles and indistinct words could be heard before he returned with a smile on his face.

Curiosity began to get the better of her, “Something up?”

“Oh, I was just…doing a favour…” He replied, looking towards the door. Bono and Edge came back out, together. The guitarist walked ahead. He didn’t look too pleased. He and the bassist began to bicker as they walked out of earshot. Bono turned to face her, a grin on his face.

“But why did you have to go and do that?” Edge’s protesting got a bit louder, “We were actually making some progress!”

Adam swatted at him playfully, shoving him towards the exit before speaking back up, “Just give them some time, okay?”

“Time we could be using for the—”

“Stop being a damn sourpuss! All work and no play? Come on; let’s go have a look around at the museums. They need some time together…”

“And we need some time to finish the freakin’ album.”

“Hey, the album can wait, quality time can’t. Those two deserve at least one nice night without any worries,” Adam reasoned, watching the frustrated look on the guitarist’s face, “They’ll be fine, trust me.”

Edge sighed, setting down the notes he and Bono had worked through most of supper on and beyond. He would be the first to admit he wasn’t fond of the idea at all. He knew that despite his protesting and arguing, ultimately, there was nothing he could do about it. Part of that angered him to an extent, when the past had a say so. Giving in once more; he agreed and they left promptly. The rest of the evening now belonged to the pair that the band mates often found themselves conflicting over.

I liked it. :applaud: please post more soon, can't wait for some sweet time between them now :heart:

:cute: adam and edge's characters :up:

hi philly80 :wave: thanks for your request :hug:

:doh: Sorry it's taken me forever to review this.

Adam is sweet. Edge is an arse. None of this is news.

Great chapter, sis!

Back
Top Bottom