Goodbye, Ruby Tuesday

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Devlin

War Child
Another story that hides itself on my drive - a bit tough on the more sensitive, but I suppose I've always been that way.
Anyway, here it is, hope you enjoy. And yes, it involves U2. Larry and possibly Adam will make appearances later on.

Again, the themes are not spiffy. They are not peachy keen. And they are not sugar sweet. If you can't handle them, stop now and look away.:p

Goodbye, Ruby Tuesday

Goodbye, Ruby Tuesday
Who could hang a name on you?
When you change with every new day
Still I’m going to miss you...

There: I’d written it. Every sordid detail, every little thing I hadn’t wanted to face ever since I was too small to really articulate why I hated being around people. Even the parts I couldn’t remember too well; I just put down what I could remember about that day: The log house with the various toys, the faded red and tan tiles of the floor, the faint impression of emptiness, the distant voice of a teacher murmuring something I cannot remember.

And Keith.

He was a guy from the neighborhood. I cannot remember if my mother knew him before this or not; it’s all fuzzy, and since I was only five at the time, everything is all fuzzy. I just remember that I wanted to go home, very badly. I was bored. I was sick of waiting for my mother to come get me.

Deep down, I wondered if she had forgotten me. I feared she had, though she’d never forget my seven year old brother, oh no: he was – still is – the apple of her eye.

I wanted badly to go home. It was getting dark; the gangs started up after dark. Or maybe it was about to rain. Who knows? I certainly don’t.

At any rate, Keith took me by the hand and walked me home. I don’t remember much of that, either; I remember seeing the building, not knowing whether my mother would be home to let me in or not. And then I remember my mother yelling at me and hitting me for letting some guy walk me home instead of waiting for her. It would have done me no good to try and explain to her that I had gotten anxious and heartsick, waiting in that room, bored out of my skull. I was heartily sick of playing with toys. I wanted to go home and read some books, or something. It was deadly dull in that classroom.

My mother never would hear of it.

I learned then that nothing I said or did would ever matter one bit to her; my existence was a burden; I was to keep out of her way or work, work until I was too tired to even consider developing a personality that had nothing to do with her. I was to be loyal to the point of losing my own individuality.

She would never say where she came from
Yesterday don’t matter if its gone
While the sun is bright
Or in the darkest night
No one knows
She comes and goes

I never learned to ride a bike; it only took me splitting my head open once to end that idea. I was fairly good at skating; however, I wasn’t allowed to do much of that, either. It would mean I could get away from her. I was rarely allowed true affection – just when I did everything she wanted me to – and even then, it wasn’t enough. I could never be good enough, or do enough. Mother hated me. I wasn’t supposed to be born. She never said it, but the way she always hit me, always yelled at me, never let me have friends, shamed me for bedwetting well into my teens – oh, I knew she didn’t value me. And I learned not to value myself.

She even threatened to tell everyone I still wet the bed if I didn’t stop. And the times where she would take after me with a coat hanger! I still have the scars to prove it. She even hit me in the face – I had a black eye for days, and had to go to school with it. No matter what I did, I was wrong, very wrong.

Don’t question why she needs to be so free
Shell tell you its the only way to be
She just cant be chained
To a life where nothings gained
And nothings lost
At such a cost

I couldn’t date – she claimed she didn’t want me getting pregnant and making the same mistakes she made as a child – or even so much as look at a boy. She hated the way I walked, always after me to stop trying to be fast. Forget about the fact that I no more liked the way my ass bounced than she did – though sometimes I thought it was cool, especially because none of the other girls in my class had an ass that bounced.

I was outcaste from them anyway, by virtue of my intelligence and gentleness. Teachers liked my meekness (really, fear of my mother beating me for some stupid thing that made her look bad) and hunger for knowledge, so gave me attention.

My worth was attached to what I could do; forget about the person I was back then; I was going to be a doctor , or something. I was too smart to “waste my time” on music or art or anything like that.

No one seemed to notice that I hated math – I was no good at it. Mostly because I didn’t want to be bothered with it, and somewhat because every time I tried to really study it, I had to stop to do chores and things. I could never be allowed to sit and study. As a female, I had to learn how to care for the house, to cook and clean and wash, while my brother was allowed to do what he wanted.

By the time I became a teenager, I had learned to bury my anguish in food. I was fat at fourteen – much fatter than I should have been. I was already a size twelve or fourteen. I hated the ugly clothes I had to wear. They stripped me of my own sense of beauty, both outer and inner.

No one knew how much I cried at night when no one could hear me. Nor how I would pretend to be a boy just so I could feel some sense of connection to the self I had lost at five (I suspect I had always been ambiguously sexed, even as a little child).

There’s no time to lose, I heard her say
Catch your dreams before they slip away
Dying all the time
Lose your dreams
And you will lose your mind.
Isn’t life unkind?

I was always made aware of my arrogance, my inability to be right, simply because I dared disagree with the life path set out for me by the adults in my life. They never seemed to get it; I wanted nothing to do with college or a ‘great career’ or anything like that. I wanted to be a rock guitarist. Or, failing that, I would, in my dreams, become a wildlife photographer and behaviorist. Both loners’ occupations, they would suit me perfectly. I felt so guilty for wanting to live a life separate from my mother, for wanted to do something that would allow me to make mistakes and mature. It always felt like I was years behind the train, behind the girls in my class. I was always forced to keep company with either adults far older than myself, or with a retarded girl who didn’t understand what being fourteen really meant. All this further bludgeoned any sense of self out of me. I got it, one day. I’m only allowed to parrot the ‘wisdom’ of my elders. That’s it. I had to accept that I don’t want children, because I’m not capable of taking care of any. I don’t want to live on my own, because I’m not capable of taking care of myself.

The moral has always been that I’m not capable enough. I don’t exist as a person. I must be loyal to and care for my mother, because she needs me . I should not want my own life. DO not dare to consider yourself ‘too good’ to take care of Mother’s needs. Your life must wait upon her whim, because she didn’t have to have you.

Why does any of this matter now?

I don’t know. I only know that I am angry because I was denied the basic human right to grow up, to be secure, to be loved for the person I was. I was killed that day Keith walked me home from school. Whether he molested me or not, I have no idea; I just know I did not like him. He made me feel – creepy. I’ve always stayed clear of him, as much as I could. He was a snake. I know it.

My father was another such snake: he lied, cheated, and stole. He told me my mother was a whore, and my brother wasn’t my brother, because alcohol stunts sperm count. It may, over time, this is true; but not within the same night. And, of course, he brought up my mother’s near-rape. All of this, he used to try and convince me that my mother was a liar. To what purpose? I don’t know. Perhaps he thought it would bring us closer together, since I tended to avoid being alone with him anytime I could get around it. I got tired of seeing his skinny little prick wrapped in a robe as though I didn’t know he wanted to screw my mother, who was stupid enough to let him, thinking it would make him want to visit the kids (us) more.

I could have told her by ten that it was failing, and he was just using her to get sex, and beer.

I was taught that people are not to be trusted. Those things mattered more than people: all I had, though, wasn’t mine, either. Who knew when it would be snatched away from me? MY mother always threw my stuff out because it was ‘too junky’ and cluttered up our shared room, while she got to keep everything she wanted to. My brother had his own room, so he got to keep his stuff too. I had nowhere to escape to when bedtime hit, and my father was there.

I’d hear them having sex, ironically worried that I’d wake up and see them at it. If only they knew how well I had learned to fake it. Since I had to be subject to their rutting, I may as well get a laugh out of fooling them. And I did. I got more of an education about sex than I should have.

So here I stand, at thirty: a person with no identity, no self; it’s all been taken from me.

Where do I go from here?

What do I do?

Who am I?

Why am I here?

I grieve for the lost Self, the Soul that withered on the vine ere it had a chance to mature. So why did I write it out? Because I want someone to know, to hear the story of the Lost Girls: those of us who are lost to the traditions of the Black community of suppression and slavery, of thieving, abuse, and smothering and killing of its own youth. We who carry the scars on our bodies and in our very souls must speak out. We must live. We must stop the violence our own culture is perpetuating on our own people. Because if we don’t, the very souls we need to survive will be gone on the winds of the violence we have inflicted on ourselves, in the name of maintaining the status quo.

We can no longer look to the outside to place blame. We must face the harsh reality that regardless of what the white community has done TO us, the greatest tragedy is that we perpetuate far greater genocides upon ourselves every time we force our girls to straighten their hair (remind me to explain the torture of the hot comb and the perm a later date), to forgo their own selves in order to be a ‘credit to the race’, the constant blaming of every white person that doesn’t bow down and kiss our dirty black asses and give us what we think we want Right Now. We want our history to be taught – and yet we don’t want to admit that we are the ones who are tearing ourselves down. The proverbial Evil White Man has to do nothing. We have done it for him.

Ask yourselves why the average Black child will not be able to understand what I write here. Not the meaning, the words . The answer is because education is looked upon as the vanillification of the Black race – forget about the fact that an ignorant person will not be able to fight properly.

But I digress. What I mean to tell you is simple: We are killing our future because we are afraid to assimilate, to lose the cultural hatred of anything that does not conform the narrow ideals of ‘Black Culture’: violence, drugs, sports, and generational stupidity.

But this is all just my opinion. See for yourselves, in time, if it doesn’t hold true.

I’m not perfect. I’m just angry and tired of carrying the burden of proving my Blackness.

Is it not writ on my skin for all to see?

How many scars must I bear before you understand that you cannot drown me?

I will rise, despite it all. Despite you, who try to drag me down into the pits of despair and self-hatred.

I have carried your burdens long enough, my mother and my father.

Last edited:
Ehm - did I mention I was bored t'day?

One

Well take your head around the world and see what you get from your mind; write your soul down word for word and see who’s your friend, and who is kind.

Well, it’s almost like a disease

And I know soon you will be over the lies, and you’ll be strong; you’ll be rich in love and you will carry on, but oh no, no you won’t be mine

Well take your straight line for a curve and make it stretch, the same old line; then try to find if it was worth what you spent. Wipe your tear for the way you’re feeling now.

It’s almost like being free

And I know soon you will be over the lies, and you’ll be strong; you’ll be rich in love and you will carry on, but oh no, no you won’t be mine

Well take yourself out to the curb; sit and wait, a fool for life. And it’s almost like a disease

I walked down the cold, dreary street, shivering in my inadequate shell of a jacket, mentally cursing my stupidity in forgetting to get my wool jacket out of the cleaners’. I stuff my hands as far as they would go into the pockets of my slacks, and cursed again at the lack of space to fit my entire hand into them.

Stupid designers; didn’t they know that women needed real pockets, too?

Apparently not; we’re just supposed to look cute.

Feck cute; I’m cuter when I’m warm.
After what seemed like an hour out in the wet cold – you’d think I lived in Ireland, not Chicago – I step into the South Loop Club, looking around for Jon and Stacy. Not that I was precisely enthusiastic about meeting them; I wasn’t, not really.

So what was my excuse for being there anyway, despite my less-than-energetic desire to see them? Sheer boredom: that’s my story and I’m sticking to it. I tug in aggravation at my turtleneck and sigh – at least my neck was warm – in exasperation. They’re well in the back, sitting hunched over their drinks like a pair of angry gargoyles.

They didn’t want to be at this particular bar because it was a mixed-race place, not all black. On the other hand, though, I wanted nothing to do with black ‘culture’. It bothered me; as terrible an upbringing as I’d had, I’d learned the value of diversity.

Besides, it was my thirtieth birthday, so they owed me the indulgence. And they would have to face the fact that white folks aren’t going away sometime; they may as well begin now. As I walk across the floor towards them, I nearly trip over a pair of long slim legs clad in faded blue Levi’s.

They’re jerked out of my way as a long fingered – remarkably well-manicured – masculine hand darts out to brace me. “I’m sorry; I shouldn’t have had my legs sticking out there like that.”

It was a beautiful accent, his; I turned to look at him. I smiled at him, accepting the apology mutely.

He was beautiful, in that classically masculine way the pretty boys usually have when they finally grow into adulthood; of course, I recognized Larry Mullen of U2. It would be inexcusable for any fan not to. But I didn’t let on.

He looked concerned that he’d hurt me. Not likely; He’s so small I could probably break him. “I’m okay, man, really. I could learn to watch where I’m going, too, you know.” I point out with a laugh.

His smile is slow and shy, and he lowers his sandy gold lashes for just a moment over clear blue eyes. “Well, if you say so.”

I chuckle. “I do say so. You got a problem with that?” I try to sound tough; I must not have done to well, because he stifles a laugh. “No, ma’am, I don’t.” His meek tone makes me laugh.

“You don’t do meek too well; you’ll have to work on it, Larry.” Adam settles blandly into the conversation and his seat, eyes twinkling at me. “Now, see, he was trying so hard. Why’d you ruin it for him?” I tease jovially; steadfastly trying to ignore Stacy’s frantic waving in my direction.

They could damn well wait for me to get over there.

There’s no way in Hell I’m going to not talk to two of my heroes.

They both laugh at that, sounding musical and completely in tune. It was rather charmingly harmonic – surprisingly, since neither of them could sing a lick, they had very musical speaking voices.

It was charming.

I snort as Stacy stands up and waves again, so frantically her breasts nearly fall out of her shirt – which is, of course, open much too low to properly rein her in, considering her bra is the wrong size for her. I sigh. “Well, I’d better get over there before my friend loses what dignity she has left.” My tone is acidic, and Larry looks over his shoulder, then turns to look at me with the oddest expression, as though to say, “You know that girl?” His lips are twitching again, as though he’s trying not to laugh.

Adam looks, blinks, and rubs a hand over his face. I chuckle. “Yeah, she looks stupid. Go ahead and laugh. I’m certainly going to laugh at her. And when I get over there, I’ll tell her how stupid she looks, too.”

They break into laughter, and I walk over to the table, saying to Stacy, “Sit down before you assault someone with a deadly boob.”

“what’s a boob?” Stacy says snippily, trying to be flip with me. She knows very well what ‘boob’ means.

“You know, one of those water cannons you call breasts?” I intone sarcastically, leaning forward to leer at her like a pirate.

“Don’t hate me because I’m sexy.” She returns, arching her back so that they stick out even further – not that they need any help.

“Yeah, I’m dying of jealousy, here.” Fact is, I couldn’t care less that she’s sexy. It’s all she feels she has going for herself, I guess. She is actually very beautiful, if only she would recognize that true beauty is an internal thing, not an external one.

She’s young yet; at twenty-six, she has time to learn the lessons I have.

I hoped, anyway.

I flick a hand over my freshly twisted locs, and settle back in my chair, raising an eyebrow at Jon. He gives me that familiar buck-toothed smile and says, “So, birthday girl, weren’t you supposed to wear something sexy tonight?”

I retort, “I did.”

“Where? I can’t see it.”

“Nonya; it’s my business.” I grin devilishly at him. He’d tried to date me once, but I’d turned him down. The idea was repulsive. Even if I found him remotely attractive – which I don’t – the fact that he once dated a friend of mine made me less than sanguine on the prospect.

“How you going to get a man if you don’t look sexy?” Stacy objects, readjusting her shirt and bra strap. I roll my eyes.

“Ha’bout I’ll use my brain instead of my breasts in the even that I need to get a man?” I ask sarcastically. “You might find it hard to believe, Stace, but there are men out there who prefer a woman who doesn’t lay all her cards on the table. It’s also an interesting factoid that men like undressing a woman with his eyes. The more he has to take off, the better his imagination.”

Of course, Jon is excluded from that. One probably needs to be obvious to get his attention.

The man’s a virtual Neanderthal.

He looks like one, too, just a bit – complete with sloping forehead and beaky nose.

I’ll never tell him, poor child.

“Oh, please. Men want to see tits and ass – “ Stacy begins.

“Sure, if you’re a stripper or work at Hooters’. But if they want one to take home to Mama, they want one who knows how to cover her tits and ass properly and act like she’s got some sense.” I’m a firm believer in being sensual, not sexy; work a man’s mind and you’ll keep him forever. Mystery is good.

Stacy rolls her eyes and scoffs. “Please. That’s why you ain’t got no man now; you don’t know how to catch a man’s eye.”

“If you say so, Stacy, if you say so.” I wasn’t going to argue with the child; I’m rather more particular than she is in any case, and I suspect she’s probably right: I don’t know how to ‘get a man’ in the traditional sense.

That’s rarely stopped me from attracting the more intelligent of the masculine half of the species.

I’ll leave the fire-breathing, knuckle-dragging, belly-scratching, low-down, fuzzy-lipped dogs to Stacy. They’re her specialty.

A waitress slides over to the table with a bottle of very expensive champagne. I know by the label that it’s at least a hundred bucks, even if I don’t know the company who made it. “The gentleman at the bar sent this to you.” She smiles at me, her eyes envious. I grin, turn it over in my hands.

For one second, I regret my Baha’i values; we don’t drink alcohol. “Give him my thanks.” I set the bottle on the table, eyeing Larry’s blond head – he hadn’t turned around – from beneath my lashes.

The man is smooth. Old fashioned, but smooth.

Class will get you everywhere with a woman.

But then, he knows that.

Stacy starts to reach for the bottle to open it. I swipe it out of her hands, warning her off with a scowl. “Mine.”

“You can’t drink it,” Stacy and Jon say in unison.

“So? I’m taking it over to him myself to tell him that, idiot.” I indicate Larry with a wave of my hand.

“Eww, he’s white!” Stacy objects.

“Well, he’s Irish, actually.” I correct her absently.

“So? He ain’t black!”

“Oh, dear!” I slap a hand to my forehead. “Whatever shall I do?” I use my best, most posh Adam-esque accent on her, rolling my eyes for effect. And then I ignore them both and head over to the bar.

Two: Sweetest Goodbye

Pushing forward then arching back bringing me closer to heart attack
Say goodbye then just fly away; when you come back, I’ll have something to say:
How does it feel to know you’ll never have to be alone when you get home?
There must be someplace where you and I can go to be alone so that I can show you how I feel

I wanted it to be over with already. He doesn’t seem to notice; he just pounds away with mind-numbing, body-bruising regularity. His satisfaction is all that matters to him. I could be a blow up doll for all that he notices me lying like a dead fish beneath him.

Does it matter?

He’s the big man on campus.

Do
I matter?

The other girls will be jealous.

I will be called a slut, a whore, a fallen woman.

Slut.

Whore.

Bitch.

I close my eyes; I remind myself silently that it will be over soon. Finally, he finishes, rolls off me. He breathes heavily, satisfied that he has done a great thing to me. But oh! How I beg to differ: my thighs are sore; I do not want to think about the other parts that he has used so cruelly. I am too tired to cry; to weary and empty in soul to even consider it.

He snores away, squeezing me possessively, expecting me to be asleep, happy that he has used me as his personal wastebasket.

The tears pry their way to the outside, few and bitter, crystal clear and salty.

I do not wipe them away.

He will not see them, anyway.

Start bending me
It’s never enough
I feel all your pieces

Start bending me
Keep bending me until I’m completely broken in

I shake my head to clear away the memory, and plaster a nervous smile over my face. I don’t want Larry to think I’m upset with him – because I’m not. It’s the nicest thing anyone has done for me in, oh, weeks. And on my birthday, too – a member of my favorite band has just – very subtly – invited me to consider a date. Or something similar; I’m never quite sure what that sending of wine means, only that the person really likes you if it’s expensive. And I suppose it is pretty damned expensive. I don’t recognize the name on the label.

Larry’s back is to me, and I take a second to observe the broad shoulders, the slender torso, the perfectly cut – if messy – hair. Adam turns his head, gives me a long, puppy-dog gentle ( I don’t know why I think sad hound dog puppy when I look at him ) look out of soft blue eyes, and starts to nudge Larry. I put a hand to my lips and smile reassuringly. I want him to know it isn’t a rejection. He gets it, grins, and says casually to Larry, “Be right back, mate. Got business I really need to attend to.”

“Okay.” Larry’s voice is absent. He’s resting his chin in hand, elbow on the bar as he stares absently into space – or the grill area, I can’t be sure.

I slide into the seat next to Larry, and set the bottle down solemnly between us.

He turns his head slightly, sees the bottle, then looks up at me.

His face is a study in disappointment, just an eye blink before he settles into his usual poker face. Before he can say a word, I disabuse him of his mistaken assumption. “I appreciate the spirit of the offer.”

He smiles tentatively. “So. Hi. I’m Larry.”

I can’t resist. “Hi, Larry.” I opt for the stilted, overly friendly way a.a. meetings are touted to begin. He blinks at me for a moment, not sure whether to laugh or not. “Sorry – I tend to have a very strange sense of humor. I’m Jude.”

He chuckles. “Oh, yeah. The typical A.A. meeting joke, right.”

“No, that one’s, ‘Hi. My name is Jude, and I’m al alcoholic.’ ‘HI, JUDE.’”

He frowns at me. “That’s not supposed to be funny, you know. It’s a really serious thing.”

I nod. “Yes, yes it is; that doesn’t mean we alkies and baby alkies don’t have a good laugh over things. One can be serious without being solemn. Really, I take it seriously, I just get a giggle out of the way the formula is held so tightly sometimes, for fear deviation will cause destruction. It doesn’t.”

He considers me carefully, his brows drawn down over his eyes. He looks, for all the world, like a pterodactyl ready to fly away. Not the most flattering of thoughts, but I like pterodactyls. They’re cool, those dinos. “Ask Adam about it, sometime – I’m sure he can give you an idea of what it’s like. We develop a sense of humor that’s out of time with the rest of the world, just to stay sane.”

He still doesn’t get it, I can tell; he just nods, twisting the bottle in his hands. “I suppose it’s something I don’t have to understand.”

I touch his wrist gently. The hair covering it is very soft, and very silky. “You know, I’d like to keep the bottle, anyway. It’s pretty.”

“Even though you can’t drink it?”

“I never said I couldn’t. I probably will. But not tonight; I’ll take it home, savor the look of it, and when I find an occasion to open it, I will.”

“But not tonight.”

“Because tonight, I want to happily have my wits about me while dancing with the famously shy Larry Mullen jr.” I deliberately keep my voice soft; not that may people here would recognize him; for all his good looks, he’s utterly average when in a crowd. It’s got something to do with his height, I think.

He smiles at me, with a roguish smile that makes him look very young, indeed. “Okay. I can handle that.” To the floor we go, and ironically enough, an Elvis song begins to play.

“Adam.” We both say, amused.

Don't wanna be the one who turns the whole thing over
Don't wanna be somewhere where I just don't belong
Where it's not enough just be sorry
Don't you know I feel the darkness closing in

I go to school the next day and am unsurprised by the way I’m treated by most of the women. I am a whore-slut-bitch. I have stolen the virtue of the captain of the football team, the golden boy, every girl’s fantasy boyfriend. How dared I? I, with my uncoolness, my rabid disdain for their popularity, their shallow insignificance, their utter uselessness, their vanilla sameness wrapped in chocolate packaging, managed to catch his eye.

How dared I, the unpopular, ugly, nappy-headed, intellectual, grungy-goth, glasses-wearing freak – how dared I presume to catch his eye and have sex with him? Without even half trying? There ought to be a law, those looks said venomously. There ought to be a law against this kind of outrage.

If only they knew.

I feel so empty inside.

Does it matter?

The rumors run that I am easy.

Do I matter?

The consensus is no.

And yet, last night, I danced with Larry Mullen, and hung out with Adam Clayton, who understood my outsiderhood. They made my birthday so memorable; I’d forgotten Johnny and Stacy’s unease at being ‘forced’ to hang out with white men. They actually came around, because neither Larry nor Adam can be accused of anti-black sentiment of any kind; they were surprised when Adam actually readily admitted to having dated a Black woman.

Of course, it didn’t hurt him in Johnny’s eyes that it was Naomi Campbell, though Stacy wasn’t too happy about that.

She wasn’t happy that I was the center of attention, as well.

Hysterically enough, Larry gave me an all access pass to the concert tonight.

I would have been a fool to turn it down, especially since it invited me backstage after the concert. That alone made me a bit less empty, though I wonder why he did it? Is it about sex? I don’t know that it is; he doesn’t seem the type. Adam? Maybe, had it been ten years earlier. But Larry is such an old soul it doesn’t seem likely.

I hold the passes to my heart, and the memories.

I do matter to someone, even just a little.

Don't think that I can take another empty moment
Don't think that I can fake another hollow smile
It's not enough just to be sorry
Don't think that I could take another talk about it

Sometimes they come to me in pieces; sometimes they come to me in whole slews of pages, magically writing themselves against the backdrop of my broken childhood, these stories.

I was never a child.

My father never cared enough to grow up, and my mother was too weak to stand on her own. I walked – still do – in shoes too big for one small girl to fill. Nobody seems to understand that I’m too small to fill the shoes that I’ve been forced to walk in these many miles. I am a freak, not black, not white, but some kind of social construct, placed in urban Black America to be beaten down by the slavering (am I the only one who wonders why ‘slave’ is the root of ‘slavering’?) masses who are afraid of my uniqueness. I can smell the fear of my depth in these ignorant ghetto children – I never fit in, from my speech, to my lonerish ways, to my definite knowledge of my own superiority (perhaps a bit of conceit, but it wasn’t difficult, then, to believe I was morally superior and vastly more intelligent, if an underachiever.) I hide behind false vapidity and childishness, going through my day with contempt but thinly veiled.

I hate myself even more for my arrogance.

Somehow I manage to get through my day, despite the hostility – and fight I just barely avoided getting arrested and in serious trouble for. I make my way home, and fight with my mother, who then screams at me to do all the housework so that she doesn’t have to do it. She has a date tonight; she doesn’t want her new man thinking she isn’t a good housekeeper. She isn’t, but no need for the men she ‘entertains’ to know about this. I work until nightfall.

I go to bed.

I try to pretend not to hear the sounds of her and her newest man screwing with me barely three feet away, in the same room, no less.

It’s no wonder I don’t respect myself.

No one else ever has, including my mother.

At least the stories gained earn me great grades in English Lit.

They then drink themselves into a stupor, and I manage to escape the house without them noticing I’d even moved. I take to the streets, wandering aimlessly. I gradually leave the stinking ghetto behind and end up downtown, watching the rich and unconcerned pass me by as though I do not exist.

That’s fine by me.

For whatever reason, I take no real notice of the one lone figure who doesn’t seem to have moved at all.

Last edited:
Three: Womanfish

Nicky's in the corner
With a black coat on
Running from a bad home
With some cat inside

Now where did you find her
Among the neon lights
That haunt the streets outside
Stay with me

Beautiful girl (stay with me)
She wants to go home

“Baby, please..stay.”

She runs her fingers through my hair, says nothing.

“Let me make love with you again and again. Not enough time to ease this hunger tonight – please, I need you to stay until I belong to you.” I whisper, crushing her against me. “I..I need it. It’s been so long since I’ve been held. Since I’ve loved like this – I’m lonely. I need you. I love you.” I can’t believe this; the tears slide down my cheeks, and I bury my face in her neck helplessly. I’ve never admitted to being lonely before; I’ve always pretended to stand strong, and aloof. To know that I need someone this badly has shaken me.

“I can’t; you know I can’t. I have a husband and children, Larry.” Salome says against my hair, stroking the much-shortened blond locks with long slim fingers. I sigh, tighten my hold on her. She would be bruised in the morning, but so would my heart. But for tonight – tonight I could hold her, and pretend she’s not going to leave me. Like all the others. Like all the others.

“Hold me until I sleep, then. I don’t want to see you go.” I know – I know – she won’t be back after tonight. There had been an urgent finality to our lovemaking, a fire we had known only that first night, when I’d seen her hovering like some exotic bird outside my hotel. I’d invited her up. There had been no words, no preliminaries. We’d clung, desperate and hungry, to each other, loved with wild abandon. Since then, for months, I would fly to see her. We would make love, hold and cuddle each other, and talk. We were both so lonely; so haunted by our pasts, and her present. Her marriage still lives; my Ann is gone. She left me four years ago. The children love me, but they stay away from the sadness in my eyes. They know how often I dream of her; Ava has taken to sleeping with me, just to give me someone to hold when the pain is too great. How many times has she soothed my hair from my eyes as I cried into her shoulder?

They’re so young to have to deal with this kind of grief.

My sons – they don’t know why it hurts so. Elvis just stares at me as though I’m a stranger, and Ezra tries so hard to be a good boy, as though it’s his fault she’s gone. I don’t know how to reassure them. So I stay away, when I can. And when I can’t, I lavish love on them, trying to ease a pain that won’t go away. So I try to bury it in lovers. Only it won’t leave me, this deep hurt. I dream of her still, when I sleep.

Ann. How I need you, still, love. Come back to me.

All unknowing, I slide into sleep, feeling safe in Salome’s arms.

I need 2 feel wanted again
I need 2 feel love is alive, yeah
I need 2 hear U say that U ain't looking 4 another reason 2 make me cry

She’s gone. I know it ere I open my eyes. One in the morning, and she’s gone. I run tired hands over my face, and sigh. Restlessness assails me; I have to go. Outside, to do something – what, I don’t know. I just want to leave. I just need to get away. I need to get her out of my head. I pull on clothes, stretching against the restriction of a spine crooked all my life, though the surgeries helped straighten it a bit.

Out into the chilly night I stroll, managing to get away from the minder by the simple expedient of glaring at him and telling him that he is to stay put on pain of getting physically maimed if he followed me. I’m perfectly capable of watching out for myself. I ignore the pained, dull throbbing of my heart. I cannot ignore the tears. I scrub at my face absently, looking out over Grant Park with unseeing eyes. I can’t go on like this: finding lovers who will only leave me. I ache for permanence; I ache for that gentle loving that stays even through the twilight years. I had that with Ann. Only, she decided she'd had enough of me being gone so much long before our lives reached their end. Adam picked up on the spiral of depression – and the drinking – and somehow managed to pull me out of it before I’d destroyed myself. Adam. People don’t realize the depth of that man – I think he likes it that way. That way, he gets to be a slacker with unexpected wisdom.

I’m jealous of that.

Out of the corner of my eye, I notice her – wrapped in a coat much too large for her, that girl I’d danced with before. I still remember the casual air of supreme
confidence she wears like a mantle. Only she’s not wearing it now. She looks lost, like a fawn without its mother. She doesn’t notice the people moving past her. She doesn’t notice me watching her.

But somehow I know this girl is aware of me, if only in a distant, vague sort of way. She’s got a way of watching about her, a stillness that reminds me of Adam, that way. He doesn’t seem to pay attention, either, but he does. When it’s important to know, he knows. I want to approach her, but I’m not sure I should, with the scent of Salome still on me.

Maybe she’s lonely like me. Maybe I can talk to her.

Oh, I ache. I ache. I move toward her, needing to hear her voice, her laughter; to see her understanding and gentleness. Please, baby, don’t leave me here alone. Help me ease this ache…

She's so scared
So very frightened
Anything could happen
Right here tonight

She wants to go home

Last edited:
[b] Holding Back the Years [/b]

Author's Note: Bored, so I finished this one. Yes, it's wierd. :p

Holding back the years; thinking of the fear I’ve had for so long.
When somebody hears: listen to the fear that’s gone.
Strangled by the wishes of pater; hoping for the arm of mater,
Get to me sooner or later; nothing ever could, yeah

I’ll keep holding on

Chance for me to escape from all I know.
Holding back the tears, ‘cause nothing here has grown.
I’ve wasted all my tears; wasted all those years.
Nothing had the chance to be good; nothing ever could, yeah.

I’ll keep holding on so tight.

We stayed in my room for hours. Sometimes we talked. Sometimes we waited in silence. We even slept, wrapped in each other's arms like lovers, though I haven't touched her. She's too fragile; so am I. For once, I find comfort in merely touching and being touched. It's been so long since I've felt like that.

Ann.

She looks at me, her soft brown eyes serious. "Do you think you should go after her?"

I'd spoken aloud.

I shake my head, vehemently. "She left me. She should come after me."

"So stubborn, Lawrence." Dryly amused, her voice is nonetheless a balm on my wounded soul. She cradles my face in her hands. "You love her, Larry. She doesn't know that. That's why she left. Don't you know that? She wants to know she's first in your life."

"She wants me to stop drumming." I am sure of it. I try to look away, to shake her loose.

She's much stronger that I'd thought. "No, Larry. She wants to know that she has a place in your heart. She wants you to talk to her, to be with her. You pull away and withdraw, so she finally let you push her right out of the life you'd built together."

"How do you know?" I rage, pushing her. "You're just a kid. You wouldn't have any idea about it, anyway. Do you know her?"

"You do. And you told me everything I need to know. Go after her. For once in your miserable life, don't be careful! Do something irrational. Go after her, Larry, and conquer her. Are you a man or a mouse?" She stares at me, a long, slender woman with short locks, fierce and elfish and Sidhe.

I stuff my hands in my pockets.

I am afraid.

And yet, I need her.

I need her so badly.

Damn this girl for being so right. I turn, sweep my jacket off the chair, and stalk out the door. I have to go get Ann. And I know where she is - Elvis told me she'd started teaching in Chicago. At Robert Morris, she's teaching Irish history.

"She has a class tonight."

I blink. Judah is standing next to me in the elevator, looking spooky and mysterious.

"How'd.."

She merely laughs and walks away into the night.

I shiver.

It takes two to make it and I know you can take it
Ah, yeah, here I come; I'm back for a taste of your love
Here I come; yes I'm coming back for you now

I find the school, and the classroom. Class has just ended; she's packing her stuff.

I close the door, deliberately startling her. She stares at me, angry and defensive. "It's not your time with the kids, Larry."

"I want you." I rasp, starting for her. "I need you."

"It's over between us," She objects, putting the desk between us, fear in her eyes. I must look like a madman, come to kill her. I lunge, catch her arm, yank her against me in a bone-crushing embrace. I bury my face in her hair. "Please, Ann? Please.."

Helpless, I begin to sob. God help me, I need this woman!

"Let me go." She snaps, struggling.

"Not yet.." I whisper, pressing my lips to her cheek. "Ann, I love you - these years without you have left me bereft of the sun. Please, please come back to me. Just come back to me. I love drumming - I need you more than anything. I'll give it up if you want me to. We'll knock it in the head, whatever you want - I need you too much. The house is empty without you."

She stares up at me, tears glistening in her eyes. "What about all the women you've been sleeping with? Don't think I don't know about it." She's outraged at me for it, too. I try to swallow a laugh, but can't. It's a sardonic sound, rasping and painful.

"Do you really think they're worth anything to me? I keep trying to fill the hole you lft in my heart - you're the only one who can fill it for me."

"You're a jerk." She doesn't sound so angry now.

"I am." I agree, holding her hips close against mine; let her feel what she does to me when she talks like that.

"I hate you."

"I know."

She kisses me passionately.

I press her into the desk, and love her with all my soul.

And...the last chapter!

Five: My Lost Weekend

cause you tremble with a problem; you carry the weight of pain from the past

The sunshine in my soul is here to tell you that pain doesn’t have to last
The love that’s in my heart is here to pray that pain will go away
Feel it honey blowin’ away

As I am wheeled into the surgery room for my top surgery, I look back on that long weekend; I smile to myself, knowing that all will be well; all will be balanced. Today, I begin to live as I was truly meant to live; I'll be a man.

And Larry? Larry will have learned to let go; to not try and bodyguard his heart so much he loses the most important thing he has: his family.

They hadn't knocked U2 in the head. Ann didn't want to take away his passion, just feel like she meant something to him.

He'd written me a thank-you note. He'd also arranged for me to have my surgery, at Ann's insistence, and over my objections.

I didn't argue with the stubborn mule over it; it got me where I needed to be. Here.

So we're both happy.

Turn the clock all the way back
I wonder if she'll take me back
I'm thinking in a brand new way

Turn the clock to zero, sister
You'll never know how much I missed her
Starting up a brand new day

Turn the clock to zero, boss
The river's wide, we'll swim across
Started up a brand new day

I walk out of the hospital after my first post-op checkup, feeling the sunshine on my face, brightening my soul. I walk taller, now, my chest flat, my body lean and elegant. I live in L.A., now, where nobody will look at me crossways. I haven't heard from my family in six months. They have disowned me. I don't care.

I've got a new family, now: Larry and Ann sort of adopted me as a younger brother.

I can't resist smiling at people today.

I've escaped death of the soul.

I've gone through my dark night, and become a new person, literally and figuratively speaking.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom