Golden Globes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Great pics Mel as usual!!
Thanks for posting, any info on Bono's family emergency?
Hopefully it wont be anything too serious.:sad:

:sad: I was really excited to see him there last night and was also hoping that he would be on the red carpet.....but he wasnt :sad: and I didnt even see when they showed Gavin.........I really really hope everything is ok with Bono and his family :sad: :sad:

From U2Guatemala Gavin looks like he's wearing a Bono outfit

gg_corrfriday01.jpg

gg_corrfriday02.jpg

Bono is fine...

Interesting pix, Mel! Is it correct to say that you were one of the credentialed photographers near the Red Carpet? Did you score a ticket into the event?! If not, any other interesting stories to share with us?

I did attend the show, and got to chat with Gavin for a little while. Just to calm any nervous worries, Bono is fine back in Ireland. The only actual quote from Gavin would be something we've heard before said in a humorous way: "Bono's good. He's back home taking care of his day job; you know he's too busy saving the world these days!". Somebody (not Mel) offered a heads up on Friday afternoon, stating that Bono had left Los Angeles with little notice, and it turns out that this rumor was absolutely true with the correct info coming from the inside. I was a little bummed when I heard the rumors, as I would have been able to say hello to the B-man.

Alas, we'll leave it that although they may have stood little chance to win, both Gavin and Andrea had their share of fun last night during the dinner ceremony and all the after-parties that they bounced around. I didn't see the two hanging out with Gwen Stefani at all, oddly enough. And yes, those two certainly did knock back gallons of Champagne, which would certainly have met the approval of their missing Irishman and drinking mate!!!

Re: Bono is fine...

drunken one said:
Interesting pix, Mel! Is it correct to say that you were one of the credentialed photographers near the Red Carpet? Did you score a ticket into the event?! If not, any other interesting stories to share with us?

Thx & no... I was just bein' a fan. :wink: Nothing too special or exciting... Tho I think it's fab you got to chat with Gav... And I'm glad to hear Bono's ok. I first heard the rumors on another forum, but I don't know the person who posted them personally... And I don't always believe everything I read. ;)

Re: Bono is fine...

Thanks,

drunken one said:

I did attend the show, and got to chat with Gavin for a little while. Just to calm any nervous worries, Bono is fine back in Ireland. The only actual quote from Gavin would be something we've heard before said in a humorous way: "Bono's good. He's back home taking care of his day job; you know he's too busy saving the world these days!". Somebody (not Mel) offered a heads up on Friday afternoon, stating that Bono had left Los Angeles with little notice, and it turns out that this rumor was absolutely true with the correct info coming from the inside. I was a little bummed when I heard the rumors, as I would have been able to say hello to the B-man.

And your credentials are, What? Thanks for the info, but before you ask for someone's elses credentials you should present your own. No offense... but just who are you?

I apologize if I offended you by not giving my credentials first. Here are my credentials: an invited guest to the show with a $600.oo ticket in my name in hand. I'm not trying to show up Mel or anybody at all, and it's too bad you read it that way!

And considering that I too am a longtime supporter of U2, I think that it was rather cool for Mel to be so close to the action, simply being a fan - my understanding was that everyday fans were not allowed to be on the property, unless they were either a guest of the Beverly Hilton, a credentialed worker, or a ticketed guest. If I did not have my own access into the show, my next question to Mel would have been "dang, woman! share your secret as to how the rest of the fans can also get so close to the red carpet!".

Perhaps that is Mel's secret to keep! :hmm:

drunken one said:
...my next question to Mel would have been "dang, woman! share your secret as to how the rest of the fans can also get so close to the red carpet!".

Perhaps that is Mel's secret to keep! :hmm:

Actually, I wasn't at the red carpet at all. When they taped red carpet arrivals, I was chowing down on a Belgium waffle at Canter's with friends... Yum! :drool: That waffle was delish! And then a handful of us went shopping at this cool record store I hadn't been to before... Even scored myself a copy of UABRS on vinyl with the original Electric Co. -- unedited -- for only $2.99! I was like :ohmy: !

Ok, well, I'm rambling on now, lol... Cheers!
-Mel

Alright, now you've got me confused, Mel :confused: I thought your pix of Gavin, Andrea, Jim and Maurice were taken as they were getting out of the Limos at the entrance of the Red Carpet, near Robinsons & May (the dept store). That was what the angle looked like. Thus, where did you get your pix of the gang??? A nice souvenir, none the less!!!

drunken one said:
Alright, now you've got me confused, Mel :confused:

Well, actually you've got me a bit perplexed and intrigued. Most of my friends work in the film industry, as does my husband... heck one of my best friend's worked for Miramax and one of her jobs was being a coordinator for their parties, one of which included last year's Golden Globes after party at Trader Vic's, and she wasn't able to get anyone in. In the 5 years I've lived in LA not one of my various Producer, actor, et al., friends have ever been able to get me an invite to an award show or after party. Some of them even have trouble getting their spouses in to certain events. For example, my friend Jen, who is now the President of Reese Witherspoon's production company but was an assistant to Barry Mendel, couldn't get her own husband into a screening!

So, I'm a bit curious about how you got in as "an invited guest to the show with a $600.oo ticket in [your] name." To me, that's the million dollar question, lol. :eyebrow: :shrug:

Thanks for sharing your pics and stories!

I hope Bono and family are okay.

Just to clarify, although I too am affiliated with the entertaiment industry, I am not a bigwig or celebrity but rather someone with a lucky connection within the event production (Dick Clark Productions/HFPA). Whether U2/Bono were there or not, I would be at the show so long as the ticket allocation allowed; I do not go every single year etc. The past two years with the U2 connection has just been a bonus.

Tickets and access to the after parties are always a mess for these Hollywood functions. I mean, I had a ticket this year, when countless non-nominated celebs, industry execs and shakers (such as politicians) were denied a ticket. Go figure!

Regarding the afterparty situation, Miramax (where U2 was) stuck out last year as violating some of the ground-rules of the Globes afterparties, and they weren't the smoothest-run gig this year either (they gave out gift bags when they were told not to, not that I minded!). I overheard someone mentioning that Miramax may not be welcomed back next year to host a party (knowing that studios need to be invited back to host parties), although this has nothing to do with this thread.

One U2-related thing I recall about Miramax last year was when Tour Manager Dennis Sheehan was DENIED re-entry back into that party by Miramax people, after he retrieved a shall for Morleigh, because he was a nobody in the world of movies and tv. From what I heard, Miramax in particular is also poor when it comes to taking care of the voting population (Oscars/Globes), by scheduling inconvenient screening review times etc.

Regarding Ali, I don't believe she pulled him back to Ireland, because all indications were that she too was supposed to have been there. But we are not them, and we may never know or need to know what happened. It looks as though Andrea Corr simply took Bono's ticket (and alcoholic beverages) this year.

Hope this confused you even more, Mel! J/k! :wink: Hey, you still didn't say when/where you took your pics of Gavin and gang!!!

drunken one said:
Hope this confused you even more, Mel! J/k! :wink: Hey, you still didn't say when/where you took your pics of Gavin and gang!!!

Actually that makes perfect sense (to me, anyhow)... Miramax is not the best run studio in town, that's fer sure! ;)

Sorry I forgot to answer yer question, I guess me curiosity got the better of me... heh heh :reject:

I was hanging with a bunch of friends in West Hollywood and just happened to be lucky enough to see a gaggle of limos and then Jim Sheridan appearing, whom many seemed to not recognize, so I began snapping pics. I used to be a pro photog back in Boston, it's still close to my heart, so it's my fave hobby... And since I got this new camera -- a Minolta DiMage7 5.2 M 7x -- I carry it with me everywhere... It has loads of features that boggle me wee brain :combust:, lol. (You should see some of my "sticking the cam out the window while driving shots" -- haha... they're terrible!) But *shrug* One thing I learned back then was that you should always have a cam coz you just never know...:wink: *crosses fingers*

That's cool in itself, being at the right place at the right time; they must have been on their way to the show! And I'm glad you understand the situation with Miramax - you seem very familiar with the Hollywood "routine"! :) Thanks for sharing the pics with the fan community.

Back
Top Bottom