Gavin Friday radio interview...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

~fairy_girl~

Acrobat
Not sure if i should have posted it here or not but i just wanted to tell you that there was a radio interview with him and maurice seezer, a couple weeks ago actually,

anyway, they were on a radio show takling about 'In America' and the song they both wrote with Bono, that Andrea Corr sings.

you can download the interview at www.gavinfriday.com

and yes you hear 3 songs from the movie in the interview, inc 'time enough for tears' :cute:

i did transcribe part of the interview from what i could make out lol, (the part where they talk about 'time enough for tears' and andrea corr, for the benefit of corrs fans...)

here it is, if anyones interested

dj: the thing i want to ask you about it, theres a song on this soundtrack,

yes

dj: um it s sung by andrea corr

uhuh

dj: you played this to me a long time ango and immediately i thought its the best thing shes ever done, ever, extraudinary, and no harm to the corrs but its the first time andreas ever been played on this show, if you know what i mean

dj: and i mean lovely people love th3 corrs etc etc and no disrespect but its unlikely that the corrs are ever gonna make anything thst gonna appear on this programme and then suddenly andrea sings this song with you guys. what happened there? did you have to twist arms? did you have to... or was it a simple straightforward thing...

Gavin: it was a few things uh, first of all when we were working on the song as i said before, narrative is a true perspective of a 12 year old girl so it was pretty obvious it had to be a female singer that sang the song, in our heads. but uh, andrea went to see the movie, jim had a special screnning for different musicians and friends, she actually went to see it with bono at the time. both of them were very taken and she was actually quite devastated by it because she lost her mam a few years ago and also she lost a sibling when she was quite young,

dj: right.

Gavin: uh so she connected with this emotionally and you know it came up that maybe she should work with us and basicly we locked her in the toilet for 2 hours,

Maurice: ah she was, it was amazing actually, she came in, we had a basic idea, we had worked thru it with bono and bono had come up with 95% of the lyrics and he had actually wrote it, we brung them in the day before, we put them into some sort of rhythmic shape in relation to the music, the melody we thouight might work, which bono and gavin and andrea had sorta half worked on, and so then andrea came in and uh she sang it once to learn it, and went back into the toilet where we had the mic, and sung it a second time and that was the take, and that is no word of a lie. it was one full take, the second time she ever sang the song, i was blown away.

DJ: and theres a great sort of reality in her voice..

Mauriceor Gavin: but when we were mixing it we were doing some backing vocals and harmonies and stuff, and she was adamant that we didnt touch the lead vocal the one take,

Maurice or Gavin: well its an eye opener this and you know, it shows what andrea can do it shows, uh we were talking to lanois, lanois was in here the other night 'get a load of emmy lou' and what he did with them to get the best out of them you've clearly done that.

after TEFT...

DJ: thats pretty beautiful isnt it?

Maurice: gorgeous

Gavin: i dont know we're biased.

DJ: would you give her a kiss would you?

Gavin: i would of course of course!

DJ: so thats, what we have there is gavin friday and maurice seezer and bono, and sung by andrea, and it was sung and recorded in a toilet

Maurice: our toilet, a sorta dublin/dundalk conspiracy.

its a really fantastic film by the way :cute: the whole soundtrack is out soon too, 24th november i think ?

~fairy_girl~ said:
DJ: would you give her a kiss would you?

Gavin: i would of course of course!

THIS is so CUTE!!!

Thank you for taht! This is the interview i MISSED actually myself!

Hi,

just wanted to make some corrections to the transcript - Hailey got some of the voices wrong.

john kelly: the thing i want to ask you about it, theres a song on this soundtrack,

Gavin: yes

john kelly: um it s sung by andrea corr

Gavin: uhuh

john kelly: you played this to me a long time ango and immediately i thought its the best thing shes ever done, ever, extraudinary, and no harm to the corrs but its the first time andreas ever been played on this show, if you know what i mean

john kelly: and i mean lovely people love th3 corrs etc etc and no disrespect but its unlikely that the corrs are ever gonna make anything thst gonna appear on this programme and then suddenly andrea sings this song with you guys. what happened there? did you have to twist arms? did you have to... or was it a simple straightforward thing...

Gavin: it was a few things uh, first of all when we were working on the song as i said before, narrative is a true perspective of a 12 year old girl so it was pretty obvious it had to be a female singer that sang the song, in our heads. but uh, andrea went to see the movie, jim had a special screnning for different musicians and friends, she actually went to see it with bono at the time. both of them were very taken and she was actually quite devastated by it because she lost her mam a few years ago and also she lost a sibling when she was quite young,

john kelly: right.

Gavin: uh so she connected with this emotionally and you know it came up that maybe she should work with us and basicly we locked her in the toilet for 2 hours,

Maurice: ah she was, it was amazing actually, she came in, we had a basic idea, we had worked thru it with bono and bono had come up with 95% of the lyrics and he had actually wrote it, we brung them in the day before, we put them into some sort of rhythmic shape in relation to the music, the melody we thouight might work, which bono and gavin and andrea had sorta half worked on, and so then andrea came in and uh she sang it once to learn it, and went back into the toilet where we had the mic, and sung it a second time and that was the take, and that is no word of a lie. it was one full take, the second time she ever sang the song, i was blown away.

Gav: and theres a great sort of reality in her voice..

Maurice: but when we were mixing it we were doing some backing vocals and harmonies and stuff, and she was adamant that we didnt touch the lead vocal the one take,

john kelly: well its an eye opener this and you know, it shows what andrea can do it shows, uh we were talking to lanois, lanois was in here the other night 'get a load of emmy lou' and what he did with them to get the best out of them you've clearly done that.

after TEFT...

john kelly: thats pretty beautiful isnt it?

Maurice: gorgeous

Gavin: i dont know we're biased.

Gavin: would you give her a kiss would you?

john kelly: i would of course of course!

john kelly: so thats, what we have there is gavin friday and maurice seezer and bono, and sung by andrea, and it was sung and recorded in a toilet

Gavin: our toilet, a sorta dublin/dundalk conspiracy.

Back
Top Bottom