Gavin Friday, Has anyone met him.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adamswildhoney

ONE love, blood, life
Just wondering if anyone has met Mr Friday while seeing U2. My brother and I want to try to meet him when we go to the Portland show (heard rumour he might be there). Just curious if anyone else met him at a concert? before or after a show??

;)

I saw him coming out of his hotel (which was also my hotel) and I said, "Hi Gavin!" and he smiled and waved, seemed very cool with the attention. He's often back by the soundboard during shows, so look for him there.

I've never met the guy,i know he had a shitty band,but mostly he's remembered just for being a U2 hang on as far as i gather,he hang's around the band like a stung bee

I met him in in town 2 years ago and Maurice Seezer was there as well. They are both very, very nice lads and we had a cool little chat. I got my pic taken with him, but I'll post it later because I'm off to see some friends now. :)

I first heard of him when watching the Chicago Beyond the Tour docu, and I have to agree withclaytons edge's negative opinion. He leaves an impression of a loudmouth, annoying lout and I think he just struck life lottery by getting to know bono "when we were 10 or 11 on Caedarwood Drive". Won't you just kill to be a "consultant to U2" too? Your say actually having an impact on the work U2 produces?

I have met Gavin and he was amazing. He's not only a very nice man but also very respectful and very caring of U2 fans and his own fans.

For those of you who think that he is only famous for being Bono's friend ... you're wrong. The man is considered one of the most talented artists in Ireland. He has a great voice, and he is well known in the business for producing great soundtracks and many talented and recognised artists go to Dublin to record their albums just to work with him.
Besides, to understand how much he influences U2, you need to see Gavin performing to realise that Bono takes 90% of his moves from Gavin.

And one more thing, the reason why U2 hired him as a consultant is because Gavin is very professional and the band knows that Gavin Friday speaks his mind and he will provide the right feedback to them. Gavin will say what he thinks whether U2 likes it or not, the band trusts him and respects his opinions and ideas.

Have a nice day,

Blue.

I saw him at one of the LA shows back in April of this year. I was leaving the ellipse area heading back toward the soundboard and he was walking toward me. I immediately said: "Hi Gavin!" and he looked at me with this look, you know who I am, surprised look...He said: "Hello!"...
That was my Gavin encounter...:wink:

We have met Gavin a few times now and he is always very charming (bit like Bono!!!) havent met him at a U2 concert though its always been in Dublin and London.

Blue is right. The Virgin Prunes were a very well known band in Ireland (and Europe for that matter), even before U2 ever got anywhere. Gavin is a very talented guy, just listen to the film scores that he has produced.

There has been alot of Gavin-slagging on this site, mostly from people who have formed an opinion based on a small amount of footage from the Chicago DVD. Calling somebody a "loudmouth, annoying lout" from such a clip is bizarre.

I agree with everything BlueAingeal said, and would like to add a few points:

Gavin Friday is an incredible artist. In my opinion, 'Shag Tobacco' is one of the greatest albums ever recorded. 'Each Man Kills.." is considered as masterpiece (I can't find a copy).

His and Maurice's performances are fantastically unique and totally different to anything U2 (or anybody else to my knowledge) have ever done.

He's a very nice man, however if you have an aversion to eclectic, challenging, colourful and creative Dubliners then avoid having a conversation with him. You'll probably bore him stiff.

Finally, I truly believe that U2 owes MORE to Gavin Friday than Gavin Friday owes to U2. Ask any Mr Friday fan.

Cheers,
Jim

I saw him by the soundboard at the first show in San Diego :). Didn't get to meet him though :(.

My very poor picture taking skills on display here:
6fc43589.jpg

but if you squint, you might be able to see him wearing glasses :)

I can see him perfectly Kelly, ;) Hard not to miss him.

See the problem I am having is that I really want to him but I want to be on the rail of the catwalk so I dont know if I should try to meet him before the concert and have my brother save my spot or if he will still be around when everyone is clearing out. Which honestly no one can answer. I guess I will just have to wait to see what happens in Portland.

Btw Jim I completely agree. I love Shag, just such an awesome unique record. Like you I dont have Each Man either.

I met him outside the hotel in Chicago. Very cool man. He was just kinda walking around (in his flannel pajama pants) outside, and I said "Hi" to him. He was really surprised that I recognized. He stopped to chat for a bit and then took a picture with me. Good man...

never met him, but would love to. he and bono are so much alike i'd swear THEY were brothers. :wink: true soul mates, indeed. he seems like a very cool guy... very intelligent, articulate, and very funny. not at all like the negative things people are saying.. which... makes no sense to me about the dvd clip.

a great musician and songwriter, too.

BlueAingeal said:
I have met Gavin and he was amazing. He's not only a very nice man but also very respectful and very caring of U2 fans and his own fans.

For those of you who think that he is only famous for being Bono's friend ... you're wrong. The man is considered one of the most talented artists in Ireland. He has a great voice, and he is well known in the business for producing great soundtracks and many talented and recognised artists go to Dublin to record their albums just to work with him.
Besides, to understand how much he influences U2, you need to see Gavin performing to realise that Bono takes 90% of his moves from Gavin.

And one more thing, the reason why U2 hired him as a consultant is because Gavin is very professional and the band knows that Gavin Friday speaks his mind and he will provide the right feedback to them. Gavin will say what he thinks whether U2 likes it or not, the band trusts him and respects his opinions and ideas.

Have a nice day,

Blue.

I knew he posted here. :wink:

adamswildhoney, search for my post about saying hi to gavin and guggi. I was excited to see them, and they were v. gracious.

I've met Gav a few times, and just... you haven't met anyone like him. Meeting him will definitely become a good memory. At first it's daunting because of what he looks like, and then he makes you feel so welcome, especially if you get nervous like I did the first time I met him. This guy I knew who worked at the Clarence said Gavin is always happy when people come up and recognise him. He said the first time he saw Gavin and was introduced to him, Gav said, "You want my autograph?" He has a very vibrant personality.

I'd try going to the hotel-- I was there 20 minutes after he left in Manchester-- or like others said, try the soundboard.

I never really met Gavin but I saw him a lot when I was in Dublin four years ago for Slane.

For any of you who thinks he is a Bono poser, I think Gavin came first. Very cool dude.

i_love_adam said:
I first heard of him when watching the Chicago Beyond the Tour docu, and I have to agree withclaytons edge's negative opinion. He leaves an impression of a loudmouth, annoying lout and I think he just struck life lottery by getting to know bono "when we were 10 or 11 on Caedarwood Drive". Won't you just kill to be a "consultant to U2" too? Your say actually having an impact on the work U2 produces?
Gavin was around way before U2 made their mark on the world.

Brave newbie.

Yeah met and know Gavin ill mention it to him if his watchers have missed this. Hes a great guy always got loads of time and is a very talented person in his own right have a look at a few holywood DVDs under music score done by

so lay off him
a few pictures are here orginally posted and video clip done for gavinfriday.com

ww.richvideo.co.uk/bono/bonopages/peterandwolf/index.htm

QUOTE]Originally posted by Angel
I never really met Gavin but I saw him a lot when I was in Dublin four years ago for Slane.

For any of you who thinks he is a Bono poser, I think Gavin came first. Very cool dude.
[/QUOTE

i haven't met gavin, but i did see him in Dublin this past August walking down Grafton Street... he was carrying a guitar on his back and wearing very cool plaid pants. i know others who have met him, and say he's a really nice guy. :up:

Digsy, UKTan, Bammo and Wendy (I´m not sure if she posts here) are gonna be hanging out in Lillies in a couple of weeks so fingers crossed we get to meet Gav there! :wink:

Niamh_Saoirse said:
Digsy, UKTan, Bammo and Wendy (I´m not sure if she posts here) are gonna be hanging out in Lillies in a couple of weeks so fingers crossed we get to meet Gav there! :wink:

He's in Lillies on most Thursdays. Saw him quite a few times there. Guggi is there most of the time as well.

Back
Top Bottom