Funny stories!!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
europop2005 said:
does anyone know why edge got mad during the Boston dvd and threw down his guitar after "Gone"?

Probably because he made a small mistake of some sort. He's a perfectionist. Most really good artists are.

kafrun said:
^ :lol:

Speaking of funny concert stories - Bono and Edge tried to get a speaker phone working(Toronto 9/16) to call BB King for his birthday. They couldn't, so Bono just talked to him via regular phone. After we all sang him Happy Birthday, Bono laughed and said "I know we sound white, we're a rock band"

9/16 :heart:

What about all that occured before they gave up and used a regular phone. :lol: :cute:

Edge's a scientist, he needs quiet to concentrate..shhhhh!
:wink:

well theres bono's infamous golden globes speech that was accidently uncensored on network air

"this is really really f*cking brilliant"

hahahaha

This one comes from my friend Melissa, and it happened at (I think) a Pennsylvania date on POpmart.

It was, during "Pride" of all songs:ohmy: . It was during the "oh oh, oh oh", the crowd was REALLY loud, and Bono was outstreched on the stage in full glory. Melissa was looking in the direction of his, um, crotch area, ("I couldn't help it, you could see where my mind was!" she wrote in an email), and all of a sudden there appeared, well, a little bump that was more bumpish than normal. Bono put his hands over that area and bagn backing off.

God's honest truth, my friend does not lie.

Another comes from some old friends of mine, Kathy and Sue, who used to run a print fanzine in Detroit during the JT-ZooTV era. They decided poor Adam wasn't getting enough attention, and formed an Adam Fan Club. They had tix to 5 or 6 shows in a row, and front-row seats at that. Methinks they had connections...anyway, the first night, they brought "We love you, Adam"-type signs, posters, etc and cheered Adam on like nuts all through the show. Adam noticed of course, and played to them the rest of the night "like he had eaten Popeye's spinach." It was hilarious, seeing how turned on Adam was, when he got a little attention....On the 4th show they were at, during the B Stage set, ("Angel of Harlem" etc) Adam went right to the side of the stage where Kathy and her group usually were, and there they were.....he pointed out Kathy and her little group to Larry, as if to say, "see? I have fans too!" Larry began STARING down at them. :drool: :drool: But Kathy only thought, (as she wrote), "Hey Larry, has my face turned green or something?" (KATHY, WHAT WERE YOU THINKING? If Larry stared at ME ..!?!?!) I told her aboutt this and she said she was a Bono gal....Poor Larry, maybe staring was his way to se sexy, since he didn't know how to be sexy..but then, Larry doesn't HAVE to know how to be sexy, the man just EXISTS, you know???? This story was very funny to me as Larry might have been jealous of Adam for having some fans of his own cheering him on during a show.

Kathy also told me aobut an incident that happened in a hotel she was staying in, on one of those shows. It seems she and tour manager Dennis Sheehan were staying in the same hote. She and her sister were getting into an elevator one night after the show and when the door to one floor opened (apparently they were several stories up), she recognized Dennis and his wife. They got into the elevator, took one lookj at Kathyand her sister, and then began smooching, as if nobody was there. Thigns turned pretty hot pretty quickly. Dennis slammed his wife against the wall and "tongues and other things were exchanged..we then found it prudent to look away as I heard the rustle of clothing. Hey guys, if you want to shag, find a room!"

God's hinest truth, this stuff is true. It comes from the Detroit, Mich-based fanzine A Celebration.....from the days before the Internet. (Sigh). Those were the days....

An interview comes to mind, from Montreal in late May 2001, 4 days after Ali gave birth to John and the night before the infamous...well, you KNOW what happned on stage that night!:ohmy: Bono recalling how he and Edge had a fight after Angelina Jolie decided she wanted to work with Edge in the "Hold Me Thrill Me.." video.....Edge saying, "She could have chosen to have Bono, but instead she chose me!" and the audience cheering, and Bono STILL looking miffed. Later on in the interview, I remember, they were talking about the new baby and Bono abruptly shut his legs. Sorry if my mind is in the gutter but it was sweet knowing that a guy his age could be embarrassed like that.

Last edited:
yes - her part was cut from the movie
Edge was "acting" in front of a blue/ green screen

:eyebrow: I am generally a tiny bit unsure about these stories :shrug: ah well

dpmlk said:
What happened on stage in Montreal?

during the fly Bono pulled a girl called melissa(melpop) from the ccrowd and pulled her on top of him... he moaned loudly when she kissed his neck... rolled around with ehr.. straddled her roughly and ran away at the end of the song...
:drool: *relives video*
btw.. I do have links saved..
http://melpop.freeservers.com/

and ofcourse there also is some video proof.. :)
http://download.you sendit.com/01D18BF8535464D7

Last edited:
~BrightestStar~ said:

9/16 :heart:

What about all that occured before they gave up and used a regular phone. :lol: :cute:

Edge's a scientist, he needs quiet to concentrate..shhhhh!
:wink:
That was so great :lol: They were so cute, fiddling around with the phone and trying to get it to work.

Yep. Melpop's story.

OK, I wasn't clear. About Montreal...The band gave an interview for a Canadian program, and you guys are right, maybe it was the "Elevation" video....whatever the one was where Angelian was in it...and when they were in the planning stages, or the beginning of the shoot, whatever, Angelian revealed that she had a crush on Edge and wanted to do her acting bits with him. Bono was realy miffed at this and he said on the TV show that he and Edge had had a little fight about it. Edge said, "She could have chosen to have Bono, but instead, she chose me!" And yep, that show was right before the Melpop incident...which I still haven't seen???

Sorry if my stories come from ancedotal evidence from my old friends. I contributed to their fanzines in the early 90's and later I co-edited a print 'zine for the band Live as well.

Here's one from Pimm Jal de La Parra's book "U2 Live: A Concert Documentary." At one of the shows in the 2nd half of the "Boy" tour, somebody dropped a box of white mice onstage. The mice scattered everywhere, cuasing pandemonium, and it momentarily stopped the show....

(I wonder, how did you smuggle a box of mice into a club??)

the movie with Angelina Jolie was Tomb Raider, and the sountrack and clip was Elevation indeed, HMTMKMKM is the sountrack for Batman Forever, 1995, wich was an animated videoclip with Batman sequences in it..... Angelina Jolie wasn't in the actual videoclip, she was edited in it... as you can see in The Making Of Elevation, Edge did his scenes in front of a green screen, same as the screens of Evil u2 hanging in the sky(Bono was having WAY too much fun hanging on those wires :lol: )

you can see the melpop vid at the link I posted... the bottom one, don't forget to remove the space!

hope that clarified it for you :)

JCOSTER said:
There is also a story where he was giving an interview or something and decided to do it in the nude and stripped right there in the restaurant....anyone else have better details.

This has actually been asked before and I have answered this once before; This happened when Bono did an interview, for the April edition of The Face magazine, in a Russian restaurant in west London. I have a b/w photocopy of the article and I quote,

'But we haven't even got around to ordering the drinks when the world famous Irish rock singer, sober and seemingly in full command of his senses, decides to take all his clothes off. Just like that!
The white shirt goes first, then his black suede boots, followed by his socks, trousers and, last but not least, Y-fronts (black with white trim possibly Calvin Klein probably Marks & Spencer): "That's better." he sighs blissfully. "Now ask me a serious question if you dare."'

Ooh to have been a fly on the wall!! :drool: :combust: :faint: :evil:

Last edited:
Teta, I won't quote your rather substantial post, but may we kindly ask you (again, as Sicy did so early) to please edit your comments a bit in their sexual nature in regard to the band. Please refer to the FAQs if you need clarification as what is innapropriate for discussion.

Thank you.

Teta040 said:
(I wonder, how did you smuggle a box of mice into a club??)

My question would actually be more like, WHY did you smuggle mice into a club? :crack:

Sorry for not contributing in any way, I don't know any funny stories :reject: Although, you could look at Edge's Grammy speeches. They're so :cute: and funny!

Here is anther interview were Bono (and the others) take off their clothes. I haven’t listened to it in a long time so I can’t give anymore details.

http://www.save file.com/projects.php?pid=115686

ah the famous Nude interview with Dave Fanning.. :) JT era, Bono wearing blue boxers..
according to dave on a later interview, only Adam was completely naked.. the rest were in their undies...
:wink: spoiler yes.. I'll see if I have the link to the site with the transcript,... gotta have it somewhere here

*edit*
http://u2_interviews.tripod.com/id42.html

pattip2000 said:
Here is anther interview were Bono (and the others) take off their clothes. I haven’t listened to it in a long time so I can’t give anymore details.

http://www.save file.com/projects.php?pid=115686

Yeah, have this interview on audio tape! It's sooo funny!! I used to listen to it alot and image being a fly on the wall!! :drool: They didn't actually start taking their clothes off until towards the end of the show and, if memory serves, even Dave Fanning got into the act and stripped too!! :ohmy:

I'm too "hot" for PLEBA? Wow.

Oh my. After watching (and listening!!) to the Melpop video for the first time, I thought just about nothing was offlimits here....but I guess it;s a question of taste. It's like the difference between admitting you have erotic dreams about the band, and describing the dreams. I didn't know how uncomfortable it would make people..my bad:( .

For what it's worth, I was NOT making that stuff up. Believe me, I'd deserve to be banned if I was. The Dennis Sheehan story really does come from an old print 'zine, and the Bono tidbit, my friend witnessed with her own eyes and would swear to on a stack of Bibles.

But I see where you're coming from, Sicy. I guess b/c I don't hang out in PLEBA that often, I don't know the rules. Just b/c these were public incidents, I guess it really isn't any different than speculating on the band's private lives, which is inexcusable and which I've never done, honest.

Sorry if I offended anybody...it won't happen again. :sad: :sad: :sad: :banghead: :banghead: :reject: :reject:

Last edited:
Bono Mot said:
"U2 at the End of the World" is full of funny stories, but this one always tickles me. From Bono's dad:

"You'd say, 'Paul, will you slip upstairs and get me a hairbrush from the bedroom?'
He'd come back and you'd say, 'Where is it?'
'Where's what?'
'Why did you go upstairs, Paul?'
'To go to the toilet.'"

(I mean, duh, Dad!!! :scratch:}

That is so my son, we call him the absent minded professor! even though his is extremely smart!!!

hcbiggs2002 said:

This has actually been asked before and I have answered this once before; This happened when Bono did an interview, for the April edition of The Face magazine, in a Russian restaurant in west London. I have a b/w photocopy of the article and I quote,

'But we haven't even got around to ordering the drinks when the world famous Irish rock singer, sober and seemingly in full command of his senses, decides to take all his clothes off. Just like that!
The white shirt goes first, then his black suede boots, followed by his socks, trousers and, last but not least, Y-fronts (black with white trim possibly Calvin Klein probably Marks & Spencer): "That's better." he sighs blissfully. "Now ask me a serious question if you dare."'

Ooh to have been a fly on the wall!! :drool: :combust: :faint: :evil:

any bug on the wall would have been good.

Back
Top Bottom