FUN U2 quotes.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bono: I must say, there is a reall thrill to being onstage in front of 50,000 or 60,000 people. The event is much larger than the group and the audience. It's an amazing thing to see people united and in agreement, even if only for an hour and a half.

David Breskin: Does it ever frighten you, seeing that?

B No, because I never underestimate the intelligence of the U2 audience en masse. I actually feel that they know more about the group than we do.
We were in the audience when the Clash played Dublin. We just got up out of the audience ourselves and played. I feel very close to the audience. There's no sepration in my own mind. And I know if I told them all to stand on thier heads, they'd tell me where to go.

DB But you clench your fist in a particular way, and all 60,000 will clench thier fists accordingly. Is there not something within this gesture that gives you pause?

B When a Japanese man bows to another man, and the other man bows in response, that's nothing but a sign of consent. When people respond, or when they sing a song I've asked them to sing, they are just being part of a bigger theatrical event. The idea that they are rather moronically being lemmings, following Adam, Larry, Edge, and Bono off the cliff's edge with thier fists in the air, does not pay them enough respect. (<-- I guess that would be the key quote in this.)

DB But there is a power inherent in your position, and it would take a certain amount of deplicity or false humility on your part to suggest that there's not. And that power. . .

B Can be taken advantage of. Maybe.

DB And you never have intellectual of emotional hesitations about that kind of power?

B That kind? No. There are other kinds of power - the kinds that are not seen - that worry me. If you could see into the dressing rooms and offices of a lot of bands in our position, you would see the real abuse of power. Like making a promoter crawl because you are paying his wages; like making the road crew wait for four hours because you are late for a sound check; like the sexual abuse of people who are turned on by your music. I don't know whether I am guilty of all of those. Maybe I am. But that is the type of power I worry about in rock & roll.

biggrin.gif

------------------
Laura
~~~
Something to do with politics, kids, freshness, and breakthrough.
And love.

(Joan Baez)
~~~

[This message has been edited by On The Edge (edited 01-10-2002).]

Hi. These are some quotes I got from the MuchMusic Interview.. Sorry if this post is a bit long. they are in no order, I just copied the comments that I liked.

fatima

Bono: LIKE FIRST TWO MINUTES OF THE SONG (elevation), PEOPLE ARE RIGHT IN YOUR FACE AND THAT'S A LITTLE ODD. KIND OF LIKE DOING IT WITH THE LIGHTS ON. YOU WANT TO BE?YOU KNOW, YOU WANT TO BE REALLY IN LOVE WITH SOMEBODY

Q: INDOOR OR OUTDOOR SWIMMING POOLS?(Laughter)
Bono: I'M OVER CHLORINE.

Q: IS THERE SOMETHING BETWEEN THE FOUR OF YOU THAT PEOPLE ARE MISSING?
Bono: WE'RE ALL GAY. (Laughter)
Q: I'VE BEEN REPORTING THAT FOR THREE MONTHS.
Bono: DO YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THAT?
Q: IT'S AWESOME. GOOD FOR YOU. WHY DO YOU THINK WE CALL IT U2 DOES Much?

Q:A LOT OF PEOPLE LOVE TO SAY U2 HAS GOT A COMEBACK. U2 IS COMING BACK. DID YOU GO SOMEWHERE THAT WE DIDN'T HEAR ABOUT?
Bono: WE GOT ALL "ARTIE" ON PEOPLE. ISN'T THAT IT, LARRY?

Bono: I JUST CAN'T REALLY COPE WITH THE IDEA THAT AN IDEA CAN BE WORTH MORE THAN A HUMAN LIFE.

Q:IS IT DIFFICULT FOR YOU, FOR EXAMPLE, TO HAVE A LINE IN THE SAND AND THINK FIVE YEARS LATER, OH, IT'S NOT SO SCARY ON THAT SIDE. PERHAPS I CAN DO THIS.
Adam: NO. (Laughter)
Q: WE KNOW WHO MAKES ALL THE BUSINESS DEALS IN THE BAND. (Laughter)
Adam: LINES IN THE SAND. I DON'T KNOW ABOUT THAT SHIT. (Laughter)***gotta love Adam
wink.gif

Bono: ROCK MUSIC WAS ALWAYS A DIFFERENT THING FOR US. ROCK MUSIC WAS ALWAYS ABOUT CHANGING THE WORLD, BELIEVING THAT YOU COULD CHANGE THE WORLD, AT LEAST THE WORLD INSIDE YOUR HEAD OR THE WORLD INSIDE YOUR BEDROOM, YOU KNOW.

Q:AS A HUMAN BEING, WHAT IS YOUR GREATEST ACCOMPLISHMENT THAT PERHAPS IS LOST ON PEOPLE UNDER THE UMBRELLA OF U2?.....DON'T GIVE ME THE BASS PLAYER ANSWER. I WANT A REAL ANSWER THIS TIME.
Adam: I'D SAY YOU TRY CARRYING THAT THING FOR TWO HOURS. (Laughter) I DON'T KNOW. I MEAN KIND OF, YOU KNOW, BEING A PART OF THIS BAND AND ABLE TO MAKE THE RECORDS THAT WE MAKE AND ABLE TO DO THE SHOWS THAT WE DO, AND THAT KIND OF?THAT KIND OF DOES MOST OF IT FOR ME. THERE'S NOT MUCH ELSE LEFT OVER AFTER THOSE THINGS ARE DONE.

Bono: MUSIC IS LOVE. I THINK, YOU KNOW, AT A CERTAIN POINT, THAT'S WHAT WE WANT FROM IT. WE DRESS IT UP AS DIFFERENT THINGS, BUT MUSIC FOR ME IS MAGIC AND LOVE IT'S?MUSIC IS THE LANGUAGE OF THE SPIRIT IT'S HOW GOD SPEAKS TO US, AND THAT IS WHY IT IS SO OFTEN TRAMPLED ON AND WHY IT'S TURNED INTO, YOU KNOW, A PIECE OF SHIT...BUT WHAT IT CAN BE IS SOMETHING EXTRAORDINARY THAT REMINDS YOU OF WHAT YOU CAN BE. AND IT'S A BLESSING, I SUPPOSE.

Adam: DO YOU HAVE A CHAIR WITH A STRAIGHT BACK IN HERE? (Laughter) THESE ARE REALLY UNCOMFORTABLE.
Q: THEY ARE BUT WE WERE GOING FOR THE EROGENOUS ZONE THING.
Adam: WHAT WERE YOU SAYING? IT SOUNDED INTERESTING.
Q: THAT'S A TV LINE. (Applause) I WILL REPEAT.
YOU DEVELOP A RELATIONSHIP WITH PEOPLE THAT YOU NEVER MEET. IN SOME WAYS, IT COULD BE VERY PURE.
Adam: AND THEN YOU LEAVE THE NEXT MORNING.
Q: YEAH. DO YOU AT LEAST LEAVE THEM CAB FARE I GUESS?...DO YOU EVER TAKE THINGS FROM PEOPLE IN THAT RESPECT AND THEY DON'T KNOW THAT, HEY, THAT IS AN INSPIRATION?
Adam: I'M A BASS PLAYER. I DON'T WORRY ABOUT STUFF LIKE THAT. (Laughter) THAT'S A SINGER QUESTION.

BONO:THIS IS SOMEBODY I'VE ALWAYS WANTED TO MEET. (person dressed as macphisto)..."I JUST HAVE SOMETHING TO SAY TO YOU. ONE DAY, ALL OF THIS COULD BE YOURS."

Bono: I JUST SOMETIMES WOULD PREFER THAT WE WERE JUST A POP GROUP. I MEAN, I JUST CAN'T GET OVER THAT DESTINY'S CHILD RECORD. I'M THINKING I WANT TO BE IN AN R&B BAND AND GET THOSE DANCE MOVES DOWN, YOU KNOW.
Q: JUNE 7th, DESTINEY'S CHILD COME IN AS WELL FOR A BIG-TIME EVENT.
Bono: DO THEY SIT ON THESE SEATS?

Bono: IF YOU'RE SECURE, YOU DON'T BECOME A SINGER, DO YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYING? IF YOU NEED 20,000 PEOPLE A NIGHT SCREAMING "I LOVE YOU," TO FEEL NORMAL, YOU'RE A SINGER.

Q
biggrin.gif
O YOU HAVE A FINAL MESSAGE FOR THE CROWD TODAY? SOMETHING THEY CAN TAKE HOME WITH THEM, AS IF THIS WASN'T ENOUGH?
Larry: I'M NOT TAKING OFF MY CLOTHES.

This is _the_ quote, speically for us PLEBA girls.

"I do tend to idealize women"

And thanks for the quotes about fans, it was amazing!

------------------
"U2 on it?s own is a very interesting group and all. But U2 with it?s audience is a culture" - Bono

http://community.webshots.com/user/misszooropa
Pictures from Copenhagen (shirtless ones), London and Dublin, Slane.

Originally posted by fontive:
Bono: LIKE FIRST TWO MINUTES OF THE SONG (elevation), PEOPLE ARE RIGHT IN YOUR FACE AND THAT'S A LITTLE ODD. KIND OF LIKE DOING IT WITH THE LIGHTS ON. YOU WANT TO BE?YOU KNOW, YOU WANT TO BE REALLY IN LOVE WITH SOMEBODY

Bono: I JUST SOMETIMES WOULD PREFER THAT WE WERE JUST A POP GROUP. I MEAN, I JUST CAN'T GET OVER THAT DESTINY'S CHILD RECORD. I'M THINKING I WANT TO BE IN AN R&B BAND AND GET THOSE DANCE MOVES DOWN, YOU KNOW.
Q: JUNE 7th, DESTINEY'S CHILD COME IN AS WELL FOR A BIG-TIME EVENT.
Bono: DO THEY SIT ON THESE SEATS?

"Doing it with the lights on" *is scandalized by Bono*

Ok ... who thinks it would be hilarious for Bono to be doing choreographed dance moves on stage?

He really is smitten with DC ... (I still don't know why).

------------------
Jessica

"I turn slightly and catch Bono with half a Perrier bottle in his mouth. He's sucking the thing in such a manner it would put Madonna to shame!"

"I'm very secure with the fact that I'm not black. I'm white, pink and rosy. But I've got soul."
--Bono

?We make music you can have sex to.?
--Bono

"Girls boys listen me kiss love fun drink sick kiss cuddle sex swim sea rock and rub." (from the gates of Bono's house)

Originally posted by JessicaAnn:
"Doing it with the lights on" *is scandalized by Bono*

Ok ... who thinks it would be hilarious for Bono to be doing choreographed dance moves on stage?

He really is smitten with DC ... (I still don't know why).

I thought he said something like "you really have to be in love with someone to make it with the lights on" Almost the same as you quoted it but this is cuter. I dont' know, have to check it when I get home, I just love the Much interview.
smile.gif

And please, over my dead body for Bono to have choreographed dancemoves....

------------------
"U2 on it?s own is a very interesting group and all. But U2 with it?s audience is a culture" - Bono

http://community.webshots.com/user/misszooropa
Pictures from Copenhagen (shirtless ones), London and Dublin, Slane.

Originally posted by MissZooropa:

And please, over my dead body for Bono to have choreographed dancemoves....

What about something classy like the old motown singers (Four Tops; Temptations). Everyone would wear matching outfits ... LMAO.

Wait, this is Bono ... *runs to watch the video for the song I Will Follow* ... No dancing for Bono!

Just kidding ... I realy love the IWF video ... it is sooooo cute.

------------------
Jessica

"I turn slightly and catch Bono with half a Perrier bottle in his mouth. He's sucking the thing in such a manner it would put Madonna to shame!"

"I'm very secure with the fact that I'm not black. I'm white, pink and rosy. But I've got soul."
--Bono

?We make music you can have sex to.?
--Bono

"Girls boys listen me kiss love fun drink sick kiss cuddle sex swim sea rock and rub." (from the gates of Bono's house)

?Here?s to the future! The only limits are the limits of our imagination. Dream up the kind of world you want to live in, dream out loud, at high volume.?
-- Bono, The Point Depot, January 1st 1990

------------------
*+*MaRiA*+*
got the swing, got the sway, got my straw in lemonade

"Without any one of us the fragile uniqueness and special quality of U2 would be gone forever."

Adam said this. and i was thinking about how true it is, not just in regards to the band, but including their fans, also.

That may seem a little egotistical, thinking that without me, a fan, some of the special quality would be gone, but hell, i think it's true!

Back
Top Bottom