Freestylin' Friday - Edge Rising

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
13714443.jpg

13714445.jpg

13714412.jpg

13714406.jpg

BonoFox1 said:
"I BOUGHT LARRYS DRUM!!! "

I just made it back to Florida after a long drive from NYC. It was quite a trip...the weather was beautiful, the auction was the time of my life, and I got to watch the Red Sox beat the Yankees in a New York City bar. The perfect weekend!

Saturday was a long day. I arrived at the Hard Rock at 3:00pm and didnt get out until 1:00am. It was an open bar with lots of food but I was too nervous to eat or drink. A couple hours into it my little brother snuck in and took some pics for me. No one even checked my ticket to get in but that money went to charity too so its all good.

I never really knew if Edge would be there but he was along with his guitar tech Dallas Schoo, some people from Principle Management, and celebs Christy Turlington, Edward Burns, and Little Steven.

There were some good deals but most everything went pretty high. I bought the Buddy Holly shirt and pants, 200 Bruce Springsteen photos and slides from a 1980 concert,......and Larry's white drum. The one he and Bono use on Love And Peace Or Else.

I stood next to Edge and Dallas all night and even got into a few bidding wars with them. They usually won but it got my heart pounding everytime. If you think the closing seconds of an Ebay auction are exciting ...try bidding every penny you've got against the Edge while the whole Hard Rock is watching!

I regretted not buying the Clapton owned Fender Stratocaster (which Edge beat me out on) but it was unclear whether that was a 50's model or an 80's reissue. One is worth $2000 and the other $50,000+ so it would have been nice to know for sure. I know Edge thought it was vintage so there would have been no beating him out. Of course that was one of the very few guitars that wasn't there to inspect. Other regrets were the Kurt Cobain pawn shop receipts, Elvis photos, and of course, Edge's Les Paul Custom.

By the end of the night I was one of the last bidders there waiting to pay. I guess most people get invoiced and have their items shipped to them. Not me, I paid up and walked down Broadway with that drum! I noticed the guy who won the Eddie Vedder signed surfboard doing the same thing!

This was a once in a lifetime experience that I'll never forget. U2 shows usually serve as reuinions and vacations for me and my old friends but I was mostly on my own for this one (and sometimes you cant make it on your own.. haha). I've seen U2 about 15 times and that Les Paul (and its owner) have blown me away at every show. To state the obvious I really regret not having more money to buy that guitar...

Then I had flashbacks of listening to "Under A Blood Red Sky" as a kid and trying to keep up with the drums on my bed. (Pillows=tom toms, math book=snare, lamp=cymbal, etc). So buying one of U2's drums brought back some fond memories.

I first started learning about guitars while reading about Edge's gear. I was dead broke, sleeping in my car, with no place to stay when I decided I would become a guitar dealer. I started out buying two effects for $35 that I read that Edge used and luckily sold them for a quick profit. Then I worked my way up to guitars and amps. Now I buy high end and vintage guitars every day and it all started by following U2. If Edge didnt have such great taste in guitars or if I was a Motley Crue fan these last ten years would have been a whole lot different!

Bono often thanks the crowd for giving the band a great life. I've come a long way from drumming on math books and making business plans at 3:00am while parked in an empty rest stop. Being able to attend that auction and buy a real piece of U2 memerabilia means the world to me. They're the one's that have given me the great life. And that's on top of all the great music, shows, and friends I've made and kept through them along the way.

emann71

what things did Dallas win or bid on?

BonoFox1 said:
"I BOUGHT LARRYS DRUM!!! "

I just made it back to Florida after a long drive from NYC. It was quite a trip...the weather was beautiful, the auction was the time of my life, and I got to watch the Red Sox beat the Yankees in a New York City bar. The perfect weekend!

Saturday was a long day. I arrived at the Hard Rock at 3:00pm and didnt get out until 1:00am. It was an open bar with lots of food but I was too nervous to eat or drink. A couple hours into it my little brother snuck in and took some pics for me. No one even checked my ticket to get in but that money went to charity too so its all good.

I never really knew if Edge would be there but he was along with his guitar tech Dallas Schoo, some people from Principle Management, and celebs Christy Turlington, Edward Burns, and Little Steven.

There were some good deals but most everything went pretty high. I bought the Buddy Holly shirt and pants, 200 Bruce Springsteen photos and slides from a 1980 concert,......and Larry's white drum. The one he and Bono use on Love And Peace Or Else.

I stood next to Edge and Dallas all night and even got into a few bidding wars with them. They usually won but it got my heart pounding everytime. If you think the closing seconds of an Ebay auction are exciting ...try bidding every penny you've got against the Edge while the whole Hard Rock is watching!

I regretted not buying the Clapton owned Fender Stratocaster (which Edge beat me out on) but it was unclear whether that was a 50's model or an 80's reissue. One is worth $2000 and the other $50,000+ so it would have been nice to know for sure. I know Edge thought it was vintage so there would have been no beating him out. Of course that was one of the very few guitars that wasn't there to inspect. Other regrets were the Kurt Cobain pawn shop receipts, Elvis photos, and of course, Edge's Les Paul Custom.

By the end of the night I was one of the last bidders there waiting to pay. I guess most people get invoiced and have their items shipped to them. Not me, I paid up and walked down Broadway with that drum! I noticed the guy who won the Eddie Vedder signed surfboard doing the same thing!

This was a once in a lifetime experience that I'll never forget. U2 shows usually serve as reuinions and vacations for me and my old friends but I was mostly on my own for this one (and sometimes you cant make it on your own.. haha). I've seen U2 about 15 times and that Les Paul (and its owner) have blown me away at every show. To state the obvious I really regret not having more money to buy that guitar...

Then I had flashbacks of listening to "Under A Blood Red Sky" as a kid and trying to keep up with the drums on my bed. (Pillows=tom toms, math book=snare, lamp=cymbal, etc). So buying one of U2's drums brought back some fond memories.

I first started learning about guitars while reading about Edge's gear. I was dead broke, sleeping in my car, with no place to stay when I decided I would become a guitar dealer. I started out buying two effects for $35 that I read that Edge used and luckily sold them for a quick profit. Then I worked my way up to guitars and amps. Now I buy high end and vintage guitars every day and it all started by following U2. If Edge didnt have such great taste in guitars or if I was a Motley Crue fan these last ten years would have been a whole lot different!

Bono often thanks the crowd for giving the band a great life. I've come a long way from drumming on math books and making business plans at 3:00am while parked in an empty rest stop. Being able to attend that auction and buy a real piece of U2 memerabilia means the world to me. They're the one's that have given me the great life. And that's on top of all the great music, shows, and friends I've made and kept through them along the way.

emann71

Great story. Can you post your source...otherwise it looks like this is your story.

This doesn't sound quite right to me.

"I regretted not buying the Clapton owned Fender Stratocaster (which Edge beat me out on) but it was unclear whether that was a 50's model or an 80's reissue. One is worth $2000 and the other $50,000+ so it would have been nice to know for sure. I know Edge thought it was vintage so there would have been no beating him out."

Hmmm. Why wouldn't Edge KNOW it was vintage, if he has Dallas working for him, is co-founder of MR with the president of Gibson Guitars, and has owned guitars all his life? And what would Adam be doing with an 80s reissue if he can easily afford the real thing?

Re Bob Ezrin, he's a very cool guy, as many Canadians are.

Last edited:
Mirjam said:
With all my love to Adam...-I must tell that he looks...Hmmm...A little bit TOO BROWN ;)

I was thinking he looks very :drool: worthy! His eyes are so blue and the silver hair *swoon* (and i'm a Bono girl).

Well...Brown or not- he's always the number one for me :) ;)

Great pictures!

Im happy for those people who met him:) It had to be great!:)

But I hope he's back to Dublin soon ;) Would be nice to see him there;)

Last edited:
arw9797 said:

Great story. Can you post your source...otherwise it looks like this is your story.

**Yeah it does look like Im the drum owner*Damn I wish!!*..the fan is "emann71 "he posted this on U2.com and my friend e-mailed it to me...

I definately DO NOT HAVE that kind of money to spend!!!:(

SORRY FOR THE CONFUSION!!! if anyone thought I was th ebid winner, I was posting this at work b4 the boss came by..:)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom