Free Falling, Chapter 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Effanbee

The Fly
Free Falling
Chapter 2

First light, pooling golden across my bed, blessing us like the first dawn in Eden. Bono curled around me like a shell, deeply asleep, quiet and at peace.

So many years since I’d shared my bed with anyone, or woken to the feel of someone’s body warmth. I savoured the feeling, the slow rise and fall of Bono’s chest against my back, his breath on my neck, his legs fitted behind mine. No cares, no guilt, no worrying about the future. Just a new day, being with the man I loved.

Very carefully I turned round to look at Bono. Even in sleep I could see he looked weary, some new lines etched on his face by stress. His hair was shorter, with a few strands of grey showing through and he was thinner than I remembered.
You need to be looked after, I thought. And while you’re here, with me, I’ll do everything I can to help you. Whatever the cost.

Bono turned on his back with a little sigh, drawing me close against his warm body. He was beginning to swim up from the depths of sleep. The wonderful blue eyes opened, a moment of disorientation until he remembered where he was. Bono looked down at me and smiled. ‘Hey there, little woman.’

‘Morning, handsome man.’

Bono stretched luxuriously. ‘I haven’t slept so well in years,’ he said, yawning. Then the realisation of where he was sank in. ‘Oh. Oh, hell, Roo. What must you be thinking of me, turning up in the middle of the night and leaping into bed with you …’

‘Hardly leaping,’ I said with a smile. ‘More like falling down exhausted.’

‘Hmm. Not a good image, that.’

‘Poo to your image,’ I said. ‘Besides, you wouldn’t be in my bed if I hadn’t wanted you here. I’d have just rolled your unconscious body into the spare room.’

‘I don’t doubt that,’ Bono chuckled.

Bono’s stomach, waking up a little later than the rest of him, made a rumble.

‘Sounds like a call for breakfast,’ I observed.

‘Yeah, I’m all kinds of hungry,’ said Bono with a trace of his old wickedness.

‘Better attend to it then,’ I said, sitting up. I leaned over to kiss him. ‘Welcome back, Bono.’

I left him watching the morning light making patterns across the ceiling and went to the kitchen. Effy and Beep were waiting expectantly by their food bowls and I thanked them for not disturbing us in the night. Then toast and honey, some muesli, fruit and lots of tea …

Carrying the laden tray back to the bedroom I saw that the cats had got there before me. Beep, the cat with no brain, was pogoing around the bed, attacking Bono’s feet under the covers. Effy, older and more dignified, watched the game from Bono’s lap. It was good to see Bono laughing, the years falling away from him.

‘All furry monsters out!’ I ejected the cats and sat on the bed facing Bono, who was laying into the food as if he hadn’t eaten for a week. Which he probably hadn’t, by the look of him, I thought.

Between mouthfuls, Bono told me of his epic journey from America, how the flight was delayed, ran into turbulence over the Pacific and the rather iffy landing in Auckland.

‘Then I got lost on the way out here,’ he said. ‘It took me ages to work out I was looking at a map of South Island.’

‘Still taking the alternative route, then?’ I teased him.

Bono nodded, smiling ruefully. ‘I got into this bloody great forest and went round in circles for about an hour. I got here more by luck than judgement, for sure.’

‘Well, it’s good to know some things don’t change,’ I laughed.

Bono leaned back against the pillows, eyeing me over the rim of his tea-cup. ‘You haven’t changed, Roo,’ he said.

I shrugged. ‘A few years older, a bit wiser, a tad richer thanks to my book.’

‘That was great, you getting the book published. I wanted to come to the launch, but we were in the studio, in the middle of the last album.’ Bono’s smile faded a bit.

‘No worries, I knew you’d be busy. Besides, I couldn’t have you stealing the limelight on my big day,’ I said lightly.

‘You still know how to put me in my place,’ Bono grinned. He was quiet for a while, studying me enigmatically. As if he was weighing up a decision, I thought.
Bono took my ankle in his hand, traced the bones of my foot with his fingers. ‘Want to come back to bed?’

My heart stopped dead in my chest. Yes, he had slept with me last night, but this was not about sleeping. Heart racing now, say something for God’s sake …

‘If I do, we might not get up all day.’

‘Well, we’re not planning on going anywhere, are we?’

‘No,’ I said slowly. ‘But don’t you think we should talk about why you’re here?’

Bono sighed. ‘Yes, probably.’

‘Then again, I’ve just about had it with being sensible.’

Bono smiled. ‘Really?’

‘Really and truly.’

Bono lifted the tray off the bed and I slid beneath the covers beside him.

‘Just one thing,’ I said as Bono turned towards me. ‘It’s, um, been rather a long time for me. I think I may have forgotten how.’

‘Don’t you worry,’ said Bono softly. ‘Don’t worry about a thing. I have control …’

He certainly did have control. And technique. And passion like I’d never known before. Lying beside Bono, the palm of my hand feeling his heartbeat gradually slowing to normal, I was amazed and awed at what we had done, how natural and good it felt. The energy of our desire could light up a city, light up the whole world.

Bono stroked my shoulder, down my back, slow, calming strokes. No need for ‘was it good for you?’ questions - we were old enough to know good without asking. The world moved on, unimportant, and we drifted together down the gentle river of sleep.

I woke up alone, for a horrible moment thinking I’d dreamed the whole thing. Then I saw Bono’s clothes in a pile on the floor, the state of the bed and the way my body felt confirmed that it was all real. I sighed with relief, stretched and got up to see where Bono had gone.

He was outside, in the garden, basking in the warm late-afternoon sun. I sat down beside him, feeling absurdly shy and not knowing quite what to say. Bono put his arm round me and smiled. ‘Hello there, sleepy. I didn’t want to wake you, you looked so peaceful. How’re you feeling?’

‘Happy. And a bit strange … sort of languid. How about you?’

‘Oh, you’ve totally exhausted me,’ said Bono dramatically, lying back on the grass with a big grin on his face.

‘Wicked man!’ I giggled, stroking his chest. ‘If you want to play exhausted, you should wear something less revealing than boxers,’ I whispered in his ear.

‘Ooops, now how did that happen?’ said Bono, all innocence, kissing my neck and running his hand up my thigh.

With the scent of crushed grass rising around us, we made our own song together until evening shadows crept across the garden, cooling our skins.

Later, revived by showers, we curled up on the sofa in bathrobes. I wondered when Bono was going to get round to telling me just why he’d felt the need to run away to New Zealand. I didn’t want to needle him about it and, more selfishly, didn’t want to spoil this incredible day. He’ll talk about it when he wants to, I thought. For now the real world can go to hell. He’s with me, I love him, and God knows I’ve waited long enough for this.

The TV was burbling away to us, news items telling of tragedies and triumphs. Then the words that cut through my reverie ‘… rumours of the break-up of super-group U2 are still unconfirmed. Lead singer Bono was unavailable for comment today. U2’s management would neither confirm nor deny …’

‘Well, there you go, Roo,’ Bono said with a sigh. ‘Do you want to hear the story?’

‘Tell me,’ I said gently, taking his hands in mine.

Bono took a deep breath. ‘We always said that if we ran out of new ideas, if the music started sounding mechanical and tired, we’d stop. Not just keep going for no good reason, none of needs the money, we play because we have something to say, to share with people.

‘The last album, it was really hard to make. There were more arguments than usual, a lot of negotiations and compromise. It was tough, and then we had to go on tour. Again.’ Bono shook his head, gathered his thoughts.

‘I found it harder and harder to go out on stage every night. Really sing from the heart, y’know. I was relying more and more on the audience to lift me, light the spark. I’ve never been so relieved as when that tour was ended.

‘We were all looking forward to getting back to our families …’ Bono stopped, looking down, looking ashamed. ‘I found I didn’t have a home life to go back to,’ he said quietly. ‘Too much time away, too many different directions. There was a lot of conflict.’ Bono looked so sad, my heart went out to him.

‘I ended up trying to put it all back together from a hotel room. Everyone giving me advice, people saying do this, do that. I was being pulled apart, going nowhere, nothing being resolved.

‘I’ve always had a fairly clear idea about where I’m going, Roo. Now, for the first time, I’ve totally lost my way. I knew I needed to get away from everything, everyone, so I could get some perspective.

‘I thought of you, out here at Sweetwaters. I often do, you know.’ Bono looked up at me with such naked honesty in his eyes that my heart and soul melted away. ‘It seemed the only place on earth I could run to. If you would let me in, that is. I knew you wouldn’t judge me.’ Bono looked down again. ‘Thought you might kick my ass, though.’

I put my arms around him, held him tight. ‘No ass-kicking needed,’ I told him. ‘You take all the time you need. You said to me once that there’s always an answer and that’s the truth, Bono. It’ll come when the time is right.’

‘Roo, my angel,’ murmured Bono, his breath warm on my neck. ‘You deserve better than this. A better man than me.’

‘Bono, my wonderful, exasperating, handsome, infuriating man. I’ve got exactly what I deserve,’ I said with a smile. ‘Tomorrow we’ll put our heads together and see … but now it’s time for clean sheets, soft pillows and rest.’

‘Sounds good,’ said Bono tiredly.

‘You go ahead, I’ll just do the night rounds, check on the animals. I won’t be long.’

The moon cast its benevolent light on me as I moved through the yard, dizzying my head. I lifted my arms and whispered, ‘Thank you for bringing him to me. Help me to help him. Please.’ I didn’t know to whom or what I was talking but felt certain I was being heard.

Back in the bedroom, Bono was snugged into my bed. ‘Boots and bathrobe, now that’s an interesting look,’ he commented sleepily. ‘I saw you through the window, doing your little moondance in the back yard.’

‘Pagan ritual,’ I explained, blushing scarlet. ‘I’m a witch in my spare time, didn’t y’know?’

Bono chuckled and opened the bed covers invitingly. I shivered a bit from the cool night air and Bono folded himself around me, sharing his warmth. Despite all the mountainous problems we had to face from the real world, for the moment we had peace and comfort and contentment, and it was enough.

Hi,Effanbee.Love this chapter,it was really great,just lovely.Glad Bono got in touch with Roo and went back to her and glad they were finally really together.Glad you're continueing from Learning To Fly.I started to read chapter 1 of Learning To Fly when you first put it up,but wasn't able to finish reading it and never got back to finishing that part or the rest of that story,untill now,I'm on chapter 8 of Learning To Fly and loving that story.Looking forward to reading more of Free Falling.Ok,on to reading the rest of Learning To Fly,lol.

Another beautifully worded and well constructed chapter.

Well done.

Heart warming... yet.. foreboding all the same.
Or, perhaps it's just me projecting upon it.......

Hi Girls,

Long time lurker, first time poster here! Hi everyone :wave:

Effanbee, I just wanted to say how very much I enjoyed Learning to Fly - your characters were so realistic, and the bittersweet outcome was so believable.

And now I've got this sequel to look forward to reading... I just hope I'm wrong about how it will all end!

Welcome PJW :wave: I lurked for ages before plucking up the courage to post - you know there's no going back now, don't you? :shifty: Glad you enjoyed LTF, it was fun to write.

BDO long time no post? Good to see you back :hug: Are you writing anything yet?

I totally love this. It's so readable, it's a pleasure to read especially the way you've broken up all the paragraphs... I find if something is written in great long paragraphs, I grow bored...:reject: I'm just a lazy cow I guess. :lol:

Anyway, I love the way you've suggested the rumpy pumpy without actually going into detail. It's every bit as good the way you've done it then if it were more graphically written.:up: (that's not to say I don't want to read about antics with Bono :evil: but I guess there's rules to follow).

Anyway, brilliant again...so back to the keyboard, you!! :lol:

:sad: they're not gonna break up are they? (I'm talking about U2 here!)

:cute: B is adorable when he's lost his way... I love the way you describe him!

Lovely, I was always hoping they would get together. :wink:

OH no! U2 can't break up!!:sad:

I love this and can't wait for the next part. :love:

I liked reading learning to fly.. but yep I think I like this one better because Roo and Bono are together, just as it should be:wink:

:hug: See, I told you everyone would love it! And understandable so because the whole thing is f*cking awesome. Big :up: :D
I wish my stories were PG-enough to post here :tongue:

Just edit them, dearest daughter! It's nice to leave SOME things to the imagination :wink: Or you could take over one of the other stories from me cos I've got the characters into some impossible situations :ohmy:

Effanbee said:
Welcome PJW :wave: I lurked for ages before plucking up the courage to post - you know there's no going back now, don't you? :shifty: Glad you enjoyed LTF, it was fun to write.

BDO long time no post? Good to see you back :hug: Are you writing anything yet?

Hello! :)

I've been out and about... and venturing beyond the walls of PLEBA... and then lurking a little too (the horror!), hence I haven't posted much lately.

Well... I've messed around with some ideas. There's a few strands not so neatly constructed of ideas. But I grew impatient with the build up as I assume an audience would too - and jumped straight to the climax of the story. And now... am finding it hard to go back and fill in the details.

I don't kow if it will ever see the light of day.

I'm glad to see that you decided to post the sequel - it's beautifully done, once again. And I've really enjoyed what you've done so far and it seems you're fanclub is growing!! It really is beautiful work and I eagerly await the next installment :hug:

:)

Stick with it, BDO! Sounds as if you've got the bones of your story there, just need to flesh it out a bit … I hear what you're saying re the build-up and being impatient with it, it happened with my stories too. But as a reader I like the stories with a bit of build-up - YDW's latest one is a great example.

I'm already looking forward to reading yours, c'mon, go for it!!

thanks, Galeongirl & love2bmama for the heads-up on the fanfic site - there are some seriously talented writers out there! :up:

youvedonewhat said:

That's a point! Where is Effanbee? Pfft...Methinks the site should be updated.

I SAID, METHINKS THE SITE SHOULD BE UPDATED...:lol:

*Whispers*...Is anybody listening?.... :evil:

:hmm: it's been like, a year since Honey updated the site tho... and ages since the site has been updated by members too....

:tsk: you bad fanfic writers you.....

Back
Top Bottom